should jets position themselves for Sam Darnold, other top QBs in 2018 ? ? ?

kelly

Our New York Jets question of the week comes from a loyal reader who proposes a way to secure that ever-elusive franchise quarterback :

Accepting questions for the Jets mailbag tomorrow. What's on your mind? Let 'er rip. Please use #jetsmail.

@RichCimini You think a wise move if Jets trade our #6 for a 2018 #1 that along w/our 2018 #1 positions us to move to get best 2018's best QB? #jetsmail

@RichCimini : To paraphrase Bill Raftery, that would take a lot of onions. Only a coach and/or general manager with air-tight job security -- someone like Bill Belichick -- could afford to make a trade like that. You're basically saying, "I don't need help this year, so I'll stockpile for the future." GM Mike Maccagnan and coach Todd Bowles don't have that luxury, especially not Bowles, whose seat probably is a few degrees warmer than that of Maccagnan.

I understand your premise, Rich. You're alluding to what is being touted as a blockbuster class of quarterbacks in 2018 -- USC's Sam Darnold, UCLA's Josh Rosen, Wyoming's Josh Allen, et al. There are a few others too. If the Jets had two first-round picks in that draft, they'd have the bargaining power to deal up to the very top. Not to be a Danny Downer or anything, but let's be honest: They might not need that second first-round pick to get into prime position. They could play their way into that spot on their own.

Hence, the "Suck for Sam" movement among some fans.

Do you think Bowles wants to take a dive for Darnold ? No way.

Coming off a 5-11 season, Bowles has to win now -- or at least show Jets ownership the team is heading in the right direction under his leadership. I think he'd flip out if they traded the sixth pick for a future No. 1. Think about it: In the first two drafts under Maccagnan, Bowles has received little or no help from two of the Jets' four highest-drafted players -- wide receiver Devin Smith and quarterback Christian Hackenberg, both second-round choices. Smith hasn't been healthy and Hackenberg has been in moth balls.

The Jets might not find their franchise quarterback in the upcoming draft, but this is a really strong draft at a few positions, and they should be able to find three or four immediate starters. With four of the top 107 picks, they can fill holes at cornerback, safety and tight end. The other day, I heard ESPN analyst Mark Dominik, a former GM, say on the air this draft could be "a game changer" for a team.

The Jets should be investing in it, not divesting. Plus, this isn't the NBA, so picks aren't lottery protected. What if the Jets acquire a No. 1 pick that turns out to be at the bottom of the round? That would be a bad look.

The ideal scenario : Trade down, remain in the first round and acquire a future No. 1 pick. The most logical partner for that type of trade is the Houston Texans, picking 25th. They need a quarterback, but the sense I get is they won't mortgage the future with a blockbuster trade.

So to answer your question, Rich, no, it wouldn't be a wise trade. The bird in the hand is better than two in '18.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68146/should-jets-position-themselves-for-sam-darnold-other-top-qbs-in-2018

if there is an option to get another 1st round pick next year by trading down, we'd be complete morons not to take it. And if Bowles so much as flinches give him his severance papers right there and promote either Dorrell or Nunn to the Interim HC spot for the 2017 season.

Trade our 1st for a late round 1st this year and a 2018 1st.

We then have a late 1st rounder in 2017 and 2 1st rounders in 2018.

Then trade our late 2017 1st rounder and our 2017 4th rounder for another 2018 1st rounder and 2018 2nd rounder.

So we end up with:

• No 2017 1st rounder
  • No 2017 4th rounder
  • 3 2018 1st rounders
  • 2 2018 1st rounders

Or just draft Fournette.

26 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Sam Darnold went from unknown to number 1 pick after one game.  Im not sure Darnold will be the number 1 pick next year.  Hes got a lot to prove next year.

Nah. He got placed under the spotlight after that game.  But he played very well all year long once he became the starter.  67% thrower and we aren't talking bubble screens here. Sam pushes the ball downfield with purpose and dimes it. He doesn't throw 5 yards before the 1st down and hopes his WRs and RBs can convert.  He's always looking past the sticks.  I love that mentality in QBs. But you are right. He needs to stay consistent this season if they hype is going to match the reality.  But Rosen, Rudolph and Allen look legit too.  Whoever the lead dog is, I want to be in the position to get him. You don't want to be the guy who gets left holding the Akili Smith bag in a 3 horse race.

And before the snark patrol lashes out to nitpick the analogy...I know Couch busted, but that was due to injury. So kindly f**k off pre-emptively.

We could very well end up in a position to draft a top qb next season without trading away our 6 overall. We also are likely in position to draft a top qb this season who may not be rated as highly but could end up being better.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

This years draft may be the only draft where that seasons top QB prospect is sitting there waiting for us to take him.  Takes balls to pass on the hope that you get a shot at a QB who's ranked anything a year from now.  

Jets should aim for the Redskins when Watson is still there at #6.

Trade with the Redskins from #6 to #17 so they can have their K. Cousins replacement for '18 and we SHOULD demand a 2018 1st and a 2017 2nd round pick ro drop eleven spots and select either RB Dalvin Cook, OT Garret Bolles or OT Cam Robinson.

Don't be greedy. Just assure a 2018 1st rounder JUST IN CASE we may need ammo for next spring's draft. If the Jets STILL need a QB heading into 2018, then we BETTER COME PACKIN' and have a spare 1st rounder to get that Franchise QB. 

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Sam Darnold went from unknown to number 1 pick after one game.  Im not sure Darnold will be the number 1 pick next year.  Hes got a lot to prove next year.

