Benjamin Allbright claims word is Jets likely to draft a first round QB

Jetsbb

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If the GM is truly "on the hot seat", this who debate is moot.  We'd sign Culter, start Cutler, and have McCown back him up.

If we don;t do that, it likely says the GM is not as on the hot seat as some of us fans think he is.

Why?  

Say we draft Trubisky.  In 2017, we start Hackenberg, #2 McCown, and #3 Trubisky.  No one is going to be burning down the gates to Jetsland over that, it's emminently reasonable.  We get to see what Hack is or isn't, and Trubs gets a year to sit and learn (which is NOT a bad thing).

His job is ties to whomever plays QB's performance.  You don;t get to keep being GM just because you refuse to bank on a young QB.  Be assured, hsi future right now depends only on Hack.....getting another gives him some room, not less room, to be retained.

And when the Jets go 5-11, and pick 9th, the whole "bank on better prospects in 2018" concept is utterly destroyed, Hack has failed, and the Jets find themselves with no QB prospects on the roster and no ability to draft a QB prospect.  THAT, my friend, is how a GM gets fired.

you can trade up from 5-11. a better record than that means somethings working.

Youre assessment of situation is again, sound. You're looking at "what's the best way to develop the team and find a QB"... but it's not "how do i do my job and keep it". 

Hack would have to be better than "Ok" to keep the team from starting the guy they drafted at 6 at some point. Chances of Hack being OK in 2017 are not good. So if you're evaluating the GM, you're looking at a 2nd round suspect prospect faceplanting after being red shirted, and 1st round QB who either didn't see the field, or did and didn't do well (in all likelyhood).... why would give that guy another shot at the draft?  I wouldn't, and nor should you. He'll be in year 4 and stagnant. 

I don't see it man. Too many moving parts tied to QB success in a situation in which QB success is not likely to happen in 2017. It's a safer situation to baptize by fire with hack and petty, use Josh to bandeaide your way through it if need be, and be able to properly clean your hands of the situation in 2018 and address in a more focused manner. 

Lets put it this way, would you stake your life/job/mortgage on the success of Hackenberg and Trubisky? The answer is fck no. I got kids to feed. I'd bet on a better horse.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, prime21 said:

You can't compare a college defense to an NFL defense but if you were picking one that plays on such a high level then it would be Alabama.

Watson threw for over 400 yards in each championship game vs Alabama.  Saban had to be better prepared for him this year after facing him the year prior yet he still went out there and threw for 420 and the winning drive.   

The kid has some deficiencies but he is able to excel using his strengths.   That's the sign of a good QB.

We also have to give Dabo a TON of credit for his gameplanning Chip Kelly style and totally gassing the Bama defense.  Bama was dominating for 3 quarters, then it came undone in the 4th. Then all of a sudden Watson looks elite. And he was still overthrowing WRs deep, but they just kept going hard at it and he hit more than he missed in the end. Amazing game, amazing finish...but don't chage how poorly Watson looked against Bama for the majority of it.

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

but it's not "how do i do my job and keep it".

Excellent post...but this ^^^ right here is not the mark of a good franchise. A good owner would establish the plan with the GM and would lay out expectations for the next 5 years, not just flippantly change direction year to year. That approach of GMing to keep the job is the direct result of having a weak owner.

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If the GM is truly "on the hot seat", this who debate is moot.  We'd sign Culter, start Cutler, and have McCown back him up.

If we don;t do that, it likely says the GM is not as on the hot seat as some of us fans think he is.

Why?  

Say we draft Trubisky.  In 2017, we start Hackenberg, #2 McCown, and #3 Trubisky.  No one is going to be burning down the gates to Jetsland over that, it's emminently reasonable.  We get to see what Hack is or isn't, and Trubs gets a year to sit and learn (which is NOT a bad thing).

His job is ties to whomever plays QB's performance.  You don;t get to keep being GM just because you refuse to bank on a young QB.  Be assured, hsi future right now depends only on Hack.....getting another gives him some room, not less room, to be retained.

And when the Jets go 5-11, and pick 9th, the whole "bank on better prospects in 2018" concept is utterly destroyed, Hack has failed, and the Jets find themselves with no QB prospects on the roster and no ability to draft a QB prospect.  THAT, my friend, is how a GM gets fired.

