Did anybody know the guy we drafted j. Round 2?

TuscanyTile2

Here is one profile:

Marcus Maye   S   Florida

TALENT
ROUND

STRENGTHS
Marcus is another cover safety in this draft that has the talent to play more than one position in your defensive backfield. He is smart and instinctive and does a very good job tackling in the open field. Marcus has the athletic talent, speed and quickness required of a cornerback and he has the size needed to play safety up close or in a single free safety position. He can be used as a slot corner to cover those big tight ends because of his toughness and football strength to play bigger than his size. On the field the kid never stops moving before or after the snap in fact sometimes he moves back and forth like a tiger in a cage at a zoo looking back at the people looking at him ready to react to any movement that he doesn’t like. He reminds me a lot of Troy Polamalu with better coverage skills and that means Marcus has pro bowl talent. Marcus is an aggressive tackler and reacting safety, which has the talent to play cornerback in the right system. 

CONCERNS
Biggest issue…injuries, Marcus has to stay healthy to impact for his team and with his aggressive play that could be a problem. Right now he is coming off a broken arm and workouts will be late for the draft and this could affect his draft status. Marcus has to come under control better when he tackles so that he can stay away from getting injured. 

BOTTOM LINE
Marcus is another excellent safety in this draft and because there are so many excellent safeties he might not be selected early. This happens a lot to players who are coming off injuries at draft time. Nevertheless, Marcus has plenty of film to evaluate him and has played safety and slot coverage most of his college career so all anyone has to do is go look at the film and you will see his talent, instincts and ability to cover. Look for Marcus on Rob’s board because he could get a little lost in the shuffle but that doesn’t mean his talent to play his position will be lost, in fact if he is not selected in the 1st round that chip on his shoulder should make him play even better, if that is possible. Injuries aside if Marcus can stay on the field he will be an impact defensive back, there is no doubt in my mind. Remember this is a talent grade and not grades based on the Value of were Marcus might be selected. With so many good defensive backs in the draft the value of the position will depend strictly on the needs of teams to value the safety position in general. Marcus could be selected at any point in this draft but there is no doubt in my mind, from what I see on the film that Marcus has 1st round talent. 

Drew Boylhart  APR.2017

5 hours ago, goober36 said:

We can only hope. I'm not one to bash these picks until I can see the products play in the NFL

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

In all seriousness, I agree 100%. I have a laugh because it's fun but I'll at least give Macc a chance.  I don't think he's some clueless dummy or anything like that (though if his picks don't work out, he'll certainly be portrayed that way). I'm assuming an NFL GM knows way more than the average couch potato out there.  

There was buzz about how his team mate Keanu Neal ended up rising into the first round in last years draft but many thought maye was a better player.  People were beginning to talk about him as a possible surprise 1st round pick.  He was considered a borderline 1st/2nd round prospect just like Kevin king was.  when we picked him it was good value.

It's easy to see the trend the jets are taking, versatile safeties who can play the box and cover... and more importantly both safeties we drafted are physical and can tackle. Both have great leadership and were the field generals of the secondary for their respective teams. Culture change in order - a much needed one. I liked the WR pick too... many gave him comparisons to Jeremy Kerley - who i always liked - Rex couldn't ****in utilize him right - i think he just got a big contract with the 49ers. 

It's easy to see the trend the jets are taking, versatile safeties who can play the box and cover... and more importantly both safeties we drafted are physical and can tackle. Both have great leadership and were the field generals of the secondary for their respective teams. Culture change in order - a much needed one. I liked the WR pick too... many gave him comparisons to Jeremy Kerley - who i always liked - Rex couldn't ****in utilize him right - i think he just got a big contract with the 49ers. 

This post is too reasonable and should not be allowed ... ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived