Benjamin Allbright claims word is Jets likely to draft a first round QB

Jetsbb

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. They can cut Petty with minimal blowback.

2. Drafting QB at six is good news for fans. Either the pick works out and you have a QB, or the pick busts and it leaves Woody/Corky no choice but to cut bait with the coach and GM.

At this point, i am one of those fans. I guess it just didn't realize that people believe we have seen enough of Petty. I had high hopes for that kid... I am of the mindstate that most QBs wont turn out to be franchise QBs, unless they were regarded as cant miss prospects, consensus top 5 picks... so i am fine with shooting for a new QB in the first every year until we find one.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, MARTIN said:

At this point, i am one of those fans. I guess it just didn't realize that people believe we have seen enough of Petty. I had high hopes for that kid... I am of the mindstate that most QBs wont turn out to be franchise QBs, unless they were regarded as cant miss prospects, consensus top 5 picks... so i am fine with shooting for a new QB in the first every year until we find one.

I think the more appropriate conclusion is that the Jets franchise is a sinkhole incapable of developing a quarterback, and Petty is just another link in that chain. 

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the more appropriate conclusion is that the Jets franchise is a sinkhole incapable of developing a quarterback, and Petty is just another link in that chain. 

Couldn't agree more. I wouldn't know the first thing about how to successfully develop a new QB... Maybe i can work for the NYJ, i fit the bill perfectly.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No it was Hackenberg. They set up their own private workout with him towards the end of March, and then they went out with him to a PSU college bar or something like that. That's on top of his pro day. It was no secret Maccagnan had serious interest. 

Yes no doubt spurred on by Bill O'Brien when Macc was in Houston.

Drafting him wasn't the problem. WHere he was drafted was the problem. Way too high

18 hours ago, nicg4360 said:

Yea they may feel if the nab a qb this year it does not matter how bad things go as long as he shows promise and helps keep their jobs....Then when 2018 rolls around he is a the starter with some game experience instead of struggling through 2018 again with a rookie qb. That would likely get them fired for sure.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

And when we get a top 5 pick next yr in that has a MUCH better top qb prospects, we will have to pass on a real star qb and be satisfied with average franchise qb. Yep sounds like the jets lol

5 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

I'm not talking about Glennon as a hit below the belt, in fact if you go back to some of the threads you started on him you will find I agreed with you about him. I'm just trying to figure out why you are getting so salty about my response when you are clearly arguing semantics.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

There you go again talking about Glennon and past threads with the excuse of my alleged saltiness. Look, I'm talking about guys who aren't starting. Let's get past what you keep trying to pull me back to.

Darron Lee didn't end the season a starter. Can we stay on topic please? 

8 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

There you go again talking about Glennon and past threads with the excuse of my alleged saltiness. Look, I'm talking about guys who aren't starting. Let's get past what you keep trying to pull me back to.

Darron Lee didn't end the season a starter. Can we stay on topic please? 

Okay so just to be clear, Darron Lee isn't considered a starter because he didn't end the season as a starter but Anderson, Shell, and Burris are NOT considered starters even though they ended the season as starters........hmmm. That's some interesting mental gymnastics on that one. 

Also, I'll refrain from saying anything about The Quarterback Who Shall Not Be Named because even in posts where I am saying I agree with you on the topic, you seem to go into some sort of 1,000 yard stare and are incapable of reading. Just a piece of friendly advice, you might want to remove the pic of The Quarterback Who Shall Not Be Named as your avatar if you're going to get so sensitive about people bringing it up. 

1 hour ago, JetFreak89 said:

Okay so just to be clear, Darron Lee isn't considered a starter because he didn't end the season as a starter but Anderson, Shell, and Burris are NOT considered starters even though they ended the season as starters........hmmm. That's some interesting mental gymnastics on that one. 

Let me be crystal clear. 

Darron Lee isnt considered a starter because he was yanked from the position. 