Iunno, maybe taking an inexperienced USC QB will go different this time. The key is believing. 

13 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Iunno, maybe taking an inexperienced USC QB will go different this time. The key is believing. 

I'd agree that USC QBs have a bad history Jets not withstanding, but he wont have the inexperienced label by the end of next year. Let's be glad we will have more game tap for evaluation.

8 hours ago, thadude said:

Draft a safety at 6 and I guarantee we get Darnold

The Jets are likely going to blow this year no matter who they draft.  This is a deep draft.  The Jets should try to trade down and pick up as many good young players as possible so that when they pick Darnold next year, he'll be surrounded by lots of good young players.

20 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

The Jets are likely going to blow this year no matter who they draft.  This is a deep draft.  The Jets should try to trade down and pick up as many good young players as possible so that when they pick Darnold next year, he'll be surrounded by lots of good young players.

Macc has already announced to the league that the Jets are holding a fire sale on all their picks.  IMO that means they are going to try to gather as many of the top 200 picks as they can.

Or

It's a smoke screen, and they have  a player targeted at 6...............stay tuned

Just curious...

So Trubisky started 13 games and people are skeptical about him because of his inexperience.  Darnold started the same amount of games, and people are convinced he's the QB we need next year so let's tank this season? I know he'll be playing more games this year, but without seeing those games, why are people so convinced about them after the same amount of games started? Didn't Trubisky play the previous two years as well? Maybe not starting, but he did play.  I guess I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the "Suck for Sam" movement by some.

Are we winning the Superbowl this year? No. In that case, lose all the games if you have to secure #1 pick next year. I am tired of mediocrity. I want a winning Jets team year in year out. I can sacrifice one fvcking year for that. 0-16, here we come. 

I can see Justin Herbert, Oregon's second year QB being a first round pick in 2018 or '19.  He's got great size and arm strength.  Also put up good numbers for an absolutely terrible team.  He broke the all-time single game yardage record and that is something even Marcus Mariota couldn't do.  I don't know much about what kind of offense Willie Taggart plans to run this year but I've heard it's similar to the Saint's playbook.  Might be a plus if Morton is still on the staff. 

Any team that openly declares it is losing on purpose would incur a lot of wrath from the league and other owners. It hardly makes for a compelling product. And do you think free agents are going to want to come play for us? Even draft picks may have second thoughts ... just imagine, we tank on purpose, get the #1 pick for Darnold, and he holds out on us to force a trade.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, flgreen said:

Macc has already announced to the league that the Jets are holding a fire sale on all their picks.  IMO that means they are going to try to gather as many of the top 200 picks as they can.

Or

It's a smoke screen, and they have  a player targeted at 6...............stay tuned

I actually think that the Jets are actually in a good position to trade down.  There will be guys there that other teams will want to trade up for.

16 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

I actually think that the Jets are actually in a good position to trade down.  There will be guys there that other teams will want to trade up for.

In all honesty I hope your right.  A trade down in this draft is the way to go.  Think this is going to be a very difficult draft to get fair value for in a trade down.

It's a good draft in that it is very deep through the first 3 rounds.  Problem is there are very few "superstar" type talent in the early part of the draft.  Particularly QB's, which is what teams are willing to give the farm up for.  At most positions it appears that it is hard to tell who is going to be the best value.  Arguably the players in the tail end of the first round have just as much chance of being an impact player, as the players in the top of the first round.

Jets best hope is that someone has fallen in love with the potential of one of the QB's.  Really don't know who that would be, or why, but I hope it happens

On 4/15/2017 at 3:24 PM, DetroitRed said:

Please go 1-15

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2017 Regular Season  2-14

Falcons Atlanta Falcons  BLOWOUT 
MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ

Bills Buffalo Bills  Win

Panthers Carolina Panthers   Loss

Jaguars Jacksonville Jaguars  win

Chiefs Kansas City Chiefs  BLOWOUT

Chargers Los Angeles Chargers Loss

Dolphins Miami Dolphins  Loss

Patriots New England Patriots   Loss

Bills at Buffalo Bills  Loss

Browns at Cleveland Browns  Loss

Broncos at Denver  BLOWOUT  
  Dolphins at Miami Dolphins Loss  
  Patriots

at New England BLOWOUT

Saints at New Orleans Saints Loss

Raiders at Oakland Raiders BLOWOUT  
  Buccaneers

at Tampa Bay  BLOWOUT

5 minutes ago, Powpow said:

2017 Regular Season  2-14

Falcons Atlanta Falcons  BLOWOUT 

Bills Buffalo Bills  Win

Panthers Carolina Panthers   Loss

Jaguars Jacksonville Jaguars  win

Chiefs Kansas City Chiefs  BLOWOUT

Chargers Los Angeles Chargers Loss

Dolphins Miami Dolphins  Loss

Patriots New England Patriots   Loss

Bills at Buffalo Bills  Loss

Browns at Cleveland Browns  Loss

Broncos at Denver  BLOWOUT  
  Dolphins at Miami Dolphins Loss  
  Patriots

at New England BLOWOUT

Saints at New Orleans Saints Loss

Raiders at Oakland Raiders BLOWOUT  
  Buccaneers

at Tampa Bay  BLOWOUT

Image result for crying gifs

9 hours ago, jamesr said:

Any team that openly declares it is losing on purpose would incur a lot of wrath from the league and other owners. It hardly makes for a compelling product. And do you think free agents are going to want to come play for us? Even draft picks may have second thoughts ... just imagine, we tank on purpose, get the #1 pick for Darnold, and he holds out on us to force a trade.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Never happen in NY. 

Archived