Kiper Mock 3.0

prime21

19 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

I would take Howard over any safety or rb at the board at 6. The only offensive playmakers I would consider taking over him is Williams or Davis but since we have zero talent at the TE position and we have some promising prospects at wr it makes the most sense to get the best TE in the draft. Kid can catch, run routes and block. He is probably the safest pick at 6 and should produce immediately on the team.

if mccags is serious about building an offense he needs to invest premium picks on offensive skill players, whether it's howard or someone else.  i'd still prefer to trade back and get more picks but that's obviously not solely up to the jets.  if they really intend to build around hackenberg, give him a real TE, give him another rb who can catch, don't make it so he's got to hit young wrs downfield the whole game.  

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would prefer to see either of these 2 options ;

1 - QB / ER

2 -  ER / S  after a small trade down, adding a 4th and 5th this year and a 2nd next year .

3a -  CB

3b -  RB

4 - CB / ER

5a - OL / TE

5b -  S

6 - NT/ WR

7 -  QB / ER / CB /

6 minutes ago, slats said:

It's a little distressing that we're looking at S, RB, or TE -all generally considered non-premium positions- at the #6 pick in the draft. 

They might not be "premium" positions but they'll be difference makers. And that's what this teams needs, all across the board.

1 minute ago, slats said:

It's a little distressing that we're looking at S, RB, or TE -all generally considered non-premium positions- at the #6 pick in the draft. 

Distressing is harsh if you consider that the TE and RB have all world talent and could be future pro bowlers. It is annoying that we have a top 6 pick in a year without an elite QB/LT/Edge Rusher in the draft (outside of Garrett who will be gone at 1, if not 2).  

Personally, I would go Howard in the first and either Kamara/Mixon in the 2nd. Or I would flip it and take Fournette in the first and Engram/Everett/Njoku at TE in the 2nd (I've also fallen in love with Zay Jones at WR. I could see him being the best all around WR in this draft). 

We've tried the "Defense First" approach in the draft for a decade and it's gotten us to mediocrity and no franchise QB. I think we need elite offensive talent in here before we draft our franchise QB next year (unless a miracle happens and Hack turns into that guy). 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Ive never been a fan of taking a TE with a top 10 pick. But this kid can catch, run, and equally block. He's gonna be a beast.

Its between him and Hooker to me, and if we take OJ, I hope we take Butt or Everett in the 3rd and set or two TE formations.

I would normally bristle at the thought of a TE this early.  Especially for the Jets with their poor choices of TEs throughout their history... and especially the Kyle Brady/Johnny Mitchell type early picks.  But this one feels different and the game itself has changed so much through the years that today, a talented pass catching TE is more of a necessity than a luxury. TE pass catching is a far more integral part of most offenses than ever before.  I'll take Howard over Hooker every day and Sunday.  Now the real question is should we take Howard over Williams? (Of course all this assumes we are not taking a QB at 6.  That would change everything.)  As you can see... I am firmly in the "pick offense" side of the debate.

On 3/23/2017 at 11:21 AM, slats said:

it's a matter of who is there at the top 6 of the draft this year. Look at how all the mocks (not just here) are falling out.  It's unusual to have safeties rated this high over edge rushers and QBs.  Freaky draft it seems.  All I know is that I want a player who can be an important cog in the rebuild and also be a difference maker on the field.  It just may be that Howard is that pick in 2017, if not a QB.

Archived