• D-
    • F+
    • F
    • F-

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I would be stunned if this group actually drafts Willis, but if they do, I'll feel a lot better.

Wouldnt go nuts over King or Awuzie, but Id much prefer the pass rusher. Jets generally go offense round 2 and it never works.

I'll be honest. I know very little about these guys outside of what I read in scouting reports from draft experts because i'm not a huge College Football fan. On paper, it looks like a great pick. Everyone loves this guy. We'll see how he plays.

The only thing is that I really wanted a top flight cover safety. I liked Hookers scouting report a little more. It sounds like he has really good cover and ball skills. The Jets have gone with a guy who is more of a strong safety again but it does sound like his game is pretty complete and he's certainly not a liability in the passing game.

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

It isn't about whether he's a good player or not. He can be Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed, and Sean Taylor rolled into one. It's still a terrible pick considering the current state of this roster. The defense is littered with first round picks. The offense has none, and as a result, isn't a threat to anyone. We can't afford to take safeties with a top 10 pick.

Yesterday was as disastrous as it could possibly get.

Adams may be a good SS> But when you start talking about "leaderhsiP' ...really WTF are you talking about ?The Jets continue top pick defense and getting nowhere. No DC is looking at this offense and saying we have to stop this guy. The complete lack of talent, zero threat means the jets are now penciled in as an easy win for everyone. 

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hes an A+ player but for our team the pick was an F.  

You cannot keep neglicting the offense year after year.

What specific offensive player would you have picked? I mean, it's great to have a philosophy. Now bring it down to the reality of this draft.

17 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Total fail. He plays strong safety. If you wanted to do that, for whatever reason, at least take the athlete from UCONN. This kid is Mark Barron 2.0. An in the box safety in 2017 because he's a leader or whatever just goes to show Bowles is a stooge and Maccagnan does what he asks.

Must not watch a lot of football

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Must not watch a lot of football

He goes through all the forms of coverage assignments he had at LSU, pulling up examples. We see zone from a strong safety spot. Man coverage out of the same look. Help-coverage from free safety. Iso-coverage against a tight end split out wide. Man-to-man in the slot.

“I love it,” he says. “For some reason, certain people want to knock me for my coverage. I gave up one ball over 20 yards”—he’s talking about the Louisville game—“and a lot of people knocked me for my coverage. So when I hear somebody say, ‘He’s a box safety, his coverage ability is not great,’ that just triggers me. It’s like, are you really doing your job to where you’re watching film? You can ask any coach here. That’s what separates me from the pack.”

I wanted offense or a trade down but I gave it an A.  BAP and a need.  This draft is more than one round, so I think what happens next can determine if this pick was good or not, and I hope they know what the hell they're doing.  Plenty of solid players left on both sides of the ball so I'm not freaking out.  This pick could have been MUCH worse.  

F-. No value unless he become an All Pro and even then the impact of a hybrid corner safety that is NOT a ballhawk, and he is not is exceedingly limited. Macc showed a huge amount of incompetence last night, especially if he  had equitable offers to trade down, and outright fireable if any of those offers including 2 firsts. The Jets suck because the staff that Woody hires are terrible football people, and ultra conservative defensive coaches that refuse to adapt to the modern NFL.

I have yet to see an expert that hated the pick. Very interesting reaction here.

As for trading down (which many people here have whined to do), I think once Trubisky was gone, that went out the window. Because I don't see KC trying to jump from 27 to 6.

• 8 months later...
On 4/28/2017 at 9:28 AM, Bugg said:

How does this team score points? Again, might be a very good safety, but so what. You can get a servicable one later, not so with key offense slots. This franchise continues to overvalue defense and against all the evidence pretend they can get offensive talent alter in the draft or off the street. 

I agree if he were so good why did we need to draft another safety. One who I believe is the better of the two. Mahomes did more in one game than Adams did in a whole season. So are we going back to back tight ends this year?

1 hour ago, Harlemnite1 said:

I agree if he were so goo why did we need to draft another safety. One who I believe is the better of the two. Mahomes did more in one game than Adams did in a whole season. So are we going back to back tight ends this year?

1.)Uhm..because we fired 2 safeties last year..not one. Therefore we had to grab two safeties..not one.

2.) ...This is idiotic on a whole other level. Mahomes threw for 200 some yards with zero TD’s and an Interception. Plus, who compares 16 games of S production to 1 game of QB production anyway..? Please tell me how you calculate the amount of production from both of these players and tally any kind of coherent results. How tf does any of that make sense? Jesus.

On 4/27/2017 at 9:28 PM, Bugg said:

How does this team score points? Again, might be a very good safety, but so what. You can get a servicable one later, not so with key offense slots. This franchise continues to overvalue defense and against all the evidence pretend they can get offensive talent alter in the draft or off the street. 

Adams does provide offense. Unfortunately it’s for the opposition. 

3 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

I was right then, still right now.  Should have taken Watson.  Mac is stupid.

To be honest I wasn’t to aware of either Adams or Watson’s potential skill set. I didn’t see them play much and just went off the hype from draft profiles etc.  I saw Watson a bit and was leary of him since he wasn’t a prototypical pocket QB. Adams was getting crazy hype so I was amazed he was there at 6. But NOW, after seeing both play on the big stage, I have to admit, I couldn’t have been more wrong about Watson being an amazing talent and Adams playing like a chicken who lost his head.  It’s a shame Watson was injured as he was easily on his way to rookie of the year and dare I say MVP. If you have the vision to see how impressive Watson was and the impact he could have, it’s a no brainer you take him at 6, especially since we were so desperate for a franchise QB. You take the risk and keep drafting a QB until you hit as so many in here insist.  Safeties are a dime a dozen, franchise QB’s are gifts from the football Gods. As it is, Mac blew this as the Jets couldn’t trade their whole 2018 draft to the Texans (and throw in Adams) for Watson - even coming off an injury. 

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/10/deshaun-watson-stats-houston-texans-nfl-draft

Archived