Decker is getting cut

Maxman

Quincy and Robbie are the only two WRs that played well last year. The others showed some talent but are not sure things. Adding two WRs with talent is a good thing. We are trying to improve our passing and pass defense. Hard to get too upset with that, though many here are.

2 minutes ago, IntoTheGreen said:

I think both WR additions are 3-4th WRs, Drafting both only shoot us in the foot since the WR position had the most depth on our team already. This just makes us have to cut from our strength rather than add more talent to weakness. 

Well they need to start somewhere.  Enunwa was a 6th rounder, and last year he moved up to 3rd receiver/H Back.   Now with Marshall gone, looks like he's moving even higher unless one of the rookies distinguish themselves.

17 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Two wide receivers? I think that means bye bye Decker.

This is what Happens when you call out your management and then don't show up . The Jets are cleaning house, and it's about time.  Do your job and let us do ours is the message . 

Last year some of the best Jet contributors came via free agency . Those were players the scouts wanted, because they job is to find football players, not athletes .  At the back end of the draft, is when scouts earn their pay, and the Jets front office is loaded with scouts .   

We're looking at potentially 20mil+ in cap savings between the possible trades/cuts of Decker/Sheldon/Pryor/Gilchrist.

Not bad.  Still pissed we wasted 12mil on $hitz, but we may still have a little piggy bank for FAs next year.

14 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Cutting the second-best WR on the team and one of the few standup vets on the roster because we drafted a pair of WRs in the middle rounds. Sounds like a Jets move to me. 

this would be like cutting obi wan kenobi from the jedi. 

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Jets running an affirmative action program for white Wide Receivers.

A fast receiver that can't catch is worthless, but a quick receiver with good hand is worth his weight in gold . Decker was that, but he wanted to play GM . Let's see if he can find himself a job .  

18 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

A fast receiver that can't catch is worthless, but a quick receiver with good hand is worth his weight in gold . Decker was that, but he wanted to play GM . Let's see if he can find himself a job .  

40 times for big guys can be deceiving.  Sometimes it takes them longer to get to top speed, but once they get there, you can't catch them.  Fournette runs a 4.5, but once he's at full speed, he can take it to the house.

5 minutes ago, bigalbarracuda said:

Idk, I think Jalin Marshall/Charon Peake are in more danger of being cut.

Doubtful, they don't have big cap numbers, they were brought in by Macc and they aren't recovering from two major surgeries.

Looks like the Jets picks are big on character and leadership and Decker and Sheldumb are the two holdouts from the boys club that wrecked the chemistry of this team. I would be very surprised if Decker and Sheldone are not given their walking papers or just traded. Like Day 3 of the draft quite a bit so far, actually.

48 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Cutting the second-best WR on the team and one of the few standup vets on the roster because we drafted a pair of WRs in the middle rounds. Sounds like a Jets move to me. 

Problem is he gets hurt every time he stands up.

1 minute ago, pointman said:

Feels like we have a lot of young unproven wide receivers. Cutting Decker who has proven to be solid seems premature. 

He's also proven to be expensive, fragile and a pain in the ass (arguing for Fitz).

I'm not saying he has to go, just that I won't lose any sleep if he goes.

If he stays, hopefully he learns to just shut up and play.  And maybe he can even stay healthy for a while.

19 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Doubtful, they don't have big cap numbers, they were brought in by Macc and they aren't recovering from two major surgeries.

Fair point... hopefully he comes back healthy and they can get a 2018 pick for him (send him to Nashville, his wife would love that)..

I was no fan of his lobbying for Fitzpatrick, but I still think it would be foolish, regardless as to whether he's in the team's long-term plans or not (with this being a throwaway season of sorts).

If they're trying to give one or both of this FO's two drafted QBs a serious tryout, instead of stacking the cards against them on purpose (i.e. tank) which I find hard to believe, then you give either/both of them the best receiving corps you can. That would include Decker, and he didn't suddenly become the 4th-5th best WR on the team yet, just because they have two new rookie WRs.

I'd say the same for keeping him in 2018 as well, whether or not they draft a QB in round 1, for the same reason. When he's no longer one of the 3 best WRs on the team, then he becomes expendable. 

Archived