Jump to content

Grade the Pick @6: Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech


Sarge4Tide
 Share

Patrick Mahomes?  

159 members have voted

  1. 1. If the Jets selected Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes with the 6th pick, I would give it a grade of.....

    • A+
      32
    • A
      2
    • A-
      4
    • B+
      4
    • B
      4
    • B-
      3
    • C+
      3
    • C
      8
    • C-
      8
    • D+
      3
    • D
      9
    • D-
      3
    • F+
      3
    • F
      18
    • F-
      55


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

A!

Best QB in the draft, so if people think it's ok to take a guy who only has 13 games starting experience because he checks physical boxes, then why isn't it ok to take Mahomes at 6 who checks every single physical box Trubisky does, but better.  He has played under center some, not much even thou nobody acknowledges this, about 5% of his snaps were under center, and he had a perfect QB rating when it was play action from under center (now 5% doesn't seem like a lot, but when you throw it as many times as he did it's actually more then you think).

Texas Tech implemented some pro concepts this year with Mahomes at times, but nobody talks about this except Klingsbury who nobody wants to acknowledge.

Love how most guys just say this is a horrible pick because the supposed evaluators say he needs to sit, and listen to the same evaluators that say their are equal to more alarming concerns about Trubisky, but it's ok to take him at 6.  I'd argue Mahomes is more prepared to start week 1 then Trubisky by a wide margin for multiple reasons, his creativity, and ability to make plays outside the pocket is how most rookie QB's succeed early in their careers, and designed plays to move the pocket like Wilson, and Prescott, and off read option plays.

Now another reason is Mahomes has a polished professional pedigree, and leadership that nobody in recent years can say they have coming out of college as a QB prospect, growing up inside MLB locker rooms, and a professional environment.

If taking Mahomes is an abomination at 6 in anyone's opinion fine I can respect it, and would probably agree for the most part, but I can't respect it if the same people think it's ok taking Trubisky, Watson, or Kizer at 6, if taking any of those 3 is not an in others opinion abomination then you can't say Mahomes is (don't know your stance on that just making a generalized statement).

I've said it in another thread Mahomes will probably luck out by getting drafted by Arizona, or Houston in the 1st round, and like Prescott last year he will be starting a playoff game as a rookie, and be the toast of the NFL.

Let the slaughter on this opinion commence!

Fair enough. That's one.

For the record, I don't want any of these bums at 6, so you don't have to worry about listening to me scream for Mitchell or DeShaun.  This class as a whole sucks and we are going to suck this year regardless of who we pick.  Save the QB selection for next year when the class is loaded and you have a definitive look on Hack and Petty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Yeah, because only negativity, cynicism,  and prepubescent drama are allowed on this forum. Most of those people who think it would be a good pick are probably reluctant to post in the thread because they don't want to deal with the moronic responses they'd get. 

Right, anything critical is moronic because people would have their fee-fee's hurt, not because of the fact that in almost any other QB class, Mahomes would be a 5th round-UDFA QB and these people want to draft him 6th overall.

 

 

Got it.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I want names of the people who voted for this in the range of (A)--->(C-).  I wanna know who actually believes that picking Mahomes with the 6th overall pick would be anything short of a failed abortion.

I gave it a C- because its the right idea but the wrong player.  Replace with Watson and it's an A+.  The C grade is because at least they're trying.  Nothing else matters in this stupid ******* league, so do whatever it takes to find a franchise QB already.  Take one every round if necessary. If he sucks, oh well, nothing new to see in Jets land.  Take one of the QB's next year and keep doing it until you hit because until you do, every single season is a complete and utter waste.

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JiF said:

I gave it a C- because its the right idea but the wrong player.  Replace with Watson and it's an A+.  The C grade is because at least they're trying.  Nothing else matters in this stupid ******* league, so do whatever it takes to find a franchise QB already.  Take one every round if necessary. If he sucks, oh well, nothing new to see in Jets land.  Take one of the QB's next year and keep doing it until you hit because until you do, every single season is a complete and utter waste.

 

 

 

 

This is fine and something I can agree with.  I guess I would just grade it far lower because of the player.  If I have to suck it up and we draft a QB, then I guess yeah, give me Watson or Trubisky.  I won't be a fan because you can kiss any of the guys next year goodbye, but at least those two are 1st round talents (I keep flipping with Watson).

I cannot accept Mahomes.  I have been far less critical on Macc than many (most) here.  I'd want him fired before the second round starts if he made this pick.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

This is fine. This is can agree with.  I guess I would just grade it far lower because of the player.  If I have to suck it up and we draft a QB, then I guess yeah, give me Watson or Trubisky.  I won't be a fan because you can kiss any of the guys next year goodbye, but at least those two are 1st round talents (I keep flipping with Watson).

I dont see why it kisses anything goodbye next year.  Maybe I'm being naive because it is probably a lot to ask to keep taking QB's high but seriously...nothing else matters, so who cares?  You're nothing until you find a QB.  Even if the Jets do find the best player at their respective positoin at #6, how much difference will it make? Reality is, very little.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

I dont see why it kisses anything goodbye next year.  Maybe I'm being naive because it is probably a lot to ask to keep taking QB's high but seriously...nothing else matters, so who cares?  You're nothing until you find a QB.  Even if the Jets do find the best player at their respective positoin at #6, how much difference will it make? Reality is, very little.  

