Best Sounding Name and/or Nickname In Jet History

TuscanyTile2

I just posted about Johnny "Lam" Jones getting nicknamed him "Lam" because he was from Lampasas to differentiate him from teammate Johnny "Ham" Jones, who was from Hamlin, Texas.  Even though he was a bust of a player, I do like the nickname.  What are some of the other great names and/or nicknames in Jet history?

Wahoo McDaniel..

McDaniel's college career was somewhat marred by injuries early on but by his senior year, he was one of the top players on the Oklahoma team despite being caught drinking after games and skipping classes. He played linebacker for the American Football League's Houston Oilers and Denver Broncos but really became a star when he was traded to the New York Jets in 1964. He was a crowd favorite and made 23 tackles in a single game against his former Denver Broncos. As a gimmick, whenever McDaniel made a tackle, the PA announcer would announce, "Tackle made by...guess who?", which the crowd would respond, "WAHOO!" He was picked by the Miami Dolphins in the 1966 American Football League expansion draft, as the team's major name player. During the 1968 season, he knocked out two police officers in an altercation and was traded to the San Diego Chargers. Wahoo never played a game for San Diego and started wrestling full-time. McDaniel was unique in that he wore his first name of "Wahoo" as the name on his jersey.

Not a nickname, but I used to love Clark Gaines. Aside from fact that he was just a great dude, his name was so there. It doesn't get better than that. Clark Gaines, lol. Too bad that his career was marred by injury, but he's a great undrafted story - because of injury. Sigh. He could've really been something else, but he gave me a ton as a Jets fan. Still pretty prolific all things considered. He was a wicked blocker, too. Thanks, Clark. I think he still works for the NFLPA. 

8 minutes ago, jetophile said:

Not a nickname, but I used to love Clark Gaines. Aside from fact that he was just a great dude, his name was so there. It doesn't get better than that. Clark Gaines, lol. Too bad that his career was marred by injury, but he's a great undrafted story - because of injury. Sigh. He could've really been something else, but he gave me a ton as a Jets fan. Still pretty prolific all things considered. He was a wicked blocker, too. Thanks, Clark. I think he still works for the NFLPA. 

I think he holds the record for most catches in a game by a RB at 17..

Roscoe Word - when the Jets drafted this corner/PR, in the early 70's, I thought he had to be good with such a name, even though I had never heard of him. Turned out he was quite puny, and quickly out of the league. But I loved his name, and apparently, still do.....

18 hours ago, jetophile said:

Sure do remember Clark.

I liked his teamate Kevin Long also.

Long / Gaines nice backfield names had a good ring to it.

Archived