So who's our next GM?

Pointdexter

I think you have to ask yourself, if Macc's job was on the line, why didn't he reach for a QB to save his job? Also, Macc is building a team around a future QB; he even traded a pick this year, to pick up an extra one next year. This doesn't sound like a guy worried about his job. My guess, Woody signed off on his plan.

Or, look at it this way. He didn't reach for a QB this year (in a poor group) and he drafted for the future. Hack is either going to show some signs or the jets are going to suck again and draft the future QB next year. Either way, this time next year, the Jets will either be happy with Hack or have what they hope is the QB of the future. I am not sure how any GM picking 6th in a year of a week QB class could have positioned himself better.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I think you have to ask yourself, if Macc's job was on the line, why didn't he reach for a QB to save his job? Also, Macc is building a team around a future QB; he even traded a pick this year, to pick up an extra one next year. This doesn't sound like a guy worried about his job. My guess, Woody signed off on his plan.

Or, look at it this way. He didn't reach for a QB this year (in a poor group) and he drafted for the future. Hack is either going to show some signs or the jets are going to suck again and draft the future QB next year. Either way, this time next year, the Jets will either be happy with Hack or have what they hope is the QB of the future. I am not sure how any GM picking 6th in a year of a week QB class could have positioned himself better.

Woody is fully on board and complicit with the Plan.  

Bowles can mess up coaching.  I think so much of what Mac does is blessed by Woody that it will be hard to fire him.  

Woody and Mac can't coach for Bowles.

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

Woody is fully on board and complicit with the Plan.  

Bowles can mess up coaching.  I think so much of what Mac does is blessed by Woody that it will be hard to fire him.  

Woody and Mac can't coach for Bowles.

yeah; not sure if bowles makes it another year, but i think macc does; i hope his plan pans out, the last 6 years pretty much sucked (except maybe the few games before the buffalo game 2 years ago. it would be nice to have hope for the future again

36 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I think you have to ask yourself, if Macc's job was on the line, why didn't he reach for a QB to save his job?

He signed a top 5 QB Josh McCown.  Didn't you get this morning's batch of Woody Johnson kool-aid?

2 minutes ago, thadude said:

He signed a top 5 QB Josh McCown.  Didn't you get this morning's batch of Woody Johnson kool-aid?

No, must have missed that... kool-aid a bit to sweet for my taste - i prefer the sour taste of rooting for a jinxed football team

Just now, bostonmajet said:

No, must have missed that... kool-aid a bit to sweet for my taste - i prefer the sour taste of rooting for a jinxed football team

I think the bigger problem like other posters eluded to earlier is that Woody has ultimate veto power over moves and occasionally meddles (i.e - the Tim Tebow disaster).

Woody inherited Bradway and Tanenbaum from the previous owner and Parcells so he kept himself in check most of the time.  With Idzik and Macagnan Woody is calling the shots.  That is a big problem.

Woody is the worst owner in the NFL and in all of NY sports.  Dolan at least has had the success of the Rangers and the Knicks had a 54 win season just a couple years ago.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Why do you guys act like Hackenberg was grown in a pod in the basement of Florham Park and there's no extant body of work from which to assess his ability? 

It's actually ingeniously self-fulfilling. If Hackenberg turns out to be good, we'll get ranked out until the heat death of the universe for being wrong. If he sucks, it's our fault for being negative. Heads I'm smart, tails you're dumb.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

It's actually ingeniously self-fulfilling. If Hackenberg turns out to be good, we'll get ranked out until the heat death of the universe for being wrong. If he sucks, it's our fault for being negative. Heads I'm smart, tails you're dumb.

Not sure the "Jets ****ed up here" set has ever lost one of these things. What keeps the opposition alive, one wonders.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not sure the "Jets ****ed up here" set has ever lost one of these things. What keeps the opposition alive, one wonders.

Hack is the ultimate buy low sell high.  Absolutely no one with any credibility thinks he will be any good but hey if he completes a pass ever in a regular season game egg on their face!

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Yes I've been soley relying on your assesment towards Christian Hackenberg's future as a pro quarterback...

25 minutes ago, thadude said:

Hack is the ultimate buy low sell high.  Absolutely no one with any credibility thinks he will be any good but hey if he completes a pass ever in a regular season game egg on their face!

They didn't "buy low," however. They paid, like, $20k for a lotto ticket.

33 minutes ago, thadude said:

Buy low?  He cost a second round draft pick.  And could have been had for a fourth or later.  No I'd say Mac bought high.  High on something anyway.

On 2017-04-28 at 7:54 PM, Pointdexter said:

Macc isn't surviving this guys. Just not. Not after the Hackenberg debacle. Devin Smith. Darron Lee. 

This guy has been horrible.

It makes me sick that somewhere in Philly Macc and TB are high-fiving and hugging, actually believing they just put the team over the hump. What a bunch of clueless idiots.

So ya, I think we clean house after this season after we go 3-13. New coach. New GM. Complete rebuild...again.

Must have been a slow day here at JETNATION.  Glad I missed it.

When you constantly hire defensive minded Head Coaches it's hard to be surprised that they would draft a defensive player int he 1st round. I'm sure the opposite would be true if we had an offensive minded Head Coach for once. Either way though, you can't hate the Leonard Williams pick and the Jamal Adams pick has been widely praised throughout the league and by draft experts. So I don't know what you want the Jets to do differently in regards to the 1st round under Maac. The Lee pick is still up in the air and the second round has continued to be a black hole for us, but Devin Smith hasn't had a chance to really show what he can do and Hack deserves a shot first before we bash him.