Shell got the start because Ryan Clady got hurt and Ijalana swung over to the left and Shell played RT taking over Ijalana's original starting spot. The Jets resigned Ijalana...a guy who won the RT job back when Todd Bowles had a competition at the position. Ijalana and Brent Qvale battled for that RT position given that Brent Giacomini was on limited IR. If I remember this correctly, when Breno got healthy he remained on the sideline given that Ijalana took the starting role. When Ryan Clady was sent to IR in November, Ijalana took over the LT spot and then came in Breno to fill in the RT role. Breno in december was put on IR and Brandon Shell took over. During the offseason Breno was cut and the guy who took over the RT spot and didnt relinquish it when Breno got healthy was resigned this offseason on a 2 year/11 million dollar deal. As for your LT spot, Kelvin Beechum was given a deal as well. 

Juston Burris and Robby Anderston both started 1 game in 2016, which was in week 15 against Miami. Weeks 16 and 17 both were back to being  back ups. They didnt end the season as starters. 

Why my must I go through this?

The only mental gymnastics is watching people try over and over again to shred a supporting statement which was a fact while at the same time ignoring the context by which it was presented and ultimately changing this conversation into some sort of weird mental gymnastic game. 

ipWgVDY.gif

Also, I'll refrain from saying anything about The Quarterback Who Shall Not Be Named because even in posts where I am saying I agree with you on the topic, you seem to go into some sort of 1,000 yard stare and are incapable of reading. Just a piece of friendly advice, you might want to remove the pic of The Quarterback Who Shall Not Be Named as your avatar if you're going to get so sensitive about people bringing it up. 

It doesnt matter what you said you agreed with. Im pissed at this slapdick GM we have...given his decision making and I've been pretty vocal on why I've been pissed. Instead guys like yourself have to take Glennon's signing to the bears as "me having my panties in a bunch" when I've said before the signing that anything over 12 million would be too much. The guy signed for 14.5 million. I will enjoy watching him play with the Bears. However, im talking about the jets right now and outside of you taking my point out of context and then talking about mental gymnastics when what you presented is wrong, now I have to watch you go through "the QB who will remain nameless" statements and commenting about an avatar that a fellow Jetnation member made me. 

This should be out of the way now. Lets stick to the topic. Im pissed because our GM continues to prove himself to be a poor general manager and the guys that I didnt mention in that supporting statement are guys who arent starters at this point in time...which is why they werent mentioned. 

Can we just deal with the facts? 

13 hours ago, MARTIN said:

Totally agree there, (except for the taking a 1st rd QB every year). Cutting a QB just because he didn't set the world on fire in his first 6 games is moronic. Now I'm not a Petty fan, was against the pick and I don't think he has what it takes in terms of heart/grit to succeed in the NFL.  But I'm also not so naive and arrogant to think I KNOW with any certainty that is the case. You drafted him. He costs nothing. He is developing, See what happens.

NFL QBs rarely explode onto the scene.  Look at the scumbag Giants and Eli.  That little brat took 4 years to develop.  In that year they won a SB, but halfway through the season fans were LIVID about him still being on the team because he was so erratic and was playing like hot garbage. The radio call in shows were hilarious. I remember one fan called him the Frank Stallone of the NFL. Then his team got hot, he had a few nice games in a row, including 2 very good performances in Dallas and GB and then he's considered a HOF by the NY Media and dipsh*t giants fans everywhere.

