That Hackenberg TD drive against Giants

Dcronin

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I have a feeling we are going to have this exact same thread two or three years from now.  'Remember that one time when Hackenburg had a td drive in that ex game vs the Giants?  Ah the good old days.'

just like browning nagle's game vs. atlanta....

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

My cousin is a Giants fan and he kept telling me "i like that kid"  "He's shown some real potential."  Of course, he also thought Sanchez had "it" Whatever "it" is. 

Unfortunately, in the world of the Jets, "it" is a disease.:D

36 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I have a feeling we are going to have this exact same thread two or three years from now.  'Remember that one time when Hackenburg had a td drive in that ex game vs the Giants?  Ah the good old days.'

Oh, like this one - 

If you watched Hack play much at Penn State, that Giant game kind of summed up his college career.  He makes just enough great throws to make you think he can hack it at the next level.  But then he also has enough of those head scratchers where he shows no pocket presence, or misses wide open receivers that leave you thinking he can't cut it.  

That game was vintage Hack.  4 for 6, 79 yards and a TD to open it up.  Something like 2 for 10 for about 25 yards the rest of the way.

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

If you watched Hack play much at Penn State, that Giant game kind of summed up his college career.  He makes just enough great throws to make you think he can hack it at the next level.  But then he also has enough of those head scratchers where he shows no pocket presence, or misses wide open receivers that leave you thinking he can't cut it.  

That game was vintage Hack.  4 for 6, 79 yards and a TD to open it up.  Something like 2 for 10 for about 25 yards the rest of the way.

And then he followed that game with the eagles stinker and the dye was cast . What I like about Hack, is he beats the teams he's supposed too that are about as talented as his own team and gives you a chance against teams that are far better .  If protected properly, he can beat some of those far batter teams also but it will never look pretty ..

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

So if I'm Mac I'm trading down to get OJ Howard and then a solid running back in round 2-3(depending on what our pick is from the 1st round trade) then also going corner and safety early so then you wind up with your playmaker/security blanket and a running back who won't have to produce AS much being that Forte will play his last year here and Powell will probably feature him heavily. 

If we trade down, OJ howard will be gone. There is a chance he will be gone by the team we draft at 6. 

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

So if I'm Mac I'm trading down to get OJ Howard and then a solid running back in round 2-3(depending on what our pick is from the 1st round trade) then also going corner and safety early so then you wind up with your playmaker/security blanket and a running back who won't have to produce AS much being that Forte will play his last year here and Powell will probably feature him heavily. 

A trade down from 6, walk away with TE OJ Howard, OT Garrett Bolles, RB Joe Mixon, OT Julian Davenport, and C Ethan Pocic with our first 5 picks (assuming we add an extra 2nd rounder, or late 1st rounder with our trade back in the 1st round) would be on paper a HR to start the rebuild on offense, and give any future QB pieces he will need to succeed.

17 hours ago, Pac said:

It's also worth noting we do in fact have a real QB coach this year and not some poser who had never worked with QB's. 

That was one of the more embarrassing aspects to last year.  Gaileys protege was hired despite having zero experience with QB's and his first order of business was to declare they were not going to work on Hacks mechanics for a year.   Then on his way out he takes a parting shot at the kid he either couldn't, or wouldn't help. 

It's no surprise this guy got stuffed in a broom closet for a college team this year.

I'm wondering if the Jets should hire another QB coach. Imagine they have 4 QBs again, it's probably too big of a job for just one guy to develop 3 young dudes.  There's no salary cap on coaching expenses. Why not have more than one QB coach on staff, it couldn't hurt, right? 

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I'm wondering if the Jets should hire another QB coach. Imagine they have 4 QBs again, it's probably too big of a job for just one guy to develop 3 young dudes.  There's no salary cap on coaching expenses. Why not have more than one QB coach on staff, it couldn't hurt, right? 

I personally would be against 4QB's on the team again. One would definitely be the odd man out and go to the practice squad. These guys need reps. 1st team reps. It's hard enough to have 3QB's getting reps. I don't like the McCown pickup. I would have rather they drafted a rookie or have had a young FA. Instead we have a 37 year old less than journeyman QB who Bowles will probably start. May be another long agonizing season. But it is the Jets.

34 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

I don't like the McCown pickup. I would have rather they drafted a rookie or have had a young FA. Instead we have a 37 year old less than journeyman QB who Bowles will probably start. May be another long agonizing season. But it is the Jets.

Agreed. Especially when that 37 year old can't stay healthy.

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If we trade down, OJ howard will be gone. There is a chance he will be gone by the team we draft at 6. 

I am very confident he won't be gone by #6 lol, I could see him gone by #12 though which is why you play it safe and only trade down a few slots even if it means taking less compensation to get your guy.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

For as much as much as Macc has riding on this he should hire a handoff coach, screen pass coach, deep out coach, and hail mary guru. 

He should also hire the best sports shrink in NY and even consider hypnosis.

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Wait, so these are the good old days???     

13 minutes ago, Pac said:

For as much as much as Macc has riding on this he should hire a handoff coach, screen pass coach, deep out coach, and hail mary guru. 

He should also hire the best sports shrink in NY and even consider hypnosis.

We can always bring back good ol' Dick Curl - Jets Time Clock Management Coach:

NYTimes Article in 2004 - Curl, a veteran of 36 years of coaching, was charged this season with cleaning up an area in which Edwards acknowledged his teams have sometimes come up woefully short: clock management. 