Yeah the crazy thing is we can easily win 3-4 games next year, have no shot at Darnold, and still have yet another embarassing God-Awful season 

15 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i think it's much easier for mccags to justify trading back into the teens, perhaps trading back twice.  then if he takes a qb in the first round, he'll also have multiple extra picks for the value at #6.  i do not think they go qb at #6, mccags will not reach that much from the value.  

it might be the best strategy to draft a qb and let all of them audition.  ultimately, mccags will only remain the gm if one of his drafted qbs becomes a viable starter, so it does make sense for both himself and the franchise to have more coals in the fire.  

Mac knows he is fired after next season unless he finds a decent Qb in the 2017 draft, not 2018 

5 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

If they love Trubisky then you go for it. But from the off season moves...it looks more like Mac is tanking and gearing up for the 2018 QB sweepstakes.

Also, if reports of Mac/Bowles been given the greenlight from Woody to do a proper rebuild, I don't see Mac rushing to draft a QB this year.

This year Mac could evaluate Hack, who could be so bad he leads us to Darnold/Allen/Rosen/Rudolph...or could be such a surprise that he looks like a genius.

Bowles LOL

What a joke that he is still employed here.

7 minutes ago, thadude said:

Yeah the crazy thing is we can easily win 3-4 games next year, have no shot at Darnold, and still have yet another embarassing God-Awful season 

I don't like pulling the "next year's crop" card -- but in this case, it's like comparing 2014 (Blake and Manzie) and 2015 (Winston/Mariota). It's NOT Darnold or bust. There's Rosen, Allen, Falk, Jackson... lots of fruit there. This year is not good. At all. 

8 minutes ago, thadude said:

Mac knows he is fired after next season unless he finds a decent Qb in the 2017 draft, not 2018 

Mac "knows"?

LOL @ your complete speculation stated as a fact on this issue.    How do YOU know this?  Do you have inside info?  In fact, it looks to be just the opposite.  With all the tear-down/rebuild actions, the stronger inference would be that Mac has been given more, not less time, and will get a pass on 2017 in order to do the ugly necessities that a rebuild requires.  Your logic is faulty to the nth degree on this one.  The truth is no one on this board knows whether he is on the hot seat for 2017 or has been given the rebuild blessing to come back in 2018.

6 minutes ago, thadude said:

i agree, i think he is a goner unless either hack or whomever he drafts shows promise this season.  this is why woody is basing this season on player development, as he should.  

8 minutes ago, thadude said:

You are full of it and as wrong as Cimini and JoEWilly12 trying to recite the alphabet by memory. Declaring your pessimistic opinion as fact doesn't make it so. 

Just now, Augustiniak said:

i agree, i think he is a goner unless either hack or whomever he drafts shows promise this season.  this is why woody is basing this season on player development, as he should.  

Disagree. He's definitely on thin ice though. Which again, is why throwing a Trubisky hail mary is not the play. If the rest of the team takes a step forward with powerplayer like Fournette/Williams/Cook and some moving pieces on defense -- he may get another shot at the loaded QB class next year.

Over-drafting a QB like Watson or Trubisky and tying yourself that guy and Hack in 2017... 5% chance of success there.

44 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Maybe he's not on the hotseat now because fans havent watched the 2017 Jets team on the field and havent put up billboards, websites and made towels. 

Maybe he should be on the hotseat. After all, this is a guy who received a team heading into 2015 that was completely blown up and had 150 million dollars to spend that offseason. 2 seasons later we're talking about this team having to "lose on purpose" and for us to establish talent, meanwhile our cap is damn near at the limit like we're a team that is a playoff contender and we have the highest deadcap in the league so we have to "blow it up" again.  

Whether he's on the hotseat or not, we wont know until the Jets start winning/losing and the Fans react to what's happening on the field. But everything leading up to this point this guy has done a poor job. Lets be real here, Maccagnans highlights as a GM is how he's contrstructed contract to where he can get out of it after a year or 2 given that his signings have ended up blowing up in his face. 

Let this season get "McCown" ugly and I'd bet that this dude's seat will be rather toasty. 

