Marcus Maye

thadude

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Why can't the Maye pick be judged on how Maye plays and how his play affects the Jets?  

All draft picks are judged based on their own production and the production of players that were taken after them. The Pats whiffed on many draft picks but no one cares because they win super bowls. So of course, if Maye is a part of future great Jets teams, no one will care if those other guys are good or not. But if maye is solid, but our CBs/TEs are disasters, the Maye pick will look foolish if those CBs/TEs turn out to be really good. 

We could have taken a punter and no one would care if we won 12 games this year. 

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gEYno said:

This is an awfully douchey response from the guy who cries that it's too mean on this website.

What did I do, tell the truth ?   I didn't attack anyone or called anyone any names .  I made a statement that is 100% true and I'm a douche .  Well, I guess that's what I am .

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

sorta the point of a fan message board is discuss your opinion...

Who's stopping anyone from discussing opinions ?  All I said was the Jets don't care what we want or think with regards to who they draft, sign, release  or trade for . 

2 hours ago, gEYno said:

I'm on the Suck for Sam (or Rosen) train, so I don't really mind skipping the QB and I'm actually not that down on the Adams pick, I get it was the value pick.  I'd have traded down, even if I couldn't get perfect value, just to add more players to a roster severely depleted of talent.  It's the doubling down on two safeties, both of which aren't known for their coverage skills, that I think is philosophically problematic.  And Best Available is a favorite among people talking about the draft, but just because everyone loves ranked lists, doesn't mean reality works like that.  How much better is Mayes than the guy on your list right after him, and how much worse is he than the guy right after him?  I think grades, or groups, are more realistic.  The point being, I'm willing to bet there was a similarly ranked player available that might have been a better value to this franchise with that pick.  Or, again, they could have traded down there, and added another 2 next year.

was anyone interested in the 6th pick?  

Just now, batman10023 said:

was anyone interested in the 6th pick?  

We've been through this.  Obviously we don't know, but teams behind us got great deals.  It's hard to imagine that a team willing to trade up to 10 would be totally unwilling to make the same exact deal to go up to 6.  I've already stated I'd have been fine doing a deal below chart value because of how many holes this team has.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

My draft evaluations speak for themselves.  It's been proven time and time again, every year and I've only been wrong once.  My take on Maye is spot on and sometime next season, you're going to be watching Maye thinking, damn, that JiF knows his sh*t.  

when were you wrong?

you should get into the NFL if your that good.  that is damn good.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Dbutt and I have been bro'ing out lately.  It's like we've rekindle the love we once had and it's driving Shane crazy.  He doesnt know how to act.  Sad to watch really.  You can tell its the story of his life. 

This makes sense actually. I approve.

There were some draftniks who had Maye as a top 20 player overall in this draft. Greg McElroy might not have made it as a QB in this league but the dude is smart as sh*t, knows college football & said on Sirius NFL radio he though the Jets had a tremendous draft & he had Maye at #20 over all on his top 50 board.

Personally, I think the pick of Adams take ALL THE PRESSURE off Maye to just play his part in the defense. Can you imagine if these 2 guys turn out to be as good as Chancellor & Thomas in Seattle? Maye has better range than Chancellor, just not as big.

These types of duos usually get a nickname, let's hope that happens. Jets need to be fun again.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Something to keep an eye on is how good Melifonwu turns out. Even if we accept that they drafted a safety in round two, the next question is whether or not they drafted the right one.

Agreed... it's a fair argument to say that Marcus Williams's skill set actually complements Adams better. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/marcus-williams?id=2558068 

BOTTOM LINE

Ball-hawking free safety who has outstanding ball skills and has shown a propensity for causing turnovers. He can play from a high centerfield spot and utilizes his instincts to swoop down and challenge throws. He's able to get running backs down, but he’s not physical enough to be a combination safety. NFL teams love defensive backs with athletic traits, instincts and ball skills. If he works out well before the draft, he should move up team boards.

19 minutes ago, bigalbarracuda said:

Agreed... it's a fair argument to say that Marcus Williams's skill set actually complements Adams better. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/marcus-williams?id=2558068 

BOTTOM LINE

Ball-hawking free safety who has outstanding ball skills and has shown a propensity for causing turnovers. He can play from a high centerfield spot and utilizes his instincts to swoop down and challenge throws. He's able to get running backs down, but he’s not physical enough to be a combination safety. NFL teams love defensive backs with athletic traits, instincts and ball skills. If he works out well before the draft, he should move up team boards.

