ArDarius Stewart must read evaluation

The12th Man

Good read.  here's another...

ArDarius Stewart   WR   Alabama

TALENT
ROUND

STRENGTHS
ArDarius is one of the smartest receivers in this draft. He has good speed and good hands and can play inside or outside depending on down and distance and field position. He has excellent feel for running routes against zone coverage’s and is one of the smartest in this draft at understanding how to get open when a play breaks down. ArDarius could be your emergency third quarterback in a game because he can throw the ball as well or better than most quarterbacks you could pick in the latter rounds of this draft. Because of ArDarius football intelligence you can move him around your offense at different positions on the line as a receiver and coming out of the back field on third downs. ArDarius is one of the best blocking players in this draft. He can block in open space better than most players in the NFL right now. ArDarius is a multi- position player with football intelligence, good speed, good hands, and excellent blocking ability and in pinch could be considered your emergency quarterback. I think that’s a pretty good player to add to your team at some point in a draft. 

CONCERNS
If ArDarius wants to be considered more than a zone receiver or slot receiver he has to learn to run routes at different speeds and run routes smarter and quicker to gain better separate. If you wants to become more of a third down back because of his ability to block he would have to add more bulk and lower body strength to break tackles and make third down yardage. Right now he is a bit of a tweener with talent to work and improve in both areas. 

BOTTOM LINE
I know that ArDarius was used as a receiver for his college team but he was also used all over the offense and in using him all over the offense and because of his football intelligence and ability to block, it has stunted his growth at just one position. I guess what you have to figure out with ArDarius is what does he want to do at the next level? Will he be a pure wide receiver or continue on the path of a specialty player? His talent as a receiver looks to be in the slot or third receiver who gives you some impact on special teams. But what I see on film is the ability to use him as a third down back out of the back field because of his blocking a receiving ability also. The decision has to be made because in both case ArDarius has improvement left to do. My thinking is use him as your slot receiver or third receiver and see if he can develop his route running to become a full time receiver. His talent and style reminds me a little of former wide receiver for the Buffalo Bills Andre Reed. Andre had good talent but it took awhile for him to develop his route running. ArDarius could be the same style of receiver that Andre was, given enough time and if he pushes himself to the next level of his talent. As far as I’m concerned for the purposes of this draft, you have to consider ArDarius as a third receiver who will work out of the slot with special team’s talent who could save you a roster spot on game day as your emergency quarterback. If he wants to bulk up and become a third down back that would be fine with me but whatever happens ArDarius has some improvement to do to become an impact player. 

Drew Boylhart  APR.2017

2 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

know that ArDarius was used as a receiver for his college team but he was also used all over the offense and in using him all over the offense and because of his football intelligence and ability to block, it has stunted his growth at just one position.

I always like to see draft experts work through their emotional stuff in their writeups. It's encouraging to see them make breakthroughs through self-discovery. Feel better, Drew.

Just now, T0mShane said:

I always like to see draft experts work through their emotional stuff in their writeups. It's encouraging to see them make breakthroughs through self-discovery. Feel better, Drew.

Like Camille Crimson.  Yes, I understand.

8 minutes ago, ljr said:

Don't have details as to why ... And could be simply fandom bias ... but a good friend is an Alabama fan and said Stewart is a great pick !

encouraging! well he was slated to go late 2nd early 3rd but Fabian Moureau would have been a great pick and value.

15 minutes ago, ljr said:

Don't have details as to why ... And could be simply fandom bias ... but a good friend is an Alabama fan and said Stewart is a great pick !

On a night where I'm reading so many negative things about our picks on this board,  I'll take ANY positives I can get. ?

Somewhere on some other teams message board there is a fan base that's upset they didn't get this guy.  If you've never heard of him it may make the pick seem unexciting but just because you never heard of him,or you did heard of some other guy that wasn't selected by the Jets doesn't make it a bad pick.  It just makes you uninformed.  As long as the pick isn't considered a reach then it's proper value and his chances to succeed are just as good as anyone else's.

Dennis Waszak Jr. (@DWAZ73)

4/28/17, 11:57 PM

New #Jets WR ArDarius Stewart, who's listed at 5-11: "When I'm out on the field, it feels like I'm 6-7, man."

More ArDarius Stewart on what he can give #Jets: “I'm bringing a load of awesomeness. That's all I can tell you.”

18 minutes ago, C Mart said:

New #Jets WR ArDarius Stewart, who's listed at 5-11: "When I'm out on the field, it feels like I'm 6-7, man."

More ArDarius Stewart on what he can give #Jets: “I'm bringing a load of awesomeness. That's all I can tell you.”

if he could find a role like cotchery I'd be satisfied with this pick

55 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Can't nobody block ArDarius.

I wonder if Morton had anything to do with this pick considering his history with Kiffin.  

"Strengths

Brings a physical play demeanor to the field at all times. Has takeoff to push cornerbacks into an aggressive backpedal. Karate fighting hands ward off jams and redirect attempts inside his route. Varies route speed to create uneasiness in defender. Sells route fakes with sharp head turns that tilt cornerbacks. Has a gas gear to race past defender and climb quickly over the top. Talented ball tracker with skills to win the deep ball on a consistent basis when matched one on one. Body control for mid-air adjustments is superb and his hands are like clamps. Very strong player and can take the ball away from corners when he needs to. Has kick return talent that translates into the NFL. Competitive runner after catch with skills that mirror a running back. Will elude certain tacklers and punish others. When asked to block and sustain, he's willing to do his part.

Weaknesses

Burly through the hips and doesn't have the build of the typical receiver. Saw 70 percent of his yardage gained come after the catch. Benefited from screens, pop passes and reverses. Routes could use more sharpness at his break points. Wasn't asked to create route separation on short and intermediate routes very often. Will need to work aggressively back to the ball as a pro. Can you get too cute with the ball in his hands and run himself out of yardage. There is still room for improvement with his hands.

Alabama-tough and plays the game like a grown man. Stewart is an extremely competitive target who has been a catch-and-run option as well as a deep ball threat, but he has the tools to become a solid starter who can be effective in all areas of the field. While Stewart could come in and compete for early kick return duties, some teams may view his run after the catch skills as his true value-added talent." - nfl.com

Sounds like a great west coast offense type receiver.  Also, sounds like a slow Brandin Cooks. 

Archived