Jump to content

It all begins in the 2nd round


Recommended Posts

RB- Fournette, Cook

WR - Williams, Davis

TE -  Howard

CB - Lattimore

S - Hooker, Adams

 

We can argue what is the greater positional need but any of the above players selected would be a good pick for our needy team. The only one I questioned but then reversed my thought process was for Howard. I think about he can block for our young or old QB and then also be a threat in the passing game.  

All these players have the potential to be impact players for many years (you would hope as much for the 6th pick in the draft).

Now if the Jets go out and select a QB then what?  I wouldn't be upset at that either.  Hack will probably be average at best IMO so the continuous search for a franchise QB must go on even if its rolling the dice. 

Our draft will be based on what happens after the 1st round. We really have to hope that the GM and scouting staff get us some players that can play and not try and hit home runs like they tried with HAck.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
You said all that to just say you don't like Hack?     
Yet another who has absolutely no idea if Hack is any good and is making statements about it. 



I said they tried to hit a home run with Hack by picking him the 2nd round. I said he will probably be average at best. This is an opinion and probably a favorable one since most think he is really bad. These forums are for many things including opinions.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, prime21 said:

 

 


I said they tried to hit a home run with Hack by picking him the 2nd round. I said he will probably be average at best. This is an opinion and probably a favorable one since most think he is really bad. These forums are for many things including opinions.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

 

Considering that this team drafted Sanchez and Geno, if Hack is only 'Average," that's a major breakthrough, no?:D

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If we take another defensive player in the top ofnthe draft again I will lose it.  Seriously enough with the cb lattimore talk because we lost revis thats what all these mocks day. Fournette >> Watson>>> Trubisky>>> Howard.

Steal Mixon in the 3rd or 4th round 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Favorite_Toon said:

If we take another defensive player in the top ofnthe draft again I will lose it.  Seriously enough with the cb lattimore talk because we lost revis thats what all these mocks day. Fournette >> Watson>>> Trubisky>>> Howard.

Steal Mixon in the 3rd or 4th round 

Not at all liking the idea of taking a QB that high in this draft with next years crop of QBs. No to Mixon, hopefully he is off the draft board completely. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe Jets fan said:

You said all that to just say you don't like Hack?     

Yet another who has absolutely no idea if Hack is any good and is making statements about it. 

Fun Fact: Hack wasn't good enough to start in (or take a single snap) in a season where we simply didn't show up. So yeah, if it isn't the HC, then its the QB. Or a combination of both!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Favorite_Toon said:

If we take another defensive player in the top ofnthe draft again I will lose it.  Seriously enough with the cb lattimore talk because we lost revis thats what all these mocks day. Fournette >> Watson>>> Trubisky>>> Howard.

Steal Mixon in the 3rd or 4th round 

If we pick Fournette in the first, and Mixon is available in the 4th, would you do it? I would. Let Powell walk next year. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Adams should be off the board by 6

There's a very real chance Lattimore as well could go to Titans 

Howard could also rise past the Jets and go to TEN (who love TE and have an aging Delanie Walker) or Jacksonville (Who actually have a QB)

Cook and both WR are not valued at 6.

Fournette might actually be worth the pick and Hooker also fills a dire need. Of all the names you listed I'd say these two, plus Trubisky are the most likely picks for this team at 6. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

You lost me here.

Yeah it's not a great pick for this team for positional reasons, career length, OL shabbiness etc. just trying to isolate exactly which instant stars the Jets would be passing on at 6. I could see a Fournette as ROY scenario. But other than him and maybe Hooker, it doesn't seem all that star heavy place to pick actually 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Yeah it's not a great pick for this team for positional reasons, career length, OL shabbiness etc. just trying to isolate exactly which instant stars the Jets would be passing on at 6. I could see a Fournette as ROY scenario. But other than him and maybe Hooker, it doesn't seem all that star heavy place to pick actually 

As always, we're not good enough to be good and not bad enough to get better. I get the appeal of Fournette, but I can't see taking a running back--any running back--at 6.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

As always, we're not good enough to be good and not bad enough to get better. I get the appeal of Fournette, but I can't see taking a running back--any running back--at 6.

I agree with that especially because without a QB teams will just stack the box against Fournette. I don't think he will go that highly (top 10) after his vertical leap btw.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I agree with that especially because without a QB teams will just stack the box against Fournette. I don't think he will go that highly (top 10) after his vertical leap btw.  

Would you like to bet he goes 4th to the jags and doesnt make it past us? There pro comparisn for this guy is Bo Jackson. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Favorite_Toon said:

Would you like to bet he goes 4th to the jags and doesnt make it past us? There pro comparisn for this guy is Bo Jackson. 

It's certainly possible. I would take that bet just because it's so hard to predict and the uncertainty would be on my side.  they could take OJ Howard for example. Who could use a TE more the Jags with Bortles or the Jets with no one? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, prime21 said:

 

 


I said they tried to hit a home run with Hack by picking him the 2nd round. I said he will probably be average at best. This is an opinion and probably a favorable one since most think he is really bad. These forums are for many things including opinions.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

 

okay, an average qb is cutler.  i think most jets fans would take that at this point. it's like anything else. you put an average qb with some much better receivers and suddenly he's that much better.  and so on.  and that's why teams keep picking qb's.  there aren't that many 10 year starters in the league, at least with one team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, prime21 said:

RB- Fournette, Cook

WR - Williams, Davis

TE -  Howard

CB - Lattimore

S - Hooker, Adams

 

We can argue what is the greater positional need but any of the above players selected would be a good pick for our needy team. The only one I questioned but then reversed my thought process was for Howard. I think about he can block for our young or old QB and then also be a threat in the passing game.  

