Underrated as a Mofo

TuscanyTile2

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The overrated thread is shaping up to be an all time great.  May as well have an underrated thread.

I'll start with:

Curtis Martin

Donovan McNabb

Frank Zappa's guitar playing

Pulled pork

I'm sorry, but who exactly is underrating pulled pork?  Most people I know who aren't vegetarians would put it at the top of any list, maybe fighting with bacon and Snickers bars for the top spot.

Crusher, can we get a ruling here?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I'm sorry, but who exactly is underrating pulled pork?  Most people I know who aren't vegetarians would put it at the top of any list, maybe fighting with bacon and Snickers bars for the top spot.

Crusher, can we get a ruling here?

Bacon- undisputed champion

Pulled pork- interim champion for you when you gots no bacon

Snickers- keeps you from being a dick until you gets to the bacon or pulled pork

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Am I missing something here? Out of the few good things that hipsters have bequeathed upon the earth, I feel like Byrne getting his proper due is one of them. Along with better coffee and getting people to chill the **** out about facial hair.

That's sort of everything, no?

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Bacon- undisputed champion

Pulled pork- interim champion for you when you gots no bacon

Snickers- keeps you from being a dick until you gets to the bacon or pulled pork

This is Food Truth right here, people.  Emeril, Mario and all those other wanna-be Crushers should take notes.

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Am I missing something here? Out of the few good things that hipsters have bequeathed upon the earth, I feel like Byrne getting his proper due is one of them. Along with better coffee and getting people to chill the **** out about facial hair.

I feel like TH is at least as good a band as the Who, but don't really get talked about that way. Maybe I need to hang out with more hipsters.

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I feel like TH is at least as good a band as the Who, but don't really get talked about that way. Maybe I need to hang out with more hipsters.

Agreed.  The Talking Heads should be considered one of the greatest american bands in the history of this country with David Byrne as one of the greatest american song writers of our generation and instead, I think they're viewed as just a cool band to like because they were once the house band at CBGB and do weird sh*t in their music videos.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  The Talking Heads should be considered one of the greatest american bands in the history of this country with David Byrne as one of the greatest american song writers of our generation and instead, I think they're viewed as just a cool band to like because they were once the house band at CBGB and do weird sh*t in their music videos.

That's what I mean--I feel like outside of hipsterdom, they get discussed as a quaint little arthouse band.

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

That's what I mean--I feel like outside of hipsterdom, they get discussed as a quaint little arthouse band.

Agreed.  I think they were so different than their contemporaries that the fact they were producing incredibly brilliant music was lost and its just now that people are recognizing they were good but not great.  

I sort of relate them o the Pixies.  IMO by far the best band to come from the "grunge era', even though their sound at times was completely different and maybe more influential to the movement but you never hear them mentioned in the same vein as Nirvana or Pearl Jam and only now are being recognized for being good but not the great band they were/are.

At least that's my experience with those 2 bands who are probably top 5 favorite all time artists for me. 

29 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

TH was a great band but they weren't anywhere near The Who.

Pretty funny that rest of the band hated Byrne and the felling was mutual. Like a lot of bands, like Joey and Johnny Ramone,  lots of bands  consist of people who hate each other's guts forever but stick together for the $. But Big Picture -rock bands are different in that not many businesses lock people into the work group or friends they have at 18-22 until their 50s and 60s. 

Talking heads were great. Had they featured half naked women in their videos and more demeaning lyrics to those said women they would have reached super stardom. Thank god they were real artists.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Hipsters are disqualified from everything bc well yea, The Smiths.

the Taking Heads are great!

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  I think they were so different than their contemporaries that the fact they were producing incredibly brilliant music was lost and its just now that people are recognizing they were good but not great.  

I sort of relate them o the Pixies.  IMO by far the best band to come from the "grunge era', even though their sound at times was completely different and maybe more influential to the movement but you never hear them mentioned in the same vein as Nirvana or Pearl Jam and only now are being recognized for being good but not the great band they were/are.

At least that's my experience with those 2 bands who are probably top 5 favorite all time artists for me. 

So many bands over the years do not get the recognition they deserve. I'm not a big TH fan but I understand what you guys are saying, the talent is obviously there. For Instance look at bands like Symphony X, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, And now Neil Morse most people don't even know who those bands are yet they have die hard fan bases. Yes I am a big Progressive Rock/Metal fan which started with bands like Pink Floyd, Kansas, Rush and Yes they just don't get the air play anymore because the music industry is a joke. I called a DJ here in Dallas once to get him to play a new Dream Theater song back in 2000 off the Album "Metropolis II Scenes From a Memory" and he told me he was a huge fan  of the band but he could not play the music because his station would not put it on their play list, pretty sad if you ask me.

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

So many bands over the years do not get the recognition they deserve. I'm not a big TH fan but I understand what you guys are saying, the talent is obviously there. For Instance look at bands like Symphony X, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, And now Neil Morse most people don't even know who those bands are yet they have die hard fan bases. Yes I am a big Progressive Rock/Metal fan which started with bands like Pink Floyd, Kansas, Rush and Yes they just don't get the air play anymore because the music industry is a joke. I called a DJ here in Dallas once to get him to play a new Dream Theater song back in 2000 off the Album "Metropolis II Scenes From a Memory" and he told me he was a huge fan  of the band but he could not play the music because his station would not put it on their play list, pretty sad if you ask me.

maxresdefault.jpg

Just now, HessStation said:

maxresdefault.jpg

I just watched a documentary about this very subject and it just goes to show how much influence money has on our society its really disgraceful and its the main reason why I despise the media and its phony news outlets which are usually listed under the entertainment section of these large companies who run most of it. BTW those media giants they are huge corporations who have media as part of their agenda. Its all alternative media for me and has been for about 20 + years. I will never tune into Fox News, MSNBC or CNN it makes my stomach turn and its disgraceful to the so called american way of life now over run with monopolies

Has anyone taken notice on how the services like Amazon Prime, Google Play and NetFlix are now forcing you to subscribe to HBO or Showtime (or some other sevices) just to be able to watch a move that's been out on DVD for months ? I tried to watch Tarzan the other night because there was nothing else to watch and in order to watch it I had to subscribe to (I think it was Showtime) a channel or pay 19.99 .

Whats sad about this is that if you try to watch it on Amazon and they try to force you to subscribe well then so do the other services. How do these pricks get away with this ?

2 hours ago, PCP63 said:

With how many people say they're overrated or all their songs sound the same (they don't), ACDC is certainly underrated.

Curtis Martin

Paul Pierce

Trump

Medjool Dates

Mountain Dew Black Label

NHL

Re ACDC, I would say Brian Johnson era overrated, Bon Scott era underrated.  

Archived