Who is your top choice at 6?

Lil Woody

Who is your top choice at 6?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. I listed the 10 most discussed potential options for the Jets at 6. Given your pick of any of them, with no trade down options on the table....who do you take at 6?

• OJ Howard, TE, Alabama
    • Jamal Adams, SS, LSU
    • Marshon Lattimore, CB, OSU
    • Malik Hooker, FS, OSU
    • Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
    • Derek Barnett, OLB, Tennessee
    • Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
    • Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan
    • Mitch Trubisky, QB, UNC
    • Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

on that board, Trubisky and Jamal Adams are value. I might be a lunatic but i want to take Pat Mahomes, even it if it's at 6. He's not making it that far down dudes. 

I would turn the key on ya .

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I'm with you, but when did you become scarred? After drafting Johnny Mitchel, Kyle Brady or Anthony Becht? It was Kyle Brady for me.

Hard not to scoff at that idea of Jets not being able to take a position because of past failures. I mean, if that's the case, then who can we draft?

20 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well yes and no. I wouldn't presume that a coveted QB (for example), who's worth a new contract, will be available in free agency. Prices aside, most of the very top 5-10 yr veteran players are only available to the teams that first drafted them.

We couldn't sign Russell Wilson to a veteran FA contract no matter how much money we're willing to ante up. 

QB is a different animal, obviously. We're talking about choosing between a RB, S, or TE here for the most part. I wouldn't let the potential length of the RB's career get in the way of drafting him if I thought he was the best available player. 

On 4/23/2017 at 9:03 AM, slats said:

QB is a different animal, obviously. We're talking about choosing between a RB, S, or TE here for the most part. I wouldn't let the potential length of the RB's career get in the way of drafting him if I thought he was the best available player. 

It's not just QB. One could say that about almost any high demand position, and that's why Russell Okung is the highest-paid LT in NFL history even though he's not among the game's current top LTs. The best of the best will only rarely reach FA until they're on the downside of their careers. Same with outside pass rushers. I want Von Miller. But even if the Jets were willing to outbid Denver by $5m/year, he's still not available.

As far as valuing the length of a top-5-ish draft pick's career, well then we don't agree, which is fine. RB (in particular) isn't merely a short-career position; it's also a low-dollar FA position, and further still is a position whose individual success is so dramatically dependent upon the play of so many others around him. Then, to boot, they're the highest injury risk on the field just due to the rough nature of the position.

Put it this way: how many starting RBs are more talented than Melvin Gordon or Todd Gurley, before they've even had a ton of wear & tear on their tires? Few. How many starters have been cumulatively more productive since they were drafted? Most. Neither of them has eclipsed 2000 rushing yards, let alone the 2500-3500 their respective teams surely hoped they'd have by now. But you put 30 year-old unwanted-FA LeGarrette Blount in the right situation, making the league minimum, and he leads the NFL in TDs.

Basically I wouldn't ideally want any of those 3 positions with the 6th pick. If we're not taking a high-dollar position (QB in particular) then I'd prefer to trade back and pick up an additional higher 2nd rounder and/or more. Nobody craves bad or bottom-tier players at TE, S, or RB. Just that adding 2-3 solid starters is going to have a bigger impact than the incremental difference at those lower-valued positions, and I don't accept that the #6 overall pick is requisite to get good production at those positions. JMO.

I think it was Gil Brandt who made the following comment regarding Founette:  When a safety see's Fournette coming his way, he is more than likely going to make a business decision and get out of the way.

I'm all about drafting Howard, Adams, Foster if Fournette is not on the board but if he is, that is my pick.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's not just QB. One could say that about almost any high demand position, and that's why Russell Okung is the highest-paid LT in NFL history even though he's not among the game's current top LTs. The best of the best won't reach FA until they're on the downside of their careers. Same with outside pass rushers. I want Von Miller. But even if the Jets were willing to outbid Denver by $5m/year, he's still not available.

