Tinstar's offensive approach to this April's draft

Tinstar

Quite honestly, I would like to trade down with the Saints at 11 and then try and trade down again from 11 to about  pick 15 . But for the purposes of this draft, I will stay where I am . 

1st -  Mitch Trubisky  - QB

2nd  - Budda Baker -  FS

3rd - D'Onta Foreman - RB

3rd - Kendall Beckwith - ILB

5th - George Kittle - TE

6th - Julie'n Davenport - LT

7th -  Evan Schwan - LB

28 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Quite honestly, I would like to trade down with the Saints at 11 and then try and trade down again from 11 to about  pick 15 . But for the purposes of this draft, I will stay where I am . 

2nd  - Budda Baker -  FS

3rd - D'Onta Hightower - RB

5th - George Kittle - TE

7th -  Evan Schwan - LB

Get rid of Mitch sorry Mitchell (what a douche), and change Hightower to Foreman ?, and I'd be on board.

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Get rid of Mitch sorry Mitchell (what a douche), and change Hightower to Foreman ?, and I'd be on board.

My bad, that was supposed to be Foreman . I get that you want The Texas Tech Kid, but i don't . Maybe the Jets will do you a favor a take him .

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

My bad, that was supposed to be Foreman . I get that you want The Texas Tech Kid, but i don't . Maybe the Jets will do you a favor a take him .

In that scenario I wouldn't take a QB at 6, it's not swapping Trubs for Mahomes (thou I'd be happy), I'd grab one of the top  non QB impact players in a non trade down scenario at 6.

In a trade down to 11, or 12 thou I'd jump on Mahomes in a minute.

11 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

In that scenario I wouldn't take a QB at 6, it's not swapping Trubs for Mahomes (thou I'd be happy), I'd grab one of the top  non QB impact players in a non trade down scenario at 6.

In a trade down to 11, or 12 thou I'd jump on Mahomes in a minute.

Such as, so I can explain why I prefer my choice .

I think the Jets have already given lots of clues that they will not draft a QB in 1st 2 rounds of this draft

If they intended to draft one I think they would have been more aggressive in FA to protect such investment as they cant red shirt a top 6 pick at QB

The OL is bad, they have no TEs worth mention (they knew ASJ would be suspended), last year 1 and 2 WR are injured or gone, Forte is not the answer at RB, and they have whole new offensive staff. 

I think the Jets are content with using this draft to get better at every position but QB and see what they have in Petty and Hack...hence McCown.

Next year with possibly 80million in FA spending they will make a run with either Petty, Hack, or a 1st round draft pick QB (or FA QB).

I think 2017 is about building a foundation for 2018 and beyond.

Hopefully Petty or Hack surprise and they can speed up the process which makes it win\win

16 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

I think the Jets have already given lots of clues that they will not draft a QB in 1st 2 rounds of this draft

If they intended to draft one I think they would have been more aggressive in FA to protect such investment as they cant red shirt a top 6 pick at QB

The OL is bad, they have no TEs worth mention (they knew ASJ would be suspended), last year 1 and 2 WR are injured or gone, Forte is not the answer at RB, and they have whole new offensive staff. 

I think the Jets are content with using this draft to get better at every position but QB and see what they have in Petty and Hack...hence McCown.

Next year with possibly 80million in FA spending they will make a run with either Petty, Hack, or a 1st round draft pick QB (or FA QB).

I think 2017 is about building a foundation for 2018 and beyond.

Hopefully Petty or Hack surprise and they can speed up the process which makes it win\win

Obviously the goal is always to get to a Super Bowl but based on history it's damn near impossible without a QB. The Ravens have been the only exception with a mediocre Dilfer but a once in a lifetime defense. Macc knows he needs to find that QB or he'll be looking for another job.

You don't need all pros at every position. When I look at who might be available @ 6 if we can't trade back, I'm thinking BPA will be either Adams or OJ Howard. 2 positions that have been terrible for us for to long.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Obviously the goal is always to get to a Super Bowl but based on history it's damn near impossible without a QB. The Ravens have been the only exception with a mediocre Dilfer but a once in a lifetime defense. Macc knows he needs to find that QB or he'll be looking for another job.

You don't need all pros at every position. When I look at who might be available @ 6 if we can't trade back, I'm thinking BPA will be either Adams or OJ Howard. 2 positions that have been terrible for us for to long.

There are also many, many, many cases of teams that do have good QB that do not make it to super bowl.

could be no run game, bad defense, strength of schedule, or just the luck of the bouncing ball

I thing to win in this game you must have 2 things

1.  Draft - you need to pick good and to do so you need good scouts and good GM (Tanny proved FA can take you only so far...Idziot proved what damage you can do)

2. Coaching - you need player development and coaches that will teach

I think we have number 1 covered as best we can right now and this off season hopefully they have at least improved in number 2.