It takes time.  Fans that want to see an instant success in a rookie year are the same type of people that expect to win the lotto when buying a ticket. Some call them hopeless romantics, another word is idiot. Sure it has happened before, Marino to Dak.  I get it. It's just not the normal progression, many times it is a team hiding their QBs flaws (Sanchez), or a league not used to defending them (RG3) or a a combo of a terrific athlete in a perfect position with a coach that can adjust an offense to perfectly fit his skills (Cam). But most guys, at least the cerebral, kill you from the pocket, beat your defense pre-snap type franchise QB types that we all want to see here for a decade or more have a learning curve to them.  Every draft pick needs 3 years to be judged, that was true years ago and true today.  For QBs I'd say it's even longer. 5 years is the mark imo. If you are not prepared to dvelop players over that time span, you will probably never have a FQB on your team.  I'm not saying blind faith either, they have to keep progressing obviously...but fans expect that they are just going to come in and be a star. Nope.

the problem with not believing this rumor is who else could the Jets realistically be targeting? A free safety like Hooker? A running back like Fournette? A TE like Howard? 

Trubisky (Or even Watson) are far from perfect QB prospects. But Perfect QB prospects don't go 6 overall. Either would create more energy and excitement than any of those other picks 

Look at it from Mac's perspective, how many wins does he need to preserve his job? If you think Mac and Bowles can win 0 games this year and still keep their job, I have a bridge to sell you 

14 hours ago, MARTIN said:

First post - hope everyone is well tonight.

My question is simple. If the NYJ draft a QB they will:

1.) Cut a QB (name which one)

2.) Carry 4 QBs

I can't see them cutting any of the 3 guys they have. And carrying 4 Qbs (from what i have heard) handicaps pretty much everyone on the depth chart aside from the #1 in terms of practice reps. Drafting another QB is also, to some degree, giving up on Hack which wouldn't bode well for Mr.Macag...

Thoughts?

they can easily cut Petty or even Hack if they need to. Neither is reason enough to pass on a first round QB. 

Remember when Idzik passed on Garrapolo so they could draft a TE (Amaro) for Geno? 

They need to keep drafting QBs, let them compete. What's the worst that could happen they all stink and draft another next year. Or they are all awesome and there's trade bait. 

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

they can easily cut Petty or even Hack if they need to. Neither is reason enough to pass on a first round QB. 

Remember when Idzik passed on Garrapolo so they could draft a TE (Amaro) for Geno? 

They need to keep drafting QBs, let them compete. What's the worst that could happen they all stink and draft another next year. Or they are all awesome and there's trade bait. 

What looks worst, swinging and missing on a QB/ ER  or swinging and missing on Calvin Pryor  

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the problem with not believing this rumor is who else could the Jets realistically be targeting? A free safety like Hooker? A running back like Fournette? A TE like Howard? 

Trubisky (Or even Watson) are far from perfect QB prospects. But Perfect QB prospects don't go 6 overall. Either would create more energy and excitement than any of those other picks 

Look at it from Mac's perspective, how many wins does he need to preserve his job? If you think Mac and Bowles can win 0 games this year and still keep their job, I have a bridge to sell you 

Yes they could easily be targeting a Howard or a pass rusher or a WR or a RB...it's the 6th pick. They have to get a long term starter. There is no room for error there.

Tru or Watson may create energy or excitement, but who the hell cares....so we have to f**k up the foundation of a rebuild just because our idiot fanbase has ADD?

And yes, Mac has a free pass this year. In case you haven't noticed this is a total tear down. Years of idiotic moves in the efforts of getting players to get fans excited has created a cesspool of a program and it this flush is definitely needed. So yes, Mac can go winless and keep his job.  The real test for him will be how the team is progressing in 2018.  Do they have young emerging talent from this draft and last draft taking over? Do we have a solid foundation to build on?, how is the locker room dynamic?, do we have a football team or a bunch of selfish assholes looking for their payday and enjoying the visibility while they wait for their next contract? Thats the sort of thing you can judge a GM on.  Bowles imo should have been released last season based on his regression and loss of total control of his players and their quitting on the team. But I also get that nobody would want the job, so maybe getting a high pick can entice a real coach to come forward and Macc can select his own HC and run this organization professionally with the little coward prince in the UK playing politics. We have a small window while that loser is going to be away from the controls.

