safety is not how u build a team

kmnj

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You build teams w great players. Adams is a great prospect so if he becomes a great player nobody is ever going to care they took him at 6. If he becomes great and plays here for 9 years he potentially goes down as a favorite all time Jet. can't just reach on QBs every year. 

3 decades  of history show this is not a great move

you dont build a team with a freaking safety

reed was not part of a rebuild he was late first round and on a very good team

hawks went line man first over thomas

only guy in 30 years taken in a similar spot was berry -the rest of the safeties taken early bust out

The guys cheering this cheered pryor and that worked out just great so we follow history yet again.

Jets have MONSTER holes on offense and in this league you need to score points.  The jets keep ignoring offense while at the same time losing players on offense as well

10 minutes ago, HessStation said:

You build teams w great players. Adams is a great prospect so if he becomes a great player nobody is ever going to care they took him at 6. If he becomes great and plays here for 9 years he potentially goes down as a favorite all time Jet. can't just reach on QBs every year. 

once a decade a team has hit on a safety -ravens were not re building and took late first round, thomas was hawks second pick-berry is the only guy

the same guys cheering this loved the pryor move

8 minutes ago, kmnj said:

3 decades  of history show this is not a great move

you dont build a team with a freaking safety

reed was not part of a rebuild he was late first round and on a very good team

hawks went line man first over thomas

only guy in 30 years taken in a similar spot was berry -the rest of the safeties taken early bust out

The guys cheering this cheered pryor and that worked out just great so we follow history yet again.

Jets have MONSTER holes on offense and in this league you need to score points.  The jets keep ignoring offense while at the same time losing players on offense as well

The Ravens went 7-9 in Ed Reed's first season.  That's not very good. 

8 hours ago, kmnj said:

we all know today is an offense dominated league but lets examine past three decades as well

in round one since since 1990 -only true impact players at the position

thomas for the hawks-he was their second pick round one-first was a tackle

reed for the ravens-towards end of round one

berry for the chiefs -fifth pick

pretty much on avg a player a decade is a hit at safety round one and only one was picked higher than Adams in berry

He will be a good player but three decades of history show safety is not where you go round one especially when you have one pick and your team has a dreadful offense

I was on this forum yelling for months that we better take offense. But I am also on record the last few days saying that if Jamal Adams somehow fell to us, we had to take him. You don't pass up on a A+ player for a B+ player to fill a need, especially when the A+ player also fills a need. 

If we had gone WR, or TE or RB, you could easily have said the same thing about not building a team around a WR or TE. 

Let's just hope they go offense heavy on day 2. 

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

once a decade a team has hit on a safety -ravens were not re building and took late first round, thomas was hawks second pick-berry is the only guy

The last part is an untrue, blanket statement. The whole post is a giant strongman. There's no crystal ball w any of these guys. Leading up to the drafts Pryor was a consensus 2nd round pick who was considered a first round reach. Adams was a top 5 prospect throughout the whole process. As a side note, Sean Taylor comes to mind as another early 1st round success. Adams wasn't my first choice either but I'm a layman fan, I'm going to give the pick a chance before destroying it. They didn't pass up on any consensus no brainer, they basically took the consensus no brainer, granted at a non premium position. 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

The Ravens went 7-9 in Ed Reed's first season.  That's not very good. 

and what were they the year that finished before they drafted him and the year before that? the ravens had a good team which is why there were drafting at the end of the first round

jets have holes all over I would have traded for more picks and worked on the offense

8 minutes ago, kmnj said:

I hated the Pryor pick and love this pick.  

Anyone who is claiming that Adams is a box safety hasn’t even taken 5 minutes to read up on him to form an educated opinion.  Pryor isn’t a good NFL player because he cant cover – all he can do is make big hits, which isn’t important, and never had good fundamentals coming out.  Adams, has off the charts fundamentals and character.  On the field, he is a superb tackler and has the athletic ability to cover a TE or WR out of the slot in man coverage – allowing the rest of the defense to be more versatile.  Pryor actually needs to be protected as he cant cover anyone other then a slower TE.

Adams started as a true freshman for an SEC defense and has had every single coach, scout and draft analyst heap praise on his leadership, and ability to QB the defense.  He is a true leader and ABSOLUTELY the kind of player you build a young team around.  Leo, Adams, Lee and Jordan Jenkins are now the core of the Jets defense going forward – none of whom are over 23 years old.

Just now, BCJet said:

I hated the Pryor pick and love this pick.  