Misspent timeouts and poorly orchestrated drives at the end of each half occurred with alarming frequency in recent years. So Edwards turned to Curl, a longtime offensive coordinator and a former head coach for N.F.L. Europe's Frankfurt Galaxy. 

On game days, Curl, a grandfather of 11 whose white hair is unmistakable along the Jets' bench, is assigned to cut through the chaos on the sideline and get situational information to Edwards. How many timeouts are left? How many plays are needed to run out the clock? How many yards are needed to get into field-goal position? 

''I just sort of mosey over to him and say, 'This may be four-down territory,' or, 'If we get a field goal here, we're O.K.,''' Curl, the Jets' former tight ends coach, said. 

Last Monday night, Edwards and his clock guru faced perhaps their toughest test this season. 

Leading Miami by 14-7, the Jets took possession of the ball at their 30, needing about 40 yards in the final 20 seconds before halftime to attempt a field goal. 

It was exactly the kind of situation in which the Jets have often failed.

I'm fine with this overall assessment for Christian Hackenberg for the 2017 season:  Lets Roll the Dice!

Overall 

The tape on Hackenberg is ugly. The physical potential is there but substantial accuracy and mechanical issues are difficult to overcome. If everything goes right with his development, Hackenberg can be a Andy Dalton type quarterback with a Jay Cutler type arm who performs well with a strong supporting cast around him. He will not elevate the play of mediocre talent. If his development does not go right, he is stuck with a weak supporting cast or it just doesn’t click for him at this level, Hackenberg is going to look like a poor man’s Rex Grossman. The Jets are rolling the dice here but when you are in quarterback purgatory, sometimes you need to take a gamble.

Here is the full article:  http://turnonthejets.com/2016/05/new-york-jets-film-room-christian-hackenberg/

15 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I am very confident he won't be gone by #6 lol, I could see him gone by #12 though which is why you play it safe and only trade down a few slots even if it means taking less compensation to get your guy.

I'm happy you're very confident, but most of the mocks coming out have him going to us at 6 or soon after. This isn't 1997 and OJ Howard isn't Kyle Brady. You are applying an old standard (never take a TE in the top 10) to a player that is a freak playing a position that is growing more and more important. 

19 hours ago, bitonti said:

Mike Lombardi's son was hired as Asst QB coach. Vrable was Asst QB coach w/Bills, previous coaching stops, was QB in college

The Jets continued to fill out their offensive staff, announcing the hirings of offensive assistant/assistant quarterbacks coach Mick Lombardi and offensive assistant Jason Vrable. The team also made an addition to their strength staff as Joe Giacobbe will serve as an assistant strength and conditioning coach to Justus Galac.

Lombardi spent the past four seasons on the 49ers staff and was an offensive quality control coach in 2016. He also held the positions of offensive assistant, defensive assistant and assistant to the head coach with San Francisco.

A student assistant coach at Fordham in 2009-10, Lombardi started his NFL career as a scout with the Patriots in 2011.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-9/Jets-Add-Three-Assistant-Coaches/9268b5f6-d92b-422a-a0da-fb6eff698fcc

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches/vrable_jason/abdf066a-b129-4f7f-a798-873850e5443e

17 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Watch out for TN at #5

23 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Mike Lombardi's son was hired as Asst QB coach. Vrable was Asst QB coach w/Bills, previous coaching stops, was QB in college

The Jets continued to fill out their offensive staff, announcing the hirings of offensive assistant/assistant quarterbacks coach Mick Lombardi and offensive assistant Jason Vrable. The team also made an addition to their strength staff as Joe Giacobbe will serve as an assistant strength and conditioning coach to Justus Galac.

Lombardi spent the past four seasons on the 49ers staff and was an offensive quality control coach in 2016. He also held the positions of offensive assistant, defensive assistant and assistant to the head coach with San Francisco.

A student assistant coach at Fordham in 2009-10, Lombardi started his NFL career as a scout with the Patriots in 2011.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-9/Jets-Add-Three-Assistant-Coaches/9268b5f6-d92b-422a-a0da-fb6eff698fcc

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches/vrable_jason/abdf066a-b129-4f7f-a798-873850e5443e

Didn't mean like two assistants junior guys. I mean real QB coaches with real QB experience not only as QB coaches but maybe even as NFL QB's themselves. 

Spend some real money it's not going to hurt the cap

You know what, it would be so awful if 3 of the 53 players on the Jets roster are Hackenberg, Trubisky and Darnold/ Rosen /Allen .  That would be so awful to have 3 QBs with those skill sets all under contract for 3 years .

38 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Didn't mean like two assistants junior guys. I mean real QB coaches with real QB experience not only as QB coaches but maybe even as NFL QB's themselves. 

Spend some real money it's not going to hurt the cap

Right because "real QB coaches" would like to come aboard and be Asst QB coaches...smh

You wanted an additional QB coach,,It's pointed out they've been hired and now that still isn't good enough. .

33 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Right because "real QB coaches" would like to come aboard and be Asst QB coaches...smh

You wanted an additional QB coach,,It's pointed out they've been hired and now that still isn't good enough. .

Did you read Mick Lombardi's resume? He's a kid. There's nothing on that resume that implies he has any idea what to do with QBs. He's one step higher than jock strap laundry guy (which is a job Eric Mangini once had) 

I don't know how the reporting structure goes exactly but what if the Jets had one legit QB coach all he did was work on Hack and another legit QB coach all he did was work on Trubisky lets say. 

my concern is that the Jets had too many young guys to develop last year and it could happen again. Whatever they are doing at Florham park, it isn't working. 

Archived