7 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

Yes they could easily be targeting a Howard or a pass rusher or a WR or a RB...it's the 6th pick. They have to get a long term starter. There is no room for error there.

Tru or Watson may create energy or excitement, but who the hell cares....so we have to f**k up the foundation of a rebuild just because our idiot fanbase has ADD?

And yes, Mac has a free pass this year. In case you haven't noticed this is a total tear down. Years of idiotic moves in the efforts of getting players to get fans excited has created a cesspool of a program and it this flush is definitely needed. So yes, Mac can go winless and keep his job.  The real test for him will be how the team is progressing in 2018.  Do they have young emerging talent from this draft and last draft taking over? Do we have a solid foundation to build on?, how is the locker room dynamic?, do we have a football team or a bunch of selfish assholes looking for their payday and enjoying the visibility while they wait for their next contract? Thats the sort of thing you can judge a GM on.  Bowles imo should have been released last season based on his regression and loss of total control of his players and their quitting on the team. But I also get that nobody would want the job, so maybe getting a high pick can entice a real coach to come forward and Macc can select his own HC and run this organization professionally with the little coward prince in the UK playing politics. We have a small window while that loser is going to be away from the controls.

Ok so lets imagine they draft a TE at 6 but they don't have a QB to feed this player, why exactly would OJ howard stay in NY after his rookie contract is up? Because he likes the color green? Hackenberg isn't going to become amazing cause OJ Howard shows up. In fact Hackenberg is probably closer to being cut than he is to starting for this football team. 

These guys aren't Jets fans they do what is right for his career. OJ Howard could waste his career in NY without a QB.  

And NO Mac cannot go winless and keep his job and the reason I know that is because Woody hasn't extended either the GM or the HC. If you don't extend these guys before a tank they will be fired as a course of the tank. 

by the way nothing Bowles has done as coach has been as incompetent as Mac's second round pick of Hackernberg.  It's easy to draft Leonard Williams at 6. If Mac doesn't find a QB, and soon, he's done. 

17 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

What looks worst, swinging and missing on a QB/ ER  or swinging and missing on Calvin Pryor  

Calvin Pryor will be fine as long as they don't ask him to play FS. He's not a FS and never was. 

As for the exact question, it looks worse to draft ILBs and Safeties when fans are wearing bags on their head because of no QB.

put it another way it's like if you were building a chess team and all you drafted was pawns. Every team needs a QB and being too scared to draft one isn't an excuse.  

I need to understand better how John Morton takes Deshaun Watson into an offense he can run in the Meadowlands with his intangibles and 49 mph arm often inaccurate arm and how he makes him successful QB.

That is really what this comes down to.

I can see Trubisky, who has a stronger arm, is more accurate in the short and medium range, and who can move around, and who appears smart, mature and coachable, be successful in a WCO-based system the Jets appear to want to run.  From a football perspective Watson reminds me a bit of Kaepernick, but Kaepernick could really throw.   SF was able to run a power run offense with the fear that Kaep could throw deep or run it himself.  He was also drafted in the second round.  Watson is alot more likeable, but I am not feeling him at 6.

Adams, Howard, Garrett and Hooker, and likely Fournette, will be impact players in the NFL.  The Jets don't seem ready for Fournette yet. 

To pass on Adams, Howard or  Hooker for Watson does not seem right.  My guess is that if Trubisky goes 1-5, one of those three are available.  Don't know whether it is worth passing on them in favor of Watson.

Howard will make any QB you have better.

But I still believe that the Trubisky/Cleveland connection is getting too little airtime.  The Browns must want him.  What should the Jaguars do?

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

This should be out of the way now. Lets stick to the topic. Im pissed because our GM continues to prove himself to be a poor general manager and the guys that I didnt mention in that supporting statement are guys who arent starters at this point in time...which is why they werent mentioned. 

Can we just deal with the facts? 

