Todd Bowles expects 'heavy competition' for Jets QB job

Gas2No99

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

We have a championship. That's basically all you can ask for in this league. We have more championships than the Browns, Jaguars, Texans, Chargers, Eagles, Vikings, Bills, Bengals, Titans, and Cardinals. That's 10 teams out of 31

How about the Falcons and the Panthers?

2 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

For a team that hasn't had a franchise QB in forever, how can the organization be setting the bar so low for the most important position on the field???  A game manager???  Really??? The coach should be saying " I'm looking for a QB who can elevate everyone around him and lead us down the field when we need it and make plays."  THAT is what every QB in the roster should be pushing themselves to be.  Even though the team might be resigned to the fact that they don't have a QB like that, why not set the bar high???  This organization is lost. 

i'm not quite sure why there's no love for a game manager.  people continue to b**ch  about fitz's ints or geno being an interception machine and so on.game managers are supposed to make smart decisions like not taking sacks or throwing the ball away or not getting chased out of field goal range and so on.  this is exactly what this team needs.  moreover, this is the kind of qb that a defense monded team needs.  now saying and doing are different things.  let's see how things play out.

2 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

For a team that hasn't had a franchise QB in forever, how can the organization be setting the bar so low for the most important position on the field???  A game manager???  Really??? The coach should be saying " I'm looking for a QB who can elevate everyone around him and lead us down the field when we need it and make plays."  THAT is what every QB in the roster should be pushing themselves to be.  Even though the team might be resigned to the fact that they don't have a QB like that, why not set the bar high???  This organization is lost. 

This 100%!!!

How in the world can we be setting the bar lower and lower for the most important position on the field and think that this is a good thing!!!

4 hours ago, ljr said:

Good to hear the HC flat out say "Open Competition"

When your HC can't develop talent and your OC never ran an offense you let the players sort it out. 

5 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This 100%!!!

How in the world can we be setting the bar lower and lower for the most important position on the field and think that this is a good thing!!!

The battle of the backups starring 10-team wonder Doosh McClown.

5 hours ago, jetrider said:

When your HC can't develop talent and your OC never ran an offense you let the players sort it out. 

The battle of the backups starring 10-team wonder Doosh McClown.

Doosh McClown is a "great guy" and "mentor"

Bye Hater

8 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

It's because Bowles plays the game not to lose rather than playing the game to win.  He's got no cajones. 

6 hours ago, pointman said:

Because that is what he did last season. This guy is inept. 

Bowles is like retarded voltron

Take the worst parts of Mangini, Herm and Rex and leave out any positive qualities any of them had and combine into one ultra-crappy HC

13 hours ago, rangerous said:

i'm not quite sure why there's no love for a game manager.  people continue to b**ch  about fitz's ints or geno being an interception machine and so on.game managers are supposed to make smart decisions like not taking sacks or throwing the ball away or not getting chased out of field goal range and so on.  this is exactly what this team needs.  moreover, this is the kind of qb that a defense monded team needs.  now saying and doing are different things.  let's see how things play out.

Couldnt agree more.  You know how is a game manager, Tom Brady.  He excels at the mental part of the game (yes an understatement), takes what the offense gives him, never turns the ball over and hasnt had elite physical skills in years, yet his production has actually increased.

People call guys like Fitz game managers because thats the only term you can use for a QB who doesnt have an elite arm or the ability to run without saying simply that he stinks.

Look at Flacco - no one calls him a game manager because he has a + arm, yet is he actually an elite QB?  He won a SB because in the playoffs and SB that season his TD-Int ratio was 11-0.  He only completed over 60% of his passes in 1 of the 4 playoff games, and only went over 300 yards in 1 of the 4 games.  But yet he didnt hurt his team with turnovers and bad decisions.

We should be so lucky to have a guy who can actually manage the game, because we havent had one of those QBs since Chad Pennington.

I don't get this board. Who out there should we have signed at QB??? People bitch and complain about the position but give no insight on what the team should've done. After a while it's all just white noise.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

All those pissed about the McCown signing should hope he starts week one. He will be injured I am guessing by the 3rd quarter. He is ridiculously injury prone and that is why I feel he was not brought into start. On the other hand with his stellar record 2-22 the past 24 games if I'm not mistaken maybe Mac brought him in to lead us to the promise land of the 1st round pick which if you go by his win/loss record he will more than accomplish. It's pick your poison...Had we brought in a more competent QB you don't get the tanking team so many crave. I am not a fan of that and do hope and expect hack to step up and prove us he was the right pick....Could be wishful thinking but that would be best case scenario.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

All those pissed about the McCown signing should hope he starts week one. He will be injured I am guessing by the 3rd quarter. He is ridiculously injury prone and that is why I feel he was not brought into start. On the other hand with his stellar record 2-22 the past 24 games if I'm not mistaken maybe Mac brought him in to lead us to the promise land of the 1st round pick which if you go by his win/loss record he will more than accomplish. It's pick your poison...Had we brought in a more competent QB you don't get the tanking team so many crave. I am not a fan of that and do hope and expect hack to step up and prove us he was the right pick....Could be wishful thinking but that would be best case scenario.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

I agree. I'm rooting for Hack to progress. Going to be a good competition between him and Petty. Hopefully he lives up to "not hitting the ocean" and hits his receivers.

