Dear Jets, please don't F... this up!

Fibonacci

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Scouting Report on Deshaun Watson. Scroll all the way down for the whole thing. A tough kid with skills. Has some flaws but they are coach able flaws. Worth a shot.

e4882e40-215b-11e7-80f0-717d71232e6b_dan
Scroll back up to restore default view.

Shutdown Corner is counting down the top 50 prospects in the 2017 NFL draft with a scouting report, quotes from NFL evaluators and a projection where they might be drafted.

17. Clemson QB Deshaun Watson
6-foot-2, 221 pounds

Key stat: Accounted for 116 touchdowns (90 passing, 26 rushing) and 41 turnovers (34 INTs, seven fumbles) in 38 college games (35 starts).

The skinny: Raised by a single mother (who survived oral cancer when Deshaun was in high school) with three siblings, living in a Habitat For Humanity house presented by former Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back Warrick Dunn. Started four years in high school, committed to Clemson as a sophomore and led his school to its first state title in more than a century. Watson stuck with his commitment despite nearly every school in the country continuing to recruit him and seeing his recruiting rankings rise to elite levels.

View photos

Clemson QB Deshaun Watson is one of the most decorated college quarterbacks in recent college history. (AP)

Enrolled at Clemson and started five games as a true freshman, suffering a broken throwing hand, a sprained MCL, a bone bruise in his knee and a torn ACL that cur his season short. Still managed to play through the injuries — including the ACL — in a win over rival South Carolina before having season-ending surgery before the bowl game. Started 15 games the next season (despite missing all of spring practice) for the national runners-up and was a Heisman Trophy finalist.

Finishing second in the Heisman voting in 2016, Watson — who was named a team captain as a junior — led the Tigers to a national championship, beating the Alabama team that had defeated him in the BCS title game the year prior with a TD drive that was capped in the waning seconds, being named game MVP. Watson won countless awards in his decorated career and declared early for the 2017 NFL draft after completing his degree in three years. He will turn 22 in September.

Best-suited destination: Among all the quarterbacks in the 2017 class, Watson is most equipped to step in quickly and handle the speed, talent and mental requirements of most NFL systems. He likely would flourish best in a rhythm passing offense or West Coast-type system that also sprinkles in read-option and RPO plays into the game plan. Among the teams that could be especially interested in Watson’s services include the Buffalo Bills, Los Angeles Chargers, San Francisco 49ers, Cleveland Browns, Houston Texans, Chicago Bears, Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Chargers, New York Giants, New York Jets or Pittsburgh Steelers.

Upside: Incredibly mentally and physically tough. Mature and grounded. Driven to be great. Work ethic is off the charts. Strong character. Handles adversity well and never looks panicked on the field. Won more than 90 percent of his games (32-3 record as starter) and raised his game on the biggest of stages. Threw for 825 yards and 7-1 TD-INT ratio in two title-game appearances against Bama, coming back to win one. Usually puts the ball where it needs to be. Shows very nice touch downfield and throws a very catchable, tight pass. Smooth throwing motion without too much unnecessary movement or hitch, even while on the move. Quick release. Sets his feet well and quickly most of the time.

Wasn’t always asked to make NFL-caliber progressions, but is he able to? Absolutely. Even though the TV copy doesn’t fully show it, Watson manipulates Ohio State S Malik Hooker with his eyes by looking to the other side of the field before going down the left sideline with the pass. Never mind the pass being slightly overthrown — this is good stuff here:

View photos

Deshaun Watson moves the Ohio State safety with his eyes beautifully, even though the pass is slightly overthrown. (Draftbreakdown.com, via YouTube)

Another terrific progression read — and an example of toughness — as Watson releases the pass at the final second … to probably his third option on the play against North Carolina State:

View photos

Here Watson goes through his reads until he finds an open defender. (Draftbreakdown.com, via YouTube)

Smart, instinctive runner who can mentally defeat a defense with 9-yard scramble on 3rd-and-8. Great athleticism for the position. Also can pooch punt effectively. Added 15 pounds of muscle prior to junior season to better withstand hits.

