Jump to content

Any chance the Jets carry 4 QB's again?


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

It's common sense for  anyone who watched any kind of football.     The Qb is the most important position in a Qb driven league.   Ask any GM if they can hit on one pick, it would be Qb position every time. 

That's why until you find your Qb, you keep drafting them high.    People thought the Redskins were dumb for taking K Cousins in the same draft they took Rg111.      Well looks who there Qb now, and who doesn't have a job. 

 

 

I'm not going to take your word for it.  I need proof that finding a franchise QB helps your team.  Otherwise, it's just nonsense.

So link please. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Carrying 4 QB's through training camp is fine, but it would be stupid roster management to do that again for the regular season.  If we draft a QB that's fine, have a battle in camp for the third

anyone who objectively watched Bryce Petty play the position of QB for the Jets would never ask this . This guy is terrible and hoping he gets better is not going to make it so . 

It isnt smart to guarantee such a thing when this regime has a history of doing dumb stuff . 

26 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm not going to take your word for it.  I need proof that finding a franchise QB helps your team.  Otherwise, it's just nonsense.

So link please. 

 

Okay here is your link.  Without words that make my point.   http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/ch_afce.htm

Only Super Bowl the Jets every won,  I believe they had a franchise Qb.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slats said:

If the Jets take a QB in the first two rounds, that would suggest they've got very little faith in Hackenberg. I'd think in that scenario, Petty and Hack would be fighting for a roster spot. If they take a QB later, they'd probably still have some faith in Hack, and Petty and the draft pick would be in a battle for a roster spot. Drafting another QB at all would suggest that they're not completely happy with either Hack or Petty, which is entirely possible, and in that case one of them should be cut. Conversely, not drafting a QB at all would suggest that they're fairly content with the two kids which, you'd hope, would be a good scenario. 

If they're not in love with the guys who might be available at #6 overall, I hope they pass on the position completely. Bring in an UDFA as the fourth camp arm, and if that kid shows anything, stash him on the practice squad. 

I get your logic, but my problem with it is that it is strictly need based.  What about value?  If a guy like Trubisky or Watson is there at 6, they may be value.  Mahomes and some of these other guys could be value in the 2nd or 3rd.  The Eagles have proven that having multiple QBs, even non-franchise QBs, can make sense.  I can't see cutting Petty.  He didn't light the world on fire, but he has an arm and some experience.  He is dirt cheap and I'm sure they could at least get a late conditional.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Why not?  Only 45 dress game days. Who was cut last year to carry 4 QBs that you wished they kept?

This is a good point.  Did the Jets put someone on the PS and lose them because they kept 4 QBs?  I don't think so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jet Blast said:

I wouldn't get to revved up over that. I think it's important to have at least one experienced veteran who can mentor the young QB's. That doesn't mean they won't start one of the young guys. It could even mean that Mac WILL draft a QB. My logic to that is that he didn't acquire a better QB (albeit marginally) than McCown. That doesn't make sense to me. I find it hard to believe they would purposely tank, but it would make some sense if he intended to draft a QB. Then, I think, Petty would be toast.

Im about to make a thread about this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JiF said:

You know teams will be hovering like vultures for the chance to get their hands on Petty or Hack.  Cant let that happen.  

 

Christian Hackenberg was a 7th round pick that was drafted 5 rounds too early. He was so terrible last year he couldn't get reps when everyone got hurt. He was the only 4th QB in the league. He basically stole his game checks last year.

It's fair to say the Christian Hackenberg waiver wire demand is not that high.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Christian Hackenberg was a 7th round pick that was drafted 5 rounds too early. He was so terrible last year he couldn't get reps when everyone got hurt. He was the only 4th QB in the league. He basically stole his game checks last year.

It's fair to say the Christian Hackenberg waiver wire demand is not that high.  

Tell that to Big Mac, ok? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Christian Hackenberg was a 7th round pick that was drafted 5 rounds too early. He was so terrible last year he couldn't get reps when everyone got hurt. He was the only 4th QB in the league. He basically stole his game checks last year.

It's fair to say the Christian Hackenberg waiver wire demand is not that high.  

When you get paid, do you feel like you stole your check  ? Hackenberg got paid for exactly what he was told to do, and the last time I checked, that's called doing your job .  Just maybe if more Jets did their jobs, this team would be better off .

