Bowles: Lame Duck or Last Chance?

Lil Woody

3 minutes ago, peebag said:

I consider it a disaster.

It was necessary and this off season is the reason why . If the Jets continued winning with those old players, we might have done what we did with Fitzpatrick  and extended them to stay the course . It was a iron pyrite and needed to be identified as such .

This current team is better off .

McCown is a better Veteran Backup option than Fitzpatrick

Petty and Hack are going to be more acceptable to certain fans than geno

That's where it begins and ends on a football team .

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sunshiners on this site are too much. Are we so desperate for something to grasp on to that we have totally lost sight of what went on here last season and even the season prior? Must I rehash the absolute embarrassment of Buffalo in 2015, Kansas City, Miami or Arizona in 2016? Must I remind them of Indy Monday night falling behind by a million TD's in the first 10 minutes of the game, or kicking a FG at NE behind 41-0? Has the team beaten a winning organization since he got here without help from the refs (NE @ home 2015)? Have we forgotten that the entire team basically quit on this loser after week 4 last season, I mean WTF already? How can any REAL Jet fan root for this dope to improve or even expect he will in the least? He acts like he has won the past 5 SB's and his way of doing things is the only way, which to me is the most aggravating thing about him. Listening to him speak takes years off of my life, I just want to jump through the radio or TV and strangle his ass.

I have no problem going on record stating that I still want him out of here today. Not next January. Now. His moribund personality has infected this organization. His total lack of understanding of offense, ST's, and apparently defense as well shows that he has no business being a HC in the NFL. How many times will we listen next season to his post game loss conference(s) telling us how Josh McCown gives him the best chance to win (at 1-8 or 1-11) while young 2 & 3 year QB's languish on the bench, never getting reps in practice with the real team, this clouding our future at QB even more? We have no future with this guy at all, it is only going to get worse and more frustrating for us fans. I cannot believe I am the only irate fan here that sees this. I do not want to be negative. I want us to win more than anything. I want to write about winning AFC East titles and going to Super Bowls, not about this idiot.

WTF kind of rebuild is this when the #1 cause of all of this gets not only to keep his job, but gets to make scapegoats out of the staff he originally hired, failed miserably with, then gets to replace them? This is an embarrassment, and this "total rebuild" is a delusional fallacy.

5 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

The sunshiners on this site are too much. Are we so desperate for something to grasp on to that we have totally lost sight of what went on here last season and even the season prior? Must I rehash the absolute embarrassment of Buffalo in 2015, Kansas City, Miami or Arizona in 2016? Must I remind them of Indy Monday night falling behind by a million TD's in the first 10 minutes of the game, or kicking a FG at NE behind 41-0? Has the team beaten a winning organization since he got here without help from the refs (NE @ home 2015)? Have we forgotten that the entire team basically quit on this loser after week 4 last season, I mean WTF already? How can any REAL Jet fan root for this dope to improve or even expect he will in the least? He acts like he has won the past 5 SB's and his way of doing things is the only way, which to me is the most aggravating thing about him. Listening to him speak takes years off of my life, I just want to jump through the radio or TV and strangle his ass.

I have no problem going on record stating that I still want him out of here today. Not next January. Now. His moribund personality has infected this organization. His total lack of understanding of offense, ST's, and apparently defense as well shows that he has no business being a HC in the NFL. How many times will we listen next season to his post game loss conference(s) telling us how Josh McCown gives him the best chance to win (at 1-8 or 1-11) while young 2 & 3 year QB's languish on the bench, never getting reps in practice with the real team, this clouding our future at QB even more? We have no future with this guy at all, it is only going to get worse and more frustrating for us fans. I cannot believe I am the only irate fan here that sees this. I do not want to be negative. I want us to win more than anything. I want to write about winning AFC East titles and going to Super Bowls, not about this idiot.

