First Round Picks

jamesr

Without answering "The Jets" ... which team do you think made the most questionable / head scratching pick in Round 1?

Usually there's one team that everyone points at and laughs, but I'm not so sure there was a real "huh?" pick in Round One.

On 4/28/2017 at 4:37 PM, jamesr said:

Without answering "The Jets" ... which team do you think made the most questionable / head scratching pick in Round 1?

Usually there's one team that everyone points at and laughs, but I'm not so sure there was a real "huh?" pick in Round One.

Titans

21 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Titans

Yeh besides the QBs (all were reaches IMO) the Titans reached on both their firsts (Davis and Jackson). 

Also, the Giants taking Engram was a head scratcher... esp with Ramczyck, Njoku, Foster, Dalvin Cook, and all the Guards on the board. 

Reading these two answers made me wonder ... there was a lot of criticism of Macc for not trading down from 6 to stockpile more picks. But if someone wanted to move up, wouldn't Tennessee also have had an interest? Were they really sold on Davis being a top 5 talent?

I'm getting more and more convinced that the interest in moving up to that area in the draft was slim.

Bears: Trubisky- b/c of the trade up. 

Raiders: Conley- b/c of the sexual assault allegation

Lions: J.Davis- IMO a major reach

Side note: I'm not going to call it a 'steal' but best value in the first round was easily Washington getting Allen at 17.   

21 hours ago, bigalbarracuda said:

Yeh besides the QBs (all were reaches IMO) the Titans reached on both their firsts (Davis and Jackson). 

Also, the Giants taking Engram was a head scratcher... esp with Ramczyck, Njoku, Foster, Dalvin Cook, and all the Guards on the board. 

22 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Titans

I disagree. RE: Titans.

I can see how many would think that, but it comes down to how the teams view these prospects. To me, Davis is a slightly better overall WR prospect in comparison with Williams. So if the Titans felt like they wanted to address WR and get their hands on the top WR prospect in the draft, I can't blame them for going for Davis, I don't nec. see it as reach.

Same with Jackson. He is an elite athlete and versatile player that can contribute on special teams. I think he fell down some boards b/c he is more of a zone scheme CB and does not possess the man cover skills that a lot of the other CBs did in this draft. But if the Titans felt like he would fit their defense perfectly and wanted help on special teams, this is a great pick and not really a reach.

Yeah, Giants was a 'head-scratcher' to me as well- not sure the fit or value are there, but clearly they love Engrams upside and at least got Eli another weapon. If their O-line can hold up, the Giants should have a great passing offense with ODB, B.MArshall, Shepard and now Engram. They also added Gallman in the 4th round. 

On May 4, 2017 at 0:45 PM, PepPep said:

Bears: Trubisky- b/c of the trade up. 

Raiders: Conley- b/c of the sexual assault allegation

Lions: J.Davis- IMO a major reach

Side note: I'm not going to call it a 'steal' but best value in the first round was easily Washington getting Allen at 17.   

Conley - Now can't say if he's innocent or guilty, but there is little chance he faces any charges.   For the simple fact video evidence contradicts her initial statement to the police.( top lawyer will create enough doubt that no jury will convict.   Not to mention very hard to prove what really happened in that hotel room.( she said/ he said). I  can't see district attorney bringing a case that's going to be hard to prove. What jury going to buy a woman coming up to a guy hotel room at 3:00 am . ( what do you think you were going to play cards.) 

Last point if the District attorney did bring chargers , what the chance it ever went to trial.   Probably pay off the woman ,at that point.  Not condoning anything just saying why the Raiders  probably felt they could draft him, and why they felt very confident this will all get resolved.   

The bears will always be looked at with the big question mark because...
A they could have stayed at 3 and got Trubisky. 49ers weren't taking him and no team was going to trade up that much for him.
B. They just signed Glennon
C. They gave up to much, they are as much a rebuilding team and gave up valuable picks in a deep draft for a QB that will likely be sitting for a year.

Yea I consider it a big ?

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, nicg4360 said:

The bears will always be looked at with the big question mark because...
A they could have stayed at 3 and got Trubisky. 49ers weren't taking him and no team was going to trade up that much for him.
B. They just signed Glennon
C. They gave up to much, they are as much a rebuilding team and gave up valuable picks in a deep draft for a QB that will likely be sitting for a year.

Yea I consider it a big ?

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

They also didn't tell the head coach what they were doing.

On 5/4/2017 at 5:45 PM, PepPep said:

Makes up for them passing over Leo to pick "a friggin' guard" a few years back. ;-) 

I'm going to say the Chiefs, mainly because I think they took a major risk by moving up for a complete lottery ticket.  The Chiefs are a perennial playoff contender, and they went with two first round picks on a guy that almost certainly won't play this year, and maybe gets a shot next year.  

Texans. I know some think DW was the best QB in the class, I do not.  So to many it's a great pick.  To me they took a major risk on a player with 3rd round ability and 1st round intangibles.

Giants pick also made zero sense.  Had the pick of Ramcyzk/Robinson, and passed up Njoku for a Hback.  I'd add Cook and Foster in there too but the Giants shy away from any picks that don't fit their phony narrative of "having class".

On 5/3/2017 at 0:06 PM, bigalbarracuda said:

Either you and I are on different magnetic poles, or you didn't follow the draft very closely... The Davis pick was an eyebrow raiser for sure, but Jackson? He was a legit top 5 CB in the draft. Teams have different boards. Some had him at 5, some had him at 2. etc. Same with Engram over Njoku... but i see the point your trying to make. 

A reach IMO isn't so much the player as it is passing on the talent presently available. This year's stock should have been labelled "mileage may vary"

With that said, i'm guilty of my own argument with John Ross. Awful reach i thought. 

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Either you and I are on different magnetic poles, or you didn't follow the draft very closely... The Davis pick was an eyebrow raiser for sure, but Jackson? He was a legit top 5 CB in the draft. Teams have different boards. Some had him at 5, some had him at 2. etc. Same with Engram over Njoku... but i see the point your trying to make. 

A reach IMO isn't so much the player as it is passing on the talent presently available. This year's stock should have been labelled "mileage may vary"

With that said, i'm guilty of my own argument with John Ross. Awful reach i thought. 

I follow the draft very closely... I like Jackson the player (def top 5 CB available) just didn't think the value was there at pick 18. They could've taken OJ Howard and run him next to 32-year-old Delanie Walker and given Mariota a legit long-term weapon. On defense, they could have gone with Peppers, Davis, Charlton, or Foster! Conley and McKinley too, even though they had their warts. 

I get that they needed a CB, but that position was deeeep this year and I personally don't think Jackson will be a better pro than Howard-Foster-Davis (when you write it like that it looks like a circa-1890s justice of the Supreme Court)

Archived