safety is not how u build a team

kmnj

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey, sure you draft safeties at 1 and 2. I mean, it is a position that you usually find decent vets at a reasonable price, but you should draft two in the same draft so that you can spend on the more expensive corner in FA which generally doesn't fare as well. It's just smart.

You're all underestimating Bowles inventiveness on defense. After they signed Mo to a gigantic contract, they used Richardson in some sort of linebacker role so I'm sure he can figure out how to put these safeties into the game as DTs.

12 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Sure it is if the player is smart and a leader. And can make plays. You know like an Ed Reed or a Polumalu. The Jets have plenty of talent on D but not much in the brains dept. 

Adams could be better than Polumalu he won't save Mac's job next season

2 minutes ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

I wasnt a big fan of the 2nd round pick... feel there were corners that we could have drafted there or good WRs or even a TE. 

I don't get it.  This franchise is allergic to drafting good players in round 2

7 hours ago, thadude said:

I don't get it.  This franchise is allergic to drafting good players in round 2

Don't confuse my comment - the guy is a really good player - i just felt we didn't have to take another safety, given our other needs with corner/TE/OL etc.... he's similar to Jamal Adams as he is very physical, can play both in the box and he can cover... has the speed burst to cover sideline to sideline... great leadership according to his teammates at Florida - he was essentially the leader of the secondary there. To me it seems Mac knows like many Jet fans that we aint fixing everything in 1 year and band aids aint gunna help.... so he's fixing one position at a time as long as the value is there. Like i said, value was there but there was other needs i feel shoulda been addressed - but then again, im not gunna sit here like an armchair QB and say i know everything about everything... Mac used to be a scout - ill trust him til he cant be trusted. 

On 4/28/2017 at 1:09 AM, kmnj said:

we all know today is an offense dominated league but lets examine past three decades as well

in round one since since 1990 -only true impact players at the position

thomas for the hawks-he was their second pick round one-first was a tackle

reed for the ravens-towards end of round one

berry for the chiefs -fifth pick

pretty much on avg a player a decade is a hit at safety round one and only one was picked higher than Adams in berry

He will be a good player but three decades of history show safety is not where you go round one especially when you have one pick and your team has a dreadful offense

not to be funny or anything but all of three player you listed were drafted after 2002 and encase you didn't know a decade is = to 10 years. Not sure why you started at 1990 maybe looking to make your number look bigger and our pick because it wasn't the one you wanted look worse?  also you should consider adding troy palamalu to the list as well...he was a first rounder who was pretty impact...sure there are more you missed, I try to research for things i have no idea about before letting my emotions get the best of me and posting blindly with false information :)

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 1:57 AM, goober36 said:

Guess what? There was no qb, edge rusher or tackle that had value at #6....BPA at a spot of need and that was Adam. This is the correct way to build

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Guess what? You are right. Adams HAD to be the pick or trade out of it which I'm sure they could have but didn't. Guess what. Maye was the WRONG pick in the 2nd. Idiotic. It is here where they should have taken C Pocic to stabilize the OL and have our center for years to come.  They should have'''''ued to address the OL even if it was a weak class there were still players there that would ha

Guess what? You are right. Adams HAD to be the pick or trade out of it which I'm sure they could have but didn't. Guess what. Maye was the WRONG pick in the 2nd. Idiotic. It is here where they should have taken C Pocic to stabilize the OL and have our center for years to come.  They should have'''''ued to address the OL even if it was a weak class there were still players there that would ha

I'm not against what Mac did. He played the strength of a draft with a team that is desperate at almost every position. How do you know Maye was a good or bad pick without seeing him play a single NFL snap when he killed it in College. Only time will tell.

And we are rebuilding, you can't rebuild a team in 1 year

2 minutes ago, goober36 said:

I'm not against what Mac did. He played the strength of a draft with a team that is desperate at almost every position. How do you know Maye was a good or bad pick without seeing him play a single NFL snap when he killed it in College. Only time will tell.

