Joe Mixon

varjet

I understand that picking him would be very politically unpopular, particular in the NY area.

I also understand that he is a tremendous player and would be a great value, particularly rounds 3 and below.

I was completely ignorant as to what he did so I did some research.  The story behind his assault is quite interesting and is not necessarily incapable of being redeemed.   To make a long story short, this is not someone who beat his partner as a matter of habit.  He basically slugged a woman who was striking him, who he did not really know, at 2 in the morning (and all that implies).  

Someone will take him, but for the Jets it may be too much.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't want him on the Jets. I'm curious to see how the league handles it. I thought for sure Ray Rice would get a shot and never did. But plenty others have been given second and third chances. 

I'm guessing teams will shy away from him because of the video being out there. 

23 minutes ago, varjet said:

I was completely ignorant as to what he did so I did some research. 

I'm with you. My research just took 30 seconds. I typed Joe Mixon into Google and the first thing that pops up is a video of him knocking a chick out in as deliberate a manner as possible. Probably going to give him a hard pass

7 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I'm with you. My research just took 30 seconds. I typed Joe Mixon into Google and the first thing that pops up is a video of him knocking a chick out in as deliberate a manner as possible. Probably going to give him a hard pass

There is a lead-in to the slugging. Allegedly, Mixon and his friends were insulting the victim's friend with anti-gay slurs on the street.  They found themselves together in a coffee shop.  She walked up to him, attacked him physically and verbally.  Rather than walking away, or restraining her, his split second decision was to slug her.  Had he been able to not hit her back, it was she who could have faced charges for assault.  She also has little recollection of the incident-she was impaired.

I am condoning what Mixon did, but I don't think the media gave this story a balanced perspective.  Mixon is not Ray Rice, or Adrian Peterson, or even Michael Vick for that matter.  He made a snap bad decision late at night while being assaulted.  He has apologized and has stayed out of trouble.  

Some team is going to get themselves a good player.  I could see him being Ezekiel Elliott's back up (the guy who pulled a woman's top down in a bar).  

If he's a good player, people simply won't care. We all like to stand on our soapboxes but at the end of the day, all that matters is production.

Big Ben - Face of franchise

Jameis Winston - Face of franchise

NFL is total bullsh*t with their pretending to care. All they really want to do is control the top talent and keep all the top talent under "the shield".  Notice how only the sh*tty players get excommunicated from the NFL?  Because they don't matter (are not profitable). If they blacklisted all the players who were scumbags, another league would form overnight. And competition is a bad thing for those 32 old bastards.

I know its unpopular and the guy did something terrible but he is just a kid himself. I would draft him and have a no tolerance policy with him. Tell him one mistake, one incident of any kind and your cut. Give the kid a chance and see what you get. If he is irredeemable then be done with him. Everyone deserves a second chance. Its not like he is a grown man just a dumb kid who made a mistake.

I definitely wouldn't. If I had a team, he's definitely not the type of guy I'd want on it. Despite the fact that most of these athletes in pro sports are your basic entitled, undereducated assholes, I would not want my teams image to be associated with losers like this. There are assholes and there are stupid assholes.  Mixon is a stupid a$$hole. I have been in the same situations he was in, drunk, crazy bitch coming after me with a fistfull of keys through her fingers like wolverine claws and I just grabbed her wrist and stopped her and asked the bouncers to remove her for me.  Your split second reaction speaks to who you are in that moment.  You can't dismiss it as it happened so fast....I just reacted.  This isn't a car accident.  it's an assault.  Those type of guys are plain stupid.  Take one of our own idiots....As soon as Sheldon got arrested a day after the press conference he promised not to embarrass us at....then when we found out how idiotic and reckless he was with a minor in the car....you knew everything you need to know about him and his professionalism and intelligence.  I wanted him cut immediately.  You just damage your team so much having losers like that speak for your organization. Sets the tone that nobody is in control of anything.  In our case, it's true....which sucks.

2 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I know its unpopular and the guy did something terrible but he is just a kid himself. I would draft him and have a no tolerance policy with him. Tell him one mistake, one incident of any kind and your cut. Give the kid a chance and see what you get. If he is irredeemable then be done with him. Everyone deserves a second chance. Its not like he is a grown man just a dumb kid who made a mistake.

He's not 15. He's 20. Stop with this he's just a kid bullsh*t. He's a man. I did stupid sh*t at 20, absolutely, but I was also held responsible for my actions.  Everybody just wants to hand out 2nd chances. OK. It should be that he threw his NFL career away, now lets give him a second chance by allowing him to return to school and finish his degree so that he can go get a job and have a real chance to support a family. A second chance doesn't mean your idiocy is wiped clean and there should be no consequences for it.

5 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

He's not 15. He's 20. Stop with this he's just a kid bullsh*t. He's a man. I did stupid sh*t at 20, absolutely, but I was also held responsible for my actions.  Everybody just wants to hand out 2nd chances. OK. It should be that he threw his NFL career away, now lets give him a second chance by allowing him to return to school and finish his degree so that he can go get a job and have a real chance to support a family. A second chance doesn't mean your idiocy is wiped clean and there should be no consequences for it.

A man? Not in today's reality. These 20 year olds are still boys, hell most of them can't even walk and chew gum at the same time. I'm not condoning what he did but did you see the whole video? If he did nothing chances are the young woman would be the one in cuffs for assaulting him. Violence is never the answer but NO ONE should put their hands on anyone. Including SJW's who think because they are a woman they can do as they please without some consequences of their own. I AM NOT SAYING IT IS OKAY TO HIT A WOMAN. I am just saying that in this incident no one was thinking rationally or clearly. Its a tough situation.

