Who would you have taken with number 6?

dcJet

If you are complaining about the Adams pick, go on record with what you would have done. One player only.

If you want the trade from KC, chose your guy at 27 now, and later come back and choose a guy at 91.  (Also get KC's number one next year)

If you want the trade from Houston, pick your guy at 25.   (Also get Houston's number 1 next year)

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

My first choice was Howard, but Adams was a close second. Howard mainly because we soooo need offense.

Didn't honestly expect Adams to be on the board at 6.

Yeah nothing like reaching for the 19th drafted player at 6.

BPA is a bad philosophy.  This drafting philosophy has turned us into the worst team in football.  Its paid 0 dividends.

The jets should not have had a def player on the board.  They should have taken the highest offensive player on their board at 6.

I dont care if adams turns into a hall of famer its still the wrong pick.  We need to score points and we keep neglicing that year after year after year.

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

BPA is a bad philosophy.  This drafting philosophy has turned us into the worst team in football.  Its paid 0 dividends.

The jets should not have had a def player on the board.  They should have taken the highest offensive player on their board at 6.

I dont care if adams turns into a hall of famer its still the wrong pick.  We need to score points and we keep neglicing that year after year after year.

So if I am getting this right, it would have been the right pick to take an offensive player who doesn't even pan out, to a HOF safety? 

14 minutes ago, GangisGreen said:

Drafting a Hall of  Famer would be the wrong pick?... That was the dumbest post I have ever read. 

But the problem is that positions aren't equal in the NFL.  This isn't the NBA where if you draft a HOFer as one of your starting five you're pretty much set to make the playoffs when then player matures.

Adams is a good prospect at a devalued position in the NFL.  He could have a HOF career and the Jets could rarely make the playoffs (it's happened before to other HOFers at devalued positions).

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

If you are complaining about the Adams pick, go on record with what you would have done. One player only.

If you want the trade from KC, chose your guy at 27 now, and later come back and choose a guy at 91.  (Also get KC's number one next year)

If you want the trade from Houston, pick your guy at 25.   (Also get Houston's number 1 next year)

I would have traded down with the Texans as drafted the same player they did, QB Watson.

And I'd have an extra picks to show for it.

Hack starts (and IMO fails) in 2017. Watson starts in 2018 and hopefully sticks.

Till we find a QB no number of Safties will make any difference.

I'd also have preferred Mike Williams,  Christian McCaffrey or yes, even O.J. Howard to a Safety. 

Something to show we care about our perennially horrible Offense. The Defense, who gets all our #1 picks in recent years, would have to take midrounders for a change. 

55 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

lol, no a decade of Tanny, Rex and Idzik turned us into thist mess... BPA is just what you do when you need everything. Rex and Idzik were so bad that they wasted 2 whole drafts with 14+ players, and the ones that stuck are still bad enough to need replacement now. 

BPA isn't the problem, the problem is that the condition of this roster is so bad it may be insurmountable for first-time GM and HC to fix in 2 years.

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

BPA isn't the problem, the problem is that the condition of this roster is so bad it may be insurmountable for first-time GM and HC to fix in 2 years.

The roster today is much worse, two years in, than the Roster Macc inherited.

We are unquestionably the least talented team in the NFL right now.

Thats on Macc as much as anyone. We've only gotten worse under MaccBowles.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think thats a result of "competitive rebuild." Mac didn't have the opportunity to rebuild from the ground up. He was put in a position to win as much as you can in 2 years, and to his credit signed all deals that could get us out by this season and start the proper rebuild.

I wish there was no competitive rebuild. But there was, and here we are...doing whats necessary.

4 minutes ago, dcJet said:

I asked for one pick.   WTF.  Half you guys cant follow instructions.  And you cant take anyone who was already taken.  

Following instructions is not JNers forte

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

While I do agree that Macc has had his issue, I have to disagree that the dearth of talent on this roster is attributable to him.  It cannot be underestimated how catastrophic Idzik's personnel decisions were to this franchise.

While his strategy was sound, Idzik's execution of his plan was devastating to the future prospects of the franchise.  To essentially blow 15 of 19 picks in a two year span wiped out any chance to build a foundation for the team.  That led to Macc's spending in FA in order to fill the holes.  To fail on so many picks had a domino effect.  It wasted prime years on players that were still serviceable and the final years of older players that still contributed.

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's really about the same. Large part of why is because you had 5-8 relevant players in Idziks last year, because of years of bad drafting by Rex, and Tanny. Then you get Rex and Idzik missing for 2 more years (with 3 years worht of picks). Old players cycle out, FAs fill holes, and contrary to what fans think, you just can't draft a whole roster in one draft. 

I think Mac is doing an average job in the draft, but the failure to "get better" has more to do with where this team has shat away assets the past decade. Is he Ted Thompson? No. I do think he's adding decent prospects, but every player is on his own schedule for developing. And I have zero confidence in our coaching staff to do that developing.

Going back to the original comment, BPA is not why we're awful. I'm not arguing over Mac's viability. I was really responding to the comment about draft philosphy being wrong. Like about 90% of the panty waste bullsh*t being welped about on this site right now.

21 minutes ago, dcJet said:

I asked for one pick.   WTF.  Half you guys cant follow instructions.  And you cant take anyone who was already taken.  

I would've taken Adams, Williams  and Darnold.   If I'm going to break the rules, I may as well do it in style!

1 hour ago, SMC said:

But the problem is that positions aren't equal in the NFL.  This isn't the NBA where if you draft a HOFer as one of your starting five you're pretty much set to make the playoffs when then player matures.

Adams is a good prospect at a devalued position in the NFL.  He could have a HOF career and the Jets could rarely make the playoffs (it's happened before to other HOFers at devalued positions).

You cannot justify picking a safety (or a guard) in the first round in 2017. Mahomes, McCaffrey, Howard, Williams and Watson were all better choices. 

1 hour ago, SMC said:

Great point.

But only the franchise QB position guarantees playoffs in the NFL.  These other premium positions don't.  So maybe this "premium position dogma" should only be used  as a tie-breaker between 2 similarly ranked players.

In this case, Adams ranking and potential > all others players available and thereby trumps the dogma.

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

You cannot justify picking a safety (or a guard) in the first round in 2017. Mahomes, McCaffrey, Howard, Williams and Watson were all better choices. 

But Adams is a better player than those guys.

17 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Great point.

But only the franchise QB position guarantees playoffs in the NFL.  These other premium positions don't.  So maybe this "premium position dogma" should only be used  as a tie-breaker between 2 similarly ranked players.

In this case, Adams ranking and potential > all others players available and thereby trumps the dogma.

That's why I would've gone Mahomes or Watson at 6.  Take & develop or ransom for trade

13 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

13 hours ago, NoBowles said:

So if I am getting this right, it would have been the right pick to take an offensive player who doesn't even pan out, to a HOF safety? 

Maybe you should try harder to get it right. I dont recall Joe saying to pick an offensive player who wont pan out instead of a HOF safety. He said that they should have taken the highest offensive player on their board at 6 because we need to score points, which is something the Jets have neglected year after year. THATS what he said. 

The way you like to twist people's words is typically you. You already had a solid, respectable response without the "who wont pan out" part. He never said that. Thats just you sensationalizing. 

When it comes to scoring on the season, this is where the Jets ranked during their run of 8 straight defensive 1st round picks leading up to the 9th last night. 

2016: 30th

2015: 11th

2014: 28th

2013: 29th

2012: 28th

2011: 13th

2010: 13th

On average the Jets are 21st in scoring over that time span. Meanwhile, 1st round defensive draft picks like Dee Milliner, Kyle Wilson and Quinton Coples arent on the team, the Jets seem to be actively trading Sheldon Richardson, they drafted a SS that will most likely keep the Jets from exercising the 5th year option on Pryor which means yet another 1st rounder out the door, and im currently feeling a sense of regret that they signed Mo Wilk to that mega contract that some of us said he wasnt worth and that they should have instead kept a guy like Snacks...a guy who was undrafted. 

Almost a decade worth of defensive picks, 0 guys who look like future HOF's, half the picks are off the team and a looks like a couple more will ge gone soon enough and Mo is looking like he needs his best year ever in order to prove that he was worth the money that he wasnt worth. 

Stop acting like someone thinking to draft offense is somehow ridiculous

Archived