19 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Essentially, Bowles is looking for a game manager.

"We just have to make sure we have a guy that doesn't turn the ball over and we have a guy that can manage the room, and make sure we help that guy and not put it solely on the quarterback," he said.

The Head Coach says this.  The Head Coach also said they're trying to win as many games as they can.  The Head Coach needs to win as many games as he can to protect his job.  Josh McCown was given guaranteed money.  Josh McCown has familiarity with the offensive coaching staff.  Petty is a god awful turnover machine and Hack couldnt even dress last year but people actually think that one of them is going to win this "open competition".

57 minutes ago, tfine said:

I don't get this board. Who out there should we have signed at QB??? People bitch and complain about the position but give no insight on what the team should've done. After a while it's all just white noise.

You definitely aren't reading the same forum the rest of us are, because everyone here has a professional opinion on what we should have done at QB. 

18 hours ago, ljr said:

Good to hear the HC flat out say "Open Competition"

I disagree.

"Open Competition" for a Coach on the hotseat for his job translates to "play the Veteran Journeyman I can trust".

And it'll be easily justified, because today, right now, McCown likely IS the better QB compared to Hack.  I mean hell, Hack couldn't take a snap last year ffs.

It's hardly unreasonable to think Bowles will feign a competition, then name McCown the starter and Hack the #2. 

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I disagree.

"Open Competition" for a Coach on the hotseat for his job translates to "play the Veteran Journeyman I can trust".

And it'll be easily justified, because today, right now, McCown likely IS the better QB compared to Hack.  I mean hell, Hack couldn't take a snap last year ffs.

It's hardly unreasonable to think Bowles will feign a competition, then name McCown the starter and Hack the #2. 

Then why didn't he just say that?

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I disagree.

Agreed. But the good news is that if Hack looks decent, there will be a TON of pressure on him to start Hack over Mccown. Plus, even if Mccown is given the job, he won't last the whole season on a team that will need Mccown to pass a ton late in the game when teams will know we will be passing. 

32 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I disagree.

Why should he have?? Why is it such a crime to have a guy sit and learn a position? 

The entire Jets staff want's to see Hack be the guy. They're praying he comes to camp and shows them something. Otherwise there wouldn't be any competition to begin with. 

What does "playing the veteran journey man I can trust" do for Bowles? I'm pretty sure he saw how that played out for him last year.  Every chance is gonna be given to Hack.

12 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Why should he have?? Why is it such a crime to have a guy sit and learn a position?

I would answer your question with a question:  

What harm would Hack playing the final game of 2016 have caused?  And if Hack is so weak to been damaged by simply playing in garbage time, what does that say about him and his prospects?

The entire Jets staff want's to see Hack be the guy. They're praying he comes to camp and shows them something. Otherwise there wouldn't be any competition to begin with. 

What does "playing the veteran journey man I can trust" do for Bowles?

If he helps Bowles win 8 or more games in 2017, it might save his job.

Every chance is gonna be given to Hack.

We'll see.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I would answer your question with a question:  

What harm would Hack playing the final game of 2016 have caused?  And if Hack is so weak to been damaged by simply playing in garbage time, what does that say about him and his prospects?

If he helps Bowles win 8 or more games in 2017, it might save his job.

We'll see.

Really? You wanted to see him play in the final game? ONE game? What would be the point of that? If you wanted to see him play the other half of the season when Fitz was done then fine. But one game at the end of the season are you kidding me? He wasn't get any reps in practice, he was running with the scout team most of the time. It wouldn't have been fair to him or the rest of the team to just throw him out there. When has throwing a QB out to pay in garbage time ever benefitted them? Geno got hurt, Petty was getting destroyed. Why risk it? Restart next season when he can get the full amount of reps needed in practice and camp. 

All Bowles has to do to keep his job this season is to not lose the locker room and have them playing hard. If they were judging him on wins and losses i'm pretty sure they wouldn't have gutted the roster and had such a laid back approach in FA. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

The Head Coach says this.  The Head Coach also said they're trying to win as many games as they can.  The Head Coach needs to win as many games as he can to protect his job.  Josh McCown was given guaranteed money.  Josh McCown has familiarity with the offensive coaching staff.  Petty is a god awful turnover machine and Hack couldnt even dress last year but people actually think that one of them is going to win this "open competition".

Well someone has to win it, no?

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I disagree.

It's not that he couldn't take a snap. He was redshirted, as the HC said from the start.

Archived