cbs mock has Jets trading down twice in round 1...

Sperm Edwards

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2017-nfl-mock-draft-five-teams-trade-up-while-the-jets-move-down-twice/

Not only that, but in each of those 2 slots, they have our trade partner taking a QB.

1st trade down with Cleveland, from #6 to #12. At #6, they have Cleveland taking Trubisky. Jets pick up 3rd rounder this yr and 2nd rounder next year, getting back an unspecified day 3 pick. 

2nd trade down with Houston, from #12 to #25. At #12, they have Houston taking Mahomes. Jets pick up either Houston's 2nd this yr or their 2018 1st rounder (though they acknowledge the latter is less likely since they already don't have a 2nd rounder in 2018).

#25 Jets draft...

Deshaun Watson

Woof. Picking up both a 2nd and 3rd rounder this yr plus another 2nd rounder next year, and still ending up with a QB so many say we should draft at #6? I'd have to say endless nice things about Maccagnan if he pulled this off, and would be happy to do it.

I'm not as into these projection trends as some, so is there a serious chance he actually drops that far? It's not like "lock" top 5-10 pick QBs haven't dropped before (Bridewater, Manziel, Rodgers, Geno... even Lynch last year was getting rumored projections in/around the top 10 as the draft approached), but I didn't know anyone had him going that low.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2017-nfl-mock-draft-five-teams-trade-up-while-the-jets-move-down-twice/

Not only that, but in each of those 2 slots, they have our trade partner taking a QB.

1st trade down with Cleveland, from #6 to #12. At #6, they have Cleveland taking Trubisky. Jets pick up 3rd rounder this yr and 2nd rounder next year, getting back an unspecified day 3 pick. 

2nd trade down with Houston, from #12 to #25. At #12, they have Houston taking Mahomes. Jets pick up either Houston's 2nd this yr or their 2018 1st rounder (though they acknowledge the latter is less likely since they already don't have a 2nd rounder in 2018).

#25 Jets draft...

Deshaun Watson

Woof. Picking up both a 2nd and 3rd rounder this yr plus another 2nd rounder next year, and still ending up with a QB so many say we should draft at #6? I'd have to say endless nice things about Maccagnan if he pulled this off, and would be happy to do it.

I'm not as into these projection trends as some, so is there a serious chance he actually drops that far? It's not like "lock" top 5-10 pick QBs haven't dropped before (Bridewater, Manziel, Rodgers, Geno... even Lynch last year was getting rumored projections in/around the top 10 as the draft approached), but I didn't know anyone had him going that low.

no thanks on Watson or any QB from this draft.....would not mind extra picks though..

If the Jets were to draft Deshaun Watson and end up with a 2018 1st round and 2nd round picks and also add another 3rd round pick all on the 1st day of the draft, mike Mccagnan would be declared exec of the year the very next day .

I don't get the logic.  If the Jets think Watson is a future franchise/championship QB, then why risk losing him by trading back not once, but twice.  If they really think he can be the guy who can lead the team to a championship, then you don't mess around, you take him at 6 when you have the chance.  If you don't think he is a potential championship QB, then why bother.  Makes for nice reading in a hypothetical mock, and good fodder for discussion on message boards like this, but just does not make much sense to me at all.  

I would love the two trade backs and accumulating more picks, but not the QB pick at 25.

16 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

#25 Jets draft...

Deshaun Watson

Watson is a 3rd round talent at best that pick would be the end of his GM job guarantee it, you can't take a 4th round prospect at QB in the 2nd 1 year, and follow that up with a 3rd round QB prospect in the 1st, and keep your job.  Only good thing would be a new coach, and GM will have no ties to either QB, and will possibly be set up to take Darnold early next years draft.

For those who can't see it clearly , "The Trade"

Jets receive for the 6th over all pick :

Deshaun Watson

2017 2nd round pick

2017 3rd round pick

2017 day 3 pick

2018 1st round pick

2018 3rd round pick

Altogether, the Jets would have Deshaun Watson, two 2nd round picks, three 3rd round picks and either 2 5th, 2 6th or 2 7th round picks this year .

