Jump to content

17 Jets are better then 16 Jets


kevinc855
 Share

Recommended Posts

This isn't a bad enough team to secure #1 pick next year. The roof is 8 wins, ceiling is 5 wins. We will pick outside of Top 5 for sure and most likely outside of Top 10. If they do this with Petty or Hack and they show promise, I will call next season a success. We shall see. I am hoping for a tank job but it won't happen. We are the Jets. We are our biggest enemy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last year we beat the Bills twice, the Ravens, the 49ers and the Browns. Browns have the #1 pick, 49ers the #2. So we beat the two worst teams. By a combined 9 points. Buffalo we beat by 6 when it mattered, and by 20 when it didn't (they sat their starting QB to avoid injury). Ravens had an OK season, ending 8-8.

'Notable' teams we lost to : Rams who ended with a worse record (4-12); Bengals (6-9-1); Arizona (7-8-1). 

Next year the two worst teams that we play (based on 2016) are the Browns again, and the Jags. Chargers would follow closely after those two. Obviously we play the Bills twice again. Based on right now, these would probably rank as our "easiest" wins. If we assume we take all these, that's 5 wins.

We'd then need 3 more to get to 8-8 ... based again off the 2016 standings the next likeliest candidates would be Carolina, NO and Tampa. Two of those are road games.

9 wins means winning all the above PLUS one more ... have to think Miami are the next best bet.

If we fail on any of these, we need to pick up additional wins to compensate from Miami (2nd game), Denver, KC, Atlanta, NE (2 games), Oakland.

I currently see a very small likelihood of us getting near to 8-8. I think it more likely that some of those teams that had a poorer 2016 improve, rather than regress - Carolina is my prime candidate for a bounce back. For us to improve in that same way - we have to solve the QB issue. Can Hack come from nowhere to be the guy that elevates us to being "decent"? Or do we get a rookie highlight year out of a Watson or a Trubisky? I can't see us bettering last year's record without an "out of nowhere" performance at QB. Because McCown isn't elevating us beyond 5 wins, IMHO.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Last year we beat the Bills twice, the Ravens, the 49ers and the Browns. Browns have the #1 pick, 49ers the #2. So we beat the two worst teams. By a combined 9 points. Buffalo we beat by 6 when it mattered, and by 20 when it didn't (they sat their starting QB to avoid injury). Ravens had an OK season, ending 8-8.

'Notable' teams we lost to : Rams who ended with a worse record (4-12); Bengals (6-9-1); Arizona (7-8-1). 

Next year the two worst teams that we play (based on 2016) are the Browns again, and the Jags. Chargers would follow closely after those two. Obviously we play the Bills twice again. Based on right now, these would probably rank as our "easiest" wins. If we assume we take all these, that's 5 wins.

We'd then need 3 more to get to 8-8 ... based again off the 2016 standings the next likeliest candidates would be Carolina, NO and Tampa. Two of those are road games.

9 wins means winning all the above PLUS one more ... have to think Miami are the next best bet.

If we fail on any of these, we need to pick up additional wins to compensate from Miami (2nd game), Denver, KC, Atlanta, NE (2 games), Oakland.

I currently see a very small likelihood of us getting near to 8-8. I think it more likely that some of those teams that had a poorer 2016 improve, rather than regress - Carolina is my prime candidate for a bounce back. For us to improve in that same way - we have to solve the QB issue. Can Hack come from nowhere to be the guy that elevates us to being "decent"? Or do we get a rookie highlight year out of a Watson or a Trubisky? I can't see us bettering last year's record without an "out of nowhere" performance at QB. Because McCown isn't elevating us beyond 5 wins, IMHO.

If you watch that Baltimore game, there's no way in hell Flacco's arm wasn't still bothering him.  He was throwing wobblers all day.  Hell, the Jets even had multiple INT's that day IIRC...that's how bad Flacco was in that loss.

Edited by AFJF
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If you watch that Baltimore game, there's no way in hell Flacco's arm wasn't still bothering him.  He was throwing wobblers all day.  Hell, the Jets even had multiple INT's that day IIRC...that's how bad Flacco was in that loss.

Oh yes, that was definitely the "played them at the right time" sort of win. Which serves to show how tricky it is to "earn" the #1 draft pick, because one injury can affect an opponent very significantly and you get a win you never expected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I expect a 9-10 win season at least. We will have a much better roster with no expectations. Cant wait to prove everyone wrong.

There are like 4 or 6 of us that believe this. We need to form a club. Only go to the bathroom in 2's.

The haters are looking to pick us off. I know how they work. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

Last year we beat the Bills twice, the Ravens, the 49ers and the Browns. Browns have the #1 pick, 49ers the #2. So we beat the two worst teams. By a combined 9 points. Buffalo we beat by 6 when it mattered, and by 20 when it didn't (they sat their starting QB to avoid injury). Ravens had an OK season, ending 8-8.

