Todd Bowles expects 'heavy competition' for Jets QB job

Gas2No99

21 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Todd Bowles expects 'heavy competition' for Jets QB job

The highly scrutinized Christian Hackenberg, who didn't play a single snap last season as a rookie, will have a chance to claim the New York Jets' starting quarterback job.

Todd Bowles, speaking to reporters Tuesday morning at the NFL owners meetings, declared it an open competition between holdovers Hackenberg and Bryce Petty and recently signed veteran Josh McCown.

Bowles also mentioned the possibility of selecting a quarterback with the No. 6 overall pick, saying "there is a scenario" where that could occur. - Draft and Trade ala Eli Manning?

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F1030%2Fr146904_1                                                                                                                   Head coach Todd Bowles says he expects "heavy competition" and that "nobody has been promised the starting quarterback job" for the Jets among candidates Christian Hackenberg, Bryce Petty and Josh McCown. Gregory Shamus/Getty Images

Some assumed the 37-year-old McCown, with 14 years of experience, would be given the inside track after signing a one-year, $6 million contract (fully guaranteed) last week.- Cranky pessimistic JN posters. But the organization wants to give Hackenberg, a second-round pick in 2016, a legitimate shot at the job.

"There will be heavy competition for the job," Bowles said. "Nobody has been promised the starting quarterback job. They'll all get a chance to play and we'll make that decision, going forward, when training camp starts as we see production from certain people."

The immediate plan is to have them "alternate reps" through the offseason, Bowles said. The organized team activities (OTA practices) begin May 23 and continue through June 15 with the conclusion of minicamp. At that point, they will re-evaluate.

Petty's status is up in the air, as he's still recovering from labrum surgery on his non-throwing shoulder. Bowles said he's not sure when Petty will be able to resume throwing.

The Jets are rebuilding at quarterback because their most experienced signal callers from last season are gone. Ryan Fitzpatrick is a free agent (he won't be re-signed) and Geno Smith signed a free-agent contract with the New York Giants.

In his first two seasons, Bowles declared a No. 1 quarterback at the start of training camp because he wanted the presumptive starter to get the bulk of the practice time to prepare for the season. He'd like to follow that plan, assuming one player separates from the field.

Essentially, Bowles is looking for a game manager.

"We just have to make sure we have a guy that doesn't turn the ball over and we have a guy that can manage the room, and make sure we help that guy and not put it solely on the quarterback," he said.

The organization is hoping Hackenberg can take a big leap in Year 2. He played poorly last preseason and struggled during in-season practices, although he never got much quality practice time because of a four-man depth chart.

"This year, he'll have a chance to play and he'll have some pep in his step," said Bowles, who promised to be more involved in the offense under new coordinator John Morton.

As the draft approaches, the Jets have been linked to Deshaun Watson and Mitchell Trubisky with the sixth pick.

"We'll see how it falls and we'll look at the pros and cons of it and we'll make that decision, but there is a scenario, yes," ;)he said.

Asked which quarterback he prefers, Bowles said without hesitation, "Roger Staubach."

Did they sign Jared Lorenzen?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Really? You wanted to see him play in the final game? ONE game? What would be the point of that?

Experience?  Pressure-free, in live fire, vs. actual NFL players.  

What was gained sitting him, specifically?

If you wanted to see him play the other half of the season when Fitz was done then fine. But one game at the end of the season are you kidding me? He wasn't get any reps in practice, he was running with the scout team most of the time. It wouldn't have been fair to him or the rest of the team to just throw him out there.

It's not "fair" to make an NFL QB play QB in the NFL.  ffs.  Do you hold his cock when he takes a piss and chew his food for him too?

This coddling attitude is counterproductive.  It's the same coddling, failure-accepting attitude that had people still "unsure" about Geno Smith after 4 years of him.

If Hack was so totally and completely incappable of stepping on an NFL field, he sure as sh*t did not warrant a 2nd round pick.  

All Bowles has to do to keep his job this season is to not lose the locker room and have them playing hard.

Which he failed to do and failed to do in 2017.  

