To QB or not QB

Dinamite

To QB or not QB  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer the Jets pick your favorite QB from this class at #6 or wait till next year?

• Pick my favorite QB (e.g. Watson, Trubisky) at #6 this year
    • Do not pick QB at #6 this year and save it for next year.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have no answer at the most important position in sports, but if we get a shot at one this year we should turn it down and wait for Darnold, because that's a workable plan that definitely doesn't depend on a million things breaking exactly right. Also Petty and Hackenberg, come on folks, one of them is bound to work out. A nurse comes to my house and velcros my shoes for me every morning

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I'm on the phone until the allotted time is just about up and then I take the best available player at a premium position of need  For me those positions are

QB, ER, LT, C, NT,

If the scouts truly believe that Hooker or Adams could be all time safeties, I'm also fine with that. It's amazing what Berry & Thomas do for KC & Seattle and how different their defense looks without them. Think about what guys like Bob Sanders, even McCourty has become a very good safety & solidified the secondary for New England. 

Whether the Jets go offense or defense this year I'd like to see them go top 2 picks either way. Like OJ Howard/RB at 2, or Hooker/Adams then CB or ER at 2. I truly believe they need to think of 2017 & 2018 drafts as the rebuild years. It's imperative that Macc & his scouts nail these 2 drafts.

42 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

We have no answer at the most important position in sports, but if we get a shot at one this year we should turn it down and wait for Darnold, because that's a workable plan that definitely doesn't depend on a million things breaking exactly right. Also Petty and Hackenberg, come on folks, one of them is bound to work out. A nurse comes to my house and velcros my shoes for me every morning

What?!?!?!

15 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I like a third option:

Do not pick QB at #6 this year and hope Hackenberg develops.

Unbelievable how a QB who turns 22 this year and is takne in the 2nd round is already written off as an option.

I think that is part of don't pick qb this year (see what you already have). If Hack works out, great? but either way, you don't pick qb this year you leave open the possibility of seeing what you have and if necessary picking QB next year.

Keep drafting the best QB available as high in the draft as possible until you get it right.

This isn't a Ground & Pound league.  You can get an offensive lineman, a safety, a pass rusher, and a wide receiver in free agency.  The quarterback is impossible to find outside of the draft.

SAR I

so if Trubisky is there at  pick #6, do  you want him?  How about Watson?  Or do we wait and pick lesser prospects in the later rounds?  Or should we wait until 2018 draft for an allegedly better QB crop?

16 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I like a third option:

Do not pick QB at #6 this year and hope Hackenberg develops.

Unbelievable how a QB who turns 22 this year and is takne in the 2nd round is already written off as an option.

Let me ask you this question .  let's say that Hackenberg gets the nod this year, and goes out and looks the part of a franchise QB in the making . Let's also say that despite that, the Jets still end up with the top pick in the 2018 draft and Sam Darnold declares and is your consensus #1 over all pick .

Should the Jets trade this pick, draft this player or take another position because you believe that position is already filled on your team ?

none of it really matters until they have the coaches that can develop them and an owner with the patience to lose while they are doing it.

so to me you need to build an o-line and get a TE first so whoever it is has a prayer

43 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

The only way for sustainable success in the NFL or any other profession is to replace inferior players with better players. The Jets don't do that. They will be on the phone looking to trade out

Would you consider replacing Petty with say a Trubisky  would placate your desire  ?

How about replacing a broken down Giacomini  with Ijalana and Shell who is a draft pick ?

How about a broken down Mangold with a player like Johnson who filled in adequately while looking for an upgrade .

It's all in how you see a thing , isn't it .

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Keep drafting the best QB available as high in the draft as possible until you get it right.

This isn't a Ground & Pound league.  You can get an offensive lineman, a safety, a pass rusher, and a wide receiver in free agency.  The quarterback is impossible to find outside of the draft.