WTF kind of rebuild is this when the #1 cause of all of this gets not only to keep his job, but gets to make scapegoats out of the staff he originally hired, failed miserably with, then gets to replace them? This is an embarrassment, and this "total rebuild" is a delusional fallacy.

Everything you stated, and that's taking into consideration you are a long-time Jets fan who's seen it all over the years and thus has EVOLVED into his disposition, makes me COMPLETLY COMFORTABLE with the current process under this regime and indicates we're heading in the RIGHT direction if a "Jets fan" of your ilk is SOOO vehemently against what is currently going on. Good times ahead . . . good times. :D

39 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Bowles will get at least one more year after this one no matter what happens this year.  He has the rebuilding excuse now so he is not going anywhere

Bowles haters somehow ignore that if Woody and Macc felt it was Bowles who was primarily responsible for 16, as compared to his first season as HC in 15 when the Jets were 10-6, when I guess they say he wasn't responsible for that, but putting 15 aside for the moment...

If they mostly blamed him for last year, he would have been fired already.  but he hasn't been.

So now you sign McCown as the Qb, cut a bunch of vets and replace them with who?, and that is supposed to add up with a competent HC to a winning season?  Forget about that.

Lots of fans here claimed to be alright with a rebuilding year.  I am not so sure a rebuilding year was really necessary, but the point is once you are on board with rebuilding, the HC gets a pass unless the team really falls apart.

I know there was an issue with the locker room last year.  Was that on Bowles?  Hard to say, frankly.  but now they've let go some of those involved whether culpable or not, so Bowles should do better with the locker room.  Sure if he doesn't he might be fired on that basis.

But with this roster, this Qb, expecting a solid team?  As in it would be the HC's fault if the team was not good?

Forget that.  This is a bottom quarter roster right now, especially at Qb.  Who are the weapons on O?  How about that OL?   The secondary?  And how about those slow linebackers?

Add it up and 4-12 will not in itself kill Bowles.  He has to lose the locker room in order to lose his job.

earlier this offseason i thought that if the team tanks both of these guys are gone 

but with Woody going to the UK and his brother taking over, a tank is what's going to happen and it's what Woody wants

it's not a good look for Woody if the Jets suck crap for 10 years and then suddenly get good when Choody takes over. That's the last thing that will happen. 

14 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Bowles haters somehow ignore that if Woody and Macc felt it was Bowles who was primarily responsible for 16, as compared to his first season as HC in 15 when the Jets were 10-6, when I guess they say he wasn't responsible for that, but putting 15 aside for the moment...

If they mostly blamed him for last year, he would have been fired already.  but he hasn't been.

So now you sign McCown as the Qb, cut a bunch of vets and replace them with who?, and that is supposed to add up with a competent HC to a winning season?  Forget about that.

Lots of fans here claimed to be alright with a rebuilding year.  I am not so sure a rebuilding year was really necessary, but the point is once you are on board with rebuilding, the HC gets a pass unless the team really falls apart.

I know there was an issue with the locker room last year.  Was that on Bowles?  Hard to say, frankly.  but now they've let go some of those involved whether culpable or not, so Bowles should do better with the locker room.  Sure if he doesn't he might be fired on that basis.

But with this roster, this Qb, expecting a solid team?  As in it would be the HC's fault if the team was not good?

Forget that.  This is a bottom quarter roster right now, especially at Qb.  Who are the weapons on O?  How about that OL?   The secondary?  And how about those slow linebackers?

Add it up and 4-12 will not in itself kill Bowles.  He has to lose the locker room in order to lose his job.

Bowles was AWFUL last year, one of the worst overall coaching jobs i've seen.  He is getting a 2nd chance this year so he better be one hell of a lot better than he was last year.  He was pure garbage last year.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Bowles was AWFUL last year, one of the worst overall coaching jobs i've seen.  He is getting a 2nd chance this year so he better be one hell of a lot better than he was last year.  He was pure garbage last year.

