Dear Jets, please don't F... this up!

Fibonacci

First things first. You aren't winning anything without a franchise QB in today's NFL. If you don't have a franchise QB, you will not win anything and you will end up picking in the middle of the pack if you force your hand. 

Let's look at the current Jets team. Are we looking like contenders next year? No we aren't. We aren't winning the Superbowl this year. If so, why force the issue? 

Is there any clear cut franchise QB in this year's draft ala Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck? No! Again, why force the issue to be a 5-11 or 6-10 team AGAIN!

Are there any such QB's in next year's draft? Yes. Plenty. From Darnold to Rosen we will have at least 2 or 3 viable QB candidates similar to 2004 draft. 

Simple logic. Traded away your picks this year for a first and second round picks next year and tank this year. Dump all toxic contracts this year and start fresh next year with the #1 pick in your hands. 

Strategy and Operations god damn it. Every successful company have long term goals and action plans to support the goal. Dear Jets brass, you seem to be acting like chicken with no heads for a long time now. It is time to establish your long terms goals and proceed accordingly. If you are too dumb, here is the blueprint. 

1) Let next year go and trade away your 6th pick for a multiple picks for this year and next year.(A first this year and next year is a must)

2) Let go overpriced vets and use this year to clean up your payroll. Only keep players with upside for future years.

3) Tank properly. Let Bowles go if he tries to get in the way. You can find a decent coach any year but you can't find a franchise QB every year. Let Bowles go if he sabotages this team for #1 pick next year. 

4) Tell your plan to fans to manage expectations properly. Stop saving the day with mediocre results. We are tired of 7-9, 6-10 seasons. Give us a 1-15, 2-14 for God's sake. 

5) Lastly, don't let Bowles to fvck this team's future to save his ass. 

Rant over. Bring it on. No I don't have shame. No I don't mind Jets losing every game for a year. It has been almost 50 years and we haven't won jack sh*t. Let's tank properly this time. Maybe this will make a difference in the end. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • There is a 0% chance the Jets will get the # 1 pick next year.
  • I agree with Macc's approach.
  • I don't agree that there aren't any franchise QBs in the draft.
  • They already dumped all the toxic contracts. All that is left is Sheldon and they are trying to get a pick back for him.
  • The Jets under Macc have a good long term plan in place. They have a ton of cap room next year. They got rid of just about every veteran and have tons of young competition.
  • If Macc likes the player at 6 you have to make the pick. You can't make a blankey statement that it must be traded, even if you are open to it (which they are)>

Bears got to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman.

Ravens won th Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer.

Bucs won th Super Bowl with Brad Johnson.

Rich Gannon took the Raiders to the Super Bowlin his 15th year after being considered a JAG his ENTIRE career

10 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Bears got to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman. - 10 years ago

Ravens won th Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer. - 17 years ago

Bucs won th Super Bowl with Brad Johnson. - 14 years ago

Rich Gannon took the Raiders to the Super Bowlin his 15th year after being considered a JAG his ENTIRE career

I hear you. But this isn't the same NFL anymore. 

6 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

I agree. But you don't need a super star  The Green Arrow Accurracy QB either.  The JOKES that draw yellow handkerchiefs these days DO NOT emphasize a STUD QB. Just chuck it up and let your boy draw the flag while getting up to go get it. Refs will throw the yellow rag on ANY contact.

The KEY to a 2017 trade down is that the Jets recoup a 2018 1st rounder for the QB lottery that hasn't been this big since 1999 .......where DA BEARS and Bungles missed out out on the Great QB Draft of '99 that yielded: Tim Couch, Donny McNabb, Akili Smith, Cade Mccown, Dante Culpepper, and Shaun King in the 2nd.

This idea that the Jets are definitely going to have the 1st pick next year is fantasy. Find a QB to play average football & they'll easily win 5-6 games.

Hell, Clairborne is a better CB RIGHT NOW than the over the hill, mailed it in Revis. Anyone they find to replace Gilchrist will probably be better as I've always thought he was soft, overrated, and way overpaid. The Oline was riddled with injury last year & ended last quarter of the season with 1 starter left from opening day vs the Bengals.

Burris, Lee, Jenkins, Simon, Leo, Mauldin, Anderson, Peake, Enunwa, will all most likely be BETTER than they were last year as each NFL camp youngsters gain a ton of experience, know what's expected of them them, and hone their game instead of trying to find their way. The over analyzation of NFL football has fogged the reality that drafts truly can't be graded after 1 year or 2 years, sure some guys stand out immediately but it's a different game when stepping up to the NFL from college.

Look at the progression of a player like the UDFA Malcom Butler in New England. You guys would have cut him in his 1st year, lol. We have some young guys that we know nothing about yet. You cant quantify heart & dedication in this league, many a prima donna have been beaten out by guys that just outworked them. 

6 hours ago, Maxman said:
  • They already dumped all the toxic contracts. All that is left is Sheldon and they are trying to get a pick back for him.
  • The Jets under Macc have a good long term plan in place. They have a ton of cap room next year. They got rid of just about every veteran and have tons of young competition.
  • If Macc likes the player at 6 you have to make the pick. You can't make a blankey statement that it must be traded, even if you are open to it (which they are)>

Very well put. That's the bottom line.....if you love a guy at your pick, take him.

The suck for Sam thing is just not going to happen. As has been stated in this thread and many times by many others the Jets will not have the worst record in this league next year. With their schedule they will come close but I believe the Browns and maybe the Niners are just a little worse. What we need to do this year is develop and evaluate  the young guys on this roster and those they draft. I support the path they are taking but I am a little skeptical of Mac's ability to evaluate talent when it comes to the draft. I hope he proves me wrong.

I think Watson will be a solid QB in this league. I also like Peterman as well. If the Jets land either one this year I will be happy. I just want them too pay attention to the offensive side of the ball with the first 2 picks. They have to get some 1st or 2nd round talent at the skill positions. Of course the guy has to worthy of the pick as well. They look to be on the right track and I fully expect some of the other vets to be gone before the season starts. This is going to be a rough season guys. It will make for a high volume post year for this site as well.

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

"Young competition," you say? 

Correct. The NFL has transformed into a pass happy league with some complimentary aspect of a running game being all that is required.

The NFL has also changed the parameters of the draft; gone are the days when a high 1st rd DP QB cost you the pick PLUS $50+ million in cap money. Used to be you drafted a QB in the top 10 and you were wedded at the hip for the next 4-5 yrs, and that's not the case anymore....which is good for a team searching for a required NFL QB like us.

Face it, 6 is no mans land...just like it was when Gholston was our only 'respectable' option. Drafting an only average NFL player at 6 at any position other than QB, LT or edge rusher is a waste IMO. We're in the unique position of possibly having our pick of the QB crop this year and if Mac thinks any of those guys has an even 50-50 shot of being a good QB in the NFL he shouldn't hesitate at all in taking them, draft gurus be damned.

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

The suck for Sam thing is just not going to happen. As has been stated in this thread and many times by many others the Jets will not have the worst record in this league next year. With their schedule they will come close but I believe the Browns and maybe the Niners are just a little worse. What we need to do this year is develop and evaluate  the young guys on this roster and those they draft. I support the path they are taking but I am a little skeptical of Mac's ability to evaluate talent when it comes to the draft. I hope he proves me wrong.

I think Watson will be a solid QB in this league. I also like Peterman as well. If the Jets land either one this year I will be happy. I just want them too pay attention to the offensive side of the ball with the first 2 picks. They have to get some 1st or 2nd round talent at the skill positions. Of course the guy has to worthy of the pick as well. They look to be on the right track and I fully expect some of the other vets to be gone before the season starts. This is going to be a rough season guys. It will make for a high volume post year for this site as well.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think the Browns are better than the Jets. 

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

0%, really?  The Jets are a bad team with no QB.  They most definitely have a chance at #1 next year.  

McCown is something like 2-24 in his last 3 seasons. I'm counting on him staying true to trends, and Bowles being hyperstubborn and keep playing him until he gets fired. Then Hack comes in and looks meh going 0-3.

That should get us a crack at Darnold. That's my Easter prayer.

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

This idea that the Jets are definitely going to have the 1st pick next year is fantasy. Find a QB to play average football & they'll easily win 5-6 games.

