Grade the Pick @6: Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech

Patrick Mahomes?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. If the Jets selected Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes with the 6th pick, I would give it a grade of.....

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D+
    • D
    • D-
    • F+
    • F
    • F-

28 NFL Teams at Tech today for the Techs Pro Day. The ENTIRE New York Giants Executive Staff, Head coach, OC, QB Coach in attendance. Same for the 49ers and Cardinals. It's all scuttlebutt at this point however Houston Texas are very high on Mahomes with the 23rd pick (I believe) and from what they are hearing he will be gone already. Keep your eyes on Cleveland at #12 or the Cardinals at #13.

49 minutes ago, RJIII said:

28 NFL Teams at Tech today for the Techs Pro Day. The ENTIRE New York Giants Executive Staff, Head coach, OC, QB Coach in attendance. Same for the 49ers and Cardinals. It's all scuttlebutt at this point however Houston Texas are very high on Mahomes with the 23rd pick (I believe) and from what they are hearing he will be gone already. Keep your eyes on Cleveland at #12 or the Cardinals at #13.

Anyone, but the VaGiants.

I like him, but no way at 6.

"He's got a great arm, big balls and he's mobile. He is going to drive his head coach crazy for the first couple of years and there is no getting around that. If it clicks for him and he's coachable, I think he could become a special quarterback." - NFC executive

NFL COMPARISON

Jay Cutler

BOTTOM LINE

Mahomes is a big, confident quarterback who brings a variety of physical tools to the party, but he's developed some bad habits and doesn't have a very repeatable process as a passer. Mahomes' ability to improvise and extend plays can lead to big plays for his offense, but he will have to prove he can operate with better anticipation and be willing to take what the defense gives him in order to win from the pocket. Mahomes will be a work in progress, but he's a high ceiling, low floor prospect.

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I like him, but no way at 6.

"He's got a great arm, big balls and he's mobile. He is going to drive his head coach crazy for the first couple of years and there is no getting around that. If it clicks for him and he's coachable, I think he could become a special quarterback." - NFC executive

NFL COMPARISON

Jay Cutler

BOTTOM LINE

Mahomes is a big, confident quarterback who brings a variety of physical tools to the party, but he's developed some bad habits and doesn't have a very repeatable process as a passer. Mahomes' ability to improvise and extend plays can lead to big plays for his offense, but he will have to prove he can operate with better anticipation and be willing to take what the defense gives him in order to win from the pocket. Mahomes will be a work in progress, but he's a high ceiling, low floor prospect.

Jay Cutler is a terrible comparison mentally.  Cutler is a ******* douche nozzle, Mahomes is a great kid.  Physically yeah I can see that, but upstairs, heart, and IT factor Mahomes has, Cutler obviously doesn't.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Jay Cutler is a terrible comparison mentally.  Cutler is a ******* douche nozzle, Mahomes is a great kid.  Physically yeah I can see that, but upstairs, heart, and IT factor Mahomes has, Cutler obviously doesn't.

I think they mean, size, build, arm strength.  Just the physical angle, youre right, no way they mean mentally

19 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Well the the Jets don't have the pulse on where Mahomes is ranked in this draft, if they have strong interest in him they have to take him in RD 1 wherever they may pick, and probably before pick #13.

I'm also seething as it looks like McAdoo is in love with Mahomes, if he some how ends up on the Giants I will lose my sh*t.

Mahomes' upside scares me for him to go to any of our rivals. But his bust potential scares me for us to draft him too high. Hes a tough decision, but his arm/accuracy/toughness/athelticism is ridiculously rare.

I read he was throwing 50 yard passes from both knees in practice?! Insane.

22 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Mahomes' upside scares me for him to go to any of our rivals. But his bust potential scares me for us to draft him too high. Hes a tough decision, but his arm/accuracy/toughness/athelticism is ridiculously rare.

I read he was throwing 50 yard passes from both knees in practice?! Insane.

Jamarcus Russell could throw 70+ from his knees 

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/6-of-the-biggest-nfl-draft-busts.html/?a=viewall

Al Davis, the late owner of the Oakland Raiders, was known for drafting some of the worst busts in recent history. Quarterback JaMarcus Russell could be the biggest. Between his unbelievable Sugar Bowl performance with the LSU Tigers and his ability to throw a football 70 yards from his knees, Russell had Davis convinced that he found his franchise QB. Boy, was he wrong.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/30/mayock-jamarcus-russells-pro-day-a-cautionary-tale/

“Let me give you an example of the other side of it,” Mayock said this morning on The Dan Patrick Show. “The best Pro Day I ever saw as a quarterback was JaMarcus Russell. . . . I’ve never seen a quarterback throw the football like that in my life, but I still couldn’t take him in the first round — the guy doesn’t care about football. He doesn’t have the passion for the game, doesn’t have the work ethic, I don’t want him. But by the way, it was a pretty impressive Pro Day.”

• Thumb Down 1

d0Cq39ju_normal.jpg Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL)
Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes worked out for Jets on Sunday chron.com/sports/texans/… via @HoustonChron

Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes worked out for the New York Jets on Sunday morning, according to a league source not authorized to speak publicly.