If it were me, you, mostly anyone at this point, yeah we'd pick a prospect with our 1st every single year until we find one.  Truth is though that the chances of any team doing that are slim to none.  I agree, nothing else matters.  However, a QB at 6th overall isn't gonna be dumped after 1 season if the returns are so-so.  There will likely be a commitment to him for at least 2-3 seasons.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Fair enough. That's one.

For the record, I don't want any of these bums at 6, so you don't have to worry about listening to me scream for Mitchell or DeShaun.  This class as a whole sucks and we are going to suck this year regardless of who we pick.  Save the QB selection for next year when the class is loaded and you have a definitive look on Hack and Petty.

I can 100% respect that, and would never argue against this point.  I'd love Mahomes, but I don't think I'd take him at 6 either, I'd trade back for anything to 11, or 12 if I wanted Mahomes, if I stayed at 6 I'd take the blue chip DB highest rated on my board.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If it were me, you, mostly anyone at this point, yeah we'd pick a prospect with our 1st every single year until we find one.  Truth is though that the chances of any team doing that are slim to none.  I agree, nothing else matters.  However, a QB at 6th overall isn't gonna be dumped after 1 season if the returns are so-so.  There will likely be a commitment to him for at least 2-3 seasons.  

I guess I'm thinking more like: say they take Watson. He's a typical rookie and has an up and down season, shows some flashes but doesnt give you that huge vote of confidence he's the guy for the future.  He could be, but it's still very much up in the air.  Consequently, the Jets still suck and are in position to take Darnold next year.  After an offseason of vetting out Darnold, they feel he's a better player coming out than Watson.  Take him, let them compete and use the loser as trade bait.  I feel like having 2 good QB's is a good thing for a team who hasnt had a franchise QB since Joe Namath.

I know missing out on the next great CB or DE might sting while they're figuring out the QB position but in the end, the returns will be 10000x more important to the team to have finally found their QB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, JiF said:

I guess I'm thinking more like: say they take Watson. He's a typical rookie and has an up and down season, shows some flashes but doesnt give you that huge vote of confidence he's the guy for the future.  He could be, but it's still very much up in the air.  Consequently, the Jets still suck and are in position to take Darnold next year.  After an offseason of vetting out Darnold, they feel he's a better player coming out than Watson.  Take him, let them compete and use the loser as trade bait.  I feel like having 2 good QB's is a good thing for a team who hasnt had a franchise QB since Joe Namath.

I know missing out on the next great CB or DE might sting while they're figuring out the QB position but in the end, the returns will be 10000x more important to the team to have finally found their QB.

Well said.  I want to make it perfectly clear.  I agree.  If you feel strongly on a guy one year but feel even stronger about someone else the next year and the guy you took a year ago hasn't proven himself, bite the bullet.  There is zero downside to doing something like that when you don't have an established guy in place.  I wish more people in the league thought like this.  The reality is they just don't.  The Browns kept Manziel (and Weeden) more than 1 year, the Jags rolled with Gabbert, Bills/Manuel etc.  I just don't see the Jets bucking the trend.  Taking a guy 6th overall means we probably give him 2-3 years to develop and if he doesn't, Macc is gone.  That's the big question.  Does Maccagnan view any of these guys as quarterbacks he can risk his job on?  Personally, I wouldn't.  Who knows?  He's paid to make that call on draft day and he better get it right.  I don't think the seat for Maccagnan is as hot as Bowles's, but if he f*cks this up it could get there.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

A!

Best QB in the draft, so if people think it's ok to take a guy who only has 13 games starting experience because he checks physical boxes, then why isn't it ok to take Mahomes at 6 who checks every single physical box Trubisky does, but better.  He has played under center some, not much even thou nobody acknowledges this, about 5% of his snaps were under center, and he had a perfect QB rating when it was play action from under center (now 5% doesn't seem like a lot, but when you throw it as many times as he did it's actually more then you think).

Texas Tech implemented some pro concepts this year with Mahomes at times, but nobody talks about this except Klingsbury who nobody wants to acknowledge.

Love how most guys just say this is a horrible pick because the supposed evaluators say he needs to sit, and listen to the same evaluators that say their are equal to more alarming concerns about Trubisky, but it's ok to take him at 6.  I'd argue Mahomes is more prepared to start week 1 then Trubisky by a wide margin for multiple reasons, his creativity, and ability to make plays outside the pocket is how most rookie QB's succeed early in their careers, and designed plays to move the pocket like Wilson, and Prescott, and off read option plays.

Now another reason is Mahomes has a polished professional pedigree, and leadership that nobody in recent years can say they have coming out of college as a QB prospect, growing up inside MLB locker rooms, and a professional environment.

If taking Mahomes is an abomination at 6 in anyone's opinion fine I can respect it, and would probably agree for the most part, but I can't respect it if the same people think it's ok taking Trubisky, Watson, or Kizer at 6, if taking any of those 3 is not an in others opinion abomination then you can't say Mahomes is (don't know your stance on that just making a generalized statement).