Downside: Arm strength is average at best. Doesn’t always have the zip to fit passes into quickly closing windows or rip the deep out. Registered a combine-worst 49 mph max on his passes, which also was one of the lowest maximums in recent years. Operated in shotgun, pass-happy, screen-heavy, half-field-read offense with top-tier skill-position talent. Had many passes batted down at the line, especially with three-quarters motion. Threw 30 interceptions in his past 30 games. Will lock in on primary target and let defensive backs read his eyes too easily, as seen against Pitt:

View photos

Deshaun Watson can stare down his receivers, as this led to an easy Pitt INT. (Draftbreakdown.com, via YouTube)

Here’s another case of Watson (just before the play above against NC State) staring down his receiver and failing to recognize the underneath defender staring right back at him:

View photos

Watson doesn’t see the North Carolina State defender and throws it right to him. (Draftbreakdown.com, via YouTube)

Watson also must learn not to lead his receivers too much and leave them vulnerable to stalking safeties.

Scouting hot take: “I watched every game this year and charted him with 11 [of his 17] interceptions on him, the other ones on his receivers. He needs some work, but it’s stuff we can teach him. There’s a lot to like. You know he’s going to work. If you want a rah-rah leader, our [scouts] say that’s not him. But if you are OK with the Eli Manning personality, which works fine in this league by the way, then you go get him and just give him time. He hasn’t worked from under center and little things like that; we’d need to work with his eyes a little. But he’s got what you want.” — AFC quarterbacks coach

Player comp: Elements of Alex Smith and Marcus Mariota

Expected draft range: First-round pick

41 turnovers in 38 games. Yikes

23 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Agreed. Getting rid of high draft picks is a solid way to ensure that we get some talent on this roster.

I know, right?

Who the hell knows where we'll pick next year. This year we're at 6 and there will no doubt be very talented players available,players who could be among the top 5 players on the roster when they walk in the door.

You get offered an obviously impressive trade offer, do it. If not, BPA at pick number 6 and don't whiff.

29 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

41 turnovers in 38 games. Yikes

It's definitely a concern, and one of the bigger reasons why I think Trubisky is ahead of Watson.

My issue with Watson is the accuracy sometimes struggles. (And please.... Nobody cite completion percentage as a good metric for accuracy because it's not).  Even on completions, Watson slightly misses the target and that causes the receiver to give up any chance of getting yards after the catch.

Where Watson is exciting, is that he has the best feet. His feet are so good that it allows him to get in good position to throw the ball. He's also good with reads, and pocket awareness although I again think Trubisky is in the highest level of elite when it comes to those things.

I'll be begging this draft for us to end up with Trubisky, because he's going to save whatever franchise he goes to.  I think that highly of him after watching so many games so many times.  Watson is a question mark where I could see it working, and I could see him just be a marginal NFL QB.  Like a scenario with him turning into something similar to Alex Smith is very possible and that isn't good enough.  

I don't see Mahomes, Kizer, Peterman, and Webb turning into anything good in the NFL for different reasons.  Mahomes the only remote possibility of being able to create enough big plays on a team with a great defense.

13 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Registered a combine-worst 49 mph max on his passes, which also was one of the lowest maximums in recent years.

I really like this kid.  I really wanted him to be the guy we hope will be the QB for many years to come but this right here is a deal breaker for me at #6.  He has all the intangibles but playing in the winter at Metlife is not an ideal spot for a weak arm.  I don't remember who was the last weak armed QB to win a SB (I'm sure some one will let me know).  I'm good with one of the safeties at #6 and I won't even mind Fournette because you get what looks like a stud RB and then hopefully next draft we can get a QB that has more promise than Watson and Trubisky.  We could be set at RB and QB for many years if that happens.

If we do draft him, I will root really hard for him to succeed as of course we all should but I really don't think #6 is a good grab for him. 

On 4/16/2017 at 11:13 AM, adb280z said:

0%, really?  The Jets are a bad team with no QB.  They most definitely have a chance at #1 next year.  

If there are at least 3 franchise QBs next year, why do we need the #1 pick? Especially if the Browns pick Trubisky at #12. Won't we be OK if we are in the top 3? Gather picks this year with a trade down or two and stockpile young players. Next year we can grab a QB IF Hack isn't the guy.