I think this boils down to what your definition of starter is but honestly at this point is it even worth the argument? At the end of the day you feel like Macc is doing poorly while I give him an average grade, fair enough? All in all I think this season will be very interesting (despite the lack of winning) to see how all the young guys develop and what roles they will take on. I think Macc's future will depend on how many of the youngsters will end up as bona fide starters by the end of the year (including this upcoming draft class). 

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Calvin Pryor will be fine as long as they don't ask him to play FS. He's not a FS and never was. 

As for the exact question, it looks worse to draft ILBs and Safeties when fans are wearing bags on their head because of no QB.

put it another way it's like if you were building a chess team and all you drafted was pawns. Every team needs a QB and being too scared to draft one isn't an excuse.  

The question then becomes the point on inflection-you need to reach for a QB, but how far do you reach.

Trubisky, Watson, Kizer, Mahomes-I don't think the reach is unlimited.  All of  these players are likely to be picked before 39.  There are other players who are very likely Future Stars in the NFL.  These QBs are all ?s    Who can you justifiably pick at 6 and pass up a Future Star as opposed to a potential QB?

Macc is in a tough spot.  

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

I need to understand better how John Morton takes Deshaun Watson into an offense he can run in the Meadowlands with his intangibles and 49 mph arm often inaccurate arm and how he makes him successful QB.

That is really what this comes down to.

I can see Trubisky, who has a stronger arm, is more accurate in the short and medium range, and who can move around, and who appears smart, mature and coachable, be successful in a WCO-based system the Jets appear to want to run.  From a football perspective Watson reminds me a bit of Kaepernick, but Kaepernick could really throw.   SF was able to run a power run offense with the fear that Kaep could throw deep or run it himself.  He was also drafted in the second round.  Watson is alot more likeable, but I am not feeling him at 6.

Adams, Howard, Garrett and Hooker, and likely Fournette, will be impact players in the NFL.  The Jets don't seem ready for Fournette yet. 

To pass on Adams, Howard or  Hooker for Watson does not seem right.  My guess is that if Trubisky goes 1-5, one of those three are available.  Don't know whether it is worth passing on them in favor of Watson.

Howard will make any QB you have better.

But I still believe that the Trubisky/Cleveland connection is getting too little airtime.  The Browns must want him.  What should the Jaguars do?

Agree 100%

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Not really, since they're werent starters. 

As of your defined time frame of Week 17 only, no thought given to possibilities for the upcoming season, which you stated after your original post that I replied to? Sure, you are right. Feel better now? 

5 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

As of your defined time frame of Week 17 only, no thought given to possibilities for the upcoming season, which you stated after your original post that I replied to? Sure, you are right. Feel better now? 

Not worth arguing over. those guys werent the starters. 

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Ok so lets imagine they draft a TE at 6 but they don't have a QB to feed this player, why exactly would OJ howard stay in NY after his rookie contract is up? Because he likes the color green? Hackenberg isn't going to become amazing cause OJ Howard shows up. In fact Hackenberg is probably closer to being cut than he is to starting for this football team. 

These guys aren't Jets fans they do what is right for his career. OJ Howard could waste his career in NY without a QB.  

And NO Mac cannot go winless and keep his job and the reason I know that is because Woody hasn't extended either the GM or the HC. If you don't extend these guys before a tank they will be fired as a course of the tank. 

by the way nothing Bowles has done as coach has been as incompetent as Mac's second round pick of Hackernberg.  It's easy to draft Leonard Williams at 6. If Mac doesn't find a QB, and soon, he's done. 

That's broken logic. So you can't draft an offensive player until you have a QB, because...why? Wouldn't it be more intelligent to draft offensive talent and then put a QB in place when he has weapons and an OLine?  And who the hell cares what OJ Howard wants or what color he likes? That's why there is a draft, franchise tags, guaranteed dollars and other CONTROLS to restrict player movement. I don't care a bit about what they want. They signed up to play in the NFL, this is what they signed up for.

