Jamal Adams, a Safety, IS how you build a team - Leader of Men.

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

THIS! What people are discounting is that we are not just getting a future All-Pro Safety, Jamal Adams is the kind of leader and player that raises the levels of everybody around him. He doesn't just dramatically improve the Safety position, he changes the entire secondary and the defense... which by the way is our biggest weakness outside of QB.

He will be the face of this team and our team captain for as long as he's a Jet.

You're about 2 superlatives away from a Chuck Norris meme.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jets got the best DB, but more importantly, got THEIR IDENTITY with safety Jamal Adams. Congrats @Maxman on getting the Shout Out and salute at the 18 second mark:   This young man

Thankfully, Todd Bowles has found somebody to lead this team.

With the sixth overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select Jamal Adams, Leader Of Men, LSU.

Take the sure thing, regardless of position.  We are rebuilding and it's going to take years.  We weren't going to fix the offensive line, the coaching staff, the quarterback situation and the pass defense all with one pick.  

We got a great player and didn't f*** up.  That's better than most years.  

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Jets got the best DB, but more importantly, got THEIR IDENTITY with safety Jamal Adams.

Congrats @Maxman on getting the Shout Out and salute at the 18 second mark:

This young man WILL CREATE the locker culture and a New Era of Players and ATTITUDE on which the Jets foundation will be built upon:

Don't believe me? See for yourself - The KING OF DEATH VALLEY:

PS  - I eat crow on being DEAD WRONG that 3 QBs were NOT going to go in the first. I'm just glad it wasn't us that reached. Disappointed that Bills & Cleveland made the trades I wanted Mac to execute. Once Trubisky was gone, looks like Jets lost all leverage on a trade down, but made the CORRECT decision on drafting a footballSTUD, a Tone Setter, and Culture maker. 

Couldn't agree more.  I think the naysayers will eventually come around when the pads go on and they see how productive this kid will be.

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

So go get a platoon of Eagle Scouts. You people are now looking at ANOTHER cock up and trying to sell yourselves on this pick. 

Quite the contrary. It seems like you're doing everything to sell us that it's not a good pick.

He grades out, physically. He has shown exceptional leadership ability. What's not to like? Oh, that the Jets picked him...and not some overrated Trubisky-like project at a position we already have talented-yet-unproven players at.

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Offensive skill players, especially QB's move the needle far more.

IF they perform.

The guys at this spot are not sure things. and we have unproven guys already on the roster at QB.

So, your strategy is to REACH for a QB who doesn't have a grade commensurate with the draft position when you already have a guy you haven't given an opportunity to play yet?

I know you guys have been "suffering" for a long time but making rash move after rash move hoping to compensate for decades of rash moves really isn't the answer.

2 hours ago, KRL said:

This intangible is HUGE because no matter how the media wanted to paint it we didn't have good leadership over
the past two years.  Just because we had players who answered their questions (Marshall, Fitzpatrick, Mangold,
Revis) the media made it seem like they were good leaders.  If that was the case certain things should've
been squashed before they blew up:

- Smith / Enemkapli incident

- Marshall / Richardson argument after the KC game

- Marshall / Richardson incident after the NE game

If Adams is the kind of "leader/culture changer" that all the reports seem to indicate, it's a big plus
with the young locker room we're going to have

BTW. Regarding the NE Marshall / SRich incident, I read somewhere Wesley Johnson stepped up and got in BM and/or SRich face to settle things down. 

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I disagree.

A strong safety at best moves the needle on our Pass D by a rank or two. For us that's what, worst in NFL to third worst in NFL.

Offensive skill players, especially QB's move the needle far more. And they score points, which is what the modern NFL is all about.

Its funny, this pick was all about looking good to draft nicks and taking zero risks while continuing our seemingly aimless, All-Defense focused team concept. It was not at all about making the team better. Worse it shows that Macc can't admit the Hack pick was a poor one, so now we're seemingly doubling down on that spent cost despite no one in the larger NFL thinking Hack is legit.

Like so many ex coaches, Macc seems to GM not to lose cred. He doesn't GM to take risks and win beyond his to-date wild missteps at QB.

Taking Hack wasn't a risk? 

I don't blame the Jets for spending the 6th pick, and it's guaranteed contract, on the safest and best player available.

But tonight's picks will show us whether this team has a vision and a plan.

Can they unload the past, like SR and CP, for future picks?

How are they moving the ball and scoring points?

How are they rushing passer?

How are they covering receivers?

My prediction is that they count on Greene getting a rush out of Mauldin and others and they go with WR, TE and CB, with a RB if they get another pick.

2 minutes ago, kmnj said:

I think we got a good player but the sure thing is laughable at best -most first round safeties bust -3  first round safeties in three decades were quality studs

I don't know if that is true.   I think it's actually the opposite, although most first round safeties were picked lower.

