should jets position themselves for Sam Darnold, other top QBs in 2018 ? ? ?

kelly

21 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

Are we winning the Superbowl this year? No. In that case, lose all the games if you have to secure #1 pick next year. I am tired of mediocrity. I want a winning Jets team year in year out. I can sacrifice one fvcking year for that. 0-16, here we come. 

Someone here knows the score!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, Powpow said:

2017 Regular Season  2-14

Falcons Atlanta Falcons  BLOWOUT 
MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ

Bills Buffalo Bills  Win

Panthers Carolina Panthers   Loss

Jaguars Jacksonville Jaguars  win

Chiefs Kansas City Chiefs  BLOWOUT

Chargers Los Angeles Chargers Loss

Dolphins Miami Dolphins  Loss

Patriots New England Patriots   Loss

Bills at Buffalo Bills  Loss

Browns at Cleveland Browns  Loss

Broncos at Denver  BLOWOUT  
  Dolphins at Miami Dolphins Loss  
  Patriots

at New England BLOWOUT

Saints at New Orleans Saints Loss

Raiders at Oakland Raiders BLOWOUT  
  Buccaneers

at Tampa Bay  BLOWOUT

So much for a bad season guaranteeing you a cushy schedule the next year.  Well at least we are in full on tank mode.

Sucking for Sam....Kinda funny seeing as there were threads here wanting the jets to do the very same thing only it was TANK FOR WATSON. So funny. There were even some wanting TANK FOR KAYAA.
So we're here and now that we are in place to take our Savior no one wants them. Classic. Go one step further...Let's suck completely tank (which won't happen players need to play well for contracts and staying on the roster) your saviour Darnold could see how horrible a situation he is going to and decide not to declare or pull an Eli or Vick move and refuse to play for the jets even if drafted. Come on its the jets ...sh*t happens.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

55 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

Sucking for Sam....Kinda funny seeing as there were threads here wanting the jets to do the very same thing only it was TANK FOR WATSON. So funny. There were even some wanting TANK FOR KAYAA.
So we're here and now that we are in place to take our Savior no one wants them. Classic. Go one step further...Let's suck completely tank (which won't happen players need to play well for contracts and staying on the roster) your saviour Darnold could see how horrible a situation he is going to and decide not to declare or pull an Eli or Vick move and refuse to play for the jets even if drafted. Come on its the jets ...sh*t happens.

LMAO at this guy comparing Kayaa and Watson to Darnold. I love guys like you that follow college football twice a year and think that just because a few idiots suggested we tank for watson or Kayaa (for what it's worth I don't recall seeing that and if it happened it was likely one dumb poster). Meanwhile, Darnold is universally regarded as a can't miss/next Andrew Luck type prospect which is why you are seeing TONS of posters wanting us to tank for Darnold. 

In addition, tanking for a QB the year after winning 10 games should have established that whoever suggested that we should tank for Watson/Kayaa were morons. This team is awful anyway, with zero chance at a SB. So why win 6 games, when you can set yourself up for 2 or 3 wins and guarantee a shot a stud QB. Even if Darnold turns out to be a bust (which he won't), there is still INSANE value in getting the number 1 pick next year. The crop of QBs next year are all more highly regarded than this years crop. Just look at who is leading this years crop of QB, a 1 year starter in Trubisky. 

It isnt just Darnold. Even though he is who I would want to draft the most. Being in position for Rosen, Allen, Rudolph, all who are very good prospects who can be a top 10 pick with good 2017 seasons.

I think they are all better prospects than any QB in this or last years draft. 

LMAO at this guy comparing Kayaa and Watson to Darnold. I love guys like you that follow college football twice a year and think that just because a few idiots suggested we tank for watson or Kayaa (for what it's worth I don't recall seeing that and if it happened it was likely one dumb poster). Meanwhile, Darnold is universally regarded as a can't miss/next Andrew Luck type prospect which is why you are seeing TONS of posters wanting us to tank for Darnold. 

In addition, tanking for a QB the year after winning 10 games should have established that whoever suggested that we should tank for Watson/Kayaa were morons. This team is awful anyway, with zero chance at a SB. So why win 6 games, when you can set yourself up for 2 or 3 wins and guarantee a shot a stud QB. Even if Darnold turns out to be a bust (which he won't), there is still INSANE value in getting the number 1 pick next year. The crop of QBs next year are all more highly regarded than this years crop. Just look at who is leading this years crop of QB, a 1 year starter in Trubisky. 

I rarely watch college football. I'm sorry I can't state I have the knowledge you have and I'm just going by what I saw in forums regarding tanking threads and oh yes there were. In no way did I say there was similar value in the Watson/Kayaa to Darnold. But the very notion people think we're going to "tank" is outright ridiculous. Putting McCown in will help the cause even if he was putting effort into it with his past 3 years only mustering 2 wins to 20 losses. So yes that would help a great deal in getting a better pick but get a grip on reality. Every vet we cut made little to no positive impact last year. Getting rid of Revis probably is addition by subtraction as he literally lost us 1-2 games. That goes for Chan Gaily as well. Do you really think our new OC in his first gig is going to throw every game. How about Kevin Greene our new Linebacker Coach...You think he's going to try to help the defence play as lame as possible. I guarantee you if they implement a better running game and give Powell a bigger roll we will be more productive. I'm not saying we will have a winning record by any means. But 5-6 wins is not out of the question. Playing Buffalo 2 games a year alone gives us a good chance at 2 wins right off the bat. Our coach is playing for his job this season...No way in hell do we tank.

2 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I do not believe in tanking.