On 4/16/2017 at 9:19 AM, greenwave81 said:

Correct. The NFL has transformed into a pass happy league with some complimentary aspect of a running game being all that is required.

The NFL has also changed the parameters of the draft; gone are the days when a high 1st rd DP QB cost you the pick PLUS $50+ million in cap money. Used to be you drafted a QB in the top 10 and you were wedded at the hip for the next 4-5 yrs, and that's not the case anymore....which is good for a team searching for a required NFL QB like us.

Face it, 6 is no mans land...just like it was when Gholston was our only 'respectable' option. Drafting an only average NFL player at 6 at any position other than QB, LT or edge rusher is a waste IMO. We're in the unique position of possibly having our pick of the QB crop this year and if Mac thinks any of those guys has an even 50-50 shot of being a good QB in the NFL he shouldn't hesitate at all in taking them, draft gurus be damned.

Wait, so is the 6th pick no man's land where we can't get the top LT, QB or edge rusher prospect, or are you saying we are in a unique position to draft the top QB of our choice? Which one is it? 

The 6th pick IS NOT no man's land, not by any means. The Jets could very well have the opportunity to draft Barnett- the #2 edge rusher behind Garrett- who will almost certainly go #1 overall. They could very well have their pick of QB. They could have their pick of O-lineman- including LT. They could have their pick of offensive skill player (including possibly Fournette but also Williams, or Cook) OR they could trade down, b/c as it happens, they are in a unique position where a top 5 talent could slip top them and be used as trade bait (including the top QB prospect). And, as it turns out, if all QBs are still on the board, the Browns would be great trade partners- with both sides benefiting from a trade (Bronws having no QB and a ton of draft picks, Jets needing more draft picks and 2 young, unproven QBs on the roster).     

Just saying. 6th pick is NOT no mans land, not in this draft. And despite Gholston turning out to be a bust, there were PLENTY of scouts that felt he could end up being a dominant pass rusher. I remember that draft and I remember the hype, it was not only coming from the Jets. Plenty of teams were drooling over him.   

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Wait, so is the 6th pick no man's land where we can't get the top LT, QB or edge rusher prospect, or are you saying we are in a unique position to draft the top QB of our choice? Which one is it? 

The 6th pick IS NOT no man's land, not by any means. The Jets could very well have the opportunity to draft Barnett- the #2 edge rusher behind Garrett- who will almost certainly go #1 overall. They could very well have their pick of QB. They could have their pick of O-lineman- including LT. They could have their pick of offensive skill player (including possibly Fournette but also Williams, or Cook) OR they could trade down, b/c as it happens, they are in a unique position where a top 5 talent could slip top them and be used as trade bait (including the top QB prospect). And, as it turns out, if all QBs are still on the board, the Browns would be great trade partners- with both sides benefiting from a trade (Bronws having no QB and a ton of draft picks, Jets needing more draft picks and 2 young, unproven QBs on the roster).     

Just saying. 6th pick is NOT no mans land, not in this draft. And despite Gholston turning out to be a bust, there were PLENTY of scouts that felt he could end up being a dominant pass rusher. I remember that draft and I remember the hype, it was not only coming from the Jets. Plenty of teams were drooling over him.   

i agree that #6 is not 'no man's land'.  the issue at #6 is that the jets have an abysmal offense and there is no clear qb/ot/stud wr to take there.  the real issue is if mccags wants to trade back and has no partners, then he'll either take a guy like trubisky who he does not have as the BAP but likes him enough to develop him, or, he goes BAP with need taken into consideration and we're ending up with a guy like the cb conley from OSU.

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

word on the beat is we're gonna trade back and take Conley.

So.... Suicide; engage. 

truth, that's not such a bad outcome given the board.  that scenario would match BAP with need.  and they'd have an extra 2nd day pick.  they could address TE/OT/RB on day 2 and still pick a good safety.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

truth, that's not such a bad outcome given the board.  that scenario would match BAP with need.  and they'd have an extra 2nd day pick.  they could address TE/OT/RB on day 2 and still pick a good safety.

except that Conley ANYWHERE in the first is bush. Huge bush... and this is coming from a bush lover. 

