ESPN Head Cuts

mphtrilogy

Just now, SAR I said:

I don't understand why the NY press is making such a big deal about this.  Does anyone even watch ESPN anymore?  I haven't in years.

SAR I

it's getting press because the sports media likes to cover the sports media more than anything else.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Matt39 said:

it's getting press because the sports media likes to cover the sports media more than anything else.

That makes sense.  I missed this whole thread.....can you fill me in why we're blaming black people for this?

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

That makes sense.  I missed this whole thread.....can you fill me in why we're blaming black people for this?

SAR I

That's lost on me. People are cutting the cord and ESPN completely misread the market for regular season NBA basketball.

16 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Someone should run a platform of bringing back "good ole fashioned sports" back

Make Athletics Great Again

12 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

I had a good chuckle at how wrong this is. 

Sure you did.

7 minutes ago, thadude said:

ESPN has been parading around Mr Dumb White Conservative Man himself Skip Bayless for 10 years until he recently jumped ship for Fox.

Skip Bayless would argue for months how Tim Tebow was better than Cam Newton and Andrew Luck

Talk about "urban" bias

Don't tack onto my remarks - you add zero value.

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I don't think that's whats going on, that's a ridiculous argument. I think it's an all encompassing issue where ESPN moved from sports highlights & insights to making it all about these talking head journalists, basically becoming a TMZ type network when all people wanted were highlights not Skip Bayliss or Stephen A Smiths 'Hot Take'. You combine this with the advances in technology to where people have another option to watch what they want & a few bad investments by ESPN and you're in the spot that ESPN is in. 

2 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

I don't think that's whats going on, that's a ridiculous argument. I think it's an all encompassing issue where ESPN moved from sports highlights & insights to making it all about these talking head journalists, basically becoming a TMZ type network when all people wanted were highlights not Skip Bayliss or Stephen A Smiths 'Hot Take'. You combine this with the advances in technology to where people have another option to watch what they want & a few bad investments by ESPN and you're in the spot that ESPN is in. 

I like radio Stephen A Smith.  Especially when he used to be paired with Ryan Rucco.  I hate TV Stephen A.  

4 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Ed Werder out, in will be some blonde bimbo or ethnic replacement that knows half as much but has more twitter followers....

3rd comment of the thread.

3 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

I don't think you understand what you supposedly chuckled at.

The transformation into a TMZ network, to many of the groaners is "the urbanization"... which is code for: black people taking our sh*t away from us.

You call it a ridiculous argument, then you reinforce what I said - which is that this is a corporate thing. Perhaps you didn't understand my initial post?

5 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

I like radio Stephen A Smith.  Especially when he used to be paired with Ryan Rucco.  I hate TV Stephen A.  

You are supposed to hate him. That's his character.

People tune in to all sorts of radio/tv personalities SPECIFICALLY because they disagree with them. Francessa. Bill Oreilly. The list goes on. This is a common format. People love to be angry. Corporations understand this and exploit it. Our society is mentally ill.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

This thread is so America.

A bunch of people have no jobs, because of a corporation... and a bunch of dumb white people thinks it's because: black people.

Insecure white men are so easy to manipulate.

ESPN's decisions have been great........that's why they're firing 100 people...

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I think the theory of the cap is sound, but the application is asinine:

League: "OK guys, look, we're going to put a cap in place so that three teams can't just dominate the sp..."

Mike Maccagnan: "WOOOOO I JUST GAVE BUSTER SKRINE THIRTY MIL BABY."

Problem with the cap is it suppresses salaries supposedly for "competitive balance". And all these sports put them in when there was a  big market/small market issue. That's less of a problem than ever.It doesn't do anything for competitive balance.   It's really only acts as a drag on salaries.If a team is that bad $ wise, move. Gary Bettman is all set to have another work stoppage because....he needed to keep an unsupported franchise in Arizona?  Otherwise we are to believe fiscally smart guys (spare lucky sperm club guys like Robert Wood Johnson III) are too dumb to be trusted with their own checkbooks. 

Told this before, but a neighbor grew up in Philly and is a huge Iggles fan. The worst part of this is now fans are encouraged to pretend there is some trophy awarded for cap management(call it the Anti Billy King Trophy , perhaps). Guy is always crowing about the genius of the Iggles, who thus far have won nothing since Chuck Bednarik was on their roster. Now contracts and team finances are always going to be a story. But there are days on talk radio that it consists of talking heads breaking down the cap and contracts and when this guy's contract is up. It's the worst possible thing you can imagine.If I ran a talk radio station and anyone did that they would be fired before the next commercial (not sure how Screaming A Smith has a job, but I digress, ESPN will  not fire him ever so he can do exactly that daily.)  And as if the games aren't bad enough  with the NBA it has overtaken the games themselves. That is not good for any sport. 

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Please....  Its not sports. DL appeals to the uhh... rainbow crowd. Thats why he has a show.

I like the show and I am not part of the rainbow crowd. If I had to identify I'd probably say fiscally conservative, socially moderate..But the dynamic between him and his dad resonates with me. Plus they are funny. I might not agree with his politics all the time, but sometimes I do.  But that's just filler. The show is sports comedy. Nothing more. I like it because it doesn't take itself too seriously. Unlike the Jamele Hill/Michael Smith or the Kellerman/Steven A Smith combo shows where they are actively trying to take on every social justice issue through their sports platform. F*ck right off on that noise buddy. I'm here for sports coverage, not your political indoctrinatation sermons.

24 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

ESPN's decisions have been great........that's why they're firing 100 people...

Don't think it's black or white, more dumbing down. And there is nothing dumber than the NBA. The players don't care, the seats are often empty, the TV ratings are in the toilet,  and the ads are not paying the freight. And ABC/ESPN is paying serious money for what is right now spare the last 2 rounds of playoffs total crap. 

5 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Don't think it's balck or white, more dumbing down. And there is nothing dumber than the NBA. The players don't care, the seats are often empty, the TV ratings are in the toilet,  and the ads are not paying the freight. And ABC/ESPN is paying serious money for what is right now spare the last 2 rounds of playoffs total crap. 

It has nothing to do with race, it has to do with competency. It's just that ESPN sees race first which makes their programming sub par. 

There are plenty of amazing black and female reporters. My faves are Wilbon and Jason Whitlock. But ESPN just hires some people based solely on race and/or being a loud mouth with nothing intelligent to say.

3rd comment of the thread.

I don't think you understand what you supposedly chuckled at.

The transformation into a TMZ network, to many of the groaners is "the urbanization"... which is code for: black people taking our sh*t away from us.

You call it a ridiculous argument, then you reinforce what I said - which is that this is a corporate thing. Perhaps you didn't understand my initial post?

I didn't reinforce your ridiculous argument at all. There are/were plenty of White ESPN on-air personalities who were there for their 'Hot Takes'. You can't argue the fact that ESPN changed the model of what made them successful & that was Highlights & Insights. It doesn't matter what color the host of an ESPN show is - it could be Stephen A, Skip Bayliss, Dan Le Betard, Jim Rome, Michael Wilbon, Tony Kornheiser, Michael Smith etc.. No one cares that much about what they have to say. Show us the highlights, throw in some witty jokes & get on with the programming. 

40 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

I like the show and I am not part of the rainbow crowd. If I had to identify I'd probably say fiscally conservative, socially moderate..But the dynamic between him and his dad resonates with me. Plus they are funny. I might not agree with his politics all the time, but sometimes I do.  But that's just filler. The show is sports comedy. Nothing more. I like it because it doesn't take itself too seriously. Unlike the Jamele Hill/Michael Smith or the Kellerman/Steven A Smith combo shows where they are actively trying to take on every social justice issue through their sports platform. F*ck right off on that noise buddy. I'm here for sports coverage, not your political indoctrinatation sermons.

That was well stated. I listened to "CarTalk" on NPR for 20 years even though I despise 90 percent of NPR. When I listen to DL, I hear a whiney sports lover who critiques sports he never even played as a kid.  I respect that you enjoy it.  I detest it. BUT... in that column I do enjoy around the horn and PTI although I cant watch it much due to work.  

What in the crap are you talking about? Who are you trying to score points with?

You are supposed to hate him. That's his character.

People tune in to all sorts of radio/tv personalities SPECIFICALLY because they disagree with them. Francessa. Bill Oreilly. The list goes on. This is a common format. People love to be angry. Corporations understand this and exploit it. Our society is mentally ill.

100%.

He's basically a pro wrestling villain. He feeds as much on people hating him as liking him.

42 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It has nothing to do with race, it has to do with competency. It's just that ESPN sees race first which makes their programming sub par. 

There are plenty of amazing black and female reporters. My faves are Wilbon and Jason Whitlock. But ESPN just hires some people based solely on race and/or being a loud mouth with nothing intelligent to say.

lol jeeebus chrizzzzmazzzzz

19 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

I didn't reinforce your ridiculous argument at all. There are/were plenty of White ESPN on-air personalities who were there for their 'Hot Takes'. You can't argue the fact that ESPN changed the model of what made them successful & that was Highlights & Insights. It doesn't matter what color the host of an ESPN show is - it could be Stephen A, Skip Bayliss, Dan Le Betard, Jim Rome, Michael Wilbon, Tony Kornheiser, Michael Smith etc.. No one cares that much about what they have to say. Show us the highlights, throw in some witty jokes & get on with the programming. 

Yea, you did. Oh well. 

55 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Did you know Wilnon is from the south side of Chicago? How could you not, ******* guy sure reminds people enough. 

Archived