Just now, JetFaninMI said:

A man? Not in today's reality. These 20 year olds are still boys, hell most of them can't even walk and chew gum at the same time. I'm not condoning what he did but did you see the whole video? If he did nothing chances are the young woman would be the one in cuffs for assaulting him. Violence is never the answer but NO ONE should put their hands on anyone. Including SJW's who think because they are a woman they can do as they please without some consequences of their own. I AM NOT SAYING IT IS OKAY TO HIT A WOMAN. I am just saying that in this incident no one was thinking rationally or clearly. Its a tough situation.

The fact that our young men and women are completely unprepared for real life doesn't give them a free pass. We keep protecting them and apologizing for them and with all the helicopter parenting that has gone on, we have failed them and made them incredibly weak.

When you can easily overpower your attacker...you only need to stop the attack. Here is the video.

This wasn't some 300lb beast woman.  She got in his face, slapped his chest like a child and he tries to scare her with a head fake, then when that fails, he just lays her out. It can't be justified away. He's a coward and a piece of sh*t.

The fact that our young men and women are completely unprepared for real life doesn't give them a free pass. We keep protecting them and apologizing for them and with all the helicopter parenting that has gone on, we have failed them and made them incredibly weak.

When you can easily overpower your attacker...you only need to stop the attack. Here is the video.

This wasn't some 300lb beast woman.  She got in his face, slapped his chest like a child and he tries to scare her with a head fake, then when that fails, he just lays her out. It can't be justified away. He's a coward and a piece of sh*t.

Who is justifying anything? All I'm saying is that he did something stupid in the heat of the moment. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Just now, JetFaninMI said:

You have your opinion and I have mine.

Yup.  That's how this whole message board thing works.  I disagree and lay out why...you give your reasons why not. We can disagree and still be civil about it. To each other. I can't be civil in talking about a POS that hits women. Sorry.

And IMO it did seem like you were apologizing for it/justifying it a bit with your last post"...without some consequences of their own....they were drunk, not thinking clearly...tough situation..."  You see how I can assume there was some justification there. But if you say you meant it differently, fine, I can accept that.

5 minutes ago, peebag said:

hmmm....if Ray Lewis was given a 2nd chance, this kid should get one too.

So what I'm hearing you say is..."hey we were wrong before and gave a criminal sh*tbag a 2nd chance....so we should keep making the same mistake cause it wouldn't be fair to the next criminal sh*tbags."

32 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its not that simple.  She started attacking him and he snapped.

Shes just as at fault as he is.

If this was a guy that did this, nobody would care. 

But since society treats women like fragile and precious snowflakes who can do no wrong, there's an outrage.

I'm not condoning violence, but people need to keep their hands to themselves and there wont ever be any problems 

Yup.  That's how this whole message board thing works.  I disagree and lay out why...you give your reasons why not. We can disagree and still be civil about it. To each other. I can't be civil in talking about a POS that hits women. Sorry.

And IMO it did seem like you were apologizing for it/justifying it a bit with your last post"...without some consequences of their own....they were drunk, not thinking clearly...tough situation..."  You see how I can assume there was some justification there. But if you say you meant it differently, fine, I can accept that.

Fair enough. I did say in caps that I was not condoning it. I guess in your assumption you missed that. Anyway I really don't care all that much what you can or cannot accept. Lets just say we agree to disagree on this one.

2 minutes ago, King P said:

If this was a guy that did this, nobody would care. 

But since society treats women like fragile and precious snowflakes who can do no wrong, there's an outrage.

I'm not condoning violence, but people need to keep their hands to themselves and there wont ever be any problems 

Agreed.  Male or female, if u r going to put your hands on somebody, be prepared for the consequences.  

Hopefully, they both learned a lesson from this incident and will conduct themselves different in the future.

1 minute ago, JetFaninMI said:

Fair enough. I did say in caps that I was not condoning it. I guess in your assumption you missed that. Anyway I really don't care all that much what you can or cannot accept. Lets just say we agree to disagree on this one.

That's fine. We disagree.

And I did notice the all caps. But I reacted to what came next....kind of like when someone says..."I'm not racist, but...."

18 minutes ago, peebag said:

hmmm....if Ray Lewis was given a 2nd chance, this kid should get one too.

Ray Lewis wasnt given a second chance, he wasnt found guilty.

This case is someone guilty and not having to pay the price

1 minute ago, Lil Woody said:

But it wasn't a guy. 

And treating violence against women differently is ok, because women are different. Pretending otherwise is absurd.

Agree on the last point though.

Its not 1930 anymore.  Violence is violence.  

Now if you want to talked about provoked/unprovoked, big difference.  

In my mind the minute she struck him in the face/neck area, all bets are off.  

Hes reaction was terrible but u cant go around hitting people and not expect someone to hit back.  Male or female.

Both idiots imo.

Joe Mixon punched a bitch, AP whooped his own kid with a stick yet because Mixon got caught on camera he is cancer.  Joe Mixon will be the best pro back 10 years from now from this draft IF he doesn't hit no more women on camera.

30 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

That's fine. We disagree.

And I did notice the all caps. But I reacted to what came next....kind of like when someone says..."I'm not racist, but...."

Just what are you implying?  This from the ignoramus who starts a thread about what would Jet Fans reactions be to having a QB of a certain religious affiliation? Sorry but after that gem you don't have a leg to stand on. That's why I don't give a rats ass what you have to say. MOMZER.

Mixon does not appear to be a pathological problem.  He snapped under bad conditions.

He is not beating his wife or children in his home.  He had a split second to restrain or strike, and he struck.

Yet he is being portrayed like Ray Rice, who beat his wife in an elevator.

Mixon is not Ray Rice.  This split second cost him millions of dollars.

Even the prosecutors knew this case was a loser.  It is all politics.

Archived