The Jets got owned by the rest of the AFC east

Beerfish

as far as positional value goes.

Buffalo picked 4 spots after us:

A prime #1 corner in the 1st round after trading down in Tredavious White

A good looking Wr prospect in the 2nd round in Zay Jones

A decent looking oline prospect in Dion Dawkins in the the 3rd

An extra  1st round pick in next years draft.

Miami picked at 22, 16 spots after us.

Round 1 A good looking pass rusher in Charles Harris

Round 2 a hybrid linebacker, in Raekwon Mcmillan their version of Darron Lee except we picked our guy one full round higher

Round 3 Cordrea Tankersly a decent CB prospect

Patriots: no picks until the 3rd round.

Brandon Cooks via their trade with New orleans

3rd round A good looking pass rusher prospect in Derek Rivers

3rd round Antiono Garcia an offensive tackle prospect

Our rivals are taking value pass rushers, olneman, corners and offensive weapons the jets take two safeties, yes one of them is a high end prospect and a WR who sounds like an Enunwa clone.

The Jets deserve every bit of blasting they are taking by some of us over this draft.  We are 'set' with two rookie safeties and have a hard working wr who is not game breaker and we have not even looked at the host of other important positions. 

We got owned, especially by the Bills.,  think of this Doug friggin Whalley made our gm look like an amateur.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Round 2 a hybrid linebacker, in Raekwon Mcmillan their version of Darron Lee except we picked our guy one full round higher

Our rivals are taking value pass rushers, olneman, corners and offensive weapons the jets take two safeties, yes one of them is a high end prospect and a WR who sounds like an Enunwa clone.

The Jets deserve every bit of blasting they are taking by some of us over this draft.  We are 'set' with two rookie safeties and have a hard working wr who is not game breaker and we have not even looked at the host of other important positions. 

We got owned, especially by the Bills.,  think of this Doug friggin Whalley made our gm look like an amateur.

Oy

image.gif

Charles Harris is terrible, but otherwise this is tough to argue with. Because this website functions as a support group for people who think of Rex as a surrogate father, we're not supposed to say that Doug Whaley is a decent GM, but he actually is.

1 minute ago, Butterfield said:

Lol, my bills and dolphin fan friends are saying the opposite.

I would easily take Bufflaos draft over ours. Very good corner a wr better than the guy we drafted and an olineman, plus a 1st round pick next year.

We have no pass rushers

we have no te

our rbs are okay but older

our oline has been ignored

we are hoping with our corners

we have no extra draft capital for next year.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I would easily take Bufflaos draft over ours. Very good corner a wr better than the guy we drafted and an olineman, plus a 1st round pick next year.

We have no pass rushers

we have no te

Oilers up 2-0. Why do you care about this sh*t?

I think a lot of people are missing the point here about rounds 1-2. Safety was one of our weakest position if not the weakest besides qb, Pryor is awful and Gilchrist is overrated. We take a top 2 player in the first round in Adams then snag another safety in the 2nd round. I like it but it is risky, By not going corner we are relying heavily on Claibourne to have a solid non injury plagued year and that's definitely a risk. Having said that we'll most likely see both Gilchrist and Pryor gone which is just opening up more money to spend in 2018 which means we'll likely have a high pick in a solid qb class as well as a decent amount of money to spend to improve the roster. Darnold and as of now 61mil in cap space to spend on free agents. That's why we drafted 2 safeties so we don't have to buy one next year

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We have no pass rushers

we have no te

I grew up outside buffalo, most if my friends and extended family are bills fans. They are just as upset as everyone here.

They are upset the jets had a player like Adams fall into our lap.

We have no pass rushers
we have no te

LMAO ... can't tell if your trolling ... Adams smoke all these picks

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

THE  plan..

hqdefault.jpg

:rolleyes:

Dumbest thread I've ever read, your argument is to add "good looking prospect" before each of their picks?

jets:

- second best player in draft at 6, one of best safety prospects in last 10 years

- another talented safety from an sec school that flashed first round talent. It missed a few games with injury

- most underrated wr in draft, great burst, plays physical, best blocking wr, best YAC wr in draft and can still be a deep threat 

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

LMAO ... can't tell if your trolling ... Adams smoke all these picks

You win in  this league by getting after the QB, having players make big plays, protecting the QB and by defending the pass.

We have used 2 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder in the past two drafts to defend TE, rb and slot WRs.

We have zero pass rush, our CB's are a huge ? we have no plan for oline youth, we have no threat on offense other than anderson and his 9 route.

We have not obtained any extra draft capital to get a QB.

