Safety or CB

Tinstar

19 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

i agree but i think it is more than just leadership.  I would encourage you to splurge on Game Pass for a year it is like 100.00.  It gave me a new respect for Safety play.  Watching just broadcast you barely ever see what the safeties are doing because the cameras focus so closely to the LOS.  If the pass is never thrown and the safety did his job over top you would never know and when he total screws up and is way out of position and a pass is made you really do not see that too well either unless the useless broadcaster points it out.

Anywho I took the splurge with Game Pass and started re-watching some of the earlier games in season when everyone was healthy and the games mattered.  What struck out to me most was just how bad our Safeties are.  It seemed whenever the opposing QB needed a few yards to get that extra 1st down they would go after Prtor in man coverage and while everyone was focused on how revis was getting burned he and the others CB never really had any help over the top.

So anyway I think what is needed is some leadership through better play by Safeties which would in turn help the CBs.

If Pryor is playing man, how is he supposed to provide help over the top?  The two things are mutually exclusive.  I agree with your point that safety play cannot be judged very easily on a regular telecast.  Deep safeties often aren't even on screen.  OTOH,  you don't know what the assignments were, so even if you see them it does not tell the entire story.

13 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I'm not talking up Darren Lee or anyone else . Darren Lee started making most of the defensive checks last year once Harris was slowly rotated in and out of the lineup . Age played a huge part in the performance of both Cromartie and Revis, but it doesn't explain the multiple missed assignments the resulted in wide open receivers  all over the field .  I could be wrong, and that fine with me, but I believe the Jets experience all these miscues because of on the field communication issues . When the offense adjusted to what the coaches called , the on field communication in the defensive backfield didn't . 

When exactly was Harris slowly rotated in and out of the lineup?  The only game he played less than 90% of the snaps in was week 5 against the Steelers. He missed a grand total of 2 defensive snaps over the last 5 weeks. 

It is possible that the safety play deteriorated, but why?  The same guys weren't ******* assignments in 2015.  Probably because of the change at CB2 and the fact that the CBs were generally playing sh*tty. Or maybe they tried to make the defense more complex and were either unprepared or incapable.  They did fire the DC.  Bowles was a DB, this should be his specialty.

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If Pryor is playing man, how is he supposed to provide help over the top?  The two things are mutually exclusive.  I agree with your point that safety play cannot be judged very easily on a regular telecast.  Deep safeties often aren't even on screen.  OTOH,  you don't know what the assignments were, so even if you see them it does not tell the entire story.

beacuse the way the jets use their safeties are interchangable in that 1 snap pryor would come down and play man and Gilchrist would drop back into FS but on the next play they swap - qbs just ID when pryor is going to be man and then it is an easy 8 yards or so.

5 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

beacuse the way the jets use their safeties are interchangable in that 1 snap pryor would come down and play man and Gilchrist would drop back into FS but on the next play they swap - qbs just ID when pryor is going to be man and then it is an easy 8 yards or so.

Seems like a coaching problem to me.  Why would Gilchrist and Pryor be interchangeable? 

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Seems like a coaching problem to me.  Why would Gilchrist and Pryor be interchangeable? 

because that is the system they use - they are both SS\FS

I believe they are doing this because Gilchrist is much better in Man coverage but it kind of useless in FS role where as Pryor seemed ok to me as FS (although he rarely help CB but does good job in limiting YAC) but sucks in Man coverage - by swapping you keep QB guessing hopes of hiding your weakness.

Bottom line Jets need Safety help......and like I said - dont take my word for it look for yourself it is cheap and easy to sign up for Game Pass and pretty cool

disclaimer i do not work for NFL selling their Game Pass.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

When exactly was Harris slowly rotated in and out of the lineup?  The only game he played less than 90% of the snaps in was week 5 against the Steelers. He missed a grand total of 2 defensive snaps over the last 5 weeks. 