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

When you constantly hire defensive minded Head Coaches it's hard to be surprised that they would draft a defensive player int he 1st round. I'm sure the opposite would be true if we had an offensive minded Head Coach for once. Either way though, you can't hate the Leonard Williams pick and the Jamal Adams pick has been widely praised throughout the league and by draft experts. So I don't know what you want the Jets to do differently in regards to the 1st round under Maac. The Lee pick is still up in the air and the second round has continued to be a black hole for us, but Devin Smith hasn't had a chance to really show what he can do and Hack deserves a shot first before we bash him.

Bowles's problem isn't that he's a DC its that he's semi retarded

6 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Knowing woody he will bring back mike T and Rex in a yr Lol.. nothing would change, DEFENSE would still be 80% of our draft

Our current regime makes Rex and Tanenbaum look like the 90's Cowboys dynasty

Thing is Mccowm is a distraction to the other QB's including the team. This is a perfect time to let the duel. This other guy is so dumb right now.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, thadude said:

I can think of one QB in our division who was just a wee bit more "ultimate" of a buy low sell high QB.

2 hours ago, thadude said:

Bowles's problem isn't that he's a DC its that he's semi retarded

Not the point. Point is, the Jets always go the DC route for Head Coaches. Obviously those coaches are going to try to replicate the defenses that got them the job to begin with. It's not a shock we draft a lot of defensive players in round 1.

6 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Devin Smith Is done in NY, he makes Dee Milliner look robust.

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Not the point. Point is, the Jets always go the DC route for Head Coaches. Obviously those coaches are going to try to replicate the defenses that got them the job to begin with. It's not a shock we draft a lot of defensive players in round 1.

Well if that's the case Mangini took three offensive players with the first 3 picks of his first draft (Ferguson, Mangold, Clemens) and Rex took two offensive players in the first couple rounds of 2009 (Sanchez, Greene).  Both were DC's

The problem is the overall philosophy that this franchise drafts based on stopping Brady.  We have no pass rush? Draft Gholston. Wes Welker sh-ts on Rex's D? Draft Kyle Wilson. We lose Revis and Brady puts up 40 burgers on us at home?  Draft Milliner.  Any RB or TE Brady throws to has a field day against our linebackers?  Draft Darron Lee

4 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I'm sure if Rex was our coach 10 yrs ago he too would have picked dbrick and mangold in the 1st round ?

No he would have probably drafted Ngata, kept Abraham and either kept Mawae or started Jonothan Goodwin who had a decent career in New Orleans.

15 hours ago, thadude said:

Well if that's the case Mangini took three offensive players with the first 3 picks of his first draft (Ferguson, Mangold, Clemens) and Rex took two offensive players in the first couple rounds of 2009 (Sanchez, Greene).  Both were DC's

The problem is the overall philosophy that this franchise drafts based on stopping Brady.  We have no pass rush? Draft Gholston. Wes Welker sh-ts on Rex's D? Draft Kyle Wilson. We lose Revis and Brady puts up 40 burgers on us at home?  Draft Milliner.  Any RB or TE Brady throws to has a field day against our linebackers?  Draft Darron Lee

Rex needed a QB and Mangini had to rebuild the O-line. I'm not saying they wont take offensive players, I'm just saying they want to build their D's up because that's what made them successful in the first place. But I can't bash Maac and Bowles so far in the first round. They're only in year 3 and they hit a homerun with Williams and it's not fair to write off Lee yet.

Our overall philosophy clearly hasn't been good. Totally agree. It's a results business and the results have not been there for the Jets.

11 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Rex needed a QB and Mangini had to rebuild the O-line. I'm not saying they wont take offensive players, I'm just saying they want to build their D's up because that's what made them successful in the first place. But I can't bash Maac and Bowles so far in the first round. They're only in year 3 and they hit a homerun with Williams and it's not fair to write off Lee yet.

Our overall philosophy clearly hasn't been good. Totally agree. It's a results business and the results have not been there for the Jets.

The one word to describe 95% of jets drafts is: BORING

Why not take the sexy player once in a while?  Gee maybe it might actually work out to take a Hunter Henry over a 200lb shrimpy MLB or Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjmain or Derek Carr over a crappy safety.

On 5/15/2017 at 7:04 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Woodhead's contract didn't expire, genius. They cut him. A Jets fan would know this.

So you had to go all the way back to John Abraham a dozen years and 3 GMs ago to find an example?

ROFL, absolutely pathetic.

Well when you cut someone, your contract expires. The definition of expires is ends.

As for lack of examples, you can laugh all you want, but logic dictates my process to be correct.

If you are not going to at least respect logic and consider like I have done with you, then you aren't really setting a good example.

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Well when you cut someone, your contract expires. The definition of expires is ends.

As for lack of examples, you can laugh all you want, but logic dictates my process to be correct.

If you are not going to at least respect logic and consider like I have done with you, then you aren't really setting a good example.

Expiration and termination of a contract are different things

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

If you are going to suggest a player's contract expiring on its own is the same as cutting a player midseason, and citing a single exception from 11 years ago as though it's a credible example of a repeated trend, then expect not to be taken seriously. JMO.

Archived