With the 6th pick

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

It is irritatingly effective. So much so, that I'm compelled to speak out against. :D

Speak out against him to other fans. We need to force new ownership somehow.  Maybe someone can uncover some video of him saying something bad about black people like that old NBA guy. Hell use CGI if we have to.  Get that loser the fu&< out of here.

1 hour ago, Lil Woody said:

The idea that Mac is on the hot seat in a rebuild year is hilarious. This QB class SUCKS.  They are ALL 2nd round talents or worse. No.  You pass on them, draft top talent at 6. WR, OLB or Howard. If there was a LT worth including in this class I'd include that position as well.  No reaching for sh*tty QBs, no raw FS, no limited SS, no DTs, just impact players for the rebuild.

If we can come out of this draft with a WR, TE, OT, OC, OLB and CB I'm thrilled. RBs are around every year. Great class, but so what. It's a position we can buy off in FA until we get a QB, and an OL and a full compliment or WRs/TEs.  FS and SS can also wait.  Lets see what Middleton, Martin and Miles can do. Get another CB and put Burris, Skrine and a rookie out there and see what they can do.  Whats the worst that happens.....we lose games? LOL.

This really depends on how Macc views the WRs.  It does not matter how he views Hack.  Hack has to show he has gotten his act together this Summer.  If Hack turns out good it is a high class problem-he can be traded.

The 6th Pick has to be a day 1 starter and JETS future star, unless they are picking a QB.

If they pick Trubisky and he turns out to be good, but the Jets still stink and draft Darnold in 2018, trade Trubisky and draft Darnold.  But there is alot that can happen such that the Jets are not drafting Darnold.

The way I see it, the JETS future stars are Hooker, Adams, Garrett and Howard.  I would not take Fournette (roster too needy to take a RB whose life may be limited), Allen (not another DT), Thomas (a 4-3 end) and Lattimore (too injury prone).  Trubisky is a potential QB better than anyone we have had since...whenever.  Yes, we like to put down Sanchez, but he was the most successful QB the Jets had in a long time.  But trubisky may not necessarily be a star.

So, if a JETS future star is available they should take him.  Next in line is Trubisky.  You don't pass him up at 6.

But this is all potentially moot....

SF needs a QB.  There is no real guarantee they get Cousins, unless they really have a secret deal to sign him in 2018.  In that case, maybe they trade 2 to a team that wants Trubisky.  The Bears have Glennon-they need a long term answer at QB.  The Jaguars may want to pick him, or they can trade the pick.

Cleveland has a ton of picks.  Trubisky is a relatively cheap QB draft pick and FROM CLEVELAND.   They have plenty of cap space.  Why wouldn't they draft him?  Who is their QB?  They supposedly want to take the BPA Garrett at 1.  Trubisky will not make it to 12.

So my prediction is that there is a very active trade market as SF tries to squeeze Cleveland, Washington tries to squeeze SF to pony up something for Cousins, Cleveland potentially tries to leapfrog the Jets if Trubisky falls past 2, and the Jets doing little or anything, but maybe getting squeezed by the Jaguars to move up one pick.  That works for the Jaguars because they don't drop that far.

But I also don't buy Watson as a top 15 pick.  I just don't.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

If the GM thinks that his job is on the line THIS year, I  don't think he gives a crap about the QB class next year.  All he cares about is building the roster with players who can win games for him.  If he loves on of the QB's in this year's draft, you better believe that he's going to pick him.

That's my fear dude. Picking In his best interest, not what's necessarily best for the franchise long term. 

32 minutes ago, ATX Jetsfan said:

That's my fear dude. Picking In his best interest, not what's necessarily best for the franchise long term. 

Do people think that Watson's game translates to the NFL, and if so, right away?

I don't know whether, even in a perfect world, Watson helps the Jets win NFL games in 2017.  That is not helping Macc and Bowles keep their jobs.

On 3/23/2017 at 4:23 PM, Lupz27 said:

Well I disagree with you on Fournette, he is my 4th ranked RB behind Mixon, Cook, and McAff, and Kamara is close.  No need to waste a pick on a RB who forces your offense to run, run, pass, punt.  I'm sick of watching that offense, the league has changed the days of very big talented between the tackle RB's going top 10, heck even top 20 should be over.

Oh look mel kiper here..  he is your 4th ranked running back?!??!? Lol are you like alot of people that try and sound smart by going against ever scout,coach and talent evaluater? Please tell me why you have him ranked 4th? Have to hear this... my ranking would be 

Fournette

Mixon

Cook

Mcaf

4 minutes ago, Favorite_Toon said:

Oh look mel kiper here..  he is your 4th ranked running back?!??!? Lol are you like alot of people that try and sound smart by going against ever scout,coach and talent evaluater? Please tell me why you have him ranked 4th? Have to hear this... my ranking would be 

Fournette

Mixon

Cook

Mcaf

we can agree that he is probably the most appealing RB in the draft... but that does not mean he is worth taking at #6.  Never.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

we can agree that he is probably the most appealing RB in the draft... but that does not mean he is worth taking at #6.  Never.