It is possible that the safety play deteriorated, but why?  The same guys weren't ******* assignments in 2015.  Probably because of the change at CB2 and the fact that the CBs were generally playing sh*tty. Or maybe they tried to make the defense more complex and were either unprepared or incapable.  They did fire the DC.  Bowles was a DB, this should be his specialty.

I stand by my assessment of the situation as I believed it to be .  

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

because that is the system they use - they are both SS\FS

I believe they are doing this because Gilchrist is much better in Man coverage but it kind of useless in FS role where as Pryor seemed ok to me as FS (although he rarely help CB but does good job in limiting YAC) but sucks in Man coverage - by swapping you keep QB guessing hopes of hiding your weakness.

Bottom line Jets need Safety help......and like I said - dont take my word for it look for yourself it is cheap and easy to sign up for Game Pass and pretty cool

disclaimer i do not work for NFL selling their Game Pass.

That STILL seems like a coaching problem.  Gilchrist and Pryor are not the same player.  Any system that treats them that way is flawed.  Pryor was not considered a cover guy coming out. 

There is always an issue with the SS/FS terminology.  When I was growing up, the SS played over the TE and the FS was "free".  Over time, this morphed into the FS being a centerfield type and the SS being a box guy.  Where this gets confusing is when the FS is considered the "cover guy" because the "cover guy" is usually lined up over the TE or waiting to pick up the back.  The CF or FS type is playing deep. The deep guy is playing zone, the guy over the TE is more likely to be playing man.  Adding to the confusion is a guy like Antonio Allen who can play "man" and "box" but sucks donkey balls out in space, so he can't be a "FS" or centerfield type. There is plenty of lingo to explain this.  Like cover 1/2/3.  In some of those, at least one CB is actually playing "safety".

6 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I stand by my assessment of the situation as I believed it to be .  

What does this mean?  You stand by your assessment that they were phasing Harris out?  

That is factually incorrect:  David Harris snap counts 2016

4 hours ago, PepPep said:

I heard Jackson is more of a zone CB and would not excel in our system.

S.Jones was my #1 CB before the injury. If Jets medical staff have faith that he can make a full recovery with a season off, he is well worth an early third round pick.

I think Humphrey will be better than what people are giving him credit for. I could also see him moving to safety. Having said that, I would not take him at 6 and I have a feeling he will go before 20...

I like Wilson, King and Conley in the 2nd round. White in the 3rd too- but he may be off the board late in the 2nd. I think you can throw in Tankersley in there as well- he will go somewhere in the 2nd most likely.   

Just my 2 cents.

in today NFL the SS has to be good in Man Coverage because he is closest to LOS.  Pryor who is more typical SS sucks at man.  Gilchrist who is your typical FS (he was converted CB) is strong in Man but that means he needs to stay close to LOS which makes it hard for him to be FS and from what i saw he doesnt make very good choices in center field.  So the Jets have 2 safeties that have real bad weakness and is what it is.  Only so much you can coach although I think jet coaching sucks.

What this does is force the defence into more Nickel packages thereby hurting your pass rush and run defence.

I think the bigger problem here is the personnel.

The Jets drafted a MLB with the 1st round pick in 2017 . He did not start the season as one of the starters. When he started playing, he and Henderson were on the field, and then he got injured . When he started playing again, Henderson went on the Non Football injury list for the year .  Circumstances kept David Harris in the lineup, because he was / is the best leader on the Jets defense .

Sad, because the best the Jets can field is a part time run stuffer who can't run and never could .

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

in today NFL the SS has to be good in Man Coverage because he is closest to LOS.  Pryor who is more typical SS sucks at man.  Gilchrist who is your typical FS (he was converted CB) is strong in Man but that means he needs to stay close to LOS which makes it hard for him to be FS and from what i saw he doesnt make very good choices in center field.  So the Jets have 2 safeties that have real bad weakness and is what it is.  Only so much you can coach although I think jet coaching sucks.

What this does is force the defence into more Nickel packages thereby hurting your pass rush and run defence.

