Jump to content

Who is your top choice at 6?


Who is your top choice at 6?  

118 members have voted

  1. 1. I listed the 10 most discussed potential options for the Jets at 6. Given your pick of any of them, with no trade down options on the table....who do you take at 6?

    • OJ Howard, TE, Alabama
    • Jamal Adams, SS, LSU
    • Marshon Lattimore, CB, OSU
    • Malik Hooker, FS, OSU
    • Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
    • Derek Barnett, OLB, Tennessee
    • Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
    • Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan
    • Mitch Trubisky, QB, UNC
    • Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We're drafting a cornerback and I'm gonna mentally tune out.

All I want from the first rounder is TDs or sacks. If I thought we were a smart team with a capable staff, I'd be all about Watson. But we currently have a staff that drafted Hack and Petty, then gave

I can't believe there are Jet fans that want to draft a TE in the first round.....holy geebus cripes.....

In this draft in particular, I don't think you can focus on offense, defense, or a particular position at 6.

What should be off the board is DL, because we have too much of it, and positions for which the slotted compensation for 6 would be too much money for a rookie-a guard, a RT, a P, a K, likely a ILB.

Because of the slotted compensation, this player should be able to play right away, or if a QB, late 2017/2018.  The player should not have any injury issues, or behavioral issues.

Garrett will be gone, which is good, because I do not like him.

Thomas should be gone, which is also good, since I think he is actually an interior lineman, and he is too small for that.

Foster has too many issues.  

Allen is another DL, and he does not really fit with the Jets scheme.  

Fournette can be good and worthy of that comp, or perhaps not.  

Hooker has high upside but has injury issues and needs to learn to tackle.  

So my draft board at 6 would look like this:

Garrett

Adams

Howard

Trubisky

Trade down

Fournette

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted Adams but I see no way in hell a guy with his measurables, work ethic, and tape makes it to 6. This kid is being compared to Earl Thomas, but I believe he's even bigger.

He had the best time in his CLOSING SPEED testing & has some of the best change of direction (foot work) ever tested at the combine. That speed in the 2nd half of his get up is how you close on a ball and disrupt plays all over the field. Some scouts have as the best (safest) pick on their entire boards, or the 2nd best player in this entire draft!

This is how you build a team, without a great QB, while your looking to the near future of finally finding a QB. Imagine having Leo, one of the best Dlineman in football, then adding maybe one of the best safeties in football, you start seeing a progression the Jets haven't had in a long time.

Just look at the Pats to see how important Belichick believes safety play is in this new NFL. They moved McCourty from CB, and paid him a lot more than anyone else in that secondary until they signed Gilmore. And while McCourty is a fine smart safety now, Adams has way more athleticism than McCourty. 

But if somehow Adams fall, which is highly unlikely, and the Jets send that card up with his name on it, I'm a happy Jet fan. Keep adding studs over the next 2 years, we'll have a ton of money to fill a few holes next year.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I'll make you a deal. We draft Watson...at 12...then immediately trade Hackenberg to Houston for a conditional pick in 2018 (which ends up being a 6th, but who cares). 

If this happened I would be happy. Until Hack leads a talented Houston team to its first Super Bowl win. That would be the Jets luck running true to form.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

it does not matter who i want.  the jets will trade back with either cleveland or carolina and take cb conley.  then they'll take TE engram and a safety in either the 2nd or 3rd.  throw in an OL and maybe a wr like godwin and that's the first 3 rounds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JoeC36 said:

As if you havent already for the last 6 years

I really checked out the moment Idzik started jumping up and down in the locker room when he announced Rex was coming back. It gave me the same sense of despair and betrayal as when Rolfe starts blowing the Hitler Youth whistle in The Sound of Music.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I really checked out the moment Idzik started jumping up and down in the locker room when he announced Rex was coming back. It gave me the same sense of despair and betrayal as when Rolfe starts blowing the Hitler Youth whistle in The Sound of Music.

Really? I had that pegged as your favorite part. I'm a fan of the nuns ripping out the cars insides

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, #bman said:

Get me Adams. If not then maybe Fournette. Adams can instantly stabilize the secondary.  I'm even willing to trade a future pick to move up 1 to get him.

IMO the way mccags thinks he would take conley, just have the cb vibe in the first round.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

He's not.