Why?  

Sure, no one will be willing to burn it down on in March, come mid October and it looks like our season is already done whats the first thing you're going to hear? Why did Macc not go out and get any other FA QB that could have actually been a starter, such as Foles, Kaep (well, maybe not Kaep), etc. The 2nd thing will be "Every Jets fan knew that Hackenberg wasnt ready. It takes more than just 1 season with zero reps because he was the #4 to suddenly be thrown to the wolves like that. He just imploded a 2nd round pick. The 3rd thing? Why in the blue hell did we sign this JAG Josh McCown? Dude has won just 18 games in 17 years. The 4th thing? How do you draft a QB at #6 and he's not good enough to win the job over Hackenberg or McCown? 

You and I both know that this is what Jetnation will sound like if the Jets are 2 and 6 in mid October. Yeah, it's cool to say that "we're not looking to win this year" but the moment you take a QB 6th overall that sh*t it out the window. You know it and I know it. Im not saying that you have to agree with that notion, im simply saying that we both know that this is what will be said. 

It depends, To draft 3 QB's in 3 years with 2 of them coming with high value picks doesnt bode well for any GM. Also taking into account his history of swinging and missing on a veteran QB with an outlandish contract and then followed that up with paying arguably the worst starting QB in the league 6 million to sit on your bench. 

That spacious feeling can start feeling like one of those rooms where the ceiling is too low to stand but the walls are too narrow for you to lay. 

And the thought of throwing a 2nd round QB who wasnt even good enough to fully participate in last years preseason or to play in a meaningless week 17 game suddenly into the starting role while putting the 40 year old vet you just paid 6 million to on the bench while drafting a QB with the 6th pick...practically guaranteeing that the GM didnt provide an impact offensive player that could contribute to the success of the team or Hackenberg immediately such as a RB/WR/TE/OL, only to cut your veteran 4th round QB that you didnt get a chance to fully evaluate in order to make room for that 40 year old, while at the same time throwning your 2nd round project to the wolves given that you've done nothing with an OLine that got every starting QB last year injured will most definitely get you fired. 

Because things like that puts you on the hot seat, even if you werent on one during the offseason in March. 

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I don't like pulling the "next year's crop" card -- but in this case, it's like comparing 2014 (Blake and Manzie) and 2015 (Winston/Mariota). It's NOT Darnold or bust. There's Rosen, Allen, Falk, Jackson... lots of fruit there. This year is not good. At all. 

Realistically 50% of those guys will be busts

Darnold is the only sure thing and he's a junior, Lamar Jackson I think is a better thrower than perceived but I don't know if he's worth a tank job

I love all of the self-employed Football scouts talking about Watson being a "winner" and Trubiskys "consistency".

I don't watch "tape" or break down highlights, I just watch the games. And watching the games showed me that Watson has a below average arm with poor velocity. The ball doesn't come out of his hand like an NFL Quarterback. It just doesn't. In the college game, playing a spread Offense, and throwing lollipop toss ups to Williams that works, but not in the NFL 

And Trubisky is boring. A sniozefest. Mitchell played boring, uninspired football against a bunch of crap, came up average in crunching for the most part, and is coming out because next year he's a fourth rounder. He's the bastard love child of Andy Dalton and Mark Sanchez... Inexperienced guy who can be average and dependable coming out a year earlier than he should, because next years talent is so superior to him he will be an afterthought.

Yeah, let's get us some of that.... Lol

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Mac "knows"?

LOL @ your complete speculation stated as a fact on this issue.    How do YOU know this?  Do you have inside info?  In fact, it looks to be just the opposite.  With all the tear-down/rebuild actions, the stronger inference would be that Mac has been given more, not less time, and will get a pass on 2017 in order to do the ugly necessities that a rebuild requires.  Your logic is faulty to the nth degree on this one.  The truth is no one on this board knows whether he is on the hot seat for 2017 or has been given the rebuild blessing to come back in 2018.

If we go 4-12 next season Mac is unemployed on black monday 

Book it

1 minute ago, thadude said:

Book it

ok... so you admit that you do not actually "know" this.  It's just your unsupported speculation even though his actions point more to the exact opposite inference.  Got it.  Thanks. 

