• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, KRL said:

Interesting Mahomes comment from Tony Pauline who has been very good with
Jet insights over the years.  Back in 2015 he said the Jets would sign James
Carpenter before free agency started:

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-march-31

I can also tell you the New York Jets have strong interest in Mahomes, but I was asked not to go any further.

Reading between the lines....." we really want to convince somebody that we like him so they will trade up and give us extra picks." 

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

... this makes me warm and fuzzy ... mahomes has the most talent of all the QBs in the draft ... hopefully we trade down to get him

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If Mahomes were around Post 2nd round I'd be ok I guess. He does have a ridiculous arm. 

I'm not saying he will be or should be, but if he were...

All of this information we keep putting out regarding a QB will only make teams feel they have to either jump in front of us or take a guy before we do if they have a higher pick. If they are putting out a smokescreen it's because they like another player. Maybe they do like Mitchell, but if so why so loud about it. Maybe they really like Watson, or want a another player.  

23 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

All of this information we keep putting out regarding a QB will only make teams feel they have to either jump in front of us or take a guy before we do if they have a higher pick. If they are putting out a smokescreen it's because they like another player. Maybe they do like Mitchell, but if so why so loud about it. Maybe they really like Watson, or want a another player.  

Yet to see anything about a workout w/Peterman...Just sayin' (and no not at 6)

14 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Yet to see anything about a workout w/Peterman...Just sayin' (and no not at 6)

I like Peterman also, agreed not at 6. Wouldn't mind Peterman at all in the later rounds, maybe a secret private workout is planned or has been conducted. 

Giants coach Ben McAdoo attended Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes' Pro Day.

The Record's Art Stapleton believes McAdoo, who has avoided Pro Days in the past, showing up is a "sign" the Giants are giving "strong consideration" to drafting an heir apparent for Eli Manning. Considering Manning's age (36) and level of play last season, it would be wise for New York to start looking toward the future. They are a sleeper team to take a quarterback in the first round.
Related: Giants

Source: The Record 
Apr 1 - 10:21 AM

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Jets only sending their national scout to pro day could be a smoke screen, as they try and and set up a private visit with everyone on hand and keep it quiet, ala Hackenberg last year.

42285-wise-souls-speak-loudly-in-silence

25 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

The Record's Art Stapleton believes McAdoo, who has avoided Pro Days in the past, showing up is a "sign" the Giants are giving "strong consideration" to drafting an heir apparent for Eli Manning. Considering Manning's age (36) and level of play last season, it would be wise for New York to start looking toward the future. They are a sleeper team to take a quarterback in the first round.

It would be absolutely brilliant for a good team like the Giants to take a talented but developmental QB in the late first round.  They should not need their first round pick for holes.

A bad team like the Jets needs to use their higher pick to reach for a QB if they want one.  

You can be really bad, luck out and use your premium pick for a QB.   The Giants traded high value picks to get Eli Manning and rode that train for 15+ years.   So for the Jets to reach for a QB they believe in is a cost of doing business.  Arcorsi believed in Manning.   Macc needs to believe in someone.  

Nothing wrong with picking a developmental QB at 6 and goIng with current QBs in 2017.  Others can be traded or comp picked.   

9 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Gil Brandt (@Gil_Brandt)

4/1/17, 3:05 PM

What weak QB class? Don't be surprised is 5 QBs go in the 1st round. #NFLDraft2017

I have seen Watson and Mahomes play once.  Mahomes can physically throw it.  But so could Geno.  And both played in wacky systems.  I just have no idea.

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

I have seen Watson and Mahomes play once.  Mahomes can physically throw it.  But so could Geno.  And both played in wacky systems.  I just have no idea.

i would be that there is no way, Mahomes is as dumb as Geno

The notion of trading back in the first round to get the QB "you want" is some of the dumbest, and jetsiest draft-fan bullsh*t ever. If you legitimately think he can be your franchise QB, you absolutely do not give everyone else a chance to steal him from you for the sake of an extra couple of picks. Additionally, if you're trading back for a QB, he's either not good and you don't draft him anyway, or you just stay pat and draft him with your first. You don't let franchise QBs get away and if you do, then you're not convinced he's a franchise QB

6 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

I thought they signed their QB of the future in Geno"friggin"Smith?

