Marcus Maye

thadude

7 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Rex Ryan was the head coach. Idzik is not exactly known as a scouting guru. Pryor was a hard hitting safety, the type of defensive player Rex covets. The choice to take Pryor had Rex Ryan written all over it. 

Rex had zero power when Idzik was here.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Rex had zero power when Idzik was here.

Huh? How so? He was the head coach. He had a ton of 'power'. Obviously the Jets were going in a specific direction with the way they handling the draft, trades and player contracts. But to suggest that the head coach had zero influence is ridiculous. 

25 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Rex Ryan was the head coach. Idzik is not exactly known as a scouting guru. Pryor was a hard hitting safety, the type of defensive player Rex covets. The choice to take Pryor had Rex Ryan written all over it. 

I despise Rex and I'm something of an Idzik apologist, but it was documented that Idzik called Rex from the road and told him about Pryor.

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

You can think whatever you want, but you don't know what you're talking about.  Calvin Pryor was ALL John Idzik.  I promise you that.  Idzik the scout was at work:

John Idzik, the Jets’ general manager, watched that night as Pryor zipped around the field. Upon returning to New Jersey, Idzik interrupted Rex Ryan’s preparation for an upcoming game against the New England Patriots.

Last Oct. 18, in Louisville, Ken., Calvin Pryor’s future with the Jets began to crystallize. John Idzik, the Jets’ general manager, watched that night as Pryor zipped around the field. Upon returning to New Jersey, Idzik interrupted Rex Ryan’s preparation for an upcoming game against the New England Patriots.

“He said, ‘Hey, I just saw a guy you are going to absolutely love,’” Ryan recalled Thursday night at Jets headquarters, shortly after the club selected Pryor with the No. 18 overall pick in the NFL Draft.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/05/calvin_pryors_path_to_jets_can_be_traced_to_october_game_against_blake_bortles.html

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Huh? How so? He was the head coach. He had a ton of 'power'. Obviously the Jets were going in a specific direction with the way they handling the draft, trades and player contracts. But to suggest that the head coach had zero influence is ridiculous. 

He neutered Rex.  He gave him Tajh Boyd for going 8-8 with such a sh*tty roster.  That's about it.

4 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

You can think whatever you want, but you don't know what you're talking about.  Calvin Pryor was ALL John Idzik.  I promise you that.

In your opinion, does Rex ever get another HC gig?

Just now, T0mShane said:

No idea.  But why even take a coaching job with a team that doesn't have a QB?  You're not going to win anything.  When he didn't get the Atlanta job, he should have just gone to TV.

I will tell you this: John Idzik will never get another GM job.

2 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

No idea.  But why even take a coaching job with a team that doesn't have a QB?  You're not going to win anything.  When he didn't get the Atlanta job, he should have just gone to TV.

I will tell you this: John Idzik will never get another GM job.

I don't think Idzik ever really wanted the job he got. 

On 5/5/2017 at 5:13 PM, detectivekimble said:

You can think whatever you want, but you don't know what you're talking about.  Calvin Pryor was ALL John Idzik.  I promise you that.  Idzik the scout was at work:

John Idzik, the Jets’ general manager, watched that night as Pryor zipped around the field. Upon returning to New Jersey, Idzik interrupted Rex Ryan’s preparation for an upcoming game against the New England Patriots.

Last Oct. 18, in Louisville, Ken., Calvin Pryor’s future with the Jets began to crystallize. John Idzik, the Jets’ general manager, watched that night as Pryor zipped around the field. Upon returning to New Jersey, Idzik interrupted Rex Ryan’s preparation for an upcoming game against the New England Patriots.

“He said, ‘Hey, I just saw a guy you are going to absolutely love,’” Ryan recalled Thursday night at Jets headquarters, shortly after the club selected Pryor with the No. 18 overall pick in the NFL Draft.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/05/calvin_pryors_path_to_jets_can_be_traced_to_october_game_against_blake_bortles.html

Just b/c Idzik loved him, doesn't nec. mean Rex didn't love him as well.