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

i agree that #6 is not 'no man's land'.  the issue at #6 is that the jets have an abysmal offense and there is no clear qb/ot/stud wr to take there.  the real issue is if mccags wants to trade back and has no partners, then he'll either take a guy like trubisky who he does not have as the BAP but likes him enough to develop him, or, he goes BAP with need taken into consideration and we're ending up with a guy like the cb conley from OSU.

Doubt it. Assuming they ARE NOT able to trade down and are not sold on any of the QBs... 

As far as offense goes, even though there is no clear cut stud QB, WR or OT. There IS a clear cut stud at RB (Fournette) and TE (Howard). And I would put Cook on that list of top RBs- Fournette and Cook are 1 and 1a to me. 

If you are looking at defense, it doesn't have to be Conley just b/c the Jets need a CB. It could be Adams, Barnett, or Hooker. And I'm not including S.Thomas and Allen- who are D-linemen and don;t make sense for the Jets.

The wild card in NFL drafts these days is how early the top QBs will go, regardless of depth of talent. It is very possible 2 QBs go in the top 5. That will push a great prospect down to the Jets.   

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

Doubt it. Assuming they ARE NOT able to trade down and are not sold on any of the QBs... 

As far as offense goes, even though there is no clear cut stud QB, WR or OT. There IS a clear cut stud at RB (Fournette) and TE (Howard). And I would put Cook on that list of top RBs- Fournette and Cook are 1 and 1a to me. 

If you are looking at defense, it doesn't have to be Conley just b/c the Jets need a CB. It could be Adams, Barnett, or Hooker. And I'm not including S.Thomas and Allen- who are D-linemen and don;t make sense for the Jets.

The wild card in NFL drafts these days is how early the top QBs will go, regardless of depth of talent. It is very possible 2 QBs go in the top 5. That will push a great prospect down to the Jets.   

obviously these are only our opinions and not based on what mccags thinks.  i do believe they are considering trubisky at 6, i don't think it's just smoke.  i also do not think mccags values RB or TE enough to take one at #6, and plus these two positions are deep in the draft this year.  

17 minutes ago, PepPep said:

IMO, the 6th is no mans land. 

Let's just go over the players you mentioned...

Barnett - Love him, but we could trade down and still get him

Fournette - One of the few players I would take if available at 6. Doubt he makes it to us though

Williams - Worth the 6th pick, but I personally wouldn't take him

Cook - Could trade down and get him

QB - No QB I'd take at 6

OT - None worth the 6th pick

We're in a position where most of the players available could be had later. So if you picked them at that spot, you'd be reaching. You'd have to trade down, but there's no guarantee of finding a trade partner. That is what makes the 6th pick no man's land to me

19 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

he's mcshay's 18th best player, just saying.

So? It's a nice starting point for a conversation - but the laundry list of CBs to go in the 1st round and develop into bench fodder and long and wide my friend.

Conley is career #2. There a number of better corners this year. I will tolerate anything over-inflated OSU defensive player from Macc this year. 

10 minutes ago, King P said:

IMO, the 6th is no mans land. 

Let's just go over the players you mentioned...

Barnett - Love him, but we could trade down and still get him

Fournette - One of the few players I would take if available at 6. Doubt he makes it to us though

Williams - Worth the 6th pick, but I personally wouldn't take him

Cook - Could trade down and get him

QB - No QB I'd take at 6

OT - None worth the 6th pick

We're in a position where most of the players available could be had later. So if you picked them at that spot, you'd be reaching. You'd have to trade down, but there's no guarantee of finding a trade partner. That is what makes the 6th pick no man's land to me

Which is why trading back should be done even if we're giving another team a steal of a deal... 

However, I wouldn't blink if we took a player that is "projected" to go in 10-15. if they like him, so be it... (just so long as it's a player i like :)

On 4/16/2017 at 8:46 AM, T0mShane said:

"Young competition," you say? 

Yes. The OLB camp battle is going to be really good. THey will bring in some talent in the draft and Kevin Greene will get to choose the winner.

On 4/16/2017 at 11:51 AM, Jetster said:

Burris made some plays last year, Jenkins has potential as a very solid hold the edge LB, and my surprise player in 2017 is Charone Peake. He was coming back from an injury in college, he has good height, speed & hands. 