The Jets have 3 safeties that can cover and 1 MLB that can't run  . 

15 hours ago, Dcat said:

I'd love to see them get a CB in the first 3 rounds, but NOT at pick #6.

Humphrey with a trade well down to the 20's in round 1. 

Wilson, King or Conley with pick 2.07 (I doubt Conley will be there but I like Wilson most of these)

Adoree Jackson, Tredavius White or yes, even Sidney Jones at 3.06.   Love Jackson. Jackson and White can really add Special teams too as return guys.

and if none of those work for us at those picks, then Tankersley, Witherspoon, Kazee, if anyof them are there at the bottom of round 3 with our comp pick. 

Agreed. #6 is not where CB value lies. Somehow landing Humphrey/Wilson/Jackson between #15-#52 would be ideal.... more so if we acquired an extra pick. 

6 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I think this gets overstated.  Everybody gets a stiffy over Kam Chancellor and I've seen Kam Chancellor and he's no Charles Woodson.

5 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The Jets drafted a MLB with the 1st round pick in 2017 . He did not start the season as one of the starters. When he started playing, he and Henderson were on the field, and then he got injured . When he started playing again, Henderson went on the Non Football injury list for the year .  Circumstances kept David Harris in the lineup, because he was / is the best leader on the Jets defense .

Sad, because the best the Jets can field is a part time run stuffer who can't run and never could .

So, your contention is that the Jets planned to phase out Harris, but Henderson ran into his troubles and they couldn't?  I guess you could argue that.  I would counter that Harris played a ton in every game except the Steelers which he left with a hamsting injury and the following week against the Cards which he missed with the same injury.  Coaches invariably like Harris better than fans and he probably isn't as slow as you think.

The game is changing and safeties are becoming more valuable.  The idea of a free safety or strong safety are slowly going away.  Top safeties are now guys that have to play both roles as well as take on new roles to counter the new offenses (spread, run-option-pass, running QBs, pass-catching RBs / TEs, etc).  I would agree that in the past CBs were vital to a defense, but I believe we are seeing a slow shift to safeties.  In the past couple years we've seen teams like Carolina let Josh Norman go to the Redskins and then sign Kurt Coleman to a 3 year extension, Seattle let Byron Maxwell, Brandon Browner and Walter Thurmond all leave after wining a super bowl, but locked up Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas.  Some of the best CBs in the league change teams while they re-sign their safeties.  This year's draft even features two top 10 (possibly top 5) picks at safety, when everyone is you don't select safeties in the top 5 let alone the top 10.  Consistently only seeing Marshon Lattimore in the top 10, rarely in the top 5.  Yes more cornerbacks will be taken in the first 2 rounds but I think this year will be a record breaking year of the number of safeties are taken in the first 2 rounds.  Usually 4-5 safeties are taken in the first 2 rounds, but this year 7-9 safeties may go by the end of the 2nd round.  On average the number of CBs in the first 2 rounds is approximately 9-11.  I suspect that number to still be around 9-11 this year.

1 minute ago, nyjbuddy said:

The game is changing and safeties are becoming more valuable.  The idea of a free safety or strong safety are slowly going away.  Top safeties are now guys that have to play both roles as well as take on new roles to counter the new offenses (spread, run-option-pass, running QBs, pass-catching RBs / TEs, etc).  I would agree that in the past CBs were vital to a defense, but I believe we are seeing a slow shift to safeties.  In the past couple years we've seen teams like Carolina let Josh Norman go to the Redskins and then sign Kurt Coleman to a 3 year extension, Seattle let Byron Maxwell, Brandon Browner and Walter Thurmond all leave after wining a super bowl, but locked up Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas.  Some of the best CBs in the league change teams while they re-sign their safeties.  This year's draft even features two top 10 (possibly top 5) picks at safety, when everyone is you don't select safeties in the top top 10 let alone top 5.  Consistently only seeing Marshon Lattimore in the top 10, rarely in the top 5.  Yes more cornerbacks will be taken in the first 2 rounds but I think this year will be a record breaking year of the number of safeties are taken in the first 2 rounds.  Usually 4-5 safeties are taken in the first 2 rounds, but this year 7-9 safeties may go by the end of the 2nd round.  On average the number of CBs in the first 2 rounds is approximately 9-11.  I suspect that number to still be around 9-11 this year.

also teams need more CB than Safeties as most teams carry 6 CB and 4 S

so yes more CB get taken.