Polamalu, Harrison, Clinton-Dix, Neal, Thomas, Berry, Collins.

The Adams pick is as much the lack of edge, QB or LT to pick.  Some argue you take the lower rated higher impact player.  That may prove to be the better decision.  

24 minutes ago, phill1c said:

IF they perform.

The guys at this spot are not sure things. and we have unproven guys already on the roster at QB.

So, your strategy is to REACH for a QB who doesn't have a grade commensurate with the draft position when you already have a guy you haven't given an opportunity to play yet?

I know you guys have been "suffering" for a long time but making rash move after rash move hoping to compensate for decades of rash moves really isn't the answer.

If they perform applies to all draft picks. Our. Ew strong safety may project well but like all picks have to prove it. Like Pryor didn't.

As for reaching seems clear to me the Jets utterly failed to work or want a very available trade down, and based on where the QBs were taken they were far less res by than the so-called draft experts thought. Again a difference between being a Kiper wannabe and an actual NFL GM. The real GMs clearly thought more of the QBs that draftnicks did.

what was it, 7 of the top 10 picks were Offense so clearly offense difference makers were available. But we did the same thing we always do yet we keep expecting a different outcome. Best of luck to our safety he is a Jet now, but personally my doubts in Macs skill and team building vision is at a nadir right now. He has no solutions for our offense.

• Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If they perform applies to all draft picks. Our. Ew strong safety may project well but like all picks have to prove it. Like Pryor didn't.

As for reaching seems clear to me the Jets utterly failed to work or want a very available trade down, and based on where the QBs were taken they were far less res by than the so-called draft experts thought. Again a difference between being a Kiper wannabe and an actual NFL GM. The real GMs clearly thought more of the QBs that draftnicks did.

what was it, 7 of the top 10 picks were Offense so clearly offense difference makers were available. But we did the same thing we always do yet we keep expecting a different outcome. Best of luck to our safety he is a Jet now, but personally my doubts in Macs skill and team building vision is at a nadir right now. He has no solutions for our offense.

Yes, "if they perform" applies to all. But there is also the notion of player grades and team needs. Your argument holds water, but you failed to put any water in the bucket. Which "offense difference maker" would you have selected based on what you actually KNOW, not speculation on trades? Is there a player that grades out better than Adams at No. 6? Is there an offense difference maker that even makes sense for the Jets at that spot and with an appropriate draft grade?

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

It shows that main stream media, even the experts do not have a real clue about the teams in this league. 

Tell me about it. It kills me when you have an opinion and someone says "well the experts said this and they get paid". Like sure, they get paid to sit in front of a camera and entertain us with Mock drafts that went completely out the window the moment the Bears traded up one spot to the 2nd pick and drafted a quarterback lol. 

If these people were experts they'd be in a war room being secretive and not on TV doing projections. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Tell me about it. It kills me when you have an opinion and someone says "well the experts said this and they get paid". Like sure, they get paid to sit in front of a camera and entertain us with Mock drafts that went completely out the window the moment the Bears traded up one spot to the 2nd pick and drafted a quarterback lol. 

If these people were experts they'd be in a war room being secretive and not on TV doing projections. 

I think the experts know enough about the mocks and such but certainly not anything about the actual teams, how players and coaches are viewed.

Even with the amount of shlock we have on fan forums like these, hang out on them long enough and you will get a decent feel for teams, how players have played or viewed etc.

4 hours ago, Bugg said:

Which is how you miss on David Carr, or Dax Prescott or Mahomes or Watson. Again. Over and over. Or Williams or McCaffrey. 

Proper term is dodge a bullet for this one.

Also it was Derek Carr.  Not David.  Dak Prescott would have never had the type of year he had here.  Period.

Our young WRs are probably the best part of our team right now.

We were never going to be the team that gambles on Watson.

MacCaffery @ 6??? LOLNO.

I'm probably just a dumb Brit and whilst I understand that a safety isn't as sexy a pick as a QB, WR, RB etc, virtually all the experts had this guy in their top 3 players in the draft.

I understand that we need new players all over the field and that perhaps this isn't a position that gets people excited but the last thing we can afford to do is turn down a pretty much sure thing? The fact is that we could have our pick of any player in the NFL to join the Jets (never mind the draft) and we'd probably still suck next season.

If we were on the verge of the playoffs with a good roster, I could understand taking a bit of a gamble on a more exciting boom or bust player but we are miles away from that at the moment.

IMO, highly rated players with a great attitude is the way to go. It may not make for the most exciting of picks but slowly and surely, I think it'll pay dividends. 

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

A cock up would be forcing an offensive prospect over a clearly better defensive prospect.  

Something exactly like what  we have done for 9 consecutive drafts on the defensive side spare Williams.

• Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Proper term is dodge a bullet for this one.

Also it was Derek Carr.  Not David.  Dak Prescott would have never had the type of year he had here.  Period.

We were never going to be the team that gambles on Watson.