Your opinion about last year is beside the point.  He has not been fired yet.  Which he would have been if Woody and whoever was inclined to do so based on your view of such performance. The question on an ongoing basis is what would lead to his firing in the future.

11 hours ago, Freemanm said:

I agree but Bowles has to show improvement as a coach. He made so many mistakes over the past two seasons that if he cannot show that he's learned from them, show him the door

I wouldn't have been upset if he was shown the door this year

14 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Your opinion about last year is beside the point.  He has not been fired yet.  Which he would have been if Woody and whoever was inclined to do so based on your view of such performance. The question on an ongoing basis is what would lead to his firing in the future.

If he is remotely like last year going forward he should be fired next year but he has the built in excuse of rebuilding which means he is safe for another year or two.

He literally did nothing well as a head coach or any coach last year.  He's lucky, like Rex he is going to get a few more years to get better.

22 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

I find it so hard to believe this guy has any chance to keep this job past this rebuild year. The team flat out QUIT on this guy last year. Even beyond the regression from a clock management and situational decisions, his players don not respect him. You can clean house and remove the cancers from the lockerroom, but the biggest issue is that Bowles doesn't command the respect of the players one bit. To me that is the most unforgivable display any coach can put out there. There is no coming back from that.

So what's next? If Bowles shows great leadership and has these guys competing every game, is he really going to be brought back? I hope not. I hope the GM and trust fund baby owner know that they were never going to get any quality coaching candidate here this year.  Now if we rebuild, secure the #1 pick and then have a QB that a coach wants to come in and work with...now it's not such a sh*tty job.  So I'm hoping that this is all just a dog and pony show and that the decision on Bowles is already made.

What do you guys think?

SUCK FOR SAM 2017

22 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

I find it so hard to believe this guy has any chance to keep this job past this rebuild year. The team flat out QUIT on this guy last year. Even beyond the regression from a clock management and situational decisions, his players don not respect him. You can clean house and remove the cancers from the lockerroom, but the biggest issue is that Bowles doesn't command the respect of the players one bit. To me that is the most unforgivable display any coach can put out there. There is no coming back from that.

So what's next? If Bowles shows great leadership and has these guys competing every game, is he really going to be brought back? I hope not. I hope the GM and trust fund baby owner know that they were never going to get any quality coaching candidate here this year.  Now if we rebuild, secure the #1 pick and then have a QB that a coach wants to come in and work with...now it's not such a sh*tty job.  So I'm hoping that this is all just a dog and pony show and that the decision on Bowles is already made.

What do you guys think?

i think he clearly has to show that this team can play hard and smart for the full 60 minutes.  he's not going to get judged on wins/losses but how the team wins or loses.  and if they do manage to have a winning record so be it.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

i think he clearly has to show that this team can play hard and smart for the full 60 minutes.  he's not going to get judged on wins/losses but how the team wins or loses.  and if they do manage to have a winning record so be it.

3 hours ago, Larz said:

have you seen the schedule?

14 hours ago, Jets1214 said:

I don't think either guy is on the chopping block per se.  The fact that they are in FULL rebuild now tells me that Woody is not going to be at all concerned with record this year.  he wants to see progress and that means two different things for Mac and Bowles.  That said I think Mac has more leash then Bowles does

For Mac it means 1. seeing how his recent draft picks progress (especially Hackenberg) and 2. the job he does in this draft restocking the team (at least on paper).  Barring an absolute disaster (like Idziks Dirty Dozen fiasco or Hackenberg showing absolutely nothing) I think Woody is on board with allowing Mac to rebuild the team over the next few years.  I DO believe Mac was under some pressure from Woody for the nonsensical "competitive rebuild" when he was initially hired and this will cut him a little more slack with the owner.