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

When you get paid, do you feel like you stole your check  ? Hackenberg got paid for exactly what he was told to do, and the last time I checked, that's called doing your job .  Just maybe if more Jets did their jobs, this team would be better off .

most teams don't even carry a 3rd QB on the 53 man let alone a 4th QB.

It's a fair statement to say Christian Hackenberg was the worst QB in the entire league last year. You can say he did what he was hired to do I disagree he was hired to play quarterback and help this team. Dak Prescott can win 12 games and Hack can't even get beyond the scout team? Bullcrap. I know he's a rookie but that doesn't excuse being worthless.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AFJF said:

When asked late in the season if carrying 4 QB's was a mistake, Bowles said they should've carried 5.

 

5 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Is this true?

I don't remember this, but would love it if true.

I do remember Bowles saying that there was a plan, earlier in the season, and that "we'd see" the plan eventually. All I saw was a debacle and no semblance of a plan at all. But hey, what do I know... I'm just an ape.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

There's a difference between making an error and doing what Macc's done. Macc drafted a developmental QB last year making him the #3, and Macc still found a way not to move on and resign a bridge QB to starter money and made a developmental QB the #4. Macc turns around and instead of just moving forward with the two QB's he's allegedly put time into the past 3 years total he finds a reason to sign another terrible quarterback and once again takes Hackenberg right out of the opportunity to develop by getting reps. 

 

This isnt a guy who made a mistake, this is a guy who thinks his mistakes are actually the correct thing to do. That's the problem. Making a mistake and correcting it would be like signing Osweiler to a stupid-big contract, realizing that it was a stupid-big mistake and then the very next season finding a way to get him off your team and off your books. 

Macc would be the guy to give Osweiler a raise, or cut him and have all that dead money on the books only to then sign a guy like....well, McCown. lol. 

There are mistakes, then there's Mike Maccagnan. 

Except he made no mistake.  He wanted Hack as a long term developmental QB to go along with Petty as his long term number 2.  Fitz playing well forced his hand into signing him and Geno needed to be retained as a backup in case Fitz went down. 

It was fairly simple and his only crime was taking up a roster spot for a player who wasn't going to see the field in 2016.  

Nothing about any of this proves would be the guy to give Osweiler a raise anymore than he was going to jump in and overpay just as badly for a Glennon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

most teams don't even carry a 3rd QB on the 53 man let alone a 4th QB.

It's a fair statement to say Christian Hackenberg was the worst QB in the entire league last year. You can say he did what he was hired to do I disagree he was hired to play quarterback and help this team. Dak Prescott can win 12 games and Hack can't even get beyond the scout team? Bullcrap. I know he's a rookie but that doesn't excuse being worthless.

Agree on the 1st point . Agree with the 2nd point .Disagree with the 3rd point .Really, those 2 rosters were alike and stayed that way all year . The kid followed the orders he was given and that makes him a good soldier .Maybe you and others can't understand this, but his orders were for the benefit of the team and him . Exactly what good does it do to put a QB who's best attribute is his mental ability on the field when he's a mental wreck ?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The kid followed the orders he was given and that makes him a good soldier .Maybe you and others can't understand this, but his orders were for the benefit of the team and him . Exactly what good does it do to put a QB who's best attribute is his mental ability on the field when he's a mental wreck ?

4

We can agree with all that but none of it makes him valuable as a player or as QB. Why is he such a mental wreck to use your words? Or don't answer that the real question is why is Hack's mental state everyone's problem? 

bottom line I root for this player but he's not a reason to pass on a QB this draft.

They don't need to treat Hackenberg like he's Aaron Rodgers. The jets have this annoying habit of taking 2nd rounders (Geno) and treating them like 1st rounders. There are still some people who think Geno just needs to be developed better. Bullcrap the dude started 30 games. 

At some point Hackenberg needs to prove himself and if he can't beat out Petty, McCown and any Rookie he doesn't deserve a roster spot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, slats said:

If the Jets take a QB in the first two rounds, that would suggest they've got very little faith in Hackenberg. I'd think in that scenario, Petty and Hack would be fighting for a roster spot. If they take a QB later, they'd probably still have some faith in Hack, and Petty and the draft pick would be in a battle for a roster spot. Drafting another QB at all would suggest that they're not completely happy with either Hack or Petty, which is entirely possible, and in that case one of them should be cut. Conversely, not drafting a QB at all would suggest that they're fairly content with the two kids which, you'd hope, would be a good scenario. 