I've said it in another thread Mahomes will probably luck out by getting drafted by Arizona, or Houston in the 1st round, and like Prescott last year he will be starting a playoff game as a rookie, and be the toast of the NFL.

Let the slaughter on this opinion commence!

I agree with this.  I know absolutely zero about picking QBs from college but if Mac went all in on finding us a QB I'd at least applaud the pick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Is picking a QB at Pick 6 a bad omen ?

 
History hasn't been kind to that pick at any position.  Richard Seymour, Julio Jones, and Leo come to mind right away, but the overall list of guys taken there isn't exactly great when you look at it.
 
Here's a list of players selected @ 6 from 1980-2013:
 
 
Years following:
 
2014: Jake Matthews (ATL)
 
2015: Leonard Williams (NYJ)
 
2016: Ronnie Stanley (BAL)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:
 
History hasn't been kind to that pick at any position.  Richard Seymour, Julio Jones, and Leo come to mind right away, but the overall list of guys taken there isn't exactly great when you look at it.
 
Here's a list of players selected @ 6 from 1980-2013:
 
 
Years following:
 
2014: Jake Matthews (ATL)
 
2015: Leonard Williams (NYJ)
 
2016: Ronnie Stanley (BAL)

Pick 6 as in a QB throwing a pick 6

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Well said.  I want to make it perfectly clear.  I agree.  If you feel strongly on a guy one year but feel even stronger about someone else the next year and the guy you took a year ago hasn't proven himself, bite the bullet.  There is zero downside to doing something like that when you don't have an established guy in place.  I wish more people in the league thought like this.  The reality is they just don't.  The Browns kept Manziel (and Weeden) more than 1 year, the Jags rolled with Gabbert, Bills/Manuel etc.  I just don't see the Jets bucking the trend.  Taking a guy 6th overall means we probably give him 2-3 years to develop and if he doesn't, Macc is gone.  That's the big question.  Does Maccagnan view any of these guys as quarterbacks he can risk his job on?  Personally, I wouldn't.  Who knows?  He's paid to make that call on draft day and he better get it right.  I don't think the seat for Maccagnan is as hot as Bowles's, but if he f*cks this up it could get there.

For the record, I dont think the Jets draft a QB at #6 and quite possibly at all this year.  I'm just sharing what I would do if I were a GM for a team who hasnt had a franchise Qb in the last 50 years.  And while I know it's not the popular move but this league is really stupid for the most part.  It's a true copy cat league and you're right, I doubt the Jets buck the trend.  And if I were a owner, I'd probably be totally fine with giving this strategy sometime because once again, nothing else matters and what better way to keep butts in seats than have a franchise QB? 

My position is, In this day in age, why not?  You're not paying 50 mill guaranteed to the 1st overall anymore, so why not take a QB till you find one?  I get passing on talent that helps build your roster as your solely focused on finding a QB but if you're a good GM, you can hit in the later rounds or in FA and hopefully your overall talent level wont suffer too much as you find the only position that matters.

I'm just so sick of not having an answer here at the most important position in sports, someone needs to do something different.  I mean the teams that are always searching, go by the book method and looks how it's working....its not.  Buck the ******* trend.  Do something different because what we're doing now, isnt working. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, JiF said:

I gave it a C- because its the right idea but the wrong player.  Replace with Watson and it's an A+.  The C grade is because at least they're trying.  Nothing else matters in this stupid ******* league, so do whatever it takes to find a franchise QB already.  Take one every round if necessary. If he sucks, oh well, nothing new to see in Jets land.  Take one of the QB's next year and keep doing it until you hit because until you do, every single season is a complete and utter waste.

 

 

 

 

Pure idiocy. No offense.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Lupz prepare your mop and bucket to clean up the love juice you're about to secrete...

 

"I can also tell you the New York Jets have strong interest in Mahomes but I was asked not to go any further." 

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-march-31

I'm assuming/hoping this would be a trade back/2nd round pick. Not @ 6

Well the the Jets don't have the pulse on where Mahomes is ranked in this draft, if they have strong interest in him they have to take him in RD 1 wherever they may pick, and probably before pick #13.

I'm also seething as it looks like McAdoo is in love with Mahomes, if he some how ends up on the Giants I will lose my sh*t.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Well the the Jets don't have the pulse on where Mahomes is ranked in this draft, if they have strong interest in him they have to take him in RD 1 wherever they may pick, and probably before pick #13.

I'm also seething as it looks like McAdoo is in love with Mahomes, if he some how ends up on the Giants I will lose my sh*t.

Giants are in win now mode plus they just signed Geno to backup Eli

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Well the the Jets don't have the pulse on where Mahomes is ranked in this draft, if they have strong interest in him they have to take him in RD 1 wherever they may pick, and probably before pick #13.

I'm also seething as it looks like McAdoo is in love with Mahomes, if he some how ends up on the Giants I will lose my sh*t.

It would take some serious big mac balls to draft him in round 1. This kid must be really impressing for him to jump up into the conversation of a high 1st consideration. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...