These mannings are greedy SOBs

Jetsplayer21

19 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Looks more like a low grade episode of "Hoarders". Had some angry woman years back either here or on JI complaining that the Yankees while checking into a hotel on the road didn't use the front door to avoid autograph seekers since her and her kids were waiting by the front door for hours for autographs. Also recall a story of an autograph hound without any apology interrupting Reggie Jackson fork in hand at a Cooperstown steakhouse and blaming Jackson for getting pissed off.   So athletes are bad because they want to eat dinner or check into  hotel? Aren't the games themselves enough? Granted these guys are paying bills with this money, but if it went away they would be okay. The Mannings are greedy bastards. But they only get away with it because people refuse to take a step back and ask themselves why they care about memorabilia at all. 

Agree some people are downright rude and cross the line when it comes to autograph seeking.  The best is when people make them sign a napkin or the back of the dirty t shirt they are wearing. Athletes deserve their private space and some don't know when to say when. Years ago I had an entire room filled with Jets memorabilia mostly autographed stuff my wife took all the 8x10's out of the frames and put the pictures in plastic and binders and I gave a lot of stuff away. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Looks more like a low grade episode of "Hoarders". Had some angry woman years back either here or on JI complaining that the Yankees while checking into a hotel on the road didn't use the front door to avoid autograph seekers since her and her kids were waiting by the front door for hours for autographs. Also recall a story of an autograph hound without any apology interrupting Reggie Jackson fork in hand at a Cooperstown steakhouse and blaming Jackson for getting pissed off.   So athletes are bad because they want to eat dinner or check into  hotel? Aren't the games themselves enough? Granted these guys are paying bills with this money, but if it went away they would be okay. The Mannings are greedy bastards. But they only get away with it because people refuse to take a step back and ask themselves why they care about memorabilia at all. 

They way I look at it, if you ask, nicely, at a game or practice, that's not out of line.   Now, just cause you ask, they don't have to say yes.

When they aren't wearing a uniform, just leave them alone.  Years ago, I worked at the Friendly's in Waldwick.  Slow night, Lou Pinella comes in with his family.  Kinda cool cause he had just won with the Reds, but was wearing his NY WS ring.   Anyway, we all leave him alone, he has a nice dinner.  At the end, some other family comes up and asks, and you can tell he is so irritated. 

Side note, I gave him a comment card if he's like to comment on his dinner.  He wrote me a nice little note, signed it, and a nice (not insane) tip.

58 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Dealing with an ongoing estate of a guy that had no kids and left tons of sports memorabilia to various friends and relatives. So at the end of his life, he had all this stuff that filled his apartment, was really of no value to him or anyone else. What really do you do with a signed framed Joe Montana jersey? It's not a piece of art of a family photo.  And now has burdened his sister with dealing with getting this crap to people. And many of those people don't want it anyway.

It's clutter.

I really do not get the whole thing. It's greed, Jeter giving the chicks a fruit basket after a BJ. 

My ex wife was a boarder line hoarder.   Every closet, garage, storage full of crap. 

Some people just collect and hoard stuff.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Not trying to be cool at all ..... I mean you had to know I was joking right ?

Whatever dude you sit back and look for stupid asinine reasons to post sh*t when other people post something and post nothing pertinent to the thread if thats what gets you through the day have at it man. 

Ha ha..............

28 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Whatever dude you sit back and look for stupid asinine reasons to post sh*t when other people post something and post nothing pertinent to the thread if thats what gets you through the day have at it man. 

Ha ha..............

pot-kettle-black.jpg

8 hours ago, Bugg said:

Dealing with an ongoing estate of a guy that had no kids and left tons of sports memorabilia to various friends and relatives. So at the end of his life, he had all this stuff that filled his apartment, was really of no value to him or anyone else. What really do you do with a signed framed Joe Montana jersey? It's not a piece of art of a family photo.  And now has burdened his sister with dealing with getting this crap to people. And many of those people don't want it anyway.

It's clutter.

I really do not get the whole thing. It's greed, Jeter giving the chicks a fruit basket after a BJ. 

MV5BOGMxZTMwNmQtOWIwMC00ZjFlLTllNGQtYTlk

Regarding Jeter, I believe that was always mistaken quote. I think Jeter gave them the fruit salad after the BJ and journalists got it all wrong 

Archived