Jump to content

So who's our next GM?


Pointdexter
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, thadude said:

I'd be genuinely afraid of what head coach Mac would actually pick

Bill O'brien. Did you see his face when they scanned the Texans war room after they picked Watson. Put it this way, wasn't doing cartwheels. This is the same owner/gm combo that shoved Osweiller down his throat last year. He was close to quitting last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, section314 said:

Bill O'brien. Did you see his face when they scanned the Texans war room after they picked Watson. Put it this way, wasn't doing cartwheels. This is the same owner/gm combo that shoved Osweiller down his throat last year. He was close to quitting last year.

I'm not a big Watson guy but I would take him over any of our qb's this year or last yr

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Macc isn't surviving this guys. Just not. Not after the Hackenberg debacle. Devin Smith. Darron Lee. 
This guy has been horrible.
It makes me sick that somewhere in Philly Macc and TB are high-fiving and hugging, actually believing they just put the team over the hump. What a bunch of clueless idiots.
So ya, I think we clean house after this season after we go 3-13. New coach. New GM. Complete rebuild...again.

speculative bs : Mac AND Bowles will be here at least through 2018.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


speculative bs : Mac AND Bowles will be here at least through 2018.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app


You're absolutely right IMO. If Bowles was a goner it would've been this year. Ownership knows the deal, this was never going to be a good season. Nothing this draft could've done to change that. Woody has been hiring and firing coach after coach, he's going long term here for better or worse, this regime is going to have an opportunity to make it through Hackenburg or a bonafide 1st rounder next year, so we're talking at least 3-4 more years.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2017 at 8:27 PM, Snell41 said:

 


You're absolutely right IMO. If Bowles was a goner it would've been this year. Ownership knows the deal, this was never going to be a good season. Nothing this draft could've done to change that. Woody has been hiring and firing coach after coach, he's going long term here for better or worse, this regime is going to have an opportunity to make it through Hackenburg or a bonafide 1st rounder next year, so we're talking at least 3-4 more years.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

Soooo... Woody will put up with another 4-12 season and even worse after that because he's "tired" of firing head coaches and general managers?  Ok

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/28/2017 at 8:00 PM, Fantasy Island said:

Two Safeties.  I hope Mike gets fired before the night is over.  We have to salvage this draft.  What a stupid move.....

1st safety Adams - no brainer.

2nd pick safety Maye - no brains. 😱

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/28/2017 at 9:52 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm trying to recall how many times have I read that Maccagnan deserves - deserves - to be able to pick his own HC next year? This would essentially guarantee him another 2-3 more years as GM.

And he will pick his own coach in 2018 after the Jets go 2-14. Mac will then have 2 years to show vast improvement with a new coach and new franchise QB, handpicked by him. Personally, I would have fired his stupid azz and Bubblehead after last year's atrocity. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

NFL radio this morning talked about how the Patriots just gave David Andrews a new contract, locking him up at a fair comp for 3 more years.  It was basically a year early.   He was a UDFA.

I want to see Mac and Woody do stuff like this   It is clear to me that the GM role of the Jets does not exist   It is wielded collectively by Mac (Talent), Bowles (Coach), Davidson (Contracts) and Woody (CEO).   The parties lobby Woody for decisions.  Thus, the coaches basically direct the high draft picks, and they can't make strategic trades because Woody is afraid of looking stupid in the press.  

Hogan may have quit because he knew he was not really the scout.  

This is what Woody wants and he knows that replacing the guys he has is not going to improve things.  He has to make what he has work.  

At least Jerry Jones is stand up enough to admit he is the GM.  Woody has to hide behind Macc.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

NFL radio this morning talked about how the Patriots just gave David Andrews a new contract, locking him up at a fair comp for 3 more years.  It was basically a year early.   He was a UDFA.

I want to see Mac and Woody do stuff like this   It is clear to me that the GM role of the Jets does not exist   It is wielded collectively by Mac (Talent), Bowles (Coach), Davidson (Contracts) and Woody (CEO).   The parties lobby Woody for decisions.  Thus, the coaches basically direct the high draft picks, and they can't make strategic trades because Woody is afraid of looking stupid in the press.  