How old are you?

At age 38 now, there's a real possibility I may die before the Jets have a franchise QB.  

Average life expectancy is what, 75 now?  I'm more than halfway there.  

I can deal with tanking one year.  It's decades of not having a QB I'd prefer not dealing with.

If they legitimately show effort yet come out with a 1-15 record I'm fine with that. I don't wanna see the same piss poor team that looked like a high school football team last year. If the young guys show progress and build chemistry that is what I believe a win without the winning season. The Browns ended up with the first pick but their team showed effort each week. If we can do that and end up with the worst record in football lm in.

21 hours ago, Powpow said:

2017 Regular Season  2-14

Falcons Atlanta Falcons  BLOWOUT 

Bills Buffalo Bills  Win

Panthers Carolina Panthers   Loss

Jaguars Jacksonville Jaguars  win

Chiefs Kansas City Chiefs  BLOWOUT

Chargers Los Angeles Chargers Loss

Dolphins Miami Dolphins  Loss

Patriots New England Patriots   Loss

Bills at Buffalo Bills  Loss

Browns at Cleveland Browns  Loss

Broncos at Denver  BLOWOUT  
  Dolphins at Miami Dolphins Loss  
  Patriots

at New England BLOWOUT

Saints at New Orleans Saints Loss

Raiders at Oakland Raiders BLOWOUT  
  Buccaneers

at Tampa Bay  BLOWOUT

hello..

Sam-Darnold-with-byline-845x321-14908147

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

Amazing some people keep point out Darnold like he's some god.  I can show you a couple of throws/decisions that scare me big time and I was just spending time watching guys like McKinley and Moreau with UCLA.  

Right now it sounds all great but the microscope will be on him and by the time next year comes around, it's very likely and possible that he's not the guaranteed top pick.  Basically something similar happens every year, especially at the QB position.  

You can't just decide to tank, mainly becuase teams never tank.  If Bowles is even a decent coach (and I think he is) then he's gonna have this team winning 4 games again.  People can complain but you can't blame the guy for trying like hell to keep his job.

Trubisky is a top 10 NFL Qb in my mind, I'd do everything possible to draft him because you don't know how long it will be until another one is a possibility.

6 hours ago, Komba said:

Amazing some people keep point out Darnold like he's some god.  I can show you a couple of throws/decisions that scare me big time and I was just spending time watching guys like McKinley and Moreau with UCLA.  

Right now it sounds all great but the microscope will be on him and by the time next year comes around, it's very likely and possible that he's not the guaranteed top pick.  Basically something similar happens every year, especially at the QB position.  

You can't just decide to tank, mainly becuase teams never tank.  If Bowles is even a decent coach (and I think he is) then he's gonna have this team winning 4 games again.  People can complain but you can't blame the guy for trying like hell to keep his job.

Trubisky is a top 10 NFL Qb in my mind, I'd do everything possible to draft him because you don't know how long it will be until another one is a possibility.

Obviously this team will not tank before the season starts, but you can rebuild (not sign high priced vets to fill glaring needs) and if Darnold is looking great in college (which I assume he will) and you are 1-6, you can be creative and insure a 1-15 season as opposed to being creative and finding a way to finish 4-12.

I am pretty sure that those of you that are skeptical of Darnold will be signing a different tune next year.  

57 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Obviously this team will not tank before the season starts, but you can rebuild (not sign high priced vets to fill glaring needs) and if Darnold is looking great in college (which I assume he will) and you are 1-6, you can be creative and insure a 1-15 season as opposed to being creative and finding a way to finish 4-12.

I am pretty sure that those of you that are skeptical of Darnold will be signing a different tune next year.  

Isn't he only going to be a sophomore? No guarantees he comes out after his sophomore year, depending on how it goes. He could elect to stay in and play his junior year.  You never know.

13 minutes ago, KSJets said:

Isn't he only going to be a sophomore? No guarantees he comes out after his sophomore year, depending on how it goes. He could elect to stay in and play his junior year.  You never know.

True, but not many guys pass on being the number one pick. Luck and Peyton are the two big names that come to mind. 

If you tank for Darnold and he doesn't come out, what do you lose? We'd still get the best player coming out of college. That player could still be a QB (Rosen) or a franchise Left tackle. Going all out for this year gets you 6-10? Maybe. How's that better for this franchise??

True, but not many guys pass on being the number one pick. Luck and Peyton are the two big names that come to mind. 
If you tank for Darnold and he doesn't come out, what do you lose? We'd still get the best player coming out of college. That player could still be a QB (Rosen) or a franchise Left tackle. Going all out for this year gets you 6-10? Maybe. How's that better for this franchise??

It may not be better for the franchise true and yes they could figure out creative ways to lose but on a personal level tanking is not going to be good for players and coaches livelihood. Wilkerson in all likelihood could be cut next year with a poor showing. Think he is going to just hope it's all good when he sucks after the seasons over. Same with Claiborne as he is on a prove it 1year deal. Todd Bowles I'm certain is going to be fired unless he shows some sort of positives and that probably includes a few wins same goes for Mac to a degree.
If this team puts out an effort but manages a win or two that's fine. But don't lay an egg every week.

10 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What do we lose?  How bout another year of our lives while we get to watch another Giants-Pats Super Bowl

16 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

No QB is worth the 6 pick.  This draft is not deep at qb.  I'd rather not waste another pick on a qb til next year when we know what we now have sucks.  

agreed !.. we should " tank " this season   B)

in this year's draft i'm hopin' for...

1) Marshon Lattimore
2) David Njoku
3) Charles Harris

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

Archived