No wonder we're such a pathetic franchise.

I don't want competition - I want Petty or Hack out there playing every game this upcoming season.  I only want to see McCown out there if heaven forbid Petty or Hack have been killed in tragic auto asphyxiation suicide pact or something like that.

1 hour ago, shawn306 said:

If the Jets draft a QB at 6 then everyone should be fired.

Seriously, is any one going to be really surprised if the Jets draft Trubisky or Watson at 6? What's going to be more career threatening for Macc?  Taking a QB at 6 that could be a franchise player and passing on a position player like Adams or Howard, or taking a position player, passing on Trubisky or Watson and seeing them shine?  

5 hours ago, BCJet said:

Couldnt agree more.  You know how is a game manager, Tom Brady.  He excels at the mental part of the game (yes an understatement), takes what the offense gives him, never turns the ball over and hasnt had elite physical skills in years, yet his production has actually increased.

People call guys like Fitz game managers because thats the only term you can use for a QB who doesnt have an elite arm or the ability to run without saying simply that he stinks.

Look at Flacco - no one calls him a game manager because he has a + arm, yet is he actually an elite QB?  He won a SB because in the playoffs and SB that season his TD-Int ratio was 11-0.  He only completed over 60% of his passes in 1 of the 4 playoff games, and only went over 300 yards in 1 of the 4 games.  But yet he didnt hurt his team with turnovers and bad decisions.

We should be so lucky to have a guy who can actually manage the game, because we havent had one of those QBs since Chad Pennington.

there are tons of successful game managers.  alex smith, peyton manning (especially in later years), bob griese, joe theisman, bart starr, mark rypien, jeff hostetler, aikman, to name a few.  they are/were all successful without having outstanding physical talent like a marino or elllway.  those guys won because they did what was asked from the coach.  they didn't have to win games as much as make sure they kept the lead and scored enough points.  these teams were also complete teams in that they were good in every aspect of the game.  the bottom line game managers are good.  gun slingers bad.

2 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Seriously, is any one going to be really surprised if the Jets draft Trubisky or Watson at 6? What's going to be more career threatening for Macc?  Taking a QB at 6 that could be a franchise player and passing on a position player like Adams or Howard, or taking a position player, passing on Trubisky or Watson and seeing them shine?  

It can't be "Could Be" It has to be "Will Be" for the next 10 years. The Jets are great at wasting premium picks that should be the foundation of their franchise on guys like Hackenberg, Geno, Kyle Wilson, etc. This pick has to be a Brick or Mangold type choice where they plug him in and don't have to worry about it for the next ten years.

Who that guy is ? At this point I don't know. But I have my doubts about Watson (Who I do like but not at 6) and Trubisky. I would rather them at least give Hackenberg or Petty a shot this year and if they suck, ok make the play for Darnold. I can live with that.

What I can't deal with is wasting premium picks on QB's and then tossing them aside at the first sign of trouble. That shows me that the Jets have no friggin clue on how to build a franchise.

JMHO 

On 3/28/2017 at 4:30 PM, rangerous said:

i'm not quite sure why there's no love for a game manager.  people continue to b**ch  about fitz's ints or geno being an interception machine and so on.game managers are supposed to make smart decisions like not taking sacks or throwing the ball away or not getting chased out of field goal range and so on.  this is exactly what this team needs.  moreover, this is the kind of qb that a defense monded team needs.  now saying and doing are different things.  let's see how things play out.

Bowles actually never said he wanted a game manager, that is the writers opinion. I heard he wants someone who wont turn the ball over, he expects the QB to be one of the kids and he doesnt want to put too much pressure on him right away so the rest of the team needs to step it up. This is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear.....one of the kids are going to get a chance to be the long term answer. He is giving said kid every chance to show he can win the job legitimately. We purposely hired a back up QB who is old and not good enough to be a long term anything and who was flat out told that he better be balls out better to win the job and was given a 1 year deal. 