Anyone who is claiming that Adams is a box safety hasn’t even taken 5 minutes to read up on him to form an educated opinion.  Pryor isn’t a good NFL player because he cant cover – all he can do is make big hits, which isn’t important, and never had good fundamentals coming out.  Adams, has off the charts fundamentals and character.  On the field, he is a superb tackler and has the athletic ability to cover a TE or WR out of the slot in man coverage – allowing the rest of the defense to be more versatile.  Pryor actually needs to be protected as he cant cover anyone other then a slower TE.

Adams started as a true freshman for an SEC defense and has had every single coach, scout and draft analyst heap praise on his leadership, and ability to QB the defense.  He is a true leader and ABSOLUTELY the kind of player you build a young team around.  Leo, Adams, Lee and Jordan Jenkins are now the core of the Jets defense going forward – none of whom are over 23 years old.

I never claimed he is a box safety not once. I said you dont build a team around a safety-nobody has won that way in 30 years -teams with glaring needs trade top picks for more picks and address needs and find playmakers if not true stud is out there

3 minutes ago, kmnj said:

we got a player that should be good but if you think safety is the way to build a team you are nuts-the smart move was trade down and get more picks and build the offense up

Yup.  If Mcc were truly interested in rebuilding the team, he should have traded down for picks.  But that's what happens when you have the three stooges at owner, GM and HC.

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

and what were they the year that finished before they drafted him and the year before that? the ravens had a good team which is why there were drafting at the end of the first round

jets have holes all over I would have traded for more picks and worked on the offense

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

we got a player that should be good but if you think safety is the way to build a team you are nuts-the smart move was trade down and get more picks and build the offense up

You keep saying "build a team" it's Big Mac's 3rd draft.  The building blocks are Williams (stud), Lee (scary but maybe), Adams (pretty much guaranteed stud).

Now he's got to buck the trend and find a starter in the 2nd round.

You used the Ravens as an example, one of the reasons they were great is because they had leaders/HOF'ers at every level of the D.  Ngata/Suggs - Lewis - Reed.  I'm not saying we have that...but it's a similar formula.

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

They had a solid nucleus of players. They could afford to make a luxury pick.

that is the difference-if we were two years from a superbowl or a playoff caliber team this pick makes way more sense

at this point in a rebuild and no top stud playmaker on the board you trade and get more picks that is how you build a team

2 hours ago, shawn306 said:

When you are as talent starved as the Jets are you do not reach at 6. You take a guy who you know will contribute and be a foundation guy from day 1.

Adams was rated as the second best player on many boards. This was a no brainer 

Yup. If you believe the Jets are in rebuild mode for the next two years, you do exactly that. I think what hasn't been focused on enough is that he is by all accounts the best football player in the top five. He plays with aggression, high motor, and is highly athletic. From that standpoint, he is a complete package. Short-term, the pick will seem a luxury. Long-term, the pick is excellent. I'm guessing we go corner in round 2. There are some studs on the board.

Just now, kmnj said:

that is the difference-if we were two years from a superbowl or a playoff caliber team this pick makes way more sense

at this point in a rebuild and no top stud playmaker on the board you trade and get more picks that is how you build a team

And you would think that using our first pick the last NINE YEARS on a defensive player would give us more than the dog shyte defense we put out on the field last season.

Just now, JiF said:

You keep saying "build a team" it's Big Mac's 3rd draft.  The building blocks are Williams (stud), Lee (scary but maybe), Adams (pretty much guaranteed stud).

Now he's got to buck the trend and find a starter in the 2nd round.

You used the Ravens as an example, one of the reasons they were great is because they had leaders/HOF'ers at every level of the D.  Ngata/Suggs - Lewis - Reed.  I'm not saying we have that...but it's a similar formula.

the ravens were already a winning team when they got reed look at what they did the year before they drafted him and the year before that

the jets need players all over the place-trade the pick get volume and address multiple needs

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Just punt at QB at this point, there will be 5 guys taken in the 1st next year, and about 5 decent FA QB's, see what Hack has go from there.

Statement is the perfect example of how making QB predictions a year in advance never works out.  

None of this years QBs would go in the first, 3 did.  Trubinski didn't play enough, he went 1st.  

Shlt changes fast.  

5 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

They had a solid nucleus of players. They could afford to make a luxury pick.

Did you just call Ed Reed a luxury pick?  haha

I know the Ravens had sh*t in place, I'm just saying it wasnt like they were world beaters at time. 

2 minutes ago, kmnj said:

the ravens were already a winning team when they got reed look at what they did the year before they drafted him and the year before that

the jets need players all over the place-trade the pick get volume and address multiple needs

I get that...I just gave you an example of how they built similarly.  This isnt Mac's 1st draft.  It's his 3rd.

The Jets need players all over the place and they just added one of the best in the entire draft.  