10 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

You are full of it and as wrong as Cimini and JoEWilly12 trying to recite the alphabet by memory. Declaring your pessimistic opinion as fact doesn't make it so. 

I'm not a pessimist I'm being 100% realistic

I can put the lipstick on the pig if it makes you happy

3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I love all of the self-employed Football scouts talking about Watson being a "winner" and Trubiskys "consistency".

I don't watch "tape" or break down highlights, I just watch the games. And watching the games showed me that Watson has a below average arm with poor velocity. The ball doesn't come out of his hand like an NFL Quarterback. It just doesn't. In the college game, playing a spread Offense, and throwing lollipop toss ups to Williams that works, but not in the NFL 

And Trubisky is boring. A sniozefest. Mitchell played boring, uninspired football against a bunch of crap, came up average in crunching for the most part, and is coming out because next year he's a fourth rounder. He's the bastard love child of Andy Dalton and Mark Sanchez... Inexperienced guy who can be average and dependable coming out a year earlier than he should, because next years talent is so superior to him he will be an afterthought.

Just out of curiosity, what did "did watching the games" tell you about Hackenberg?

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Watson is a winner but so were Tebow, VY and Manziel

He reads only half the field in his college offense, arm strength is average, he locks onto receivers and has average accuracy.  His best attributes are his speed and leadership ability but that only goes so far in the NFL 

Trubisky is raw as hell and never played under center. I would use a second rd pick on him but not a first let alone a top 6 pick

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Just out of curiosity, what did "did watching the games" tell you about Hackenberg?

That he's inaccurate and inconsistent and while he's a high character guy with the physical tools, he was vastly overdrafted. 

5 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I didn't get enough of this so I reposted.

3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Boring gives you a good family and makes for a good to great wife . Sexy gives you excitement and headaches because she knows it and never lets you forget it . You keep sexy, ill take boring .

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

Boring gives you a good family and makes for a good to great wife . Sexy gives you excitement and headaches because she knows it and never lets you forget it . You keep sexy, ill take boring .

Yeah, but we want to get a shot at winning a Superbowl, not enjoy having grandchildren with the ******* guy. LOL.

15 minutes ago, thadude said:

I'm not a pessimist I'm being 100% realistic

I can put the lipstick on the pig if it makes you happy

resorting to cliches doesn't make a difference nor more true.

AS @Dcat stated, You have NO BASIS for your CONJECTURE that Mac is gone if there is no QB "found in the 2017 draft." That's SUCH BULL$hit and stop spreading FAKE NEWS (your opinion) as Fact. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Sorry for butting in fish, but I need to do this . Hackenberg proved what everything Jet fans use as a crutch for Mark Sanchez is garbage . That kid found a way to keep alive a program that should have been grave yard dead with NCAA sanctions and a system not suited to his skill set .

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

7 minutes ago, thadude said:

That Hack fell apart after he lost Allen Robinson in college 

7 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

That he's inaccurate and inconsistent and while he's a high character guy with the physical tools, he was vastly overdrafted. 

Now imagine that same GM drafting a QB at #6 and having the audacity to put him as the #3 QB behind the worst starting vet this generation and our current starter who's everything thedude and Jet_engine1 just stated. 

I can just see Macc's future, like that kid in that movie that can see dead people. 

057fe1_96de4b2793de419db199190ab02a11fb.

10 minutes ago, thadude said:

Book it

"4-12 Mac gets fired" . . . . How does that correlate to "If Mac doesn't Find a QB in the 2017 draft?" 

Troy Aikman's rookie year was 1-15. Cowboys found a QB that year yet only won a game. 

SO pick which opinion of yours "Gets Mac Fired:" 4-12 season or Not finding a QB in 2017?

SMH.

16 minutes ago, thadude said:

Realistically 50% of those guys will be busts

Darnold is the only sure thing and he's a junior, Lamar Jackson I think is a better thrower than perceived but I don't know if he's worth a tank job

You're way over projecting with Darnold. He's looked promising. Very promising, but ease off the Andrew Luck treatment. Draft pundits are having a hard time making a case for any of this year's guys being legit rnd 1 franchise QBs... next year has better prospects. That's just the way it is. 

Archived