PFF Mock Draft

varjet

Here is their second round.

I question whether we got the right defensive back.

For kicks and giggles, watch the Brett Kollman videos on Peppers, Hooker and Adams.  Very insightful.

39. New York Jets

Teez Tabor, CB, Florida

The high 40-yard-dash times are concerning (4.64 at the NFL Combine, 4.7-range at Florida’s pro day), but Tabor’s tape is impressive. He is a bit of a risk-taker, but that also led to him getting his hands on 32 passes (23 pass breakups, nine interceptions) on only 143 targets the last three years.

40. Carolina Panthers

Obi Melifonwu, S, UConn

Melifonwu is an incredible athlete who continued to progress throughout his career at UConn. He can work well in Carolina’s two-high scheme, showing enough range on the back end while working downhill in the running game, just as he did in an impressive showing during Senior Bowl week.

41. Cincinnati Bengals

Alvin Kamara, RB, Tennessee

Kamara is explosive with the ball in his hands, tying for second in the draft class with an elusive rating of 129.4 and ranking fourth with 2.40 yards per route run. He brings a versatile weapon to the Bengals’ offense, capable of making plays both on the ground and as a receiver.

42. New Orleans Saints

Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State

The Saints double-dip at the cornerback position, this time adding Conley, who brings good size and movement skills. He can play press or off coverage, allowing a nation-low passer rating of 13.6 into his coverage, and while there was certainly some luck involved in that number, he adds another playmaker on the back end of a revamped New Orleans defense.

43. Philadelphia Eagles

Adoree’ Jackson, CB, USC

Perhaps a bit more projection at this point, Jackson is an incredible athlete who has his ups and downs at cornerback. He possesses good ball skills, but he’ll find himself turned around at times in coverage. Still, he has the athleticism, room to improve, and special-teams skills to warrant a second-round pick.

44. Buffalo Bills

Desmond King, CB, Iowa

The run on cornerbacks continues as the Bills fill a need with King, who is one of the better zone corners in the draft. He has a good feel for route concepts, and opponents recorded a passer rating of 48.1 while throwing his way over the last three years. Throw in his sure tackling (only 11 misses on 176 attempts) and he’s a good fit for Buffalo’s defense.

45. Arizona Cardinals

Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida

Wilson has press-coverage ability that fits in with Arizona’s man-heavy scheme. He can play opposite CB Patrick Peterson, bringing his 6-foot-1 frame and solid movement skills to Arizona’s defense that desperately needs a No. 2 corner. Wilson allowed a passer rating of only 45.8 over the last three years.

46. Indianapolis Colts

Sidney Jones, CB, Washington

We’re back to the cornerback well, this time with the Colts taking a chance on the injured Jones. It’s a worthwhile risk to add a first-round talent to the defense, and a team willing to potentially sacrifice his rookie season could get the payoff of a top 2-3 corner in this class with press-coverage ability and excellent ball skills.

47. Baltimore Ravens

Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan

Peppers can dabble in multiple roles on Baltimore’s defense, perhaps taking some snaps at linebacker or covering tight ends in nickel situations. If used in a pure strong safety role, he can make plays against the run as the extra man in the box and can line up over the slot against bigger receiver and tight ends.

If we took Tabor in front of all of the players listed above I would be enraged.  You can be 'not fast' as a Cb in this league if you are super smart and get protected a bit.  But if you are slow teams are going to take advantage.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If we took Tabor in front of all of the players listed above I would be enraged.  You can be 'not fast' as a Cb in this league if you are super smart and get protected a bit.  But if you are slow teams are going to take advantage.

Come on. It's not like the Patriots just traded for a receiver who runs a 4.2 forty or something,

18 hours ago, JohnJ said:

They do. Burris looks like he may be decent, but he's around the same speed as Tabor

Not true.  Burris (4.52) an acceptable time for a CB and is a big and strong CB.  I'm sure if Burris lost 15 pounds (Tabor's size), he'd probably run in the 4.4s.  He's also a lot more explosive than Tabor (37" vertical vs. 31" vertical).

Just now, detectivekimble said:

We can watch him run by Tabor (Thanks Mac) and then Pryor (Thanks Idzik) on a 90 yard TD reception.

Well if he has a 90 yard TD reception, that means that our offense will have scored a TD. Because the Patriots rarely receive the opening kickoff or are aggressive at the beginning of the second half.

18 hours ago, JohnJ said:

They do. Burris looks like he may be decent, but he's around the same speed as Tabor

Tabor just ran a 4.77, Burris is a 4.53 guy.

35 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Not true.  Burris (4.52) an acceptable time for a CB and is a big and strong CB.  I'm sure if Burris lost 15 pounds (Tabor's size), he'd probably run in the 4.4s.  He's also a lot more explosive than Tabor (37" vertical vs. 31" vertical).

I'm not criticizing Burris. I like him. But he's not a speedster on the outside and it was apparent that guys could get behind him. But he has skills to overcome that possibly.

My point was agreeing with the other poster before me that speed may be a more important consideration in our secondary in considering Tabor. Especially outside. Even so Burris has a way to go.

33 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Would you be surprised if Bowles played Tabor man-to-man against Cooks?  

After watching how he deployed Antonio Cromartie and Darrelle Revis, the only thing that'd surprise me is if Bowles ever took responsibility for playing Tabor man to man on Cooks.

30 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Well if he has a 90 yard TD reception, that means that our offense will have scored a TD. Because the Patriots rarely receive the opening kickoff or are aggressive at the beginning of the second half.

Hodfyytdugfffgggfdgy

IMG_0493.JPG

That image above is Bowles deciding to call a time out near the end of the half so the Pats and score a late game clinging td against us I take it?

New England 2 and a 7 from their own 16 with 46 seconds left....time out new york jets

31 seconds left tom brady pass to James white for 28 yard td.

find the guy who can do this or better:

Dates: 03/16/07 
Height: 5114
Weight: 204
40 Yrd Dash: 4.38
20 Yrd Dash: 2.49
10 Yrd Dash: 1.46
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 
Vertical Jump: 38
Broad Jump: 10'5"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.08
3-Cone Drill: 6.56

and be able to play the ball and the receiver at the same time.

conspiracy talk aside people put way too much into measurable's 10th's of a second do not always translate to the football field. If you get the proper pressure on a QB the time in which a DB needs to actually cover drops substantially its not like teams throwing 50 yard bombs are going to be completing those passes at anything more than the 10 % they currently do and speed is only a factor on a fly route the rest comes down to quickness. Also as someone mentioned, smarts can shave tenths of a second quite easily as can quickness, both of which can not be measured in a 40 yard dash. Fcuk the combine and fcuk the measurable's give me football players over work out warriors every time./

Archived