8 hours ago, kmnj said:

we all know today is an offense dominated league but lets examine past three decades as well

in round one since since 1990 -only true impact players at the position

thomas for the hawks-he was their second pick round one-first was a tackle

reed for the ravens-towards end of round one

berry for the chiefs -fifth pick

pretty much on avg a player a decade is a hit at safety round one and only one was picked higher than Adams in berry

He will be a good player but three decades of history show safety is not where you go round one especially when you have one pick and your team has a dreadful offense

I agree. Adams is a great player and will probably do well, but I would have gone offense. Even OJ Howard. The Bucs lucked out with that one

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I know the Ravens had sh*t in place, I'm just saying it wasnt like they were world beaters at time. 

um they won a superbowl in 2000 -you can stop posting now

2001 they won I think 10 games and that was with their best weapon blowing out his knee

reed was drafted in 2002

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I get that...I just gave you an example of how they built similarly.  This isnt Mac's 1st draft.  It's his 3rd.

The Jets need players all over the place and they just added one of the best in the entire draft.  

The player is good, the jets loved the player and stuck to the axiom of if you love a player you take him.  all good.  But the part of the jets have holes all over the place is where we get into trouble.  When you have such a team with so many holes you have to fill them in bunches or you end up with the cycle of mediocrity.  Fill a hole this year, if lucky fill another one, fill a hole next year, fill a hole the year after that.

The Jets need more draft capital and have done a poor job of getting it.

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Kizer is literally the last person I want in the entire draft.  He wasnt even good enough to lead his college team.

I would be happy with Cook or Lamp at this point, as both are likely BPA.  Peterman would be a dream in the 3rd.

Agreed.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

When you're rebuilding your team from the ground-up, you don't start with a safety. You go with linemen on both sides, a quarterback, a pass rusher, maybe a skill player or two. A safety is what you add after you have most of that in place. It's a finishing piece, not part of the foundation of the team.

13 minutes ago, kmnj said:

um they won a superbowl in 2000 -you can stop posting now

2001 they won I think 10 games and that was with their best weapon blowing out his knee

reed was drafted in 2002

11 minutes ago, kmnj said:

jif by the way in 2001 the ravens won a playoff game as well....

Holy **** dude.  Are you seriously this dense?  I said they had the pieces in place.  Yes, they were a good team/better team than the Jets.  But they were not world beaters, clearly. They won 7 games the year they took Reed.

Never mind that part because it' completely irrelevant...they had just lost Rod Woodson.  They're strategy and what made that D successful was having leaders/all-pro talent at every level of the D.  Suggs/Nagata - Lewis - Reed.  It's a similar approach is all I'm saying.  Mac went Williams - Lee - Adams.  Who knows, maybe Jenkins or Maudlin can step up.  I'm not saying it's the same caliber players but the approach is similar. 

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

When you're rebuilding your team from the ground-up, you don't start with a safety. You go with linemen on both sides, a quarterback, a pass rusher, maybe a skill player or two. A safety is what you add after you have most of that in place. It's a finishing piece, not part of the foundation of the team.

It's Mac 3rd draft.  This is his 3rd pick in the 1st round.  Not his 1st.  Why is this lost on all of you? lol

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The player is good, the jets loved the player and stuck to the axiom of if you love a player you take him.  all good.  But the part of the jets have holes all over the place is where we get into trouble.  When you have such a team with so many holes you have to fill them in bunches or you end up with the cycle of mediocrity.  Fill a hole this year, if lucky fill another one, fill a hole next year, fill a hole the year after that.

The Jets need more draft capital and have done a poor job of getting it.

I'm not going to pretend like I know what type of offers Mac was getting.  Everyone thinks quantity over quality is important but doesnt factor in the very real possibility you could acquire more picks and **** them all up.  And then what?  You have nothing to show for it.  Getting what could be the leader of your secondary and a potential all-pro for the next 10 season is a good thing for a team that has 1 elite player.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Holy **** dude.  Are you seriously this dense?  I said they had the pieces in place.  Yes, they were a good team/better team than the Jets.  But they were world beaters, clearly. They won 7 games the year they took Reed.

Never mind that part because it' completely irrelevant...they had just lost Rod Woodson.  They're strategy and what made that D successful was having leaders/all-pro talent at every level of the D.  Suggs/Nagata - Lewis - Reed.  It's a similar approach is all I'm saying.  Mac went Williams - Lee - Adams.  Who knows, maybe Jenkins or Maudlin can step up.  I'm not saying it's the same caliber players but the approach is similar. 

you could argue this was Seattle approach too when Carol came on

and I hate the Pats but guess who led the league last year in PA and it seems every time they get to that level they go to superbowl.

Archived