But heres the problem with Williams: This quote below

"but he’s not physical enough to be a combination safety"

Versatility is KING in the NFL. Did anyone see the tapes of that Obi dude? Maybe he'll develop but that dude is a HORRIBLE TACKLER! Every ex NFLer says tackling has gotten WORSE because of the CBA and how little tackling is done in training camp now. So, if you come into the NFL as a bad tackler, your either gonna get hurt sticking your head in there because your technique sucks & the guys your tackling now are all beasts or you'll probably be looking to avoid contact & diving and grabbing at guys that are smacking you down with forearm shivers.

On 4/29/2017 at 11:57 AM, nycdan said:

If you pick a guy in the first round, and he's awful, do you keep him just because?  Did we benefit from giving Gholston extra chances?  Bad optics aside, they are trying to fix the secondary.  Obviously Pryor is looking like a complete bust but tear the bandaid off...

Exactly. Pryor was an Idzik pick, or, should I say Ryan pick. Macc was not going to give him extra chances. If the Jets believe he is a bust, there is no reason to keep him around or avoid addressing the safety position in the draft. If you look at the CB position, it was way deeper than the S position before Adams and Maye were drafted.

With the Gilchrist injury, Pryor regressing, whiffing on T.Jefferson and the awful safety play all season, the Jets needed to address the position. I understand the criticism behind taking 2 safeties back t back so early. But Adams was a good pick. And obviously the Jets thought highly of Maye and believe the two can play together. Clearly, the idea is that they will hopefully be set at the position for a while.   

3 hours ago, batman10023 said:

when were you wrong?

you should get into the NFL if your that good.  that is damn good.

Quinton Coples over Melvin Engram and Chandler Jones.  He was my guy.  I wanted him badly.  I had unwavering support for him his entire career.  He really let me down. At least he gave me this:

maurice-jones-drew-fumble-kick-back-to-d

This one was pretty good too:

rough.gif

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Quinton Coples over Melvin Engram and Chandler Jones.  He was my guy.  I wanted him badly.  I had unwavering support for him his entire career.  He really let me down. At least he gave me this:

rough.gif

You also liked Rex, Herm, Santonio Holmes' massive dick, and Sanchez. GFY

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

rough.gif

How long did you have to search for video of both of his NFL tackles?

3 hours ago, gEYno said:

We've been through this.  Obviously we don't know, but teams behind us got great deals.  It's hard to imagine that a team willing to trade up to 10 would be totally unwilling to make the same exact deal to go up to 6.  I've already stated I'd have been fine doing a deal below chart value because of how many holes this team has.

fair enough - so you would have taken the trade?  i don't think i would have done that trade.  If it was a 1st, 2nd and then 1st next year probably would do it - even though it's not "fair value"

In exchange for the 10th pick in this year's draft, the Bills received Kansas City's first round pick (No. 27 overall) and third round pick (No. 91 overall) in this year's draft and the Chiefs' first round pick in the 2018 NFL draft.

1 minute ago, batman10023 said:

fair enough - so you would have taken the trade?  i don't think i would have done that trade.  If it was a 1st, 2nd and then 1st next year probably would do it - even though it's not "fair value"

In exchange for the 10th pick in this year's draft, the Bills received Kansas City's first round pick (No. 27 overall) and third round pick (No. 91 overall) in this year's draft and the Chiefs' first round pick in the 2018 NFL draft.

I firmly believe that the Bills got a bum deal for their first rounder. 2 picks in the late 20s for 10 overall... not great.

the problem with our spot was that the first 5 picks took away our picks value to the kind of teams that would want to move up. Then comes the question, "is picking up 2 late first rounders (we'd trade with a good team) worth missing out on the number 1 player on your board?" The number 6 pick for Adams had more value to us than to the teams that wanted to move up.

17 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I firmly believe that the Bills got a bum deal for their first rounder. 2 picks in the late 20s for 10 overall... not great.

the problem with our spot was that the first 5 picks took away our picks value to the kind of teams that would want to move up. Then comes the question, "is picking up 2 late first rounders (we'd trade with a good team) worth missing out on the number 1 player on your board?" The number 6 pick for Adams had more value to us than to the teams that wanted to move up.

You don't trade down when studs are there. Parcells traded down from Orlando Pace & again for Walter Jones and ended up with James Farrier. 2 career pro bowl LTs! GTFOOH!

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You also liked Rex, Herm, Santonio Holmes' massive dick, and Sanchez. GFY

I love Rex and Herm.  Always will. I miss Holmes.  Back to the topic at hand; Sanchez was the one player I didn't want in the entire draft. 