Teams let CB walk and keep safeties because S are cheaper.  It's that simple.  It is true that the Panthers let their top CB walk.  It is also true that they went from 15-1 to 6-10.

The game is always changing.  When you have guys that can do certain things and not others, it is the coaches job to put them in a position to do what they do best while disguising their weaknesses.  Kam Chancellor is certainly not  a "do it all" safety. 

I am not arguing that the Jets should draft a CB at 6 over a S.  From what I can see the top 2 S are ahead of the CBs this year.  Personally, I would avoid either until later on. OTOH, the question was which position was more important:  I will stand by CB.  

4 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

That was not the question from OP the way I read it.  The OP asked "for the Jets" and "from this draft" which implies you take into consideration current roster and if that isa case Safety is more important right now given roster.

anywho if it is a straight comparison of position they are BOTH important and you need good play at both to have a good team.   If you look at franchise tag amounts then yes CB are more exp and valued more and you have more of them.

Well, I still disagree.  I think the need for a corner is much greater for the Jets than a S.  

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Teams let CB walk and keep safeties because S are cheaper.  It's that simple.  It is true that the Panthers let their top CB walk.  It is also true that they went from 15-1 to 6-10.

The game is always changing.  When you have guys that can do certain things and not others, it is the coaches job to put them in a position to do what they do best while disguising their weaknesses.  Kam Chancellor is certainly not  a "do it all" safety. 

I am not arguing that the Jets should draft a CB at 6 over a S.  From what I can see the top 2 S are ahead of the CBs this year.  Personally, I would avoid either until later on. OTOH, the question was which position was more important:  I will stand by CB.  

This.  well said

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am not saying the jets need to take a safety at 6 either

but I am saying the Jets need a day 1 starter out of this draft

If the Jets trade back to 12 and get 33 also they can afford to draft a non CB, and S at 12, and address both with 33, and 39, but if they stay at 6 they almost have to take Hooker, or Adams if available IMO, and get CB at 39 where the real value lies at CB in this draft.  I don't see that much of a difference between the top 1st round CB's and the top 2nd round CB's.  While I think both Hooker and Adams will be special.

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

If the Jets trade back to 12 and get 33 also they can afford to draft a non CB, and S at 12, and address both with 33, and 39, but if they stay at 6 they almost have to take Hooker, or Adams if available IMO, and get CB at 39 where the real value lies at CB in this draft.  I don't see that much of a difference between the top 1st round CB's and the top 2nd round CB's.  While I think both Hooker and Adams will be special.

See, I don't want to take either at 6, but push come shove, Hooker can't be the pick . He doesn't have the experience to be the leader in the secondary . Adams offer what the Jets need day 1 at safety while Hooker and Williams may offer that in 2 years .

15 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

In addition to Safety I think the Jets should draft a Nickel CB in this draft so they can cut ties with Skrine next season

11 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I understand where you are coming from, but this is very dangerous thinking IMO.  I remember when Revis came out, everybody said "all the CBs are the same"  and we should just sit tight and draft Aaron Ross.  Ha! In fact, I think at the time, most draft books had Leon Hall being the first CB off the board.  Yes, it looks like these guys are close to even, but that doesn't mean they are.  

Drafting Day 1 starters is also overrated.  Some guys that started from Day 1:  Geno, Sanchez, Milliner, Stephen Hill, Kyle Wilson.  