I see him as an endzone stud. These young guys at the end of the roster don't get the reps everyone else gets. With Brandon gone, Decker working back from injury, Jalen Marshall suspended, Peake has a WIDE OPEN path to open John Mortons eyes so he can put him on the path to success.

I know there are a lot of Macc doubters here but if Hackenberg or Petty turn into NFL QBs we'll be lauding this guy for a long time. Jury is still out.

I love the fact that all these young offensive players, especially the young receivers, start with a clean slate with the new OC.  I love the fact that the two starting outside receivers could easily be Enunwa and Peake or Enunwa and Anderson or hell even Peake and Anderson.  These kids are going to be playing their hearts out for a big role on the team and I can't wait.  

On a side note on the defensive side of the ball it looks like Wilkerson showed up to voluntary camp.  I hope that means this kid is dedicated to this season.  Imagine we end up not being able to trade Richardson and we have him playing on a contract year, Leonard Williams in year 3 (yikes), McClendon, and a back to normal Muhammad Wilkerson.  That line will cause tons of problems for any offensive line.  

7 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

If there are at least 3 franchise QBs next year, why do we need the #1 pick? Especially if the Browns pick Trubisky at #12. Won't we be OK if we are in the top 3? Gather picks this year with a trade down or two and stockpile young players. Next year we can grab a QB IF Hack isn't the guy.

I din't say they need #1, I just said there's a good chance they're picking #1 because the Jets are a bad team. 

9 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

What the Jets need to do is just let Hack or Petty play this year. If they have a good season it's going to be because one of them is a legitimate starting QB who can win games for you in the NFL. if that's the case then the Jets have an answer at the QB position going forward. If not, then the Jets are going to be horrible and will probably be in a position to draft a QB in a potentially strong QB class in 2018.

What the Jets should not be doing is going with McCown.

BINGO!!!!

Couldn't agree more.  If the Jets are 8-8 next year it's because one of those kids played good football.  That's like being awarded an early 1st round draft pick in next year's draft.

If the Jets go 2-14, it's because the kids suck.  Then the Jets will have an early 1st round pick.  This is a major crossroads season.

If the Jets go with McCown,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

BINGO!!!!

Couldn't agree more.  If the Jets are 8-8 next year it's because one of those kids played good football.  That's like being awarded an early 1st round draft pick in next year's draft.

If the Jets go 2-14, it's because the kids suck.  Then the Jets will have an early 1st round pick.  This is a major crossroads season.

If the Jets go with McCown,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If we go through an entire camp & Bowles decides the best direction for our immediate future is Josh McCown, I'll be watching Redzone more than CBS Jet games until he gets hurt & Bowles is forced to play Petty or Hack.

We can't START McCown in 2017 can we? Lmao! I'm sorry, I just can not see that as a viable option or for one moment believe starting him in anyway helps the future of this young team.

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

If we go through an entire camp & Bowles decides the best direction for our immediate future is Josh McCown, I'll be watching Redzone more than CBS Jet games until he gets hurt & Bowles is forced to play Petty or Hack.

We can't START McCown in 2017 can we? Lmao! I'm sorry, I just can not see that as a viable option or for one moment believe starting him in anyway helps the future of this young team.

Probably depends on who makes that final decision.  And what's going on inside the Jets.

If Bowles' job is on the line, he's not going to be all in on a youth talent hunt at QB.  

The Jets need to try something novel in the NFL these days DEVELOP WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE. Yes Gang Green messed up the development of Mark Sanchez with bad personnel moves and questionable coaching and worse play calling; however it doesn't mean they can't get it right with Petty and/or Hackenberg. Patience people, the Jets have the parts to be good right now on both sides of the ball if the brain trust does it right. Part of doing it right is being smart with the draft and not becoming the Cleveland Browns. The Jets have to channel another AFC north team, the Baltimore Ravens who usually roll winners & not snake eyes in crap game that is the draft and develop the talent they get. The only unicorn I know of is playing for the Knicks, and Phil is about to ruin him. The Jets have to find talent and value with picks, then develop those picks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived