Marcus Maye

thadude

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

FWIW via Cimini:

4. Maye day! Maye day! Adams has been the talk of the draft class, which is what you'd expect from the sixth overall pick, but the player who really jumped out during the three-week OTA period was second-round safety Marcus Maye. Working mostly at free safety, he impressed the organization with his ability to digest the defense and limit his mental mistakes on the practice field. It's still early, but the Jets really like the way the Maye-Adams tandem is developing.

kiss of death....

we are cursed

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/3/2017 at 10:40 AM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If the odds were high that Watson or Mahomes would be a top 15 QB, the  Jets would have taken them. Christian Ponder/EJ Manuel/Manziel/Weeden/Gabbert etc are part of a long list of average QB prospects recently taken in the first round that ended up becoming busts because a GM decided it would be a good idea to reach for QB that MAY become a top 15 QB. 

The chances of Adams becoming a pro bowler is far greater than the chances of Watson/Mahomes becoming top 15 NFL Qbs. That is why the Jets took Adams. That is why the Browns took Garret that is why the Niners took Thomas. You don't just take random QBs because they MAY become good NFL players. If you do that every year, you end up with a roster devoid of any talent. The Chiefs and Texans already have a great roster and therefore were able to take a chance on Mahomes/Watson. The Jets are not in a position to pass on A grade players for C grade QBs. 

The Maye pick was a little baffling but I am willing to give Macc the benefit of the doubt as the BPA strategy is generally the smartest way to build a playoff caliber roster. 

Jets have gone BPA for the last 10 years and its gotten them nowhere. Its lazy scouting and only fits if you are picking at the back end of the draft every year. The Jets also have a problem taking high-end talent only from the defensive side of the ball. It made the roster lopsided and that is why you have Bowles kicking field goals down 38.0.

On 5/11/2017 at 4:46 PM, nyjunc said:

whether one feels that way or not he's still the most successful coach we have ever had.  it ended badly but no other coach gave us 2 cracks at a SB. would you rather have that or what we had in 2016?

Thank you, I'm glad someone else feels that way. Rex wanted to be here too unlike Groh, Bellicheck, and Edwards. All Rex needed was a competent GM.

8 hours ago, Harlemnite1 said:

Thank you, I'm glad someone else feels that way. Rex wanted to be here too unlike Groh, Bellicheck, and Edwards. All Rex needed was a competent GM.

that is a great point.  how many coaches walked out on us?  rex loved it here and never wanted to leave, Idzik destroyed his NYJ career.

8 hours ago, Harlemnite1 said:

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

that is a great point.  how many coaches walked out on us?  rex loved it here and never wanted to leave, Idzik destroyed his NYJ career.

I'd do anything to have him back.  

26 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

did you want him to have a Jets themed car in orchard Park?

23 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think his was an F250.  My F150 is decked out in all Jets colors.  It's sick, bro.

I wanted him in a Jets themed Prius...

like stuffing an elephant into a small pillowcase 

9 hours ago, Harlemnite1 said:

Jets have gone BPA for the last 10 years and its gotten them nowhere. Its lazy scouting and only fits if you are picking at the back end of the draft every year. The Jets also have a problem taking high-end talent only from the defensive side of the ball. It made the roster lopsided and that is why you have Bowles kicking field goals down 38.0.

BPA is only effective if the scouting reports are accurate and the GM is selecting the right players in the draft. As you point out, this hasn't been happening. But don't blame it on the BPA philosophy- blame it on the staff. Other teams have gone BPA quite successfully.

On 4/29/2017 at 10:42 AM, Raideraholic said:

Might not be the most glamorous picks ( drafting two safeties) but the Jets still were able to get two versatile safeties that could be foundation players for their defense for years.   

There isn't anything wrong with that.    Jets perceived the safety position a weakness, and they attacked that area in the draft With two early picks.     

A lot of Jet fans might not like those non sexy picks, but eventually they will come to appreciate those as pretty good moves on their part.