SAR I

I used to subscribe to this theory but it just doesn't work unless you are willing to carry 4-5 QB's on the roster every year.  And even then, there aren't enough reps to go around at practice.   What happens if Mahomes is the best QB in the draft?   Can Macc really have another redshirt?     

Mike Maccagnan is paid very, very well to find a QB.   If he can't do it then they'll find a GM who can.   

6 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Would you consider replacing Petty with say a Trubisky  would placate your desire  ?

How about replacing a broken down Giacomini  with Ijalana and Shell who is a draft pick ?

How about a broken down Mangold with a player like Johnson who filled in adequately while looking for an upgrade .

It's all in how you see a thing , isn't it .

I stated better players, not draft picks. Better players do not need to be draft picks

16 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Let me ask you this question .  let's say that Hackenberg gets the nod this year, and goes out and looks the part of a franchise QB in the making . Let's also say that despite that, the Jets still end up with the top pick in the 2018 draft and Sam Darnold declares and is your consensus #1 over all pick .

Should the Jets trade this pick, draft this player or take another position because you believe that position is already filled on your team ?

If the Jets are secure with Hackenberg after this season and we still are in position to draft Darnold, trade the pick for an enormous return.  A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

5 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

I stated better players, not draft picks. Better players do not need to be draft picks

The Jets did not draft Johnson.

The Jets did not draft Beachum

The Jets did not draft many of the players that are presently on our roster.

What the Jets have done is replace a lot of old injured players with a lot of younger healthy players . Just because you don't agree with the players that the team acquired, doesn't mean the team hasn't done exactly what you said they don't do .

It's all in how you see a thing  isn't it beloved  ?

10 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

If Hack shows SOMETHING and we still end up with the #1 pick & Darnold is the consensus #1 you draft him no questions asked. They compete for the starting QB position & THEN you trade the loser in that competition for draft picks. 

That's a win, win. We would have 2/3 years under their rookie deals to clearly find out which QB is better. We could go from the team that couldn't find a franchise QB since Namath to having 2 franchise QBs.

If you think about it, as long as Belichick & Brady are in New England, we should be doing everything possible to make sure we have our QB in place for that transition. Like David Harris pointed out in his post, was it really such a big deal that we used a 2nd round pick on Christian Hackenberg?, and why in the world would that preclude us from taking a consensus Franchise QB in 2018 if the opportunity presents itself? 

If such a scenario happened it propel us into the most significant era of of existence and finally settle us into a decade of playoff games & hopefully Super Bowl appearances.

If Hackenberg does develop, which isn't that farfetched really, there will be a lot of Jet fans with egg on their faces. The funny thing about Jet fans is some of them are actually happier if the player fails, especially if that was there projection, then to be COMPLETELY WRONG, look like a horses azz, but the Jets become yearly participants in the playoffs. 

Im being completely serious. This self flagulation & pitying among Jet fans has gone as far as literally hoping & yearning for failure as a self fulfilling prophesy.

if Maccagnan cant get Hackenburg onto the field then he should be fired. said it that night it was a waste of a pick and it ruined our draft. 

that being said, I voted option B, do not take QB at 6 this year. none of them are worth it. # 36 pick, now that is a different story. any of the 3 slide there and I think we'd have to take one and throw him into the QB competition. Mahomes too. 

but the # 6 pick should be used to draft a stud/aka the best player available. the # 6 pick should not be used to draft another project QB. 

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The Jets did not draft Johnson.

The Jets did not draft Beachum

The Jets did not draft many of the players that are presently on our roster.

What the Jets have done is replace a lot of old injured players with a lot of younger healthy players . Just because you don't agree with the players that the team acquired, doesn't mean the team hasn't done exactly what you said they don't do .

It's all in how you see a thing  isn't it beloved  ?

3 games does not make She'll a better player

McCown is not better than Smith

This GM to this point in time has severely mismanaged the QB position. Nearly as bad as he mismanaged the roster last season along with the salary cap. All that dead money is mismanagement.

