Jamal Adams, a Safety, IS how you build a team - Leader of Men.

Gas2No99

On 4/28/2017 at 11:08 AM, Bugg said:

Which is how you miss on David Carr, or Dax Prescott or Mahomes or Watson. Again. Over and over. Or Williams or McCaffrey. 

This thread has aged very badly for some here. 

BPA,  intangibles, leader of men...right. WTF??? 

Now Watson may blow out his knee like RGIII, never adopt to being more of a dropback passer, experience the awfulness of Andrew Luck's arm problems. But this Adams over Watson is a DISASTER. AGAIN.

HT TO TS; paging through all this happytalk there is a Nostradamus-like prediction of Gronk abusing Adams. 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great draft pick would be if we found him in round 6, not overall pick #6. He’ll be fine, but he’ll never be worth his draft pick. 

And with that, our defense is still nothing. Atlanta’s offense was in a huge slump. Hadn’t scored 20 points in over a month, and the Pats and their awful defense just held them to 7 garbage-time points. Then in a monsoon, in the first half alone they handed us 2 of their possessions on botched snaps, dropped 3 passes including an easy TD pass, and still rang us up for 25 points. 

Meanwhile Watson - or the year before, that hillbilly Wentz - were both ours if we wanted. 

12 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

11 other teams passed on him. 9 of which either had no real long term solution to QB or had a QB that was in the twilight of his career....but OMG jets 

I’ve never understood this logic.  So it’s ok for the Jets because other teams didn’t do it either?  Could you imagine handling anything else in life that way?  It’s the old saying my pops used to give me, if your friends jump of the Brooklyn bridge, are you going to jump too?

And the only QB needy teams that drafted before he was selected were Browns ha,  Bears who took Trubisk and and 49ers who now have Grappollo.  The rest of the top 10 was pretty much set at QB.  In fact, KC was a surprise to take Mahomes. 

The Jets are one of the most desperate QB teams in the league.  They didn’t have a QB on the roster.  There was no excuse for this and it certainly isn’t, well other teams didn’t take him too.  

33 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

11 other teams passed on him. 9 of which either had no real long term solution to QB or had a QB that was in the twilight of his career....but OMG jets 

As long as we are judging ourselves primarily by the wisdom of others, 5 other teams also passed on a, thus far, pretty average strong safety with limited athletic upside.

9 hours ago, ryu79 said:

I dont get it. Adams has been great for a rookie and he does show remarkable leadership at his age. 

Great draft pick, imho.

By remarkable leadership, I assume you mean how he's leading the league in TDs surrendered at his position?

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

I’ve never understood this logic.  So it’s ok for the Jets because other teams didn’t do it either?  Could you imagine handling anything else in life that way?  It’s the old saying my pops used to give me, if your friends jump of the Brooklyn bridge, are you going to jump too?

And the only QB needy teams that drafted before he was selected were Browns ha,  Bears who took Trubisk and and 49ers who now have Grappollo.  The rest of the top 10 was pretty much set at QB.  In fact, KC was a surprise to take Mahomes. 

The Jets are one of the most desperate QB teams in the league.  They didn’t have a QB on the roster.  There was no excuse for this and it certainly isn’t, well other teams didn’t take him too.  

Next year. Next year is a sure thing because every prospect entering that draft is a franchise QB.

Here's the kicker: as we get closer to the draft and it turns out there actually aren't 5 QBs worthy of top-10 picks, using our 1st rounder next year instead of last year may also cost our 2019's 1st rounder, and quite possibly more than that, if the "must have" QB we take doesn't fall to our natural draft slot.

Add all that to the cost of a QB-desperate team taking a SS with the 6th pick in the country, in a safety-rich draft at that. Because if there's a killer EDGE rusher in the top half of the draft, we're not touching him because now we have to go QB with our 1st pick.

All that other talent that's going to fall while teams are pushing themselves out of the way to draft QBs. Guess who's going to profit from that: Houston and KC (and other teams not in the market to draft a QB early).