With all the btching about us needing to find our what we have with the young guns, the coach finally goes ahead and makes it clear that is EXACTLY what he is doing and people STILL find a way to gripe about it. How about we wait and actually see what the qb does before we make bold proclamations about whats going to happen.

4 hours ago, shawn306 said:

It can't be "Could Be" It has to be "Will Be" for the next 10 years. The Jets are great at wasting premium picks that should be the foundation of their franchise on guys like Hackenberg, Geno, Kyle Wilson, etc. This pick has to be a Brick or Mangold type choice where they plug him in and don't have to worry about it for the next ten years.

Who that guy is ? At this point I don't know. But I have my doubts about Watson (Who I do like but not at 6) and Trubisky. I would rather them at least give Hackenberg or Petty a shot this year and if they suck, ok make the play for Darnold. I can live with that.

What I can't deal with is wasting premium picks on QB's and then tossing them aside at the first sign of trouble. That shows me that the Jets have no friggin clue on how to build a franchise.

JMHO 

if you are already saying the Hackenberg pick is a waste havent you already made up your mind?

Bowles_Interview.png

Last off-season Todd Bowles made the mistake of naming Ryan Fitzpatrick as the starting QB, even though he wasn’t on the roster. Not only did that provide challenges during the contract negotiation, it was also the wrong thing to do. After the season Fitzpatrick had in 2015, it is safe to assume he would have won the job in 2016. The bigger issue is about competition, and the Jets need more of it.

Todd Bowles spoke at the NFL owners meeting and his interview with Eric Allen is embedded below. One key highlight is Bowles says this year Josh McCown, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg will all be part of an open competition.

Hack will get a chance to prove himself this year.

They also discussed what could happen at the # 6 pick and if the Jets could add another QB.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
dUEbCGvlLPI

Click here to read the full story...

I don't get the concern of McCown starting it's just crazy. Did anyone see any Cleveland games last year or hear how many times McCown had to leave games and that was with All Pro Joe Thomas as his left tackle. McCown is the equivalent of fine china. It will show Bowles idiotic nature if he is all in on McCown starting with his injury history. He would be much more valuable as a backup and play cleanup duty if the young guys are struggling instead of going on IR after game 1. You think Kelvin Beachum will fend of edge rushers like Joe Thomas? Lol.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

looking forward to many fg attemtps down 40+ this year

keep up the good work coach

when everybody sees how bad Hack is Mac and Bowles will be looking for jobs at the end of the season

after year 3 (the avg lifespan) of a NFL guy we can say with full confidence how bad our front office and coaching sadly has been once again

20 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

We all know what happened to the last GM who picked his guy in the second round and passed on top prospects in the following year despite the Qb he did pick not showing real promise.  No reason Macc should not be aware of that history, and what it means.

I would not predict the Jets trading up to get say Trubisky who I take it is seen as the better prospect.  But if he's available at 6, why would it make sense to say "Nah, I already have the future in Christian Hackenberg."?

It wouldn't.

So say we pick a qb at 6. But petty is looking best in camp for the " open competition " and hackenberg still looks like he hasn't progressed, fearing the inside staff leakers about him are true. Does Mac has the balls to cut hack? I'm sure that scenario could have been a possibility if mac had not drafted him. Sometimes you have to admit your mistakes and move on 

21 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

That can go either way. And if the QB fails and the position player shines? 

15 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

if you are already saying the Hackenberg pick is a waste havent you already made up your mind?

I think that is what the Jets are telling us if they go QB with the 6th pick.

My personal opinion....I want to see Petty and Hackenberg play the 2017 season. We need to at least find out if either can play at any kind of level. If they show they can't then so be it move on to a what people of saying will be a better QB class in 2018 and go from there. 

Picking so high in the draft this year the Jets need to find a guy that can start from game 1 and play at a high level for the next years. I don't care if it is left tackle. Edge rusher, RB, WR safety CB, there are so many holes to fill on this team that right now they look like an expansion team ......

or the 1995 Jets. 

IF they trade down and acquire more picks even better. Just make sure they make those picks count and start building a foundation so hopefully this team is competitive by 2020.