All these players have the potential to be impact players for many years (you would hope as much for the 6th pick in the draft).

Now if the Jets go out and select a QB then what?  I wouldn't be upset at that either.  Hack will probably be average at best IMO so the continuous search for a franchise QB must go on even if its rolling the dice. 

Our draft will be based on what happens after the 1st round. We really have to hope that the GM and scouting staff get us some players that can play and not try and hit home runs like they tried with HAck.

 

 

i just can't see taking a te with the 6 pick.  too much value in the pick for the position.  i think the 6 pick has got to be for a scary good player whatever the position.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, prime21 said:

RB- Fournette, Cook

WR - Williams, Davis

TE -  Howard

CB - Lattimore

S - Hooker, Adams

 

We can argue what is the greater positional need but any of the above players selected would be a good pick for our needy team. The only one I questioned but then reversed my thought process was for Howard. I think about he can block for our young or old QB and then also be a threat in the passing game.  

All these players have the potential to be impact players for many years (you would hope as much for the 6th pick in the draft).

Now if the Jets go out and select a QB then what?  I wouldn't be upset at that either.  Hack will probably be average at best IMO so the continuous search for a franchise QB must go on even if its rolling the dice. 

Our draft will be based on what happens after the 1st round. We really have to hope that the GM and scouting staff get us some players that can play and not try and hit home runs like they tried with HAck.

 

 

Though this mock is certainly going in the right direction, we desperately need to draft offensive line. We REALLY need it. 

This offensive line is complete patch work. If Hackenberg or any young qb is going to have any chance, this team needs to address the Oline first and foremost. I wouldn't mind Fournette, but Powell is good for us. 

If the Jets think Fournette is the next future HOF'er then draft him...but we need some Oline action at that 2nd pick, maybe even the 3rd.

It's not a sexy pick, but next off-season we'll see the same issues with that line but will want to then draft a guy like Sam Darnold. It will be a waste if he's literally running for his life, similar to every starter we had last year. 

We need to build from the inside out. The longer we wait the longer it will take to actually develop a quarterback. A solid Oline will bring along a young qb much better than picking up a veteran qb for the purpose of mentoring.

Oline. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i just can't see taking a te with the 6 pick.  too much value in the pick for the position.  i think the 6 pick has got to be for a scary good player whatever the position.

Depends how scary good you think Howard can be. I've seen one analyst compare him to Gronk minus the injuries. 

If you truly believe that is his potential, i think you take him and don't look back. I get that it's silly season right now, where opinions on each player range from bust to instant all-pro; but if the Jets scouting dept. have a very high opinion on the guy, there's no reason not to take him, especially not some unwritten rule about positional value.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bitonti said:

Yeah it's not a great pick for this team for positional reasons, career length, OL shabbiness etc. just trying to isolate exactly which instant stars the Jets would be passing on at 6. I could see a Fournette as ROY scenario. But other than him and maybe Hooker, it doesn't seem all that star heavy place to pick actually 

If the Jets cant find a star with 6th overall pick, we got problems.  To say that one doesnt exist is ridiculous.  The best player on their roster was taken 6th overall because other teams are stupid.  Funny thing is, teams are still stupid. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JiF said:

If the Jets cant find a star with 6th overall pick, we got problems.  To say that one doesnt exist is ridiculous.  The best player on their roster was taken 6th overall because other teams are stupid.  Funny thing is, teams are still stupid. 

And yet you will find Jet fans who swear the Jets should have passed on this guy for another player excelling on another team .  In this draft, there's 1 player who stands head and shoulders above everyone else. After that player is off the board, you would be hard pressed to find 2 amateur or professional analyst  who have the same player going at pick 2.

I say that to say this. In this draft, you try to trade down, but if you can't, you take the best Premium position player at a position of need that has a top 20 grade . You need to decide for yourself what is a premium position .

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 Minutes ago, Tinstar said:

And yet you will find Jet fans who swear the Jets should have passed on this guy for another player excelling on another team .  In this draft, there's 1 player who stands head and shoulders above everyone else. After that player is off the board, you would be hard pressed to find 2 amateur or professional analyst  who have the same player going at pick 2.

I say that to say this. In this draft, you try to trade down, but if you can't, you take the best Premium position player at a position of need that has a top 20 grade . You need to decide for yourself what is a premium position .

Great in theory if it works and you have a willing partner. 

But to think that after Garrett that between - Thomas, Howard, Williams, Fournette, Adams, the QB's, Foster, Cook, Davis, Allen, Hooker,. etc - that there is no star in the group is just ridiculous.  Sure, some of them will never live up to their billing but that's on the Jets to figure out.  There is a star in that group, no doubt about it and picking #6 shouldnt be the reason you dont land one.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2017 at 0:34 PM, JiF said:

If the Jets cant find a star with 6th overall pick, we got problems.  To say that one doesnt exist is ridiculous.  The best player on their roster was taken 6th overall because other teams are stupid.  Funny thing is, teams are still stupid. 

The key is for our team to not be stupid.:-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2017 at 1:44 PM, Joe Jets fan said:

You said all that to just say you don't like Hack?     

Yet another who has absolutely no idea if Hack is any good and is making statements about it. 

Hack sucked at Penn St. he will suck here.  Our FO has no clue

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...