You should look at the overall Jets team and not attemt to cherry pick a few points. The Jets are losers. The GM is not doing a good job

9 minutes ago, 19andOhWait said:

if Maccagnan cant get Hackenburg onto the field then he should be fired. said it that night it was a waste of a pick and it ruined our draft. 

that being said, I voted option B, do not take QB at 6 this year. none of them are worth it. # 36 pick, now that is a different story. any of the 3 slide there and I think we'd have to take one and throw him into the QB competition. Mahomes too. 

but the # 6 pick should be used to draft a stud/aka the best player available. the # 6 pick should not be used to draft another project QB. 

so..... a late 2nd round pick bust "ruins" an entire draft?  Okay.  I guess 11 years ago the Jets draft was "ruined" as well by taking Clemens in the latter half of round 2 too. 

People here act like Hack was a top 5 pick.  He was a 2nd rounder; a late 2nd rounder at that.  Please look at QBs picked by NFL teams in 2nd half of the second round over the past 20 years and tell me what % of them succeed.  Christ, Denver fans don't seem to be hammering Elway for picking Lynch in the first round and looked like garbage in camp and when they put him out on the field.  

Go ahead and look at all the QBs chosen with picks 49-64 through the years and then look at the incessant whining on this board about Hackenberg.  Too funny.

45 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

let's say that Hackenberg gets the nod this year, and goes out and looks the part of a franchise QB in the making . Let's also say that despite that, the Jets still end up with the top pick in the 2018 draft

Ah yes, the classic "team with a 22-year-old franchise QB ends up picking first overall" scenario

2 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

3 games does not make She'll a better player

McCown is not better than Smith

This GM to this point in time has severely mismanaged the QB position. Nearly as bad as he mismanaged the roster last season along with the salary cap. All that dead money is mismanagement.

You should look at the overall Jets team and not attemt to cherry pick a few points. The Jets are losers. The GM is not doing a good job

Why are you so focus on Shell who may not even start ?  For what the Jets needed, Josh McCown is 100% a better option than Geno Smith, who left as a free agent to sign with the Giants .  Good for him by the way  .  Yes, if Geno was on the roster, I believe he would have been the best option, but he wasn't and he signed elsewhere  .  Let it go already .   The only issue I have with the way mac handled the roster was the resigning of Fitzpatrick last year and even I can understand why that was done .

I wonder how many of you would like it if every move you made at your Job, somebody who's not qualified to do it, critique every move you made .  

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

Why are you so focus on Shell who may not even start ?  For what the Jets needed, Josh McCown is 100% a better option than Geno Smith, who left as a free agent to sign with the Giants .  Good for him by the way  .  Yes, if Geno was on the roster, I believe he would have been the best option, but he wasn't and he signed elsewhere  .  Let it go already .   The only issue I have with the way mac handled the roster was the resigning of Fitzpatrick last year and even I can understand why that was done .

I wonder how many of you would like it if every move you made at your Job, somebody who's not qualified to do it, critique every move you made .  

You picked out the players. I just addressed who you selected. How about reading what you write here?

Smith signed with the Giants for less money than McCown. The Jets got fleeced by a loser again. Good teams don't let this happen. Look at the Steelers. They cut losers and bring in better players. That is clearly the model for sustainability.

I run a company. I get blamed for everything?

Clearly everyone makes mistakes. It is how you fix them that counts.

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

so..... a late 2nd round pick bust "ruins" an entire draft?  Okay.  I guess 11 years ago the Jets draft was "ruined" as well by taking Clemens in the latter half of round 2 too. 

People here act like Hack was a top 5 pick.  He was a 2nd rounder; a late 2nd rounder at that.  Please look at QBs picked by NFL teams in 2nd half of the second round over the past 20 years and tell me what % of them succeed.  Christ, Denver fans don't seem to be hammering Elway for picking Lynch in the first round and looked like garbage in camp and when they put him out on the field.  

