Just Saying Goodbye Properly - Geno Smith Is Worthless

SAR I

Day 5

mith observations: Smith's practice started well. In a cornerback-receiver drill, he perfectly hit Walter Powell in stride for a deep-ball touchdown. Smith nicely put the ball out in front of Powell. But in the first team period, Smith sailed a pass high for Chris Owusu. In Smith's next team period, he was nearly picked off by Antonio Cromartie, on a pass for Brandon Marshall. Two plays later, Eric Decker dropped a short Smith pass. Then Smith sailed a pass long for Shaq Evans, on a comeback route. Cromartie almost intercepted Smith again in a 7-on-7 drill, when Smith threw a sideline pass to Marshall. The pass was too high. Marshall did have a drop on a Smith pass in 7-on-7 action. Chris Ivory hurt Smith's numbers with a drop in a team period. And Smith had to throw a ball away under pressure later. Smith's best throw of the day, in team periods, was a deep sideline pass for Marshall, who got past Cromartie. Smith hit Marshall in stride for a touchdown. But in the team period after that, Darrelle Revis almost intercepted an errant Smith throw for Owusu. Cromartie jumped the next pass, again for Marshall, and broke it up. Smith then threw a couple high sideline passes, for Jeremy Kerley and Decker. Smith immediately followed that with his fumble. Leger Douzable knocked the ball out when Smith was carrying it too loose (and carelessly) while escaping pressure in the backfield. In his final team period, Smith was stung by a Bilal Powell drop, but he also threw a ball way too low for Decker. Rough day. 

Fitzpatrick observations: His numbers weren't terrible, but his performance was not great at all. Fitzpatrick still hasn't thrown an interception in this camp (neither has Smith), but Fitzpatrick has nearly thrown several, just like Smith. The Jets' defenders just can't seem to hold onto them. Otherwise, both quarterbacks would have multiple picks at this point in camp. Fitzpatrick started practice with a beautiful deep sideline ball for Saalim Hakim, who beat Dee Milliner. But then he hung a pass for Walter Powell. Bad throw. Too much time in the air. Three plays later, Fitzpatrick put too little zip on a pass to Evans that Dashaun Phillips broke up. Jaiquawn Jarrett dropped a would-be Fitzpatrick pick in 7-on-7 action. This was a sure-thing interception. Fitzpatrick did have a 5-for-5 segment in a team period, highlighted by a pretty sideline throw to Quincy Enunwa and a quick-release pass to Evans while under pressure. But Fitzpatrick made an errant pass to the sideline in his next team period. Not a pretty day for the veteran. 

Advantage: Still Smith. And this doesn't show any signs of changing any time soon. He hasn't been spectacular, but he's been plenty solid, with the exception of Tuesday. (Again, folks, it's just one day. An unsightly day, to be sure, but just one day.) The Jets don't need Smith to be spectacular. He simply has to limit turnovers, manage the offense, and make a play or three. Fitzpatrick has shown no signs of being able to outpace Smith in camp, even though it's way too early to opine that Smith is going to have a fantastic year -- or anything close to it. But at this point, he still has a comfortable hold on the Week 1 starting job. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 6

Smith observations: Right out of the chute, Smith found Eric Decker for a 27-yard touchdown that caught the defense's attention. On the next play, Smith held his own in the pocket amidst a big rush for the edges and released a pass, only to have it batted down by rookie linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin. In separate red-zone sequences, Smith stuck to the quick stuff, with some success--a pair of hitches to Decker that nibbled up yardage, another to Brandon Marshall that went for a touchdown. If this is a glimpse of the bang-bang, methodical Jets offense to come, it wasn't half bad.

Fitzpatrick observations: Fitzpatrick's second throw in a team period resulted in a right-at-him interception by inside linebacker Jamari Lattimore, and I'm still not sure who was the intended receiver, since the closest one was somewhere near Convent Station. Throughout camp, Fitzpatrick's accuracy and arm strength just haven't been Smith's equal; even a short throw over the middle to Quincy Enunwa came late and required Enunwa to make a fine play on the ball. In goal-line, Fitzpatrick's only throw fell incomplete.

Advantage: Smith. He's doing all the basic things right and not screwing anything up by forcing throws into coverage. It's reason for optimism, albeit the guarded sort: The true measure of where Smith stands in Year 3 won't come until the regular season, and after a few games, at that. But, on Aug. 5, this is all we have to go on, and Smith's more than holding his own. And Thursday's another day.

11 minutes ago, August said:

No it's called double standard

My friend, I have no intention of debating you on something that is clearly a cognitive deficiency on your part.

if it was not clear to you before, let me make it abundantly clear now, and perhaps we may find some form of peace:

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick played very poorly in 2016

2. Ryan Fitzpatrick was a material cause of the teams problems of offense in 2016.

3. Ryan Fitzpatrick was a material cause, but not the only cause, of the teams overall failings in 2016.

4. Ryan Fitzpatrick, as handled by Macc via a very late signing, was a poor decision for 2016.

5. Ryan Fitzpatrick is currently unemployed because he is a mediocre and often disappointing Veteran QB whose last play was rather horrible. 

6. ANY Jets Fan who would want to resign Ryan Fitzpatrick for the Jets in 2017 is in serious need of mental health help.

7. It is very likely Ryan Fitzpatrick has played his last down as an NFL QB.  Rightfully so, at his age and skill level, he is unlikely to provide any team in any circumstance much more than a 25th-30th level of play quality is spot backup/fill in work, performance most teams could easily get from their own developmental backup QB's.

8. There is no pass for Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He was given an opportunity, and he failed.  While other factors most certainly played a part, they are not in any form excuses for his poor play.

I don't think it's possible to be more clear than this.  

By all means, please let me know when some of our resident Geno fans can be this direct and unmerciful about Geno, because while you may not be reading it or understanding it, the vast majority of former Fitz supporters will agree and HAVE BEEN AGREEING with what is written above for quite some time now.  Any ongoing claim to the contrary is literally the definition of a Straw Man argument.

You have a great day August.  

Smith observations: He has rebounded well from his rough Tuesday practice, during which he had his lone turnover of camp so far, a fumble. Smith started Thursday's practice with a couple good passes in a drill that pitted wide receivers against cornerbacks. Smith found Walter Powell and Austin Hill on well-arced passes to the back corner of the end zone. In a team period, Smith hit Brandon Marshall on a midrange lob that got over Antonio Cromartie. Smith later threaded a pass to Chris Owusu, despite tight coverage by Curtis Brown. But in the same team period, Smith faced a couple pressures. Quinton Coples "sacked" him, and Smith also had to throw the ball away another time under pressure. In a red-zone team period, Smith connected with Quincy Enunwa on a 19-yard pass. Good throw by Smith. Better catch by Enunwa, who reached up and hauled it in. Smith was then decisive on a 1-yard quick-release touchdown to Marshall, who ran a slant route to the inside of Darrelle Revis. Smith did make a dangerous throw near the end of practice, over the middle for Owusu. Smith just flung it up, and though it didn't really come close to being picked off, this wasn't a wise decision. But overall, another positive day for Smith. 

Fitzpatrick observations: He threw an interception for the second consecutive day. Those are his only two turnovers of camp. Thursday's pick was on a deep throw, at the very end of practice, that Marcus Williams hauled in. Fitzpatrick faced a bit more pass-rush pressure than Smith on Thursday. He was "sacked" twice, by Dexter McDougle and Trevor Reilly. Fitzpatrick also had to throw away another pass due to pressure. During 7-on-7 action, Fitzpatrick made a sharp sideline throw to Jonathon Rumph. In a team period, Fitzpatrick had a great deep pass to Enunwa, though Enunwa did a fine job bringing the ball in. Fitzpatrick needed just one play in his red-zone team period -- a 20-yard touchdown strike over the middle to Jace Amaro, right down the seam. But Fitzpatrick did end his practice with that pick. And that's a big no-no, considering the Jets' recent history with quarterbacks and turnovers. 

Advantage: Still Smith. It is his job to lose. He hasn't played poorly enough to lose it ... and Fitzpatrick hasn't played well enough -- not by a long shot -- to take it away from Smith. How will Smith look when the season begins, or even when preseason games get going? That is anybody's best guess. But he looks fine so far in

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

My friend, I have no intention of debating you on something that is clearly a cognitive deficiency on your part.

if it was not clear to you before, let me make it abundantly clear now, and perhaps we may find some form of peace:

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick played very poorly in 2016

2. Ryan Fitzpatrick was a material cause of the teams problems of offense in 2016.

3. Ryan Fitzpatrick was a material cause, but not the only cause, of the teams overall failings in 2016.

4. Ryan Fitzpatrick, as handled by Macc via a very late signing, was a poor decision for 2016.

5. Ryan Fitzpatrick is currently unemployed because he is a mediocre and often disappointing Veteran QB whose last play was rather horrible. 