23 hours ago, Tinstar said:

2nd  - Budda Baker -  FS

3rd - D'Onta Foreman - RB

5th - George Kittle - TE

7th -  Evan Schwan - LB

This would be a hard pill to swallow if you ask me. Two of our 3 biggest needs are not being addressed until the 5th round. Granted, I would LOVE to draft George Kittle in the 5th (I got us drafting him in the 3rd) though it would be a crime if he fell that far. Also, we need alot of offensive line help and we dont get any until the 6th round. This is an offensive line that every QB that started a game last year got injured behind. Every one. The last thing imo I'd want to do is to draft Mitch Trubisky and put him behind that line. 

Foreman could be a good RB, but I'd like Samaje Perine better. Foreman had 1 great season at Tennessee while Perine had a steady, consistent college career on a per touch basis at Oklahoma, with his total touches only going down given that Oklahoma was implimenting Joe Mixon in the offense more and more. With that said though, Perine still broke over 1000 yards per season even with Mixon in the "mix" the last 2 seasons. 

The only reason why I took Christian McCaffery over Perine is that McCaffery is much more versatile, but I think Perine is the more effective RB. And given that both Foreman and Perine werent huge in the passing game, when I look at both guys strictly as a runner, I have to give the nod to Perine just based on consistency over an entire college career, not just a 1 year standout. 

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

This would be a hard pill to swallow if you ask me. Two of our 3 biggest needs are not being addressed until the 5th round. Granted, I would LOVE to draft George Kittle in the 5th (I got us drafting him in the 3rd) though it would be a crime if he fell that far. Also, we need alot of offensive line help and we dont get any until the 6th round. This is an offensive line that every QB that started a game last year got injured behind. Every one. The last thing imo I'd want to do is to draft Mitch Trubisky and put him behind that line. 

Foreman could be a good RB, but I'd like Samaje Perine better. Foreman had 1 great season at Tennessee while Perine had a steady, consistent college career on a per touch basis at Oklahoma, with his total touches only going down given that Oklahoma was implimenting Joe Mixon in the offense more and more. With that said though, Perine still broke over 1000 yards per season even with Mixon in the "mix" the last 2 seasons. 

The only reason why I took Christian McCaffery over Perine is that McCaffery is much more versatile, but I think Perine is the more effective RB. And given that both Foreman and Perine werent huge in the passing game, when I look at both guys strictly as a runner, I have to give the nod to Perine just based on consistency over an entire college career, not just a 1 year standout. 

That draft was made from an offensive prospective even thou the value in this draft is heavy on the defensive side of the ball . I realize the Jets could use a blocking TE, and that kid give them that with the ability to catch the Ball also. My other option was Josiah Price in the 6th round .

I chose that kid for the OT position because of his length, and also because he will need time to develop while getting stronger . The contract the Jets gave Beachum is pretty much a 2 year contract which should give him time to get acclimated .

The way I figure, the Jets could possibly have a strong starting duo at Tackle with  Davenport and Shell, a potential starting RB with Foreman and hopefully some promising receivers from the cluster on the roster for either Hackenberg, Trubisky or whoever we take next year if we need too .

IMO, What this draft proves is that the Jets are right in considering every option to trade down . 

lost me at Trubisky but damn I love me some D'Onta Foreman and Budda Baker

D'Onta 4.45 40 at UT proday this week, at 235 lbs! 

Budda slight concerns that he would be a C Pryor type. started every game since a freshman tho and won state championships and track titles in HS. could be a stud as a centerfield safety 

23 minutes ago, 19andOhWait said:

lost me at Trubisky but damn I love me some D'Onta Foreman and Budda Baker

D'Onta 4.45 40 at UT proday this week, at 235 lbs! 

Budda slight concerns that he would be a C Pryor type. started every game since a freshman tho and won state championships and track titles in HS. could be a stud as a centerfield safety 

Budda baker can run, something Pryor never had the ability to do .

Not a big proponent of QB this year, but if they believe Trubisky to be the guy. Go for it.

Baker and Foreman would be incredible. Foreman is the best RB in this draft. And if his medical checks out, i think hes long gone before 3rd round. 

That draft was made from an offensive prospective even thou the value in this draft is heavy on the defensive side of the ball . I realize the Jets could use a blocking TE, and that kid give them that with the ability to catch the Ball also. My other option was Josiah Price in the 6th round .
I chose that kid for the OT position because of his length, and also because he will need time to develop while getting stronger . The contract the Jets gave Beachum is pretty much a 2 year contract which should give him time to get acclimated .
The way I figure, the Jets could possibly have a strong starting duo at Tackle with  Davenport and Shell, a potential starting RB with Foreman and hopefully some promising receivers from the cluster on the roster for either Hackenberg, Trubisky or whoever we take next year if we need too .
IMO, What this draft proves is that the Jets are right in considering every option to trade down . 

If we want to build a solid foundation, we have to draft with the strength of this class. Defense, defense, defense.

....but maybe OJ in the first :)

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Offensive draft:

1st Round - WR Mike Williams
2nd Round - OT Taylor Moton 
3rd Round - TE George Kittle
3rd Round - CB Ahkello Witherspoon
5th Round - S Rayshawn Jenkins 
6th Round - FB Sam Rogers
7th Round - RB Deangelo Henderson 

Archived