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

There were some draftniks who had Maye as a top 20 player overall in this draft. Greg McElroy might not have made it as a QB in this league but the dude is smart as sh*t, knows college football & said on Sirius NFL radio he though the Jets had a tremendous draft & he had Maye at #20 over all on his top 50 board.

Personally, I think the pick of Adams take ALL THE PRESSURE off Maye to just play his part in the defense. Can you imagine if these 2 guys turn out to be as good as Chancellor & Thomas in Seattle? Maye has better range than Chancellor, just not as big.

These types of duos usually get a nickname, let's hope that happens. Jets need to be fun again.

The Safety Exchange?

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

My current favorite thing: people defending picking two safeties by saying "let's see how they look first!" And then the next post being "we just drafted Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor."

If we took Cook fans on here would be saying drafted our Leveon Bell, what's the difference?

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

My current favorite thing: people defending picking two safeties by saying "let's see how they look first!" And then the next post being "we just drafted Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor."

Hard hitting Safety = guy who can't cover 

True only 95% of the time

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

If we took Cook fans on here would be saying drafted our Leveon Bell, what's the difference?

The difference is Cook would actually have helped us win football games

22 hours ago, PepPep said:

Exactly. Pryor was an Idzik pick, or, should I say Ryan pick. Macc was not going to give him extra chances. If the Jets believe he is a bust, there is no reason to keep him around or avoid addressing the safety position in the draft. If you look at the CB position, it was way deeper than the S position before Adams and Maye were drafted.

With the Gilchrist injury, Pryor regressing, whiffing on T.Jefferson and the awful safety play all season, the Jets needed to address the position. I understand the criticism behind taking 2 safeties back t back so early. But Adams was a good pick. And obviously the Jets thought highly of Maye and believe the two can play together. Clearly, the idea is that they will hopefully be set at the position for a while.   

Pryor was an Idzik pick.  Rex had nothing to do with it.

BTWm Dalvin Cook sounds like the type of player that we should avoid at this point. Getting an impression of being a bit lazy. especially in the pre draft process.

Cook says he didn’t prepare for combine interviews with a paid tutor, like many of his fellow prospects now do. One team was dissatisfied enough with Cook’s interview that they eliminated him from consideration for their first-round pick.

That's a bit of a red flag for me.

As opposed to Marcus Maye who attended graduation instead of the draft.

17 hours ago, thadude said:

I didn't even want Cook but Jets fans gloating about passing on him to add a 23rd Strong Safety to the roster is making this threadable feel very bumpable for next season.

I have not seen 1 positive post from you ever. You have to be just a troll here trying to ruin every thread. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I have not seen 1 positive post from you ever. You have to be just a troll here trying to ruin every thread. 

Some people are only happy by being miserable. My recommendation is to just put him on ignore

April 8, 2017

NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks recently discussed on Move The Sticks what they thought each team in the NFC North should do with their first two picks in this year’s draft and have the Vikings addressing needs on both sides of the ball. 

Jeremiah has Minnesota taking Harrison Smith’s hopeful partner in crime for the next era of Vikings football by selecting Florida safety Marcus Maye with the 48th overall pick.

“Last year at this time, we started to hear a little bit of buzz about this Keanu Neal,” Jeremiah said. “His college teammate here in Marcus Maye, I’m starting to hear some buzz about him moving up the board. (He’s) a physical, physical tone-setting player and I love the energy he plays with as well.”

Maye was a four-star recruit in high school and lived up to the status of the label with four productive years at Florida. He was named a first-team All American by USA Today in 2015 and could have received similar accolades in 2016 if it weren’t for a broken arm that caused him to miss the last four games of the season.

“I love his energy and what is really indicative of his leadership ability is when (Florida cornerback) Quincy Wilson was in here in the studio and he talked about who the leader was in that room,” Brooks said, “Marcus Maye was the one who got everyone lined up. As a deep, middle defender, you like him back there.”

The endorsement Maye gets from his college teammate isn’t small when you consider Wilson may be the first cornerback taken in this year’s draft. Maye’s a versatile player who could play either safety position and has experience playing the nickel as well.

http://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/08/perfect-pairing-daniel-jeremiah-and-bucky-brooks-discuss-the-vikings-top-two-picks/

On 5/4/2017 at 2:03 PM, detectivekimble said:

Pryor was an Idzik pick.  Rex had nothing to do with it.

Rex Ryan was the head coach. Idzik is not exactly known as a scouting guru. Pryor was a hard hitting safety, the type of defensive player Rex covets. The choice to take Pryor had Rex Ryan written all over it. 

Archived