With hindsight Mac taking Watson over Adams was a mistake. So I get being angry or depressed because it would be great if we had a potential franchise QB on the roster. 

But shouldn' we just hope.now that Adams turns out to be one of the best safeties is the league. Isn' that the best case scenario now. It feels like fans want to knocK the player already after 8 games because he' not watson

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Dude, the Jets had and still have hackenberg. Remember he's so good that he can't even play.

On 4/28/2017 at 10:46 AM, BigRy56 said:

He will be the face of this team and our team captain for as long as he's a Jet.

Until we find a franchise QB.  I'm sorry, but as good as Adams might become, all pro safeties don't win championships, franchise QB's do.

54 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Next year. Next year is a sure thing because every prospect entering that draft is a franchise QB.

Here's the kicker: as we get closer to the draft and it turns out there actually aren't 5 QBs worthy of top-10 picks, using our 1st rounder next year instead of last year may also cost our 2019's 1st rounder, and quite possibly more than that, if the "must have" QB we take doesn't fall to our natural draft slot.

Add all that to the cost of a QB-desperate team taking a SS with the 6th pick in the country, in a safety-rich draft at that. Because if there's a killer EDGE rusher in the top half of the draft, we're not touching him because now we have to go QB with our 1st pick.

All that other talent that's going to fall while teams are pushing themselves out of the way to draft QBs. Guess who's going to profit from that: Houston and KC (and other teams not in the market to draft a QB early).

Sperm, this was predictable.  I said it all along during the process when some many people were clamoring for next year.  First off, next year wasn't/isnt even guaranteed to have all of the so called top notch prospect even come out...so that was a huge issue.  Secondly, none of them were good.  Literally, not a single prospect who was being mentioned as a top 5 pick were even good at that time.  They had not proven themselves from a production standpoint and had huge glaring issues with their game and personalities.  We had 1 year of Sam Darnold and people were touting him as a cant miss #1, despite the fact he is an underwhelming athlete with a horrendous throwing motion and now it seems he's not a great decision maker as well.  This hype was literally on how these guys looked in a uniform with pads on and nothing else.  Big, tall, strong arm, can make all the throws, looks the part, yada yada yada...that's all there was and the fans bit on it hook line and sinker.  The only hope is that this regime did as well because if they didn't like Watson or were really holding out for hope with Bryce and Hack, well then, we're proper ****ed if this boob is around next year to take a QB.

23 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

With hindsight Mac taking Watson over Adams was a mistake. So I get being angry or depressed because it would be great if we had a potential franchise QB on the roster. 

But shouldn' we just hope.now that Adams turns out to be one of the best safeties is the league. Isn' that the best case scenario now. It feels like fans want to knocK the player already after 8 games because he' not watson

The problem is, not only is he not Watson.  He's also at this point, not good.  He's fair, and his athletic potential is limited.

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

As long as we are judging ourselves primarily by the wisdom of others, 5 other teams also passed on a, thus far, pretty average strong safety with limited athletic upside.

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

By remarkable leadership, I assume you mean how he's leading the league in TDs surrendered at his position?

You know, as bad as it sounds when you say it about Adams...it's really not his fault in most cases.  And I'm not making excuses of him but how this coaching staff sees Adams as someone who can cover 1 on 1 is beyond me.  Putting him on an island with Gronk was moronic.  Yes, you should hope that if you draft a safety at 6 he can cover some but they're asking him to do sh*t nobody can do.  That said, the fear I have with Adams is like you said, he's not a superior athlete.  His mind moves 100x faster than his body and it's great he's got incredible instincts but he doesn't have what it takes to make the play...or so it seems at this point, which is scary.  That said, that could change.  He could start getting a little bit faster as the game slows down a bit.  I hope. 

All that said, I will say 1 thing about the Leader of Men.  There is no doubt the's the unquestioned leader of the team. All you have to do is go to one game and see how the team responds to him to see that he's the man.  The whole team looks to him almost after every single series.  He's the energy guy for sure and you can tell his team does respond to his leadership.  Too bad in the grand scheme of things, that really doesn't matter. 