Ok follow the logic. We are getting a QB next year - no ifs buts about it. With this mediocre OL in place he will get demolished. we needed a Center desperately. Johnson is a nice backup but not a starter. And there were good developmental tackles in this draft providing upgrades to what we have. Yet we take another safety and 2 WR's = total luxury picks. Mac is a bird brain. You need to stabilize the OL before you get your franchise QB in here.

Ok follow the logic. We are getting a QB next year - no ifs buts about it. With this mediocre OL in place he will get demolished. we needed a Center desperately. Johnson is a nice backup but not a starter. And there were good developmental tackles in this draft providing upgrades to what we have. Yet we take another safety and 2 WR's = total luxury picks. Mac is a bird brain. You need to stabilize the OL before you get your franchise QB in here.

I agree and disagree. We needed safeties, we all know that. At the time of the draft I thought Mac was stupid for grabbing WRs, but we didn't know about Devin Smith and his acl tear at the time + it's a pass happy league, you can't have enough WRs.

By all means I agree, we will get a QB next year and we need Oline help. I'm sure that will be the focal point next year and if not, Mac is a moron.

17 minutes ago, goober36 said:

I agree and disagree. We needed safeties, we all know that. At the time of the draft I thought Mac was stupid for grabbing WRs, but we didn't know about Devin Smith and his acl tear at the time + it's a pass happy league, you can't have enough WRs.

By all means I agree, we will get a QB next year and we need Oline help. I'm sure that will be the focal point next year and if not, Mac is a moron.

No Mac is a moron. That's already been determined. We need everything. Except DL. If anything, Mac did a decent job in replenishing the WR corp with magic dust last year.    There was really no need to go cuckoo getting another safety and 2 wr's in this draft. On top of that, he watered down the quality of players he could have obtained had he just stayed put. A center, cb and TE were prime directives and he compromised the TE and CB spots and totally ignored the OL. At 2, 3, 3 and 5 he could have filled those holes respectively. As one poster put it succinctly, this was a train wreck!

No Mac is a moron. That's already been determined. We need everything. Except DL. If anything, Mac did a decent job in replenishing the WR corp with magic dust last year.    There was really no need to go cuckoo getting another safety and 2 wr's in this draft. On top of that, he watered down the quality of players he could have obtained had he just stayed put. A center, cb and TE were prime directives and he compromised the TE and CB spots and totally ignored the OL. At 2, 3, 3 and 5 he could have filled those holes respectively. As one poster put it succinctly, this was a train wreck!

But he didn't go crazy with WRs. We lost 2 so we need to find 2 more. He found one with huge value and upside

I agree with the Oline, but I also agree with the way Mac handled it. There was almost zero Oline men worth taking in the first. If I'm correct, the first Oline men wasn't taken until late 20s which might be a record.

I'm pretty sure we can find a center next year in either free agency or the draft, IF it's determined this year that Johnson isn't up to the job. But let's see what we have in him first, he looked good at times last year.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, goober36 said:

If you use resources the way the jets have been your rebuild takes 10 years and you always have a big weakness.  To win in this league you need to be really good in about 3 areas and just not totally suck in others.

On 4/28/2017 at 8:06 AM, fltflo said:

Again, JA is a very exciting kid and has many of the attributes of a very good player.
Yet ,without a franchise QB you got a body without a head.
Three teams traded up to get a QB and we had the opportunity to get the best of them (imho) Watson. I see shades of passing on another QB many years ago, by the name of Marino,hope I am wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what your saying is its useless to even draft players period w/o a QB. If that's teh case why don't QB needy teams spend every pick on QB , They can always pick up UDFA's to fill the other holes.

On 4/28/2017 at 10:00 AM, sourceworx said:

When you're rebuilding your team from the ground-up, you don't start with a safety. You go with linemen on both sides, a quarterback, a pass rusher, maybe a skill player or two. A safety is what you add after you have most of that in place. It's a finishing piece, not part of the foundation of the team.

When you have many holes on a team and a team which reportedly lacked leadership - you'd be foolish not to draft a kid like Adams who can be that team leader on D , someone who can hopefully change the lazy me-first attitude.  Stop getting caught in the position, look at the bigger picture of this pick.

Archived