Hogan may have quit because he knew he was not really the scout.  

This is what Woody wants and he knows that replacing the guys he has is not going to improve things.  He has to make what he has work.  

At least Jerry Jones is stand up enough to admit he is the GM.  Woody has to hide behind Macc.  

You stated very well what I have been saying for years. The major problem with the Jets has been, is, and will continue to be Woody, and the way he structures the running of the team.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, varjet said:

NFL radio this morning talked about how the Patriots just gave David Andrews a new contract, locking him up at a fair comp for 3 more years.  It was basically a year early.   He was a UDFA.

I want to see Mac and Woody do stuff like this   It is clear to me that the GM role of the Jets does not exist   It is wielded collectively by Mac (Talent), Bowles (Coach), Davidson (Contracts) and Woody (CEO).   The parties lobby Woody for decisions.  Thus, the coaches basically direct the high draft picks, and they can't make strategic trades because Woody is afraid of looking stupid in the press.  

Hogan may have quit because he knew he was not really the scout.  

This is what Woody wants and he knows that replacing the guys he has is not going to improve things.  He has to make what he has work.  

At least Jerry Jones is stand up enough to admit he is the GM.  Woody has to hide behind Macc.  

He was going to draft Johnny Manziel but was overruled by his son.. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/author-johnny-manziel-draft-card-was-snatched-out-of-jerry-jones-hand/

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We should have hired Tom Coughlin to be the Vice President of Football Ops. Mac may not have liked it but, too bad. Tom might not have come to the Jets, or maybe he would have. I don't care that he was the Giants coach, I am impressed with what he has done so far with the Jags. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/28/2017 at 9:52 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm trying to recall how many times have I read that Maccagnan deserves - deserves - to be able to pick his own HC next year? This would essentially guarantee him another 2-3 more years as GM.

And he will pick his own coach in 2018 after the Jets go 2-14. Mac will then have 2 years to show vast improvement with a new coach and new franchise QB, handpicked by him. Personally, I would have fired his stupid azz and Bubblehead after last year's atrocity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, varjet said:

NFL radio this morning talked about how the Patriots just gave David Andrews a new contract, locking him up at a fair comp for 3 more years.  It was basically a year early.   He was a UDFA.

I want to see Mac and Woody do stuff like this   It is clear to me that the GM role of the Jets does not exist   It is wielded collectively by Mac (Talent), Bowles (Coach), Davidson (Contracts) and Woody (CEO).   The parties lobby Woody for decisions.  Thus, the coaches basically direct the high draft picks, and they can't make strategic trades because Woody is afraid of looking stupid in the press.  

Hogan may have quit because he knew he was not really the scout.  

This is what Woody wants and he knows that replacing the guys he has is not going to improve things.  He has to make what he has work.  

At least Jerry Jones is stand up enough to admit he is the GM.  Woody has to hide behind Macc.  

I guess you feel if you repeat this conspiracy theory enough times then that might make it true.

Woody's suckiness notwithstanding, the Jets had always locked up players earlier, or traded them earlier, for years and years until Maccagnan got here.

See, it wasn't so long ago on the Jets, where there used to be a well-publicized team "rule" that the Jets wouldn't redo contracts until there was only 1 year left. That was the team's PR out whenever the players' agents wanted to pressure the team in the media. So in saying they don't do extensions until there's only 1 year left, that would mean they do redo contracts when there's 1 year left.

Now, suddenly with the arrival of our current GM, we exclusively wait until the last game of the entire existing contract is over, and then begin serious negotiations for extensions. This of course ensures we either lose the player outright or extend him for the maximum amount possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Powpow said:

And he will pick his own coach in 2018 after the Jets go 2-14. Mac will then have 2 years to show vast improvement with a new coach and new franchise QB, handpicked by him. Personally, I would have fired his stupid azz and Bubblehead after last year's atrocity. 

As bad as Bowles is the bigger problem is Macc's inability to evaluate talent

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/28/2017 at 7:54 PM, Pointdexter said:

Macc isn't surviving this guys. Just not. Not after the Hackenberg debacle. Devin Smith. Darron Lee. 

This guy has been horrible.

