All-time worst Jets draft pick?

Pointdexter

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to make it another Geno thread so here you go

Geno "Slinger" Smith - probably set this franchise back more than any other draft pick in last 20 years.  Idziot passed on picking offensive playmakers which was desperately needed at the time and subsequently passed on QBs in future drafts because of him.  Wasted 4 years in the value in the core team that was still in place and productive (Brick, Mangold, Harris, etc..) on this future bust.

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

I would argue its any player drafted in round 1- 5 2000 when we passed on Tom Brady.

Tom Brady would have sucked had any other team drafted him....no other team could feed him the defensive plays before the snap

I can't say Gholston because the Jets were trapped into picking him. They kind of had no choice.

This has to be a player that there was a reasonable alternative to pick

I thInk Kyle Brady is the worst Jets pick of all time. Major alternative was availible, plus it was way more publicized. 

Gholston doesn't really get mentioned among the all time greats essentially because that years first round was utter crap.

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Gholston. 

DRob was awful because Belichick deked us into trading two firsts and a fourth for him, but at least he played. 

he was a lunch pail every down DT.  Undeserving of round 1, but he was a starter for multiple years.  Gholston was far worse.

While he wasn't a terrible player at all, taking Ken O'Brien instead of Marino was a hugely damaging pick.  With Marino, things likely would have been very, very different.  Impact wise, this was easily the worst IMO.

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Gholston. 

DRob was awful because Belichick deked us into trading two firsts and a fourth for him, but at least he played. 

Gholston was a swing and a miss, but taking a shot on a pass rusher with his stats and numbers, and with the way the board went was a move I can at least understand.

The bowling knife of a butterball, or whatever he was called at 4 was the very definition of a thrown away pick at #4. LOL. Undersized guy from a marginal football program with bad knees that plays a position that can be filled with a 4th rounder (DT) in a 4-3, and is too small to play nose in a 3-4?

Sign me up....lol. awful.

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Gholston was a swing and a miss, but taking a shot on a pass rusher with his stats and numbers, and with the way the board went was a move I can at least understand.

The bowling knife of a butterball, or whatever he was called at 4 was the very definition of a thrown away pick at #4. LOL. Undersized guy from a marginal football program with bad knees that plays a position that can be filled with a 4th rounder (DT) in a 4-3, and is too small to play nose in a 3-4?

I think I hate the Gholston pick more because it happened under Mangini's watch, and Mangini was no dummy. He had to know Gholston was a flake.

46 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I can't say Gholston because the Jets were trapped into picking him. They kind of had no choice.

This has to be a player that there was a reasonable alternative to pick

I thInk Kyle Brady is the worst Jets pick of all time. Major alternative was availible, plus it was way more publicized. 

Gholston doesn't really get mentioned among the all time greats essentially because that years first round was utter crap.

Kyle Brady was terrible, but at least he had a long career. IMO, Gholston was the worst.

17 minutes ago, lawyers guns and money said:

Reggie rembert was a second round pick who didn't make it out of training camp!

Via wiki  

Rembert played only three of four seasons in the NFL. He did not play as a rookie, as he never signed with the Jets and was traded to the Cincinnati Bengals.

Aug 25, 1986 - Tackle Doug Williams, the New York Jets' 1986 second-round draft choice, was among 10 players waived Monday by the NFL team. 

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Bowling ball with knives. Bob Jensen, I believe. 

From an impact and draft position standpoint its hard to ague anyone other then Gholston with Ron Farout and Mike Taylor (1972) runners up.  After that for first rounders...Mike Haight, DRob, and Roger Vick.

But I have to agree that the most PAINFUL pick of all time was OBrien over Marino.  I liked OBrien but that missed pick was the gift that just kept on giving for a decade and a half. 

My worst: 

Mike Nugent in the 2nd round

And just to make it a little bit worse, you may remember we traded down from 26 to the 2nd round with the Raiders for Doug F-ing Jolley.  Well here's what you may not remember.  OAK then traded from 26 up to 23 by tossing in a few later round picks.  I do not remember who they took at 23, but the next pick...Aaron Rodgers.  So...with great hindsight, we took Mike Nugent and Doug Jolley and some random late round guy over Aaron Rodgers. 

Few more honorable mentions:

Mike Haight in the 1st round (albeit it was perhaps the sh*ttiest draft class ever)

Dave Cadigan in the 1st round (if you really needed a Guard, Randall McDaniel went later)

Archived