If they're not in love with the guys who might be available at #6 overall, I hope they pass on the position completely. Bring in an UDFA as the fourth camp arm, and if that kid shows anything, stash him on the practice squad. 

Everyone makes this assessment and I keep asking myself why that is . The Jets drafted Hackenberg to develop him. He never saw the field, got very few reps except running scout teams and the problem he had coming out of college was left until this off season . Exactly why should they believe without any doubt that Hackenberg is "The Man" ?

CYA is a popular saying in the corporate world . With the cap cost of draft picks these days, it's worth it to take a shot on the most important position on a football team

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

We can agree with all that but none of it makes him valuable as a player or as QB. Why is he such a mental wreck to use your words? Or don't answer that the real question is why is Hack's mental state everyone's problem? 

bottom line I root for this player but he's not a reason to pass on a QB this draft.

They don't need to treat Hackenberg like he's Aaron Rodgers. The jets have this annoying habit of taking 2nd rounders (Geno) and treating them like 1st rounders. There are still some people who think Geno just needs to be developed better. Bullcrap the dude started 30 games. 

At some point Hackenberg needs to prove himself and if he can't beat out Petty, McCown and any Rookie he doesn't deserve a roster spot. 

Look, I like hack and I wanted him here, but that wouldn't stop me from drafting Trubisky this year and even signing a player like Towles in free agency after the draft . The Jets are going nowhere until they fix this position, and like the saying goes, I'm throwing pins at the board and see what sticks .  This is a completely new scheme the jets are unveiling, so whoever looks the best physically and mentally during the OTAs, gets to start the training camp nod as lead dog .   

As for Geno, the reason why after 30 starts some thing he needed and needs to be develop better is because his 29th start was the best game a Jet QB has had in forever .

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

 

I don't remember this, but would love it if true.

I do remember Bowles saying that there was a plan, earlier in the season, and that "we'd see" the plan eventually. All I saw was a debacle and no semblance of a plan at all. But hey, what do I know... I'm just an ape.

I believe it was Connor Hughes who asked Bowles if he regretted carrying 4 QB's.  At that point, Petty and Geno were out for the season so it was a bit tongue in cheek, but he said something along the lines of "four wasn't enough" or "we should've carried five" with the way things went.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, slats said:

If the Jets take a QB in the first two rounds, that would suggest they've got very little faith in Hackenberg. I'd think in that scenario, Petty and Hack would be fighting for a roster spot. If they take a QB later, they'd probably still have some faith in Hack, and Petty and the draft pick would be in a battle for a roster spot. Drafting another QB at all would suggest that they're not completely happy with either Hack or Petty, which is entirely possible, and in that case one of them should be cut. Conversely, not drafting a QB at all would suggest that they're fairly content with the two kids which, you'd hope, would be a good scenario. 

If they're not in love with the guys who might be available at #6 overall, I hope they pass on the position completely. Bring in an UDFA as the fourth camp arm, and if that kid shows anything, stash him on the practice squad. 

I liked your post, but if they say pick Trubinsky at 6, that says more like he dropped to them and they have to say to themselves they don't have enough faith in Hack to let an opportunity like that pass.  In other words it's not having little faith in the general sense, but one of not having enough to let a chance like that go by.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AFJF said:

Can't help but wonder if they'd do it a second season in a row since they know McCown is only here for one year and would once again have only Petty and Hack unless they draft another QB this season.

My Bear fan friend still insists the Jets will sign Cutler.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, bitonti said:

 

They don't need to treat Hackenberg like he's Aaron Rodgers. The jets have this annoying habit of taking 2nd rounders (Geno) and treating them like 1st rounders. There are still some people who think Geno just needs to be developed better. Bullcrap the dude started 30 games. 

 

Idzik's worst sin imo was going into Smith's second year despite his bad performance and letting Carr go in the draft when he could have picked him.  He was too invested in proving that picking Smith in the second round was a good pick.

The net result is Smith is now off the Jets and Carr is a real rising star in the league.  The Raiders have a franchise Qb and the Jets do not.

Let's hope IF Trubinsky falls to the Jets, Macc does not pull an Idzik.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AFJF said:

Can't help but wonder if they'd do it a second season in a row since they know McCown is only here for one year and would once again have only Petty and Hack unless they draft another QB this season.

If the jets draft a qb.. you could stop wondering and help petty look for a job

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...