Besides Zeke last year, when's the last time a top ten running back panned out? 

I can't actually answer that question but it's probably a shorter timeframe than a top 10 safety or tight end.  They're all non premium positions that are questionable picks in the top 10 so it would almost be better if the jets won a few more games to fall in a good range for pass rushers or offensive tackles.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fournette, Howard, Thomas, Adams, Foster, Williams:  This is my order and the players I would choose from.  With the Jets spending a lot of time in Alabama and the push to almost sign Hightower from the Pats really has me thinking they may go with Foster.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

He's not.

Besides Zeke last year, when's the last time a top ten running back panned out? 

Kind of half the point of the stance is that Zeke hasn't necessarily panned out yet. He had a super rookie season, but nobody drafts any player that highly just to get 1-2 such seasons out of him. The very idea behind not taking RBs around the top 5 isn't fear that they will be busts; it's that even if they are good the likelihood is their career will be far shorter than someone really good at another position.

Disproportionate importance of the QB position aside, the other benefit is (if they pan out in the first place) they're far more likely to have 10-15 year starting careers than a RB starting for more than 5 years. Zeke looked terrific, but as of today it's still a guess that his career won't be on the downswing - if not essentially over - before those first 5 seasons are completed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Kind of half the point of the stance is that Zeke hasn't necessarily panned out yet. He had a super rookie season, but nobody drafts any player that highly just to get 1-2 such seasons out of him. The very idea behind not taking RBs around the top 5 isn't fear that they will be busts; it's that even if they are good the likelihood is their career will be far shorter than someone really good at another position.

Disproportionate importance of the QB position aside, the other benefit is (if they pan out in the first place) they're far more likely to have 10-15 year starting careers than a RB starting for more than 5 years. Zeke looked terrific, but as of today it's still a guess that his career won't be on the downswing - if not essentially over - before those first 5 seasons are completed.

The draft pick is about the first five years of the player's career, after that you're paying free agent prices. 

If they think a RB is a once in a generation type of talent, I have no problem taking him, franchising him a couple years, and getting a comp pick out of him as he approaches 30. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

on that board, Trubisky and Jamal Adams are value. I might be a lunatic but i want to take Pat Mahomes, even it if it's at 6. He's not making it that far down dudes. 

👏 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, slats said:

The draft pick is about the first five years of the player's career, after that you're paying free agent prices. 

If they think a RB is a once in a generation type of talent, I have no problem taking him, franchising him a couple years, and getting a comp pick out of him as he approaches 30. 

Well yes and no. I wouldn't presume that a coveted QB (for example), who's worth a new contract, will be available in free agency. Prices aside, most of the very top 5-10 yr veteran players are only available to the teams that first drafted them.

We couldn't sign Russell Wilson to a veteran FA contract no matter how much money we're willing to ante up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Am amazed at all the love for Howard, an underperforming TE in college.  At #6.  smh.

Because Lane Kiffin refused to use him as anything but a checkdown

 

But ya we should use the 6 pick on a qb who started 11 games

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thadude said:

Because Lane Kiffin refused to use him as anything but a checkdown

 

But ya we should use the 6 pick on a qb who started 11 games

It's amazing that people don't seem to grasp the concept that Alabama doesn't throw the football. Besides, He caught 114 passes for 1700 yards and 7 TDs in his career. That's not chicken feed.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Trubisky is on the board at 6, I take him unless I can accomplish a trade down that either gives me 2 1st round picks this year or 1 this year, 1 next year + additional picks .

If Trubisky is off the board at 6 and I can't trade out, then I hope Jamal Adams is still on the board . 

If both are gone and I have to make the pick at 6, I think I will take whoever I consider the best Edge rushing OLB in this draft . If that's Harris, then I take Harris .

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, peebag said:

 I can't believe there are Jet fans that want to draft a TE in the first round.....holy geebus cripes.....

I don't see why not, especially when he's a true TE .  I wouldn't thou .

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peebag said:

 I can't believe there are Jet fans that want to draft a TE in the first round.....holy geebus cripes.....

I'm with you, but when did you become scarred? After drafting Johnny Mitchel, Kyle Brady or Anthony Becht? It was Kyle Brady for me.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...