ESPN Head Cuts

mphtrilogy

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More notable cuts;

Eamonn Brennan who ran the Bubble Watch for the NCAA tournament is out.

So is JIm Bowden , ex MLB GM and baseball analyst.

Brett McMurphy a top college football reporter is gone

C.L. Brown, another CB reporter gone.

It seem the cuts are hitting hockey and teh college sports

3 hours ago, mphtrilogy said:

Some that some big cuts coming today at ESPN, on air talent, right before the Draft as well...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/espn-will-cut-100-air-personalities-today-123057142.html

just saw NFL dude Ed Werder was cut

https://twitter.com/Edwerderespn

The "PC" content that they have jammed down our throats is partly responsible.

Im too lazy to switch but I dont watch very much ESPN.

But the WNBA coverage etc is pure garbage.

Look at the new afternoon shows and their radio shows.

Dan LeBetard?  I think we all know why he has a show..its unwatchable.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

This pretty much saws it all:

Tony Bruno‏ @TonyBrunoShow

Massive ESPN layoffs underway. Hockey eliminated, but those left behind will be assigned to follow Lebron James 24/7 #BristolBloodbath

Ever notice..in most of the NBA games that are NOT in the top 6 cities..they never pan out and show all the empty seats.

I think this new announcement will get me to also drop ESPN.

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

PART2-HQ-Studio-029.jpg

This is the only show I watch on there other than College football.  It's hilarious!!!

Timing means i only get to see if the odd time but it is very funny, the dad carries the show but the other two play pretty good straight men for it.

17 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Ever notice..in most of the NBA games that are NOT in the top 6 cities..they never pan out and show all the empty seats.

I think this new announcement will get me to also drop ESPN.

The attendance numbers outside of the big city teams are fantasyland nonsense. And the national TV ratings spare the last few rounds of the playoffs are in the toilet.Sure the Celtics, Knicks, Lakers, Bulls, Cavs and Warriors have solid local TV numbers. But the rest are garbage. The Nets have perhaps the nicest arena in the league, surrounded by some great restaurants and bars on top of a public  transit hub and they cannot draw flies. When you add in the salary cap nonsense letting you know that a good team is years off, the economic model is broken. 

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The attendance numbers outside of the big city teams are fantasyland nonsense. And the national TV ratings spare the last few rounds of the playoffs are in the toilet.Sure the Celtics, Knicks, Lakers, Bulls, Cavs and Warriors have solid local TV numbers. But the rest are garbage. The Nets have perhaps the nicest arena in the league, surrounded by some great restaurants and bars on top of a public  transit hub and they cannot draw flies. When you add in the salary cap nonsense letting you know that a good team is years off, the economic model is broken. 

I cant watch.  Its parkside ball, walking, slam dunks.  

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I cant watch.  Its parkside ball, walking, slam dunks.  

Basketball is by far the most boring of all major sports. Insanely repetitive and the only sport where intentionally committing fouls can give you an advantage

9 minutes ago, Bugg said:

I think the theory of the cap is sound, but the application is asinine:

League: "OK guys, look, we're going to put a cap in place so that three teams can't just dominate the sp..."

Mike Maccagnan: "WOOOOO I JUST GAVE BUSTER SKRINE THIRTY MIL BABY."

I understand ESPN needs to re-tool. I think everyone has talked about that for a few years & acknowledged this. But in theses discussions we've all said they need to move away from the TMZ & Hot Take type entertainment. What people loved was watching the highlights & then hearing some insight about the games, especially guys who played. Not Stephen A Smiths opinion on whatever topic. They could easily achieve this & with how big fantasy sports are you can come up with good content. ESPN can be salvaged, BUT after reading the article & seeing the below quote from one of the top brass, there is no hope for them.  

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/espn-will-cut-100-air-personalities-today-123057142.html

As examples of success in its current strategy, the statement touts: the midnight SportsCenter hosted by Scott Van Pelt; the new 6pm SportsCenter (“The Six”) hosted by Jemele Hill and Michael Smith

Neither of these shows are what people want. They want less of this. I don't care about your sports hosts personalities, I care about the game that was played!! 

They can blame the Internet all they want the real reason is ESPN has sucked since the mid 90's.  It became the New England fanboy network in the 2000s.  Nauseating boy-love for the pats and Red Sox

Stephen A Smith is annoying and stupid.  Max Kellerman is charmless 

20 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

I understand ESPN needs to re-tool. I think everyone has talked about that for a few years & acknowledged this. But in theses discussions we've all said they need to move away from the TMZ & Hot Take type entertainment. What people loved was watching the highlights & then hearing some insight about the games, especially guys who played. Not Stephen A Smiths opinion on whatever topic. They could easily achieve this & with how big fantasy sports are you can come up with good content. ESPN can be salvaged, BUT after reading the article & seeing the below quote from one of the top brass, there is no hope for them.  

Neither of these shows are what people want. They want less of this. I don't care about your sports hosts personalities, I care about the game that was played!! 

The problem is the talking heads shows are cheap to produce -- if your not paying anyone

ESPN is getting rid of its high paid on air "talent"

32 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

I actually liked Michael Smith and Jemele Hill when they sat in on Sports reporters for example.  But together?  Its like sitting in an urban barber shop. They simply dont seem to be talking to me.  Watching Smith get overly emotional in description, speaking more "urban" than he does when he's on another show tells me all I need to know. This show, WNBA coverage make me rarely put ESPN on.

17 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This thread is so America.

A bunch of people have no jobs, because of a corporation... and a bunch of dumb white people thinks it's because: black people.

Insecure white men are so easy to manipulate.

Someone should run a platform of bringing back "good ole fashioned sports" back

20 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

A bunch of people have no jobs, because of a corporation... and a bunch of dumb white people thinks it's because: black people.

I had a good chuckle at how wrong this is. 

27 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

ESPN has been parading around Mr Dumb White Conservative Man himself Skip Bayless for 10 years until he recently jumped ship for Fox.

Skip Bayless would argue for months how Tim Tebow was better than Cam Newton and Andrew Luck

Talk about "urban" bias

4 hours ago, mphtrilogy said:

Some that some big cuts coming today at ESPN, on air talent, right before the Draft as well...

I don't understand why the NY press is making such a big deal about this.  Does anyone even watch ESPN anymore?  I haven't in years.

SAR I

Archived