As far as valuing the length of a top-5-ish draft pick's career, well then we don't agree, which is fine. RB (in particular) isn't merely a short-career position; it's also a low-dollar FA position, and further still is a position whose individual success is so dramatically dependent upon the play of so many others around him. Then, to boot, they're the highest injury risk on the field just due to the rough nature of the position.

Put it this way: how many starting RBs are more talented than Melvin Gordon or Todd Gurley, before they've even had a ton of wear & tear on their tires? Few. How many starters have been cumulatively more productive since they were drafted? Most. Neither of them has eclipsed 2000 rushing yards, let alone the 2500-3500 their respective teams surely hoped they'd have by now. But you put 30 year-old unwanted-FA LeGarrette Blount in the right situation, making the league minimum, and he leads the NFL in TDs.

Basically I wouldn't ideally want any of those 3 positions with the 6th pick. If we're not taking a high-dollar position (QB in particular) then I'd prefer to trade back and pick up an additional higher 2nd rounder and/or more. Nobody craves bad or bottom-tier players at TE, S, or RB. Just that adding 2-3 solid starters is going to have a bigger impact than the incremental difference at those lower-valued positions, and I don't accept that the #6 overall pick is requisite to get good production at those positions. JMO.

I'm really not advocating for the RB here. My first preference is to trade down. If that's impossible, I'd probably be looking towards the top pass rusher on my board at that point. Because while I'm a big proponent of the BAP philosophy, I definitely feel that positional value has to be taken into account. So a safety or a RB would really, really have to be head and shoulders above the QB, Edge, LT, WR that I'd prefer to take #6 overall. Unfortunately, in this draft, that could be the case. The Jets' best hope is that someone wants to trade into their spot for a QB or loves that safety or RB enough to make that move. This draft seems thin up top, but deep. It's the kind of draft where you want more picks, not less. I'm sure the vast number of GMs see it that way. I think a trade is gonna be tough to get. Mac couldn't get it done last year with Leonard Williams sitting there. I expect them to be taking a player when they're on the clock. 

You know what I'm going with my opinion after looking at all the prospects, and changing my stance of previous posts about the 6th pick IF Garrett, Adams, and Hooker are all gone, AND you can't trade out Pat Mahomes II is my pick at 6, **** it I think he is a future franchise QB who cares 3 years from know where you drafted him if he is proven capable of being your QB for a decade+!  AND if they do trade down to 12 the only player that I want them to pick is Pat Mahomes II period, would be completely disappointed if he is there, and they don't at 12, at 6 I'd understand it, wouldn't be happy about it, but at 12 I'll be livid.

4 hours ago, slats said:

I'm really not advocating for the RB here. My first preference is to trade down. If that's impossible, I'd probably be looking towards the top pass rusher on my board at that point. Because while I'm a big proponent of the BAP philosophy, I definitely feel that positional value has to be taken into account. So a safety or a RB would really, really have to be head and shoulders above the QB, Edge, LT, WR that I'd prefer to take #6 overall. Unfortunately, in this draft, that could be the case. The Jets' best hope is that someone wants to trade into their spot for a QB or loves that safety or RB enough to make that move. This draft seems thin up top, but deep. It's the kind of draft where you want more picks, not less. I'm sure the vast number of GMs see it that way. I think a trade is gonna be tough to get. Mac couldn't get it done last year with Leonard Williams sitting there. I expect them to be taking a player when they're on the clock. 

I don't think it's ever impossible anymore. There was a time once, like when Alex Smith was the #1 pick and no one wanted to guarantee him $25m on a rookie contract (today's equivalent of almost $50m guaranteed). But not anymore, and not for the #6 pick. They may not get full chart value, but someone is always willing to trade up. There's always some team (with fewer holes than the Jets) with specific needs at those positions where value allegedly presents itself at #6. 