Hell, Clairborne is a better CB RIGHT NOW than the over the hill, mailed it in Revis. Anyone they find to replace Gilchrist will probably be better as I've always thought he was soft, overrated, and way overpaid. The Oline was riddled with injury last year & ended last quarter of the season with 1 starter left from opening day vs the Bengals.

Burris, Lee, Jenkins, Simon, Leo, Mauldin, Anderson, Peake, Enunwa, will all most likely be BETTER than they were last year as each NFL camp youngsters gain a ton of experience, know what's expected of them them, and hone their game instead of trying to find their way. The over analyzation of NFL football has fogged the reality that drafts truly can't be graded after 1 year or 2 years, sure some guys stand out immediately but it's a different game when stepping up to the NFL from college.

Look at the progression of a player like the UDFA Malcom Butler in New England. You guys would have cut him in his 1st year, lol. We have some young guys that we know nothing about yet. You cant quantify heart & dedication in this league, many a prima donna have been beaten out by guys that just outworked them. 

Lee and Anderson's potential have me really excited going into next season.  I think they both take major steps forward in their progression.

1 hour ago, IntoTheGreen said:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think the Browns are better than the Jets. 

The Browns are also going to look 10x better after this draft.  They have a lot of picks in a loaded draft.  Look for a quick turnaround for these guys if they get the QB and he progresses properly.  I like what Hue Jackson is doing over there.

4 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

Lee and Anderson's potential have me really excited going into next season.  I think they both take major steps forward in their progression.

Burris made some plays last year, Jenkins has potential as a very solid hold the edge LB, and my surprise player in 2017 is Charone Peake. He was coming back from an injury in college, he has good height, speed & hands. 

I see him as an endzone stud. These young guys at the end of the roster don't get the reps everyone else gets. With Brandon gone, Decker working back from injury, Jalen Marshall suspended, Peake has a WIDE OPEN path to open John Mortons eyes so he can put him on the path to success.

I know there are a lot of Macc doubters here but if Hackenberg or Petty turn into NFL QBs we'll be lauding this guy for a long time. Jury is still out.

Saying definitively there isn't a QB in this draft is ridiculous.  It's such a crap shoot.  

In my opinion you keep taking the best QB you possibly can in the draft until you find one - and when you find him you have 15 years to build a team around him.  

You don't want to hope to make a run with a good defense and running game and then suck for 10 years again.  You want to be competitive year in and year out for a decade.  

6 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

1. Jets are as likely to have the worst record as are the 49ers or Browns.  The Jets will be at or near the bottom.

2. Watson is crap shoot with that weak arm of his.  

3. Don't be surprised if the best pick at #6 is an edge rusher.  

Bears got to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman.
Ravens won th Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer.
Bucs won th Super Bowl with Brad Johnson.

Brady won 5
The mannings have won 4 combined
Rodgers 1
Flacco 1
A mediocre qb is one thing we can't take one just to take one and hope that he is good enough.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

McCown is something like 2-24 in his last 3 seasons. I'm counting on him staying true to trends, and Bowles being hyperstubborn and keep playing him until he gets fired. Then Hack comes in and looks meh going 0-3.

That should get us a crack at Darnold. That's my Easter prayer.

You can't play it safe forever.   Sooner or later the Jets are going to have to let the young guys sink or swim regardless of he aging veteran they have on the sidelines.  

The truth is very college QBs are NFL ready anymore so by definition that means carefully grooming someone and then letting them sink or swim on their own merits. 

Not letting QBs get game action is crazy IMO. 

But lets see what happens.    

15 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Jets are winning 8 games at least so half the league.

Not if our GM cuts out the legs from the HC.  There is nothing wrong with tanking on purpose. Nothing. It is in our best interests long term to do it. So why wouldn't we? Because some of the players won't like it? Ha. They quit on the team last season. Why should anybody care about what they want?  Because the media will attack us? Who cares? They are going to do that anyway. Should we not do it for the sake of competition and fair play? HA. NFL sold off the integrity of the game long ago. The NFL created a system to help the have nots get better, and we're supposed to scratch and claw our way up the list to avoid the one thing that will actually help us get better. That's stupid. THROW EVERY DAMN GAME.

Like it or not, the NFL is the new NBA. Luckily for us we can actually still manipulate the draft order and not have to worry about the number of ping pong balls in the bin. To not do so would be idiotic.

Archived