They had to do something to fix a secondary that couldn't cover anyone. Both Maye and Adams will be solid players for the next several years and Maye will break the second round bust jinx.

16 hours ago, Harlemnite1 said:

In certain that if they just followed kipers mock drafts, theyd have better players

12 hours ago, Harlemnite1 said:

I certainly am not complaining about Leonard WIlliams or Jamal Adams but it's amazing to me that no matter how much defense we draft, we're still never a shutdown type defense. The Pats always seem to be able to put up 38 against us.

I certainly am not complaining about Leonard WIlliams or Jamal Adams but it's amazing to me that no matter how much defense we draft, we're still never a shutdown type defense. The Pats always seem to be able to put up 38 against us.

That like saying ... i really like my ferrari ... but this aston martin keeps beating me

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

We harp so much on picking the same position twice in a row we're not focusing on the player in question. Seeing as how he was a good value pick, has a decent head on his shoulders and indeed fulfilled a need I'll just be happy we chose a credible and promising young player.

13 hours ago, Harlemnite1 said:

Rex was a piece of crap at coach that actually got worse the longer he coached. But you have to congratulate Woody for scouring the earth to find someone as bad.

32 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

We harp so much on picking the same position twice in a row we're not focusing on the player in question. Seeing as how he was a good value pick, has a decent head on his shoulders and indeed fulfilled a need I'll just be happy we chose a credible and promising young player.

The next Eric McMillan. 

McMillane-BIG.jpg

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I think it's 50/50 Bowles might actually quit during the season 

On June 11, 2017 at 8:09 PM, C Mart said:

FWIW via Cimini:

4. Maye day! Maye day! Adams has been the talk of the draft class, which is what you'd expect from the sixth overall pick, but the player who really jumped out during the three-week OTA period was second-round safety Marcus Maye. Working mostly at free safety, he impressed the organization with his ability to digest the defense and limit his mental mistakes on the practice field. It's still early, but the Jets really like the way the Maye-Adams tandem is developing.

Maye's game seems translate better to the NFL than Adams's.

3 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Collins is good and was a second rounder.  I still think Mac was smoking something when he took a safety who is an average athlete at #6.

Any safety who is considered a "big hitter" -- that's almost always a red flag.  He can't cover for S but man when he tackles

11 minutes ago, thadude said:

Any safety who is considered a "big hitter" -- that's almost always a red flag.  He can't cover for S but man when he tackles

Even though he played nickel or free safety for 70% of his snaps. Generally he's considered good at everything but if it makes you feel good to make stuff up go right ahead.

One of the biggest problem with last year's D was all the mental miscues our safety's had. Pryor in particular got scapegoated pretty hard this offseason, apparently they didn't like his football aptitude or attitude off the field- not that he did anything seriously wrong, I think it was a "You're either part of the problem or part of the solution" kind of thing and he provided nothing when the chips were down.

So... Mac went after two guys with a lot in the way of locker room leadership and football intelligence. These are two guys that should be able hit the ground running in terms of learning Bowles defense and working on improving themselves and also making each other better. They're an ideal response to last year's debacle in the defensive backfield.

25 minutes ago, the Claw said:

Where do you come up with this stuff?

51 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Even though he played nickel or free safety for 70% of his snaps. Generally he's considered good at everything but if it makes you feel good to make stuff up go right ahead.

Sadly it's becoming a constant theme with that poster. Just makes up stuff to further his argument to the point that it's just not even worth acknowledging, let alone respond to; I'm now getting to that point myself after a few "debates."

5 hours ago, thadude said:

Yeah, totally. He's exactly like Calvin Pryor. We just drafted another Calvin Pryor. I remember when Calvin Pryor was being called the best player in his draft. It's like deja vu!

12 hours ago, kdels62 said:

But does he have the athleticism to cover guys at the NFL level?  I don't think he does.

Maye does, though.

Archived