Stop acting like you are in the locker room, team meeting and included in discussions between Jets brass. You know as much as I do about exactly what went on between Rex and Idzik when it came to drafting. My point was that this was a classic Ryan pick. A defensive player with high upside that Rex felt he could mold and get the most out of despite his deficiencies.   

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

Stop acting like you are in the locker room, team meeting and included in discussions between Jets brass. You know as much as I do about exactly what went on between Rex and Idzik when it came to drafting. My point was that this was a classic Ryan pick. A defensive player with high upside that Rex felt he could mold and get the most out of despite his deficiencies.   

At the time they took pryor Rex specifically talked about how he feels that big hits and forced fumbles completely change games, and actually referenced an example from Balt/Pitts game where the safety crushed a RB.  Rex then attributed that to why he loved Pryor.  That pick certainly had Rex's fingerprints on it.

On May 5, 2017 at 5:17 PM, T0mShane said:

I think it's not out of the realm of possibility Rex is back here as HC with either Bradway as GM or some other guy in 2018

On 5/4/2017 at 2:53 PM, thadude said:

I didn't even want Cook but Jets fans gloating about passing on him to add a 23rd Strong Safety to the roster is making this threadable feel very bumpable for next season.

I've seen a good bit of that on this board. What is the point? Just to say I told you so?

On 5/5/2017 at 8:02 AM, Jetster said:

I have not seen 1 positive post from you ever. You have to be just a troll here trying to ruin every thread. 

Its not a real person.  It is JetNation AI software programmed to be a dick.. :)

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

You're talking out of your ass.  I'm telling you that I know that Pryor was an Idzik pick.

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

At the time they took pryor Rex specifically talked about how he feels that big hits and forced fumbles completely change games, and actually referenced an example from Balt/Pitts game where the safety crushed a RB.  Rex then attributed that to why he loved Pryor.  That pick certainly had Rex's fingerprints on it.

Rex talks all of his players up once he has them.  Doesn't mean Pryor was his guy when the Jets were on the clock.  He wasn't.

1 hour ago, detectivekimble said:

You're talking out of your ass.  I'm telling you that I know that Pryor was an Idzik pick.

The report everyone says about him being an Idzick pick, 

was him running to tell Rex that he found a guy that Rex was just going to love.

So he was looking for Rex players, Rex gave the go ahead.

I don't know how much of an Idzick pick that really makes it

On 5/5/2017 at 10:20 PM, detectivekimble said:

But why even take a coaching job with a team that doesn't have a QB?  

Because teams that DO have QBs tend not to look for new coaches all that often.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:27 PM, PepPep said:

rex had no power while Idzik was here which was why he "changed" trying to save his job.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

No, Rex was a good coach.  he just needed a good GM to supply him w/ players.  Idzik set this franchise back at least 5 years.

Rex is a good coach, probably just an coordinator.

If you had just one game, he could come up with a hell of a game plan.

But over time his lack of discipline just destroys teams

On 4/29/2017 at 10:09 AM, nico002 said:

Did you see how many DBs went in the 2nd/3rd? No way he lasted more than 5 picks 

I agree. The way the draft is, if there is a player you believe in and he fits your system take him. All these experts really don't know a thing. All that matters is if the guy has the head and the heart and the love for the game. I think Maye does and I think he will be a good one.

11 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Rex is a good coach, probably just an coordinator.

If you had just one game, he could come up with a hell of a game plan.

But over time his lack of discipline just destroys teams

Bowles makes Rex look like Vince Lombardi

On 5/9/2017 at 5:45 PM, nyjunc said:

No, Rex was a good coach.  he just needed a good GM to supply him w/ players.  Idzik set this franchise back at least 5 years.

Neither Rex nor Idzik will ever get a sniff of a Head Coach or GM job again. Both names will be used only as punchlines in conversations between NFL executives long into the future

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Neither Rex nor Idzik will ever get a sniff of a Head Coach or GM job again. Both names will be used only as punchlines in conversations between NFL executives long into the future

rex did a great job in Buffalo but the perception is he failed so he won't get another job but that doesn't change what he did for us.

Archived