Bowles to me is a different story.  In two years he has yet to show that he can beat good teams and his on field coaching has been highly questionable.  Throw in a (at least perceived) lack of discipline on this team (Geno getting punched, SRich and Marshall, Mo, Revis tanking, etc) and the additional perception that this team quit on him last year and I think his seat, while not hot, is warming up.  If they play hard, disciplined, competitive football and the kids keep developing and Bowles improves his in game coaching, I think he can go 0-16 and still save his job.  But if they get wiped out week after week and play the way they did in 2016 with no passion or discipline and Bowles keeps making bonehead decisions on game day...I think he's gone.

Remember, Mac didnt hire Bowles...Woody did. Wood hired Mac too but it was on the recommendation of two seasoned football men he hired to help him find a GM (we know Woody has no mind of his own) and they chose Mac.  If they suck royally again this year, I could easily see Woody handing the reigns to Mac and allowing him one more shot to fix this with his own choice at HC in 2018.

Some sweet kool aid your chugging 

7 hours ago, BRONX DUDE said:

imo the schedule has nothing to do with it.  everyone made a big deal about last season's schedule and when it actually came to playing the games, there were many teams that just didn't do as well as expected.  the bungles were terrible (and they have the red ryder as qb).  the panthers were terrible. teams like the eagles started hot then folded.  the point is it matters more when a team is played than what there previous year's reord was.  with the exception of a few teams, every other team can be beaten, and far more easily than one might think. and the fact that the jets are in the same division as the patsies makes it hard for them to get a cush schedule regardless.

7 hours ago, thadude said:

Some sweet kool aid your chugging 

Really?  How so?  I certainly don't mind being disagreed with with some explanation. But tossing a silly insult out in response to what I felt was an objective assessment of the situation in my opinion is kind of weak.  Exactly which part of my post do you so vehemently disagree with?

2 minutes ago, Jets1214 said:

Really?  How so?  I certainly don't mind being disagreed with with some explanation. But tossing a silly insult out in response to what I felt was an objective assessment of the situation in my opinion is kind of weak.  Exactly which part of my post do you so vehemently disagree with?

Didn't insult you I just said you enjoy Bowles and Mac's kool-aid

Hopefully it's Jim Harbaugh or Bill Cowher's kool aid next February after Bowles and Mac are both fired

13 minutes ago, thadude said:

Didn't insult you I just said you enjoy Bowles and Mac's kool-aid

Hopefully it's Jim Harbaugh or Bill Cowher's kool aid next February after Bowles and Mac are both fired

So you think they are both gone unless the Jets win 7 or 8 games?  See I disagree.  I dont think Woody is going to want to go through the process (yet again) of finding a HC and GM.  Especially if he's in the UK.  I think if the team shows progress he will look for reasons to keep them both regardless of record.  If the team is awful and gets blown out each week then yes, one or both are likely gone.  I just think Mac has a longer leash then Bowles does right now since Woody (and much of the fan base) is clearly on board wiht this purge and he hired Mac on the recommendation of Casserly and Wolf.  Bowles on the other hand was an impulse hire because they thought they might lose hi to ATL.

And if we are talking kool aid here, the idea that Harbaugh is going to leave Michigan to come to this sh*t show is a pipe dream.  MAYBE if we land Darnold he MIGHT consider coming back but if he ever decides he wants to come back to the NFL (and I'm not sure he ever will....he's in a perfect job now), he will have his pick of jobs.  WHY would he come to this circus?  And Cowher?  Please.  Guy has never been a GM before and would want full control to leave his cushy TV job.  As a HC fine...but hes not going to want that.

This isn't 1997.  There is no Tuna or other BIG name coming through the door to save us.  If we fire Mac and/or Bowles, it will be just yet another hire of yet another newby GM or HC and the pattern just repeats again.  That said I think Mac MIGHT be an OK GM...but Bowles to me is simply awful.

19 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

The guy's Big Idea about offense was to subcontract out the entire offense(something that failed with Rex Ryan and Herman Edwards, but I repeat myself for 2 + decades)  to a then out of the NFL  retread who was by design retiring in 2 years. so we got endless pointless runs up the middle on 1st and 2nd followed by  4 yard checkdowns on 3rd and 8.Also, because Lawrence Taylor 30 years ago, Bowles cannot be  hard ass with overpaid  nonhackers. 