As to Hack being cut vs starting? Huh? Considering he's a 2nd year player coming off a red shirt season that we all knew he was taking, that seems a bit strange to even say. He's cheap, young and has upside. We will see how he looks this year at some point. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Woody told us he doesn't expect us to be good right now and that Macc and Bowles will be judged on things beyond the teams record. And blasting a GM for taking a shot on a high ceiling player in the 2nd round is what? A fireable offense? LOL. No it's not. Macc hasn't done a bad job.  And are you not giving him credit for taking Leonard Williams?  Seriously? Do you know how much balls it took to draft OVER the most talented unit of the team and eschew other positons in the 1st round? People wanted him to take Flowers or Peat or Bud Dupree or Kevin White. But no. It's easy to look at a depleted roster and say...eff it....we don't need help at those critical positions more than we need another DE in a 3-4.  Also didn't we get confirmation that Hack was going to be taken in the 3rd round? But Jets are wrong for reaching for a QB in the 2nd that wouldn't make it back to them? And then you say if Macc does NOT find a QB soon...he's done?  No he hasn't hit on every pick. But no GM does. What he has done is point us in the right direction for once.  Now the question is can he stick to his plan and actually shape the course of the franchise through the draft.  Considering he's found us starters in Williams, Mauldin, Lee, Jenkins, and what looks like Burris and Shell...and has some interesting talent percolating like Robbie Anderson....WHILE getting 2 developmental QBs for us to develop....that's not incompetence.  It's pretty much average.  Now if he can't find a good coach to actually develop the talent...that's a problem.  But oh wait...he doesn't control the coaching side of the equation because we are the NEW YORK F**KING JETS and we are a trainwreck run by an imbecile.

Finally....what HAS Bowles done as a coach?  Besides somehow finding a way to regress.....which is mindblowing btw.

31 minutes ago, bitonti said:

How is it being scared if you don't like the QBs? Are you advocating drafting one just to draft one because....Quarterback?

53 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

Finally....what HAS Bowles done as a coach?  Besides somehow finding a way to regress.....which is mindblowing btw.

getting 5 wins out of a no talent no QB roster is a better job than people realize

lets not pretend like the Jets roster is so talented that all it takes is another Bill Parcells to get their full potential

the roster is barren, and if they fired Bowles no one good would want this job (just like how no one wanted the OC job)  

1 hour ago, Lil Woody said:

Macc doesn't choose or hire the HC. 

I agree Woody should've terminated Bowles by telling him, "It's not the effort, it's the concern."

52 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

How is it being scared if you don't like the QBs? Are you advocating drafting one just to draft one because....Quarterback?

first off we might not like the QBs but clearly there's some smoke coming out of Florham that they like the QBs. The same sources who said Mac liked Trubisky also said Mac liked Hackenberg. 

The draft isn't about what you or I want to happen. It's about predicting what the teams will do. 

secondly, if Trubisky or Watson were perfect prospects they don't stay on the board for 6. they go 1 and 2 like every other year. clearly these are not perfect prospects. but waiting for the perfect prospect we will  all grow old and die waiting for that player, cause there is no perfect prospect. 

as for QB, the way things are now with the new CBA, these guys are cheap. It's not like Sanchez pick where the franchise invests 50 million dollars into that player and has to give him the job. 

Draft a QB, and if he doesn't work out draft another one. Or if Hack suddenly becomes amazing they have trade bait.  I refuse to believe that the Jets need to "protect" Hack's development by passing on another QB. In other words giving this player the job like they gave it to Sanchez and Geno.

Let them compete! Why is that so crazy? 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Who can you justifiably pick at 6 and pass up a Future Star as opposed to a potential QB?

who exactly would be a future star that they would be passing up on?

Fournette is the only one I will grant is a sure fire star but by the time the Jets develop a QB, his best years will be behind him. 

Archived