MacCaffery @ 6??? LOLNO.

True, because we do not draft OL, nor TE, nor RB in the 1st round because defense.Adams is can't miss-like Milliner, Richardson, Robertson, Pryor, Gholston, Coples, Lee. We only had a decent OL for a while because Mangini took Mangold and Brick in the same 1st round a very long time ago. We are now being asked to buy in that offense in the first is risky, but defense is not. When the facts show we have no idea about the former having not drafted offense since Sanchez and a string of defense busts and ne'er do wells spare Williams. 

Enjoy another year of garbage offense. But we got a strong safety, so...

When Mccaffrey has 1500 all purpose yards and Williams has 15 TDS and 1000 yards receving...we got a strong safety, everyone!

13 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Something exactly like what  we have done for 9 consecutive drafts on the defensive side spare Williams.

Disagree that most of those were BPA and blue chippers.  Williams was, nobody thought he'd fall to us.  Same with Adams.  Both were considered top 3 talent in their respective drafts.

The Kyle Wilson's, Darren Lee's, Quinton Coples' and Calvin Pryor's of the world were not the same level of prospects.  I could understand you if we reached for a defensive need.  That was not the situation.  

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

(Psssst the coach and the GM don't lead so it doesn't really matter if the 20 year old strong safety is a sassy patty.)

Leadership is the happy horsheet sportswriters like to talk about because they have no idea what they're watching anyway. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, RedBeardedSavage said:

Disagree that most of those were BPA and blue chippers.  Williams was, nobody thought he'd fall to us.  Same with Adams.  Both were considered top 3 talent in their respective drafts.

The Kyle Wilson's, Darren Lee's, Quinton Coples' and Calvin Pryor's of the world were not the same level of prospects.  I could understand you if we reached for a defensive need.  That was not the situation.  

Need? We have far and away the worst offense in the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Need? We have far and away the worst offense in the NFL. 

Yea, I'm saying I could understand you being upset if we reached for a defensive need.  But we did not, we took a top 3 talent at #6.  

He's a higher rated prospect and more of a sure thing than any of the offensive prospects we had available to us.  

10 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

this is true. Adams has no real impact on peoples imaginations yet. But I guarantee you that the GM and HC believe they just drafted Kam Chancellor, Ronnie Lott, or Brian Dawkins.

There's a big difference between a player of this caliber and a mid first-rounder. 

3 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Yea, I'm saying I could understand you being upset if we reached for a defensive need.  But we did not, we took a top 3 talent at #6.  

He's a higher rated prospect and more of a sure thing than any of the offensive prospects we had available to us.  

14 posts strong and you already sound smarter than 94% of this board. Congrats. I said it last night...why we have to defend picking the 2nd best player in the draft at #6 is beyond me. Gilchrist isn't the answer..Pryor is another failed Idzik pick who takes terrible angles and can't diagnose a play to save his life. These guys aren't on the same level as Jamal Adams as a prospect or a football player. Adams is widely regarded as one of the next big things coming into the league and for a good reason. The technique..the balance he plays with..the coverage ability is 100% there as well as open space tackling. This one will be special just as Williams is on the verge of proving. Mark my words we at the very least have two future first team pro bowl players on our roster with Adams and Williams

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

What a perfectly sad commentary. We're horrible at WR.

A fragile #2 in Decker.

An H-back/TE hybrid.

A bust.

And a bunch of UDFA nobodies some fans are having delusions of grandeur over.

We may be the worst team in the NFL at ball catcher.

And you think that's a positive? Wow.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

yes he does... "Suck for Sam".

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That is simply not a plan. 

It will be a reality but it isn't  a plan. Maccagnan and Bowles' successors may be very happy though. Again, picking a safety or a guard in the 1st is nuts.The offense is gonna suck and people are gonna get fired. 

• Upvote 1

Completely wrong. It was a HORRIBLE pick because safety is of such little value that with the Jets roster, unless Adams literally is a once in a decade safety and somehow becomes an All Pro ballhawk, the opportunity cost over not picking either OJ Howard or McCaffrey both of whom are pretty much as safe as Adams, but would improve the team more is HUUUGE

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

What a perfectly sad commentary. We're horrible at WR.

A fragile #2 in Decker.

An H-back/TE hybrid.

A bust.

And a bunch of UDFA nobodies some fans are having delusions of grandeur over.

We may be the worst team in the NFL at ball catcher.

And you think that's a positive? Wow.

Not only is your opinion on the guys we have laughably wrong, but if you can look anyone in the eye and say that we have a worse WR corps than teams like the Rams, Minnesota, Baltimore, Tennessee (Corey Davis doesn't fix them overnight), Chicago, San Francisco, Washington, New Orleans, Carolina, or Cleveland than you're beyond help.  There's probably more I could list. Robby Anderson put up better numbers by himself in his rookie year with trash QB play, than some of those teams number one WRs.