'Notable' teams we lost to : Rams who ended with a worse record (4-12); Bengals (6-9-1); Arizona (7-8-1). 

Next year the two worst teams that we play (based on 2016) are the Browns again, and the Jags. Chargers would follow closely after those two. Obviously we play the Bills twice again. Based on right now, these would probably rank as our "easiest" wins. If we assume we take all these, that's 5 wins.

We'd then need 3 more to get to 8-8 ... based again off the 2016 standings the next likeliest candidates would be Carolina, NO and Tampa. Two of those are road games.

9 wins means winning all the above PLUS one more ... have to think Miami are the next best bet.

If we fail on any of these, we need to pick up additional wins to compensate from Miami (2nd game), Denver, KC, Atlanta, NE (2 games), Oakland.

I currently see a very small likelihood of us getting near to 8-8. I think it more likely that some of those teams that had a poorer 2016 improve, rather than regress - Carolina is my prime candidate for a bounce back. For us to improve in that same way - we have to solve the QB issue. Can Hack come from nowhere to be the guy that elevates us to being "decent"? Or do we get a rookie highlight year out of a Watson or a Trubisky? I can't see us bettering last year's record without an "out of nowhere" performance at QB. Because McCown isn't elevating us beyond 5 wins, IMHO.

that's just foolishness.  look at how the panthers went from the superbowl to 6-10.  or the bungles from the playoffs to a sub 500 record.  with the exception of maybe 5 nfl teams, all of the others can be beaten on any given sunday.  the jets were very close to being 8-8 and a couple of defensive plays or balls bouncing the right way and they could have been 9-7 or 10-6. that's just the way the nfl is.  and teams like cleveland have been trying to get better for nearly 10 seasons.  no reason to think they're going to turn a corner.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I'm telling you right now, if they win more than 2 games, its a disaster. Franchise QB must happen. If not, buckle up for another decade of nothing.

Yeah McCown leading the Jets to a 8-8, or better season would be a disaster, BUT if Petty, Hack, or a drafted QB lead the Jets to a promising 8-8 season. or better looking the part it would be awesome, and trust me I would sell my Kidney for the Jets to have a chance to draft Darnold, but the next best thing would be for the 2nd scenario I listed.  McCown should only see the field if both Petty, and Hack (and if the Jets draft a QB early) are injured, and unable to play.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

There are like 4 or 6 of us that believe this. We need to form a club. Only go to the bathroom in 2's.

The haters are looking to pick us off. I know how they work. :)

 After all, you're a JN mod!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

that's just foolishness.  look at how the panthers went from the superbowl to 6-10.  or the bungles from the playoffs to a sub 500 record.  with the exception of maybe 5 nfl teams, all of the others can be beaten on any given sunday.  the jets were very close to being 8-8 and a couple of defensive plays or balls bouncing the right way and they could have been 9-7 or 10-6. that's just the way the nfl is.  and teams like cleveland have been trying to get better for nearly 10 seasons.  no reason to think they're going to turn a corner.

I'd love to hear which 4 or 5 games we were very close in / only a couple of plays away from winning. Cincy and the Rams fair enough, that's two.

Chiefs destroyed us
Colts destroyed us
Phins destroyed us (second time round)
Pats destroyed us (second time round)
Hawks destroyed us

Ok the flip side ... we were one or two plays away from losing to Cleveland, San Francisco, Bills (first time around).

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Holy **** are there some delusional folks in this fanbase.....Wow.

 

If you don't already understand how 8-8 is worse than 2-14 for this team, I don't know what to tell you. Even the Jets get it. Why do you think they brought in Mr 2-14 McCown himself?

I get what you're saying, but if we have an 8-8 season with this roster than that means a good number of our young players took the big jump we were hoping for, Hack or Petty showed that they could be the face of our franchise, and Bowles turned the corner as a Head Coach.  It's literally the only way I could see that record being the end result.

 Sign me up for that over a 2-14 season with very little answers in a heartbeat.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

QB actually can be worse in 17, and that counts a lot.

Some young players should step up, and the defense at least should be better coached.

I can virtually guarantee that Mo has a better year.

The draft should yield at least 3 starters, including at least one S, which was awful last year.

The Jets were lucky to get 5 wins last year.

People seems to think the Jags is a win-I don't get that.  They have been accumulating players, and I wish we had Coughlin.

3-13.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/21/2017 at 3:38 PM, kevinc855 said:

I expect a 9-10 win season at least. We will have a much better roster with no expectations. Cant wait to prove everyone wrong.

Where are they better?

I can't think of a position on the field that is better than 16.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...