Mahomes worked out along with tight end Tyler Scalzi, who ran a 4.69 in the 40-yard dash and bench pressed 225 pounds 37 times at the Red Raiders' Pro Day workout.

Mahomes worked out for 28 NFL teams on Friday.

That included the Texans sending an area scout as well as assistant coach and former Texas Tech star and NFL wide receiver Wes Welker.

Mahomes has recently worked out for Cincinnati Bengals quarterbacks coach Bill Lazor along with the Los Angeles Chargers, Arizona Cardinals, including coach Bruce Arians and team president Michael Bidwill, New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton and the Cleveland Browns.

Mahomes passed for 5,052 yards last season for the Red Raiders along with 41 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He completed 65.7 percent of his throws.

Over the past three years, Mahomes rushed for 22 touchdowns while running a spread offense.
Mahomes is the son of former major league pitcher Pat Mahomes and is known for his improvisational skills. Mahomes' father pitched for the Minnesota Twins, Boston Red Sox and New York Jets.

"He is a big-time developmental prospect, and I mean big time in both the positive and negative," ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay said during a conference call. "I think his upside may be as great as any quarterback in this class, but his learning curve could be as great as any quarterback in this class because he comes from a system that has not translated well to the NFL.

"Mahomes throws the best deep ball, is the most accurate deep passer in this class and made some throws from launch points that I honestly can never remember seeing, like almost submarine throws and sidearms and body 100 mph falling off balance to the right throwing back to the left. Bad decisions, but great throws. So, his tape was a roller-coaster ride."

• Upvote 1

Ask yourselves, what have any of the many named QB in this years draft won, except one.

If we are drafting a QB, for God

sake, draft one who actually is a genuine winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

53 people (43.8% of the vote) in this poll voted "F-" for taking Mahomes 6th overall.  Maybe we're not such great armchair GMs after all. lol

image.png

And yet everyone cries about passing on him now. You all basically said you’d commit suicide if we drafted him and now look. 

Stick to your guns. No one seen this coming. He was a risky ass pick.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

53 people (43.8% of the vote) in this poll voted "F-" for taking Mahomes 6th overall.  Maybe we're not such great armchair GMs after all. lol

I don't think we needed an old poll to figure that out.

I don't watch a lot of college ball and didn't vote in this poll. QBase had him as the top guy so I would've been ok with the pick but not thrilled as he wasn't predicated to be a slam dunk

Macagnan gets paid to pick the best players we just speculate. Andy Reid saw how great he was why didn't Mac? I will tell you he goes for the outside popular opinion. He seems to follow the draft gurus on ESPN or maybe his "scouts" do. Always takes the chalk pick. Jamal Adams and Leonard Williams were the guys espn were hyping while castigating that QB class.

• Upvote 2

On 3/31/2017 at 9:20 AM, JiF said:

For the record, I dont think the Jets draft a QB at #6 and quite possibly at all this year.  I'm just sharing what I would do if I were a GM for a team who hasnt had a franchise Qb in the last 50 years.  And while I know it's not the popular move but this league is really stupid for the most part.  It's a true copy cat league and you're right, I doubt the Jets buck the trend.  And if I were a owner, I'd probably be totally fine with giving this strategy sometime because once again, nothing else matters and what better way to keep butts in seats than have a franchise QB? 

My position is, In this day in age, why not?  You're not paying 50 mill guaranteed to the 1st overall anymore, so why not take a QB till you find one?  I get passing on talent that helps build your roster as your solely focused on finding a QB but if you're a good GM, you can hit in the later rounds or in FA and hopefully your overall talent level wont suffer too much as you find the only position that matters.

I'm just so sick of not having an answer here at the most important position in sports, someone needs to do something different.  I mean the teams that are always searching, go by the book method and looks how it's working....its not.  Buck the ******* trend.  Do something different because what we're doing now, isnt working. 

@Matt39 too funny, only difference is I like Sam

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

And yet everyone cries about passing on him now. You all basically said you’d commit suicide if we drafted him and now look. 

Stick to your guns. No one seen this coming. He was a risky ass pick.

If you did the poll now 80% would say they wanted him back then. Pathetic.

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

@Matt39 too funny, only difference is I like Sam

Ditto. But how often do you pick in the top 5? The Jets would never have the balls to do it, but if you have a QB you like on the board it’s a no brainer imo. For as good as a prospect Darnold was, he wasn’t an Andrew Luck level type of talent. 

what football acumen!!!  Hilarious.

then again he wouldnt be doing what he is doing herfe cos we have like a combination of 2 playmakers betwen our whole set of WRs and TE.

when i think..  these guys dont know wtf they are talking about...      this thread sofrta kinda makes me think..   they dont

On 3/30/2017 at 1:10 PM, Mogglez said:

Fair enough. That's one.

For the record, I don't want any of these bums at 6, so you don't have to worry about listening to me scream for Mitchell or DeShaun.  This class as a whole sucks and we are going to suck this year regardless of who we pick.  Save the QB selection for next year when the class is loaded and you have a definitive look on Hack and Petty.

Lol 25-8 combined record this year (I thought Trubisky sucked balls also).

• Haha 2