I think the bigger issue than Adams giving up the most TD's at his position, is the secondary has given up the most TD's in the league.  When you double down on safeties in the draft, you would hope the back end of the D would be tight.  And that's not the case.  The other scary part is Maye is the better player and possibly considerably better. 

Watson was probably a day two prospect BUT because he is a QB, he was looked at as a day one pick.  With the #6 pick, I would have passed just like the Jets and Niners did.  Oh, and the Bears paid a crap load to pick someone else.   If the Jets traded down in the 1st and picked him up then that would have been good but with the 6th pick and so many holes to fill, he wasn't worth the risk.   I remember there were some here who wanted him but it was definitely ta small amount of members.  Now that he has blown up, people are getting all crazy about how the GM screwed us by not selecting him.  STOOOOOP!   OF course I wish we picked him after seeing  him play but I'm not going to trash the team or members here that didn't want him originally.   It happens, we move on.  We move on like we have been since Broadway Joe :) 

The Jets have given up 17 TD passes. However, 5 of them have been 1 yard TD passes, I think. And the other that Matt Ryan threw was a 4 yard TD pass.

So that stat is a little dubious, especially since the Jets weakness last year was being beaten over the top. Which, to my knowledge, has not happened as much this year

1 hour ago, JiF said:

You know, as bad as it sounds when you say it about Adams...it's really not his fault in most cases.  And I'm not making excuses of him but how this coaching staff sees Adams as someone who can cover 1 on 1 is beyond me.  Putting him on an island with Gronk was moronic.  Yes, you should hope that if you draft a safety at 6 he can cover some but they're asking him to do sh*t nobody can do.  That said, the fear I have with Adams is like you said, he's not a superior athlete.  His mind moves 100x faster than his body and it's great he's got incredible instincts but he doesn't have what it takes to make the play...or so it seems at this point, which is scary.  That said, that could change.  He could start getting a little bit faster as the game slows down a bit.  I hope. 

All that said, I will say 1 thing about the Leader of Men.  There is no doubt the's the unquestioned leader of the team. All you have to do is go to one game and see how the team responds to him to see that he's the man.  The whole team looks to him almost after every single series.  He's the energy guy for sure and you can tell his team does respond to his leadership.  Too bad in the grand scheme of things, that really doesn't matter. 

I think the bigger issue than Adams giving up the most TD's at his position, is the secondary has given up the most TD's in the league.  When you double down on safeties in the draft, you would hope the back end of the D would be tight.  And that's not the case.  The other scary part is Maye is the better player and possibly considerably better. 

I've always said that I think Adams will be fine.  It's just that "fine" isn't good enough when you take a low-impact position at 6.  He needs to be great.  And "fine" looks worse as Deshaun Watson is showing real potential.

I've also stated that despite these two safeties, I thought we'd still have one of the worst secondaries in the league.  Looks like that was solid.

We need to get really lucky that a QB falls and that QB turns out to be good.  Hopefully Garrapollo is good enough for the 49ers to move up, then maybe we can get whoever the Browns don't want.

Just now, gEYno said:

I've always said that I think Adams will be fine.  It's just that "fine" isn't good enough when you take a low-impact position at 6.  He needs to be great.  And "fine" looks worse as Deshaun Watson is showing real potential.

I've also stated that despite these two safeties, I thought we'd still have one of the worst secondaries in the league.  Looks like that was solid.

We need to get really lucky that a QB falls and that QB turns out to be good.  Hopefully Garrapollo is good enough for the 49ers to move up, then maybe we can get whoever the Browns don't want.

So in other words, instead of loving your solid wife, you want the hot chick across the street.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The Jets have given up 17 TD passes. However, 5 of them have been 1 yard TD passes, I think. And the other that Matt Ryan threw was a 4 yard TD pass.