3 hours ago, C Mart said:

Gil Brandt (@Gil_Brandt)

4/1/17, 3:05 PM

What weak QB class? Don't be surprised is 5 QBs go in the 1st round. #NFLDraft2017

And to Gil Brandt I would say quanity =/= quality:

2006-young-leinart-cutler.jpg

2011-newton-locker-gabbert-ponder(2).jpg

2 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

The notion of trading back in the first round to get the QB "you want" is some of the dumbest, and jetsiest draft-fan bullsh*t ever. If you legitimately think he can be your franchise QB, you absolutely do not give everyone else a chance to steal him from you for the sake of an extra couple of picks. Additionally, if you're trading back for a QB, he's either not good and you don't draft him anyway, or you just stay pat and draft him with your first. You don't let franchise QBs get away and if you do, then you're not convinced he's a franchise QB

Nonsense hes projected to go in the high teens at best.

if you can trade to the low teens and pick up an e tra second you make out.......... get your man and an extra guy for little risk

2 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Nonsense hes projected to go in the high teens at best if you can trade to the mid teens u can gain a pick qith little risk

13 hours ago, KRL said:

Interesting Mahomes comment from Tony Pauline who has been very good with
Jet insights over the years.  Back in 2015 he said the Jets would sign James
Carpenter before free agency started:

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-march-31

I can also tell you the New York Jets have strong interest in Mahomes, but I was asked not to go any further.

Sounds more like a smokescreen. 

Mahomes and Hackenberg are similar. Big time arms with miserable mechanics. The difference between the 2 is that Hackenberg succeeded a year in a pro style offense which could translate on the NFL level.  Mahomes only succeeded in an air raid system which has never seen a successful NFL QB come out of that system.  Mahomes somehow has good accuracy despite his putrid mechanics but he doesn't play from the pocket traditionally and is a QB that makes plays when everything breaks down.

Personally I like Hackenbergs chances better.  I strongly dislike mahomes as a prospect and I think drafting him would basically be Christian hackenberg part 2 (an iffy project.) Taking a guy that's extremely flawed, raw and needs a few years on the bench just isn't the right way to go here, we already have 2 guys like that currently on the roster. There are 2 guys in the draft that have far less flaws in their game and if they draft a QB I truly hope they go with Watson or trubiski

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Sounds like the same sh*t that came out about Hackenberg last year 2 weeks before the draft.

I don't remember reading about us showing a lot of interest in Hack beyond the norm

16 hours ago, Persiussa said:

Mahomes and Hackenberg are similar. Big time arms with miserable mechanics. The difference between the 2 is that Hackenberg succeeded a year in a pro style offense which could translate on the NFL level.  Mahomes only succeeded in an air raid system which has never seen a successful NFL QB come out of that system.  Mahomes somehow has good accuracy despite his putrid mechanics but he doesn't play from the pocket traditionally and is a QB that makes plays when everything breaks down.

Personally I like Hackenbergs chances better.  I strongly dislike mahomes as a prospect and I think drafting him would basically be Christian hackenberg part 2 (an iffy project.) Taking a guy that's extremely flawed, raw and needs a few years on the bench just isn't the right way to go here, we already have 2 guys like that currently on the roster. There are 2 guys in the draft that have far less flaws in their game and if they draft a QB I truly hope they go with Watson or trubiski

Want zero, no part of Trubiscky. Watch him and all I get is, meh. Does nothing for me..... let Mitchel save Cleveland, lol

15 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Sounds like the same sh*t that came out about Hackenberg last year 2 weeks before the draft.

Adams or Hooker At 6 overall, then trade back into first for Mahomes. I'd be totally fine with it. 

Looks like the Jets did a private workout for Mahomes. They did it the morning after his pro day, probably to keep it under wraps. I think they're going after him.

"The Jets already have two young quarterbacks on their roster, but they may be planning to add a third in this month’s draft.

Former Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes worked out for the Jets this morning, according to the Houston Chronicle.

Mahomes has had a busy schedule this offseason. At his Pro Day on Friday, he worked out for 28 teams, showing off a strong arm with a 78-yard heave. He has also had private workouts with the Bengals, Chargers, Cardinals, Saints and Browns.

The Jets are expected to start veteran Josh McCown, at least at the beginning of the 2017 season, but they’re also developing 2016 second-round pick Christian Hackenberg and 2015 fourth-round pick Bryce Petty. Last year they kept four quarterbacks on the 53-player roster, and it’s possible they will again this year if they draft a quarterback this month."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/02/jets-work-out-patrick-mahomes/

Archived