Go ahead and look at all the QBs chosen with picks 49-64 through the years and then look at the incessant whining on this board about Hackenberg.  Too funny.

slight exaggeration maybe fine but isn't that what internet message boards are for!? lol

maybe you're OK completely throwing away top 50 picks. maybe we're used to this in Jets land, Kyle Brady/Dwayne Robertson/Gholston types. I'm not OK with that. there were red flags all over Hack, poor year, poor attitude, complete mope off the field and we ignored all that because we started scouting him a year ago? bs. 

instead of Hack at 51 we could have had at: Deion Jones (monster), Su'a Cravens, Mackensie Alexander, Tyler Boyd, Cody Whitehair, James Bradberry, Darian Thompson, Jon Bullard, Braxton Miller, CJ Prosise (and some guy named Dak) 

rather have any of them on my roster than someone who was deemed so bad that they couldnt get one snap during a lost season 

If you're a QB needy team, and you have the chance to take the top QB in a given draft, I don't see how you turn that down.

I know I sound like a broken record but all the talk about "next year's" crop of qbs is so nauseating. We are so influenced by what we read on these kids, not what we see.

Most fans on this board have never even seen Darnold or Rosen play a full game. the fact of the matter is that they haven't been fully evaluated by the talking heads yet. Just wait til next year and all the warts start coming out on these guys. Then the same fans will be saying "wait til 2019 for Jacob Eason!"  

I reiterate...we may have our top pick of any QB in this draft. How many years can we say that? Strike now. Scout the heck out of these guys, because I will guarantee at least 2 QBs from this draft become franchise guys. Can Macc identify that guy??? He at least has to take the shot.

Preferences:

1. If our GM believes an available QB at #6 is a Franchise QB, then I support picking him (Trubisky or Watson).  It's risky, but we can always go QB in the 1st next year too the way the NFL works now.

2. If our GM does not like the two players above, then draft whatever in the first (I keep hearing CB, that's fine) and look at Mahomes in the 2nd.  The "next Favre" comments I hear a ton about with Mahones makes a 2nd round risk worth it, especially if we play Hack/Petty in 2017 and let Mahomes learn.

3. If we don;t go QB at #6, and don't/can't get Mahones in the 2nd, then I strongly support drafting a QB in the middle rounds.  Like  Peterman or similar developmental QB prospect.

4. Regardless, whomever I would draft does not play in 2017.  Period.  Preseason, sure, start, no.  And if Hack and/or Petty fails to show proper development in 2017, they are cut loose, and I draft another QB in 2018.

And I draft another, and another, and another, till we find a franchise QB.  Two full years in a system is long enough to know if the pick has a chance or does not IMO. 

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Darnold is 1 of 5 QBs with major potential next year. You're telling me not that not 1 of them is going to continue their momentum, and that we won't have a shot at any of them?

If you're hungry, is that an excuse to eat a log sh*t? This year is sh*t. You can complain about the warts on the roster presently, but that doesn't polish the draft turds into diamonds this year.

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Darnold is 1 of 5 QBs with major potential next year. You're telling me not that not 1 of them is going to continue their momentum, and that we won't have a shot at any of them?

Historically speaking, I think it's safe to say that at least three and probably four will not "continue their momentum," whatever that means, and that we won't have a shot at the one or two who do.

36 minutes ago, Paradis said:

If you're hungry, is that an excuse to eat a log sh*t? This year is sh*t. You can complain about the warts on the roster presently, but that doesn't polish the draft turds into diamonds this year.

And if you die of starvation before you get that Ribeye,  then what ?

What we can always hope is that all the other "sucky" teams draft QB's this year if we don't want them then hopefully they all turn into FQB's so even if we don't get the top pick everyone else will already have their FQB of the future and Darnold falls to us. Yes! High Five.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived