^^^The official 2017 NFL Draft Day Thread^^^

InstantClassic

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jones' limited reps at cornerback may work in his favor as secondary coaches could see him as a moldable prospect they can try and develop from scratch. He's got the length and explosion traits that will appeal to teams looking for tall, press corners. However, his play strength must improve. Jones is unlikely to get drafted but could be an interesting project for a team looking to use him in a press-and-trail coverage.

3 minutes ago, The Troll said:

Is offensive line still a thing or did they do away with it in a rule change? Asking for a GM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lousy year for o-line. No sense taking one just to take one

Done and Done.

NFL Draft 2017:
1st Round (#6 Overall):  Jamal Adams, SS, LSU, 6'0" 214

2nd Round (#38):  Marcus Maye, SS, Florida, 6'0" 210
3rd Round (#79):  ArDarius Stewart, WR, Alabama, 5'11" 204

4th Round (#141):  Chad Hansen, WR, California, 6'2" 202
5th Round (#150):  Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson, 6'5" 258
5th Round (#181):  Dylan Donahue, DL, West Georgia, 6'3" 248
6th Round (#188):  Elijah McGuire, RB, Louisiana-Lafayette, 5'10" 214  
6th Round (#191):  Traded for a 2018 5th Round Pick

6th Round (#197):    Jeremy Clark, CB, Michigan, 6'3" 220
6th Round (#204):  Derrick Jones, CB, Mississippi, 6'2" 188

Honestly, it's tolerable.

If we had drafted QB Peterman ~ where we drafted the special teamer Donahue, I'd have been much happier overall.

But two CB's, two Safeties, 2 WR's, a TE, a RB and a Special Teamer tackler, isn't a bad haul.  

If they work out.

From the Rex era where the gm did everything he could to give the D genius toys to the Bowles era where the Gm has done everything he can to give him toys.

Well I guess we will see soon enough if any if these guys have promise or not.  A bizarre draft all the way around, good or bad it had suspense.

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Jets start the draft picking 2 DB's and they end it by drafting 2 DB's. 

This ******* train wreck of a draft is finally over. 

Oh, and Nathan Peterman is a Bill. 

Thought I heard it's a passing league. 

4 DBs...2 WRs. 1 TE. 1 RB.

So tell us why this was a sh*t draft. 

I will just suggest, that if Macc did not get equal value trading down out of 6, this site, as a majority, would have gone ballistic. 
That said, I don't think the Chiefs felt the need to move above 10 to get Mahomes. Although, I will concede that I hear that the Giants were trying to get up for Mahomes. That does not mean it was at the Jets spot though.
Peter King had it that the Texans were ver much "in" on Watson before the draft. He stated that they felt he would go "early teens" though. So, unsure if the Texans felt the need to go up to 6.
I am just wondering what th trade partners could have been for the Jets. I would have LOVED proper value there as well.

The board would have exploded a hell of a lot worse than drafting 2 safeties. We don't need to stockpile picks for the 1st puck next year. Chances are we'll be sitting there anyway. Hack is going to play this year and have terrible weapons. He'll stink, we'll draft Darnold 1st overall, he'll stink in his rookie year because he too will have no weapons, a we'll all be screaming for heads again.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Done and Done.

NFL Draft 2017:
1st Round (#6 Overall):  Jamal Adams, SS, LSU, 6'0" 214

2nd Round (#38):  Marcus Maye, SS, Florida, 6'0" 210
3rd Round (#79):  ArDarius Stewart, WR, Alabama, 5'11" 204

4th Round (#141):  Chad Hansen, WR, California, 6'2" 202
5th Round (#150):  Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson, 6'5" 258
5th Round (#181):  Dylan Donahue, DL, West Georgia, 6'3" 248
6th Round (#188):  Elijah McGuire, RB, Louisiana-Lafayette, 5'10" 214  
6th Round (#191):  Traded for a 2018 5th Round Pick

6th Round (#197):    Jeremy Clark, CB, Michigan, 6'3" 220
6th Round (#204):  Derrick Jones, CB, Mississippi, 6'2" 188

Honestly, it's tolerable.

If we had drafted QB Peterman ~ where we drafted the special teamer Donahue, I'd have been much happier overall.

But two CB's, two Safeties, 2 WR's, a TE, a RB and a Special Teamer tackler, isn't a bad haul.  

If they work out.

If you go back a few pages and see all the 6th rounder the jets have taken in about the last 15 years it may shake you confidence.  If one of these 6th rounders amounts to anything it will be a good showing

Lousy year for o-line. No sense taking one just to take one

They've taken four offensive linemen in the last five years, none before the fourth round. Are there no offensive linemen every year or is the organizational philosophy just ****ed?

1 minute ago, Powpow said:

He wasn't even projected to be drafted

The last two picks are for 2018, not this upcoming season.  If they like the upside, and see future value, there is nothing wrong with investing for the future.  This is not a one-year turnaround, so forward vision isn't a bad thing.

1 minute ago, The Troll said:

They've taken four offensive linemen in the last five years, none before the fourth round. Are there no offensive linemen every year or is the organizational philosophy just ****ed?

When you think about it they should draft 22 pro bowlers every year

I guess we'll see how things turn out.  The one thing i am sorely disappointed in is only one viable pass rush prospect and he is a 25 year old small school long shot in a draft that had a lot of edge rushers.  Wr battles in camp this year should be interesting. 

1 minute ago, ChuckkieB said:

If you substitute Dalvin Cook for Marcus Maye this draft would have been an A+++.  Otherwise, I'm fairly pleased.  Time to put on the pads and get to work!

Too many injuries, too many fumbles and off field concerns. No thanks. 

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

If, as I hear is the case with MCCown, he is a great qb mentor, then I consider it money well spent

Any proof of that? He's been in the league for 1000 years and has played on every team atleast twice. 

Who has he mentored that has done something respectable in this league? 

6'2" 4.48  STs while developing as CB? 

Pos: 
Athletic prospect who saw action at both cornerback and receiver for Mississippi. Has excellent length, plays athletic football and shows good hands for the pick. Fluid moving about the field, nicely adjusts to the ball and has a good move to the throw.

Neg: 
Marginally productive throughout his college career and does not have a large body of work.

Analysis: 
Jones is a project in the works but has the size and athleticism to stash on a practice squad with the hopes of developing him into a dime back.

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Any proof of that? He's been in the league for 1000 years and has played on every team atleast twice. 

Who has he mentored that has done something respectable in this league? 

Saw it on a report this morning (it may have been Mayock) where he told the story that the biggest reason the jets were in on McCown, was that he is considered to be a valuable QB mentor. That is all I got.

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Saw it on a report this morning (it may have been Mayock) where he told the story that the biggest reason the jets were in on McCown, was that he is considered to be a valuable QB mentor. That is all I got.

That's not good enough for me personally. This is why when people talk about Glennon and his pricetag I sit with a look on my face like "We just paid McCown 6 million after just finishing paying Fitzpatrick 12 million". 

Archived