47 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Are safeties that much cheaper though?  Top corners vs top safeties yes, but the average salary for a CB is lower than a safety.  Perhaps because CBs are easier to replace versus safeties.  Positional spending per team: Cornerback $2.275M (per player) vs Safety $2.6M (per player)

"Quarterbacks have an average value of around $4 million per year, due to their critical role on the offensive game. Even second and third string quarterbacks make a large amount of money compared to other roles. Defensive ends earn around $2.6 million per year, which is quite a humorous contrast – defensive ends are typically the position that are responsible for rushing the quarterback and putting pressure on them to move the ball. Defensive tackles earn around $1.8 million on average; wide receivers, linebackers, defensive linemen, and safeties all earn around the same amount of money, with the average for these 5 roles ranging from $1.75 million up to a little over $1.8 million. Cornerbacks and kickers/punters earn around $1.6 to $1.65 million on average. Running backs have an average salary of $1.5 million, and tight ends earn even less at $1.4 million per year." - http://gazettereview.com/2017/03/average-nfl-player-salary/

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I understand where you are coming from, but this is very dangerous thinking IMO.  I remember when Revis came out, everybody said "all the CBs are the same"  and we should just sit tight and draft Aaron Ross.  Ha! In fact, I think at the time, most draft books had Leon Hall being the first CB off the board.  Yes, it looks like these guys are close to even, but that doesn't mean they are.  

Drafting Day 1 starters is also overrated.  Some guys that started from Day 1:  Geno, Sanchez, Milliner, Stephen Hill, Kyle Wilson.  

other day 1 starters

Mangold, Marvin Lewis, Revis, Harris (made vilma expendable quick), DBrick, Crebet, etc....

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Agreed and apparently the best CB in the draft is going possibly on day 3! 

Kam Chancellor is not a "do it all" safety because Carroll runs a traditional Tampa 2 defense.  Pete's background in his defensive scheme is rooted in work with Monte Kiffin.  He runs the same scheme that he has run since NC State in the 1980s.  He has players that fit that scheme.  He is very "old-school" (being the oldest head coach in the league) in that way.  

Bowles, on the other hand, is suppose to be this defensive guru and innovator.  Though having Sheldon play OLB is a little far fetched.  But his blitzing schemes and moving players around the formation is suppose to be his strong suit.  He runs a hybrid 34 / 43 / nickel defense that is suppose to shift and change according to the offense they play.  Safeties are expected to do everything, linebackers are expected to cover running backs and tight-ends, and according to last year, 300 pound D-lineman are expected to play OLB (Yes, not a good idea). It is a defense that is suppose to be dynamic and versatile to confuse the QB and counter modern offenses.  Though we have not seen it work and perhaps it will never work, Bowles, like Carroll, needs the players that fit his scheme.  The players that fit his scheme are not the traditional type of players that we are used to seeing.  

Since the college game, and to some extent the high school game, is rapidly changing offensively, we are only now seeing the reaction to it on defense enter the NFL.  At the high school level, coaches are not just putting their most athletic guys on offense like they used to.  Now they are throwing them on the defensive side of the ball to try and slow down these high octane offenses.  When these guys get to college, they continue to progress against these spread, read-option, no-huddle offenses.  Finally after 6 to 10 years, these kids are starting to enter the NFL.  6 years ago, Kam Chancellor was already in the league and we were just seeing these offensive changes take hold in the NFL.  6 years ago, players like Jamal Adams and Marshon Lattimore were just beginning their high school careers and have had to face it for their entire careers.  We now have big, fast, athletic defensive players that look like their offensive counter parts.  

There are people actually trying to claim a S is more important than a CB?  What?
It's CB, all day every day.  This isnt a debate.  

Not a debate though, top tier CBs don't stack up against top tier S this year, not close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:
Kam Chancellor is not a "do it all" safety because Carroll runs a traditional Tampa 2 defense.  Pete's background in his defensive scheme is rooted in work with Monte Kiffin.  He runs the same scheme that he has run since NC State in the 1980s.  He has players that fit that scheme.  He is very "old-school" (being the oldest head coach in the league) in that way.  