Mac couldn't get it done when Leonard Williams was there because he is - or at least was - a poor + novice negotiator, incapable of swinging a big trade unless Chicago offers up Brandon Marshall for him on a silver platter because they just wanted to be rid of him and simultaneously wanted to remove WR from the Jets' draft needs that year. He also wasn't able to get a deal done for Wilkerson in back to back years. He wasn't - and still hasn't - been able to get a deal done for Richardson. Wasn't able to get a deal done to sign Snacks before his walk year. Wasn't able to swing a deal earlier for Brian Williams until his negotiating position had gone up in smoke. Not to mention his most famous failed negotiation with Ryan Fitzpatrick one year ago. This doesn't even get into another dozen-plus, significant negotiating & judgment screw-ups in his mere 2 years + a couple of months.

The Jets should hire an out of work used car salesman to handle negotiations. Couldn't be any worse than the dynamic duo of Mike Maccagnan and Jacqueline Davidson.

On 4/21/2017 at 10:14 PM, T0mShane said:

Solomon Thomas. I'm playing him at OLB.

dear tom shane, hi !..  

just a friendly fyi ,   solomon can NOT play olb in the NFL   B)

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

saw this..

Which teams are looking to trade up -- and down? Which players could be on the move? Which prospects are teams targeting?

The 2017 NFL draft is finally at hand, and our NFL Nation reporters are here to give one prediction for every team. Dig in. (And check out the full draft order -- all 253 picks -- here.)

~ ~  New York Jets

The Jets won't take a quarterback with the sixth pick.

There has been intense speculation, most of it surrounding Mitchell Trubisky, but the Jets will address another need at No. 6 overall and use the season to evaluate 2016 second-round pick Christian Hackenberg. If the Jets trade down from No. 6 or acquire a second pick in Round 1, the quarterback chances will increase. They've invested a lot of time in analyzing Patrick Mahomes. -- Rich Cimini

rest of above article : 

>     http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/page/32for32x170424/2017-nfl-draft-predictions-all-32-teams-round-1-trades-picks

1st pick in the 2nd round plus the 12th pick in the first round is better for us than who ever we take at #6.  Make the deal with Cleveland!!

If I'm making the pick I go with Adams.  Our secondary is horrible and we need a leader.  Yes Lattimore could be a great corner but Adams will improve the overall secondary way more.  I wouldn't mind Fournette or Howard but if we can swap with Cleveland, Howard is still a possibility at 12. .

On April 23, 2017 at 4:04 PM, NYDreamer said:

I think it was Gil Brandt who made the following comment regarding Founette:  When a safety see's Fournette coming his way, he is more than likely going to make a business decision and get out of the way.

I'm all about drafting Howard, Adams, Foster if Fournette is not on the board but if he is, that is my pick.

Did the Jets have Fournette in for an official visit?

As far as I can remember, the Jets only draft guys (1st round) they have had in for an official visit.  I cannot find a complete list but what I did find, did not have him listed.  If that's the case, I doubt he's the pick.

• 8 months later...

Every thread seems to have Mac bashing for passing on Watson yet as I scroll through posts right before the last draft, the pro Watson chants were minimal.  This thread (poll) is just one example of quite a few posts.  There is even one 10+plus page rating the Adams pick and it was overwhelmingly positive responses in a poll.   See link below

People seem up in arms that we passed AFTER seeing what the kid could do.  Get over it already!!!

5 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Every thread seems to have Mac bashing for passing on Watson yet as I scroll through posts right before the last draft, the pro Watson chants were minimal.  This thread (poll) is just one example of quite a few posts.  There is even one 10+plus page rating the Adams pick and it was overwhelmingly positive responses in a poll.   See link below

People seem up in arms that we passed AFTER seeing what the kid could do.  Get over it already!!!

Exactly. People are crying about Safety at 6 but wanted a TE at 6 instead.????? 

42 minutes ago, prime21 said:

So I picked OJ Howard but my genius also would have netted us Garoppolo, Cooks, Keenan Allen, Eifert, DeCastro, La'el Collins, Warmack and Elflein. Among many other tremendous defensive contributions

righteous.

Archived