So that stat is a little dubious, especially since the Jets weakness last year was being beaten over the top. Which, to my knowledge, has not happened as much this year

Obviously, when developing arriving at the conclusion to disregard those numbers, you considered 31 other teams 1-yard-TD passes allowed, right?  This way you could still see how the Jets compared.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

Obviously, when developing arriving at the conclusion to disregard those numbers, you considered 31 other teams 1-yard-TD passes allowed, right?  This way you could still see how the Jets compared.

Of course. If somebody has that info, please let me know

Actually the Jets D this year is better than they had last year in terms of PPG

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

I would like to know that info. Somebody brought me the other piece. I would like to know where you get that info

I have no idea.  The point is, if you're going to dismiss a stat for some reason, you should really look at that stat across the league, not just nyjunc your way into your analysis by ignoring everything you don't like to make a point.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Not really. YOu have a wife that is solid, not beautiful. And across the street there is this flashy girl that makes more money.

Except, in reality, the Jets were on the clock with the choice of the 'solid' wife or the 'better' wife, as you've set up.  It's not like you're just coveting something you couldn't have had.  You literally could have had the 'better' wife if you wanted.  You chose not to.  That's why your analogy is a complete bust.

Your analogy works if it were Trubisky.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Except, in reality, the Jets were on the clock with the choice of the solid wife or the 'better' wife, as you've set up.  It's not like you're just coveting something you couldn't have had.  You literally could have had the 'better' wife if you wanted.  You chose not to.  That's why your analogy is a complete bust.

No because, to use my analogy, you did not know that the better wife could bring the goods or not.

You had a choice of a solid wife that you were pretty sure would be a good wife or a flashy wife that may be fantastic but also could cheat on you and ruin your life

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

No because, to use my analogy, you did not know that the better wife could bring the goods or not.

You had a choice of a solid wife that you were pretty sure could be a good wife or a flashy wife that may be fantastic but also could cheat on you and ruin your life

Fine.  But then it's not your neighbors wife at all.  It's two women you could potentially marry.  But, here's the thing:

1) I'm very comfortable taking the risk on being really happy, because we've divorced a lot of wives (flashy and solid) and this one isn't going to ruin anything anymore than any of the others (Gholston, Keller, Sanchez, Wilson, Coples, Milliner, Richardson, and Pryor).  There will be another opportunity to marry again in a few years, and if the latest hot wife doesn't work out, I try another one.

2) The solid wife hasn't even proven that she's solid yet.

Just now, gEYno said:

Fine.  Except:

1) I'm very comfortable taking the risk on being really happy, because we've divorced a lot of wives and this one isn't going to ruin anything anymore than any of the others (Gholston, Keller, Sanchez, Wilson, Coples, Milliner, Richardson, and Pryor).  There will be another opportunity to marry again in a few years, and if the latest hot wife doesn't work out, I try another one.

2) The solid wife hasn't even proven that she's solid yet.

2. I think the solid wife has proven to be better than some of those previous wives you mentioned. (Especially #1)

So I think that the wife has been solid

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

2. I think the solid wife has proven to be better than some of those previous wives you mentioned. (Especially #1)

So I think that the wife has been solid

That's fine.  I'm not going to argue how good Jamal Adams has been, because we're talking about the difference between below average and average.

That said, enjoy your boring, meddling existence with your solid wife.  I'll take my chances on actual happiness.

3 hours ago, gEYno said:

The draft is a crap shoot. Not a perfect science. I’m sure there were some guys that were all over Watson. And I’m sure those same guys were all over other guys that didn’t pan out but they usually leave those guys out of the conversation. IF Mac didn’t feel Watson was the guy then not picking him is the right thing to do to execute his plan.

Whether you or I agree with his plan is a total different subject 

but let’s not make it like he passed up Peyton Manning coming out to draft a safety

as far as passing on the safety, just like Lenorad Williams are they really the best player in the draft if they weren’t picked first or even top three? 

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Soooo would you jump??

Archived