Going into the QB draft of 2018, the Jets would own 2 1st round picks, their 2nd 2 3rd round picks and their own pick in every other round

That's 8 picks in the 1st 3 rounds in 2017 and  5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds in 2018  .

17 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

#25 Jets draft...

Deshaun Watson

IF that is how it played out.........IF.......WOW.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Watson is a 3rd round talent at best that pick would be the end of his GM job guarantee it, you can't take a 4th round prospect at QB in the 2nd 1 year, and follow that up with a 3rd round QB prospect in the 1st, and keep your job.  Only good thing would be a new coach, and GM will have no ties to either QB, and will possibly be set up to take Darnold early next years draft.

What are you talking about?

10 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Really? I've seen him play exactly one football game, and I'd be lying if I said I was really paying attention for most of it. 

Who would you compare him to, coming out of college?

On 4/8/2017 at 5:59 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

#25 Jets draft...

Deshaun Watson

I really can't see Macc drafting Watson because he apparently has a weak throwing arm which I don't think is going to work in NY football weather.

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I really can't see Macc drafting Watson because he apparently has a weak throwing arm which I don't think is going to work in NY football weather.

I was looking at a video that showed Watson's issue being poor mechanics and not necessarily a weak arm. The vid showed comparisons with throws when he was properly set which showed alot of zip in live games and when he wasn't properly set. It showed how the ball didn't have as much zip as well as how the threw behind some wr's given the lack of accuracy/velocity associated with his heavily inconsistent throwing mechanics. After seeing that vid, I think there could be some truth to that. Seeing the comparisons when he throws correctly, there is some heat and nice trajectory on the ball.

8 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

It'll probably happen because I'm saying this, but I don't see the Browns trading up and giving away picks to do so. This is a team that basically paid Houston Osweiler's contract amount just to obtain their 2nd round pick. If anything, the Browns may trade down for more picks.

Maybe they acquired that pick so they could have more ammo to move up...Duh. Just saying...

The Watson pick does not make sense in this scenario. He would be long gone by then- IMO. I don;t think there is a consensus among scouts that Watson's 'weak' arm will have him tumbling down draft boards. Not will all the other positives about him and the lack of top QB talent in this draft. I still think Trubinsky, Watson, Mahomes, and Kizer all go in the first round. Thats just me.

The double trade down scenario , although unlikely, could very well happen. Other teams have done it before, so why not the Jets.

I would love for the JEts to move down twice and add all of those draft picks. At 25 they could get a slew of talented players at positions of need. One of the top CBs, one of the top OTs, one of the top TEs, one of the top Pass Rushers/LBs.    

Love the two trade back scenarios as it would give them a lot of opportunities to build this team over the course of the this draft and the next.  If Watson is not the pick at 25, look who was still on the board:

Picked after the Jets: Jarrad Davis, DeShone Kizer, Fabian Moreau, Gareon Conley, Jabrill Peppers, Forrest Lamp, Christian McCaffrey

Players that other posters have mentioned as options if the Jets were to trade back: David Njoku, TJ Watt, Charles Harris, Quincy Wilson, Budda Baker

On 4/8/2017 at 5:59 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

#25 Jets draft...

Deshaun Watson

I just jizzed my pants at the idea this could happen.  If it happened on draft day, I'm scared for my penis. 

as long as the jets maintain the number of picks they have this year it's a good deal with or without watson. they'll get some good talent this draft and next year be loaded enough to make moves up or stay where they are. next season the revis dead money comes off, sheldon will be elsewhere, forte will be gone, and probably harris.  that would give them lots of cap space to sign their own free agents as well as sign more high draft picks. and for the mac haters, if he's gone then the next gm will inherit some good draft positions and a nice young team to build.

Archived