1 hour ago, shawn306 said:

I think that is what the Jets are telling us if they go QB with the 6th pick.

My personal opinion....I want to see Petty and Hackenberg play the 2017 season. We need to at least find out if either can play at any kind of level. If they show they can't then so be it move on to a what people of saying will be a better QB class in 2018 and go from there. 

Picking so high in the draft this year the Jets need to find a guy that can start from game 1 and play at a high level for the next years. I don't care if it is left tackle. Edge rusher, RB, WR safety CB, there are so many holes to fill on this team that right now they look like an expansion team ......

or the 1995 Jets. 

IF they trade down and acquire more picks even better. Just make sure they make those picks count and start building a foundation so hopefully this team is competitive by 2020.

There's only 1 reason folks want this . They  want to tank, and have their eyes on a QB next year . The QB is the most important position on a football team and it's worth losing your Job to find one . The 2 guys in the Draft are better than any option currently on our roster and if you're not looking to improve the roster, that why even bother .

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

There's only 1 reason folks want this . They  want to tank, and have their eyes on a QB next year . The QB is the most important position on a football team and it's worth losing your Job to find one . The 2 guys in the Draft are better than any option currently on our roster and if you're not looking to improve the roster, that why even bother .

You think Trubisky who started all of one season and couldnt beat out Marquise Williams for 2 years is a better QB and more NFL ready that the 2 guys we already have? Based on what? 1 good year in a shotgun pass happy offense? I dont know that much about him but I keep having flashbacks to the last qb we took in the first round who didnt have much experience and I hated the pick and he is now known for the butt fumble. I know its not fair because they are 2 different people but hey its the truth...and I dont think he has shown enough to say he is better what what we have. Hack had one good season too. 

I have to admit I like watson but his accuracy percentage is sketchy and inconsistent.  

10 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

You think Trubisky who started all of one season and couldnt beat out Marquise Williams for 2 years is a better QB and more NFL ready that the 2 guys we already have? Based on what? 1 good year in a shotgun pass happy offense? I dont know that much about him but I keep having flashbacks to the last qb we took in the first round who didnt have much experience and I hated the pick and he is now known for the butt fumble. I know its not fair because they are 2 different people but hey its the truth...and I dont think he has shown enough to say he is better what what we have. Hack had one good season too. 

I have to admit I like watson but his accuracy percentage is sketchy and inconsistent.  

I hated the Mark Sanchez pick because I didn't think he was very good . I actually wanted to sit and draft Josh Freeman, but that's anther story .  Believe it or not, a player that only started 1 season is considered a higher rated prospect by 100% of talent evaluators than a player that was drafted in the 4th round and a player many feel was a mistake to take in the 2nd . Mark Sanchez played with an all star cast . After Trubisky, who would you say on the North Carolina team will be the next drafted player this year . When I look at a QB, I look at his play and who he played with and against .

I like Watson also, but I hope that kid is never subjected to this fan base .

4 hours ago, Tinstar said:

A better strategy might be to use the #6 pick to strengthen the team in other areas of weakness. If one of the current QB's work out, so much the better. If not, a better QB can be had the following draft, or is more likely than in the upcoming draft. Meanwhile, the team would have already been strengthened this year. This is a variant on the "best player available" strategy.

1 hour ago, Jet Fan RI said:

A better strategy might be to use the #6 pick to strengthen the team in other areas of weakness. If one of the current QB's work out, so much the better. If not, a better QB can be had the following draft, or is more likely than in the upcoming draft. Meanwhile, the team would have already been strengthened this year. This is a variant on the "best player available" strategy.

This is sensible. 

This time of year it's easy to get desperate and try and reach in both FA and the Draft, especially at QB. We need discipline here, we can pick another position of need and get a guy who is much more likely to be a franchise player. I like OJ Howard and IMO it's much more likely he would be a multi year contributor to the Jets than any of the QBs,

But it doesn't matter who I like, point is pick a guy at #6 who is likely a long term guy at any position. If the kids we have at QB don't turn out this year, we can choose QB next year.

Archived