Last chance. Until proven otherwise, last year should be considered an anomaly. It truly can't get any worse than it was last year and I think it was broadly due to injuries/poor veteran leadership on the field.

Mac has purged the roster of the overpaid veterans who played at half speed last season and now it's Bowles turn to get the young guys firing. If he fails, and the team has a repeat (effort wise), he's gone. But IMHO, if the team comes out, wins 5-6 games and we see continuous growth throughout the year, he earns at least 1 more season.

5 hours ago, Jets1214 said:

So you think they are both gone unless the Jets win 7 or 8 games?  See I disagree.  I dont think Woody is going to want to go through the process (yet again) of finding a HC and GM.  Especially if he's in the UK.  I think if the team shows progress he will look for reasons to keep them both regardless of record.  If the team is awful and gets blown out each week then yes, one or both are likely gone.  I just think Mac has a longer leash then Bowles does right now since Woody (and much of the fan base) is clearly on board wiht this purge and he hired Mac on the recommendation of Casserly and Wolf.  Bowles on the other hand was an impulse hire because they thought they might lose hi to ATL.

And if we are talking kool aid here, the idea that Harbaugh is going to leave Michigan to come to this sh*t show is a pipe dream.  MAYBE if we land Darnold he MIGHT consider coming back but if he ever decides he wants to come back to the NFL (and I'm not sure he ever will....he's in a perfect job now), he will have his pick of jobs.  WHY would he come to this circus?  And Cowher?  Please.  Guy has never been a GM before and would want full control to leave his cushy TV job.  As a HC fine...but hes not going to want that.

This isn't 1997.  There is no Tuna or other BIG name coming through the door to save us.  If we fire Mac and/or Bowles, it will be just yet another hire of yet another newby GM or HC and the pattern just repeats again.  That said I think Mac MIGHT be an OK GM...but Bowles to me is simply awful.

Mac and Bowles are both unemployed next January you have no idea how wrong you are

On 3/27/2017 at 8:50 PM, Lil Woody said:

What do you guys think?

I think he will be given the benefit of the doubt and unless the team is a flat out disaster this season he will be back for year four. But he isn't helping his own situation when he answers a question about players being late for meetings and he excuses them. No good coach does that. Every good coach I have ever heard of has their own time. There was Lombardi time, Belichick time and Coughlin time. No good NFL HC allows players to be late for meetings. Bowles said "your alarm clock doesn't always go off." These WINNING coaches say, "You better have a backup alarm clock...just in case." I think Bowles is a lame duck that will be lucky enough to show enough improvement to be a thorn in Jets fans sides for two more years.

1 hour ago, thadude said:

Mac and Bowles are both unemployed next January you have no idea how wrong you are

Disagree on Mac. I think he has done a good job considering the owner hamstrung him the last two years with a win now caveat. Bowles simply has no clue.

2 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

I think he will be given the benefit of the doubt and unless the team is a flat out disaster this season he will be back for year four. But he isn't helping his own situation when he answers a question about players being late for meetings and he excuses them. No good coach does that. Every good coach I have ever heard of has their own time. There was Lombardi time, Belichick time and Coughlin time. No good NFL HC allows players to be late for meetings. Bowles said "your alarm clock doesn't always go off." These WINNING coaches say, "You better have a backup alarm clock...just in case." I think Bowles is a lame duck that will be lucky enough to show enough improvement to be a thorn in Jets fans sides for two more years.