10 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

I grew up outside buffalo, most if my friends and extended family are bills fans. They are just as upset as everyone here.

That's because all fans think they are the only smart make believe GM's on the planet.. I remember in 1965 some fans were pissed at taking Namath with the 1st pick because his knee's were shot and he wouldn't last 3 years not being able to run like he did in college.. Four of our 1st 7 picks that year were QB's  including the Heisman winner John Huarte with the 2nd rd pick..

You win in  this league by getting after the QB, having players make big plays, protecting the QB and by defending the pass.

We have used 2 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder in the past two drafts to defend TE, rb and slot WRs.

We have zero pass rush, our CB's are a huge ? we have no plan for oline youth, we have no threat on offense other than anderson and his 9 route.

We have not obtained any extra draft capital to get a QB.

defending the pass ... both these strong safeties are great in coverage against TEs ... aka NE

1 minute ago, nico002 said:

Dumbest thread I've ever read, your argument is to add "good looking prospect" before each of their picks?

jets:

- second best player in draft at 6, one of best safety prospects in last 10 years

- another talented safety from an sec school that flashed first round talent. It missed a few games with injury

- most underrated wr in draft, great burst, plays physical, best blocking wr, best YAC wr in draft and can still be a deep threat 

No pass rusher, no cbs, no oline, no offensive weapons.

It will be fun to watch our great young safeties look bad because we can't rush the passer and the other team is torching our Cbs

Not only that expect our high end safeties to be just as confused as the guys we are dumpling due to the awful D coaching scheme.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No pass rusher, no cbs, no oline, no offensive weapons.

It will be fun to watch our great young safeties look bad because we can't rush the passer and the other team is torching our Cbs

Not only that expect our high end safeties to be just as confused as the guys we are dumpling due to the awful D coaching scheme.

6 picks to go.  You're better than this, Beer.

Plus, if we can get a little better in the secondary, our DL, with Richardson FBOW, should get to the QB a bit more than last year.

9 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

defending the pass ... both these safeties are great in coverage against TEs ... aka NE

You're not wrong... but aren't you tired of the Jets always being so reactionary? Pryor was supposed to be the guy who took the top off against Gronk... then it was D. Lee who could drop into coverage and help against TEs.

I can take the BPA argument but I can't honestly say that Maye was BPA there (disclaimer: I know nothing). Maye might be great.. but doubling down on the same position after a tough year screams Mike Nugent in the 2nd for me.

You're not wrong... but aren't you tired of the Jets always being so reactionary? Pryor was supposed to be the guy who took the top off against Gronk... then it was D. Lee who could drop into coverage and help against TEs.

I can take the BPA argument but I can't honestly say that Maye was BPA there (disclaimer: I know nothing). Maye might be great.. but doubling down on the same position after a tough year screams Mike Nugent in the 2nd for me.

"

How he fits: The Jets’ downfield pass defense was horrendous, as they allowed a league-high 17 yards per attempt on throws of at least 20 yards. Maye (6-foot, 210 pounds) is versatile, meaning he can play strong and free safety. Ditto, Adams.

"

i'm ok with this ... better to pick value rather than need ... we lucked out that adams fell to us ... ala Big Cat

Just now, nycdan said:

6 picks to go.  You're better than this, Beer.

Plus, if we can get a little better in the secondary, our DL, with Richardson FBOW, should get to the QB a bit more than last year.

oh we will by the end of the draft filled out late round picks in all of the key positions after using our high end picks on safeties and a wr of the ilk we already have.

Adams is a super looking prospect,  Maye may be all right, stewart is hard nosed player, but we are prioritizing the wrong positions and gaining no draft capital.  Just like last year an small ilb and a long shot qb prospect. 

35 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Charles Harris is terrible, but otherwise this is tough to argue with. Because this website functions as a support group for people who think of Rex as a surrogate father, we're not supposed to say that Doug Whaley is a decent GM, but he actually is.

You shut your mouth.

I look at it this way.  We need to upgrade at least 10 positions on this team to be competitive.  Putting QB aside, we have probably hit on 2 of them so far.  Not sure the WR is a necessary upgrade right now, but there's room for another good one.  Now we need to hit on OL, TE and maybe RB.  Then we can fill holes through trades and pickups.  Long term, I'd rather grab 2 great starters than 4 mediocre starters in a draft because in a few years, you end up with a roster that has a healthy balance of great players.  When I first saw the tweet about Mayes I thought someone was trolling Twitter, but after I played soccer, got clobbered in the head and got 7 stitches last night, I read up on him and I'm not as annoyed as I was. 

My perfect draft would have been to trade back in round 1 to around 12, grab Howard, and then maybe get Mayes in the 2nd while having multiple extra picks to play with.  But then seeing how Mac trades back, we might not have gotten much anyway.  After last season, there's a lot to be said for 'clean' prospects.  No red flags, no injury concerns.  Can't do that every year, but I think this year, those attributes were at a premium on our board.

52 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

OK - just gunna touch on one thing - the WR we took is 5'11 204lbs - how the heck is he an enunwa clone? lmao - cmonnnn mannnnn - do your homework - he's been compared to jeremy kerley 

So your argument is that we got the best pick in the draft out of the afc east and we suck? bills did okay dolphins eh and Patriots are stacking their roster to win another superbowl before brady retires. If our plan is to rebuild we are doing a decent job. Did you really expect us to be competitive this year? Yes, macc said we aren't rebuilding we are trying to win now...he isn't going to come out and say our plan is to suck next year and try to only win a game or two in hopes of landing sam darnold or josh rosen...

Just now, bealeb319 said:

So your argument is that we got the best pick in the draft out of the afc east and we suck? bills did okay dolphins eh and Patriots are stacking their roster to win another superbowl before brady retires. If our plan is to rebuild we are doing a decent job. Did you really expect us to be competitive this year? Yes, macc said we aren't rebuilding we are trying to win now...he isn't going to come out and say our plan is to suck next year and try to only win a game or two in hopes of landing sam darnold or josh rosen...

I agree. while i thought we should have taken a CB instead of the safety, after doing a little research on the guy im happy with the pick... He brings leadership/good character.... is versatile - can play both SS & FS, very physical. Overall, from everything I've read, he's a very good player and was highly regarded by his teammates at Florida. The WR i was unfamiliar with and im kind of just hoping he pans out - looks like he's gunna be a slot guy/special teams guy for now. I would have rather seen them go TE - but whatever. 

Like you said, we aren't going to be competitive this year... at all imo... i say the wins over/under should be 4 - i dont see them winning more than 4 games unless one of our QBs is touched by the hand of God. 

1 minute ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

I agree. while i thought we should have taken a CB instead of the safety, after doing a little research on the guy im happy with the pick... He brings leadership/good character.... is versatile - can play both SS & FS, very physical. Overall, from everything I've read, he's a very good player and was highly regarded by his teammates at Florida. The WR i was unfamiliar with and im kind of just hoping he pans out - looks like he's gunna be a slot guy/special teams guy for now. I would have rather seen them go TE - but whatever. 

Like you said, we aren't going to be competitive this year... at all imo... i say the wins over/under should be 4 - i dont see them winning more than 4 games unless one of our QBs is touched by the hand of God. 

I was somewhat expecting them to go after a tight end i heard our new offensive coordinator values that position highly. They passed on some pretty decent tight end prospects which i think could speak highly of how they feel about Sefarian-Jenkins.

Bogus argument. No way we can know now. On the surface we got one of the three best players in the draft to fill a huge need. Even if the rest of a draft is fair to mediocre if you get a superstar and the guy is another Ed Reed or Polamalu then it's a good draft. Some of our fans are negative from the get go,. They want to trash every move and they don't know what they are talking about. It's true every team has different evaluations on players and coaching staffs and scouts have their favorites based on a number of things including schemes, etc. If we do not draft a Qb I'll be happy. It will give the 3 guys we have under contract more reps etc. We'll have an open competition and the best guy starts,I predict it will be McCown. 

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

I think a lot of people are missing the point here about rounds 1-2. Safety was one of our weakest position if not the weakest besides qb, Pryor is awful and Gilchrist is overrated. We take a top 2 player in the first round in Adams then snag another safety in the 2nd round. I like it but it is risky, By not going corner we are relying heavily on Claibourne to have a solid non injury plagued year and that's definitely a risk. Having said that we'll most likely see both Gilchrist and Pryor gone which is just opening up more money to spend in 2018 which means we'll likely have a high pick in a solid qb class as well as a decent amount of money to spend to improve the roster. Darnold and as of now 61mil in cap space to spend on free agents. That's why we drafted 2 safeties so we don't have to buy one next year

When you go into a draft NEEDING one of the top QB's, it helps to have all the draft capital possible to better your chances of obtaining said QB.  An extra 1st would have been a good start.

Just now, greenwave81 said:

When you go into a draft NEEDING one of the top QB's, it helps to have all the draft capital possible to better your chances of obtaining said QB.  An extra 1st would have been a good start.

Agreed. I don't think anyone would have come up to #6 though

Archived