It makes me sick that somewhere in Philly Macc and TB are high-fiving and hugging, actually believing they just put the team over the hump. What a bunch of clueless idiots.

So ya, I think we clean house after this season after we go 3-13. New coach. New GM. Complete rebuild...again.

It's possible Hackenberg already being considered a decable could be a microcosm for why this team has and forever shall, suck. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I guess you feel if you repeat this conspiracy theory enough times then that might make it true.

Woody's suckiness notwithstanding, the Jets had always locked up players earlier, or traded them earlier, for years and years until Maccagnan got here.

See, it wasn't so long ago on the Jets, where there used to be a well-publicized team "rule" that the Jets wouldn't redo contracts until there was only 1 year left. That was the team's PR out whenever the players' agents wanted to pressure the team in the media. So in saying they don't do extensions until there's only 1 year left, that would mean they do redo contracts when there's 1 year left.

Now, suddenly with the arrival of our current GM, we exclusively wait until the last game of the entire existing contract is over, and then begin serious negotiations for extensions. This of course ensures we either lose the player outright or extend him for the maximum amount possible.

I don't disagree with this.

My observations as to how the Jets are currently being run were not intended to be long-term.  I described how I see them running today.

I do think Tannenbaum had more responsibility/authority/credibility, and he drove extending contracts earlier.  I think the Idzik/Rex dynamic caused Woody to change the way the team operates.

Tanny found a core group of players and locked them up for a long time.  The team was very generous.  Revis wanted even more than the generosity was providing, and somewhat caused the whole structure to collapse.  The amounts spent also precluded the Jets from spending on other players.  The Jets were legitimately one game from the Super Bowl two years in a row-that is not easy to do.  What would we do to do that again?

Given how the Salary Cap works, if a team wants to compete for the Super Bowl in a given year they are incentivized to borrow from the future to make it happen.  But to do that, you need a core of good players you already drafted.  If you draft well enough, you may not need any shenanigans

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I guess you feel if you repeat this conspiracy theory enough times then that might make it true.

Woody's suckiness notwithstanding, the Jets had always locked up players earlier, or traded them earlier, for years and years until Maccagnan got here.

See, it wasn't so long ago on the Jets, where there used to be a well-publicized team "rule" that the Jets wouldn't redo contracts until there was only 1 year left. That was the team's PR out whenever the players' agents wanted to pressure the team in the media. So in saying they don't do extensions until there's only 1 year left, that would mean they do redo contracts when there's 1 year left.

I see you're back to nitpicking. 

While I see the value of your argument, the other side is that to determine whether a player is viable for an extension, you need as much data as possible, which supports Maccagnan's approach.

Plus of course, there is downside to the other approach. John Abraham for example. Danny Woodhead etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I see you're back to nitpicking. 

While I see the value of your argument, the other side is that to determine whether a player is viable for an extension, you need as much data as possible, which supports Maccagnan's approach.

Plus of course, there is downside to the other approach. John Abraham for example. Danny Woodhead etc.

Woodhead's contract didn't expire, genius. They cut him. A Jets fan would know this.

So you had to go all the way back to John Abraham a dozen years and 3 GMs ago to find an example?

ROFL, absolutely pathetic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, HessStation said:

It's possible Hackenberg already being considered a decable could be a microcosm for why this team has and forever shall, suck. 

Or---and stay with me here---it could be that because a large percentage the customer base thinks that true loyalty means rallying around the countless Hackenbergs this organization foists upon us is why this team has and forever shall suck.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, HessStation said:

It's possible Hackenberg already being considered a decable could be a microcosm for why this team has and forever shall, suck. 

This is the surest sign yet that Maccagnan is done. Blaming negative fans is the last refuge of the damned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Or---and stay with me here---it could be that because a large percentage the customer base thinks that true loyalty means rallying around the countless Hackenbergs this organization foists upon us is why this team has and forever shall suck.

Plus, playing the the odds the guy's going to automatically suck, like, before actually knowing or having even seen him play, is super edgy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Plus, playing the the odds the guy's going to automatically suck, like, before actually knowing or having even seen him play, is super edgy. 

Why do you guys act like Hackenberg was grown in a pod in the basement of Florham Park and there's no extant body of work from which to assess his ability? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...