Bowles, on the other hand, is suppose to be this defensive guru and innovator.  Though having Sheldon play OLB is a little far fetched.  But his blitzing schemes and moving players around the formation is suppose to be his strong suit.  He runs a hybrid 34 / 43 / nickel defense that is suppose to shift and change according to the offense they play.  Safeties are expected to do everything, linebackers are expected to cover running backs and tight-ends, and according to last year, 300 pound D-lineman are expected to play OLB (Yes, not a good idea). It is a defense that is suppose to be dynamic and versatile to confuse the QB and counter modern offenses.  Though we have not seen it work and perhaps it will never work, Bowles, like Carroll, needs the players that fit his scheme.  The players that fit his scheme are not the traditional type of players that we are used to seeing.  

Since the college game, and to some extent the high school game, is rapidly changing offensively, we are only now seeing the reaction to it on defense enter the NFL.  At the high school level, coaches are not just putting their most athletic guys on offense like they used to.  Now they are throwing them on the defensive side of the ball to try and slow down these high octane offenses.  When these guys get to college, they continue to progress against these spread, read-option, no-huddle offenses.  Finally after 6 to 10 years, these kids are starting to enter the NFL.  6 years ago, Kam Chancellor was already in the league and we were just seeing these offensive changes take hold in the NFL.  6 years ago, players like Jamal Adams and Marshon Lattimore were just beginning their high school careers and have had to face it for their entire careers.  We now have big, fast, athletic defensive players that look like their offensive counter parts.  

Bowles Defense is reliant on making big plays, getting turnovers, and turning them into points the other way instantly, it also is a defense that will give up big plays against, but as we saw in Arizona the big plays the defense created the other way out weighed the big plays it gives up.  The Jets have not seen the big plays, turnovers, and defensive created points since week 5 of 2015.  Adding a Malik Hooker, and Desmond King/Adore Jackson/TreDavious White early in this draft could change that, and putting Richardson in a place where he can cause havoc up the middle where he belongs will also go a long way to getting more impact full plays on defense, I'd make Mo Wilk beef up, and become my NT, and let Leo, and Sheldon eat against the over matched guards.

9 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Bowles Defense is reliant on making big plays, getting turnovers, and turning them into points the other way instantly, it also is a defense that will give up big plays against, but as we saw in Arizona the big plays the defense created the other way out weighed the big plays it gives up.  The Jets have not seen the big plays, turnovers, and defensive created points since week 5 of 2015.  Adding a Malik Hooker, and Desmond King/Adore Jackson/TreDavious White early in this draft could change that, and putting Richardson in a place where he can cause havoc up the middle where he belongs will also go a long way to getting more impact full plays on defense, I'd make Mo Wilk beef up, and become my NT, and let Leo, and Sheldon eat against the over matched guards.

Just for clarification: Desmond King or Kevin King?

And a few follow-up questions, which of the players you stated above would be the most successful at creating turnovers (both interceptions and force fumbles) with the ability to take it to the house?  I know all of them can, but how would you rank them in Bowles' offense?

7 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Just for clarification: Desmond King or Kevin King?

And a few follow-up questions, which of the players you stated above would be the most successful at creating turnovers (both interceptions and force fumbles) with the ability to take it to the house?  I know all of them can, but how would you rank them in Bowles' offense?

Kevin King not Desmond my bad.  Obviously Hooker is the most dangerous, and capable at making a play on the ball, and returning it for 6, I think A Jackson is the A Cromartie type, he will give up some big plays, but will also create turnovers with his style of play, and when he has the ball he is very dangerous, and will also be the leading candidate to return Kicks, and Punts should the Jets draft him, King is a big bodied guy who can get physical at the line of scrimmage with anyone, I'd say him, and White are more physical man cover guys that will be more of pass break up guys then ball hawks which is fine because if they prove to be great cover guys it will force the QB to make throws elsewhere, or into their coverage where a guy like Hooker could come in to gobble up an errant throw, or a tipped pass.

Archived