6. ANY Jets Fan who would want to resign Ryan Fitzpatrick for the Jets in 2017 is in serious need of mental health help.

7. It is very likely Ryan Fitzpatrick has played his last down as an NFL QB.  Rightfully so, at his age and skill level, he is unlikely to provide any team in any circumstance much more than a 25th-30th level of play quality is spot backup/fill in work, performance most teams could easily get from their own developmental backup QB's.

8. There is no pass for Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He was given an opportunity, and he failed.  While other factors most certainly played a part, they are not in any form excuses for his poor play.

I don't think it's possible to be more clear than this.  

By all means, please let me know when some of our resident Geno fans can be this direct and unmerciful about Geno, because while you may not be reading it or understanding it, the vast majority of former Fitz supporters will agree and HAVE BEEN AGREEING with what is written above for quite some time now.  Any ongoing claim to the contrary is literally the definition of a Straw Man argument.

You have a great day August.  

It's easy to say this NOW. However during the season while all of this stuff was going on there was a ton of excuse making going on. Even by yourself which is ironic in itself considering that you're now acting like you had this stance since October/November. I highly doubt you thought back in last offseason that the contract negotiations were being handled wrong in the sense of them keeping the offer on the table. I remember you deflecting blame to the Revis', and the Wilkerson's/Richardson's of the world for the majority cause of problems on the team. I remember you mostly blaming the play calling and the other players around Fitzpatrick for the offense struggling. I also remember you saying that even if Fitzpatrick is off the Jets in 2017, that some other team will give him a look. So it's cute that you've changed your stance but please cut out the revisionist history as if you always had those thoughts. 

If you've paid attention instead of trying to be a snarky wise ass. Most Geno supporters have admitted that he has his problems and some can admit that he is not a good quarterback. But why should Geno supporters reiterate that point when you guys ignore any positives and only want to talk about the negatives? I'm not really sure what you exactly want to hear specifically from Geno supporters? He wasn't a good quarterback but he showed flashes. If you want me to rip him to shreds then that's not happening, you guys do that enough for the both of us.

I used the word apology when a better one would be an admission.  An admission by a Smith Fan that they were wrong about Smith.

He has been "freed" of his Jets contract, was free to go to any team, to presumably the highest bidder.  If he was anywhere near as good as Smith Fans contended, he would have gotten a far better deal than what he has now.

The market establishes value, and under the collective bargaining agreement, the market could only have assigned a lower value if no one had signed him, and he still might not make the team.

His guaranteed salary I believe by the arithmetic is approximately 1/16th of what Fitzpatrick got last year.  Sure the Jets did not get adequate value on that.  But as far as the market is concerned, it is what it is. 

Just one admission?  It doesn't seem too much to ask.

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

Well, he certainly didn't have a broken leg wk1 of 2015. Fitznutz make it sound like he had an amputated leg. And I guess "full go" isn't actually full go then? And yes, they both sucked. It's just that Fitz was worse than Geno, the only point I've been making since we took on the beard. Not sure why that is incredibly hard to comprehend for most Fitznutz, including @Integrity28. SMDH. 

Why are you talking about Fitz and mentioning me? My remark earlier in this thread was about Geno sucking at football. Which is completely unrelated to Fitzpatrick, no matter how much you try to spin it into a comparison argument. You're first response was stupid, this one is pathetic.

I'm sorry my generalized insult shook you so much. Try to be less insecure, and more intelligent in how you process dialogue. Then maybe you can participate in a conversation where you are talking about the same topic that others are, and not come across as a ninny.

1 minute ago, August said:

Most Geno supporters have admitted that he has his problems and some can admit that he is not a good quarterback. But why should Geno supporters reiterate that point when you guys ignore any positives and only want to talk about the negatives? I'm not really sure what you exactly want to hear specifically from Geno supporters? He wasn't a good quarterback but he showed flashes. If you want me to rip him to shreds then that's not happening, you guys do that enough for the both of us.

I must have missed the bolded part.  What former Smith Fan has admitted they were wrong about him?

Archived