Ugh. I know.  Sadly I couldn't agree more. I'm all for giving guys time to develop and learn the job, but they need to earn that extension with progress.  Bowles is regressing and the alarm clock/late thing made my ears hurt the instant he said it. Guy just doesn't have the makeup to be a head coach. I'm sure he's an awesome dude and he'd be great to have some beers and play poker with. But he is showing nothing in terms of progress as a HC. Year 1 was very concerning, but hey rookie coach, you gotta expect bunps in the road. Year 2 was even worse. And I am not talking about W/L record at all. That isn't ever the case with assessing good coaching. If they lose a hard fought game and he put the players in a position to succeed, and we lost. Oh well. That's sports. But it doesn't reflect negatively on coaching.  When we win on a lucky bounce and the whole game was mismanaged from the start and the better team lost....that's a negative for coaching imo.  So I don't look at W/L as the bottom line in that regard. Bad coaches can float for years on good teams. You need to look at all of the decisions along the way - from the decisions on the field, the ones with player usage, player development. Bowles clearly looks out of his depth in all those areas.  If he is "lucky enough" as you say, it's just going to net out with us continuing to kick the same can down the road like we do every year. That would be classic Jets too. It's admirable that our sad sack owner finally sees the merit in building things the right way. But unless he completely removes himself from the equation, we will always lack the long term vision and strategic direction needed to apply a sound methodology to every aspect of the organization. Woody couldn't lead a marching band down a 1 way street. Now he's going to have the chops to turn around a highly dysfunctional, directionless professional sports team to greatness because one GM finally bent his ear?  I sure hope so, but I don't expect any different outcome.  Woody freaking Johnson....How old is the little douche?...how much longer do we have to endure this jackass?

On 3/29/2017 at 2:43 PM, thadude said:

Wow.  Awfully cocksure of yourself huh?  But considering I am fairly sure neither of us has the last name Johnson, I guess we shall see if I have an "idea of how wrong  am" around this time next year.   My guess is Mac stays, Bowles goes.  Curious if you will retract your over the top statement if you turn out to have no idea how wrong you are.  Guess we'll see...

On March 29, 2017 at 3:14 PM, Ex-Rex said:

Disagree on Mac. I think he has done a good job considering the owner hamstrung him the last two years with a win now caveat. Bowles simply has no clue.

He's done great mostly drafting bums, giving Mo Wilk a $100 million to become a fat lazy POS and being the worst Qb talent evaluator since like ever

On March 27, 2017 at 9:28 PM, flgreen said:

I have a feeling both Macc, and Bowles have a Mulligan for 2017 while they rebuild the team, and Woody goes off to London

You think the Jets are going to allow Bowles and his regime to coach the Jets future franchise QB in 2018?  No chance in hell.

11 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

You think the Jets are going to allow Bowles and his regime to coach the Jets future franchise QB in 2018?  No chance in hell.

If Woody felt that way they would have been gone this year.  The actions Macc is taking strongly indicate that the Jets are  in an actual rebuild year.  No GM who's job is on the line is going to bring in a QB like McCown in a must win situation.  IMO, if that were the case Jets would have paid Glennon $ 16+ M, or would be trading for Romo..

We don't have a clue what is going on behind the scenes, all we can do is judge their intentions by their actions..  IMO Macc's actions indicate a GM who has been given a mandate to rebuild the team.  If I'm Woody I would have told Macc to have a promising team in-place in 2018, or update his Resume'  

17 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

It's a process 

Woody is firing both these losers after next season -- might be during the season

6 hours ago, flgreen said:

If Woody felt that way they would have been gone this year.  The actions Macc is taking strongly indicate that the Jets are  in an actual rebuild year.  No GM who's job is on the line is going to bring in a QB like McCown in a must win situation.  IMO, if that were the case Jets would have paid Glennon $ 16+ M, or would be trading for Romo..

We don't have a clue what is going on behind the scenes, all we can do is judge their intentions by their actions..  IMO Macc's actions indicate a GM who has been given a mandate to rebuild the team.  If I'm Woody I would have told Macc to have a promising team in-place in 2018, or update his Resume'  

That's great I'm sure Woody will care about that when we are 2-14 while the Giants are playing the Pats in the Super Bowl again and our seats were going for $5 on stubhub most of the year

Archived