Ok who you like? An inside line backer? Another DT? Or maybe a saftey? And watch mcown all fcking year handing the ball of to our stud rbs we have. Cmon man.. At some point you need to draft offensive playmakers.. That is a must.. they say our d was so bad last year and i agree..but alot of besides not beng able to cover a wr was that the d was on the field most of the time.

5 minutes ago, Favorite_Toon said:

Ok who you like? An inside line backer? Another DT? Or maybe a saftey? And watch mcown all fcking year handing the ball of to our stud rbs we have. Cmon man.. At some point you need to draft offensive playmakers.. That is a must.. they say our d was so bad last year and i agree..but alot of besides not beng able to cover a wr was that the d was on the field most of the time.

Let's assume that Mac is not taking a QB at 6 (because if that's what he wants to do, all this is moot).  If it came down to Fournette, Howard or Hooker, I think Mac can easily find a trade-down partner for a team who is enamored with the Fournette hype and we could get one or two really good extra picks.  Frankly, I think Jacksonville takes Fournette at #4 and it will come to a Hooker/Howard type of choice.  In that case, if no one is willing to trade into the spot, I go offense,.  But if Fournette is there, I want Mac to bust his ass finding a trade-down partner.  Good RBs are much easier to find later on than other positions and I'm not buying into the hype that Fournette is one of those special "once-in-a-lifetime" players.  But I sure hope other teams are. 

4 minutes ago, Favorite_Toon said:

We're drafting another mediocre overrated defensive player that TB12 will have no issue carving up on Sunday

How is Fournette a part of the discussion and Williams and Davis are not?   I agree Fournette is not a good pick at 6. He's a RB and while he's a very interesting one, I'd only consider taking him if the draft went as follows.

1-Garrett

2-Williams

3-Howard

4-Davis

5-Barnett

And then you'd still have to pry the card with Solomon Thomas' name on it out of my hands and convince me that a RB is worth the top 6 pick.  RBs available every draft.

18 minutes ago, Favorite_Toon said:

I support picking the BPA within reason.

Players can be categorized in terms of talent.   The Jets do need offensive talent, but they should not pick an offensive player if there is a defensive player at a clear higher talent level on the board, except:

1)  No interior DL for this team.

2)  You reach SOMEWHAT for a QB, if you don't have one.

3) Think hard about whether a RB is an elite talent by definition.

The Jets don't have a QB.

From what I understand, Howard, Hooker, Fourette and Adams are superior talents (as are Allen, Garrett (highest) and likely Thomas).

So I would support picking Howard over Hooker.  Howard over Adams?  Don't know-Adams may be a clear higher talent at a position of need.  

I don't think the WRs (Davis and Wililiams) are at the same talent level as Howard, Adams and Hooker.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Favorite_Toon said:

Fournette

Mixon

Cook

Mcaf

No need to waste a pick on a RB who forces your offense to run, run, pass, punt.  I'm sick of watching that offense, the league has changed the days of very big talented between the tackle RB's going top 10, heck even top 20 should be over.

I already did in the quoted post.

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

1A) OJ Howard 

1B) Leonard Fournette

No QB at 6 please!

If the jets select Oj howard I wouldnt be upset in the least. If the jets traded back to 12 with the browns so they can take there hometown kid trubisky and have us there second this year I wouldnt cry either. I would hope though the jets can get howard and then give mixon a chance in the third round. 

• Upvote 2

So listen to this scenario.  I love listening to Jim Miller and Pat Kirwin on NFL Radio.  Every Friday until the actual Draft  they do their Mock Drafts and add in possible situations.  In this Mock today 3/24 Jim Miller throws this zinger.  With the 6th pick in the draft, The NY Jets select QB Deshawn Watson calling him the best gamer QB to come out.  Because Watson was available with the 6th pick, the Jets got a call from the Texans who trade a 3rd round pick for Hackenberg giving the Jets three third round picks.

Just thought it was a different  way of thinking that none of us brought up (It is though provoking). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NYDreamer said:

So listen to this scenario.  I love listening to Jim Miller and Pat Kirwin on NFL Radio.  Every Friday until the actual Draft  they do their Mock Drafts and add in possible situations.  In this Mock today 3/24 Jim Miller throws this zinger.  With the 6th pick in the draft, The NY Jets select QB Deshawn Watson calling him the best gamer QB to come out.  Because Watson was available with the 6th pick, the Jets got a call from the Texans who trade a 3rd round pick for Hackenberg giving the Jets three third round picks.

Just thought it was a different  way of thinking that none of us brought up (It is though provoking). 

No

• Upvote 1

On 3/23/2017 at 4:04 PM, Lupz27 said:

Whoever the Jets take at 6 overall has to start day 1 (unless injured), and if that player is Trubisky the Jets will go 1-15 at best believe me.  Now what do you do when the next Peyton Manning, and Andrew Luck NFL ready QB is starring you right in the face, pass on him because maybe Trubisky develops, MAYBE?

I would think that would make the Trubisky pick a complete and utter waste.   They have the 6th pick and a pick at the top of each round except the 4th for now in a deep deep deep draft.  Why not draft players to help your future QB?  The Jets are going to be really bad again this year while these draft picks go through their lumps.  As of right now, and I know things can change drastically rather quickly, but the 2018 QB draft class is looking promising so why not have a gameplan to draft a QB next year and for this year just focus on drafting talent for this future QB.  

Or is that dumb?  Is it a bad idea to gameplan like that where too many things can happy with these QBs?  They can regress, they can get hurt, they can choose to stay in school.  There are a lot of outside factors, but I think I would still draft players in this draft knowing that I'm drafting my franchise QB in 2018.  I would do anything to be able to sit in that war room while they're deciding on these picks..

• Upvote 1

On 3/23/2017 at 4:21 PM, ATX Jetsfan said:

Why?

This boggles my mind. Why take a QB with the 6th pick in a largely acknowledged weak QB draft, when next year is one of the best crops in a while, and we are pretty much guaranteed to be picking back in the top 5 again. 

If you take Trubisky, you have to be SURE, he is a franchise QB. And not just taking him because Oh well, we need a QB, might as well. You are locking yourself up in that pick for the next 3 years, and taking yourself out of the running for a Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Rudolph,etc next year. 

no you dont, you draft darnold or rosen, just cut petty. now you have more quarterback competition and options.

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

Let's assume that Mac is not taking a QB at 6 (because if that's what he wants to do, all this is moot).  If it came down to Fournette, Howard or Hooker, I think Mac can easily find a trade-down partner for a team who is enamored with the Fournette hype and we could get one or two really good extra picks.  Frankly, I think Jacksonville takes Fournette at #4 and it will come to a Hooker/Howard type of choice.  In that case, if no one is willing to trade into the spot, I go offense,.  But if Fournette is there, I want Mac to bust his ass finding a trade-down partner.  Good RBs are much easier to find later on than other positions and I'm not buying into the hype that Fournette is one of those special "once-in-a-lifetime" players.  But I sure hope other teams are. 

you would pass on fournette to get extra picks, why not draft fournette!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jbeachboy said:

fournette is once in a lifetime type of player!!!!!!!

Maybe. I'm 100% not-convinced he is that.  This team has a great number of holes in need of repair and there is no need to invest a premium pick on the RB position now, while we can still wring out a losing year from Forte and Powell in 2017.  RB position is short-lived and easy to replace at a decent price on the FA market when needed.   Use #6 on a position more difficult to fill and a little more urgent for the team to fill as well.  We could use the extra pick obviously.  

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Maybe. I'm 100% not-convinced he is that.  This team has a great number of holes in need of repair and there is no need to invest a premium pick on the RB position now, while we can still wring out a losing year from Forte and Powell in 2017.  RB position is short-lived and easy to replace at a decent price on the FA market when needed.   Use #6 on a position more difficult to fill and a little more urgent for the team to fill as well.  We could use the extra pick obviously.  

fournette takes pressure off the quarterback, i wouldnt pass if he was there at 6, who do you want in draft then? forte has how many years left?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

20 minutes ago, jbeachboy said:

fournette takes pressure off the quarterback, i wouldnt pass if he was there at 6, who do you want in draft then? forte has how many years left?

Any good RB takes pressure off the QB. And Fournette is not taking any pressure off on 3rd and long because he won't be in the game.  

I have to accept the fact that it is easier to get good RBs later in the draft than it is to get other key positions. So why use #6 on a commodity that is easier to get later?  Not a sound strategy, IMO.

Forte has this upcoming season and the Jets can cut him with only $1 million in dead money.  Or they might decide to squeeze 2 yrs out of him for his 3 million 2018 salary. That would be a mistake, IMO.

• Upvote 1

Whoever the Jets take at 6 overall has to start day 1 (unless injured)

Why?  Because you say so?  Lol, no.

, and if that player is Trubisky the Jets will go 1-15 at best believe me.

If we drafted Trubisky, it's doubtful he would start, but if he did we'd still be better than a 1 win team.

Now what do you do when the next Peyton Manning, and Andrew Luck NFL ready QB is starring you right in the face, pass on him because maybe Trubisky develops, MAYBE?

Why pass?  If we somehow picked #1, and a legit QB is there, you take him.  Period.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

10 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

I like Miller and Kirwin, but I listened to them doing one of those mocks last season and it was beyond silly.  There seemed to be at least a dozen trades in the first round.  Couldn't take it seriously.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

I like Miller and Kirwin, but I listened to them doing one of those mocks last season and it was beyond silly.  There seemed to be at least a dozen trades in the first round.  Couldn't take it seriously.

12 is a lot of trades, but I can see a bunch.   

I think teams are paying coy. Those that like the QBs will trade up for them